Gay Authors Novella Contest Fall 2009
- Feeling Comfortable In My Own Skin - Peter Wallace is a freshman in college and feels a bit overwhelmed and out of place. He wants to do his best, but he's about to learn more than what his professors lecture about in their classes or what he can glean out of the textbooks. During his initial psychology class, Peter spots a young man, Aiden Perry, and feels an immediate attraction to him. Although Peter cannot see how someone as handsome and intelligent as Aiden would take an interest in him, fate intervenes and presents Peter with the opportunity to get to know Aiden better. Even though Aiden only offers Peter some temporary assistance with a problem, they quickly form a bond of friendship and Aiden ends up teaching Peter much, much more than he can learn in any of his classes. In fact, Aiden teaches Peter a very valuable lesson when he convinces Peter that the only way he can enjoy life is when he can accept and feel comfortable with himself.
- Fish Out of Water - Danny and David are two typical American teenagers who share a passion for skateboards, alternative music, philosophy . . . and each other. In spite of living in different cities, they become best friends and lovers, but just when it appears they will finally be together, David's father, a Hasidic rabbi, sends him away. This is the story of two young men in a world that often doesn't understand them, trying to make a place for themselves in Baltimore, New York and Jerusalem.
- Memories of Forgotten Love - Noah wakes from a coma to find that he has no memory, none at all. As he slowly comes back to life, learning to walk and talk, being introduced to family and friend who are all strangers to him, he begins to realise that something is wrong with the picture he is being presented with, very wrong. He begins to remember, helped by his best friend Luke, and uncovers a deadly secret that threatens his sanity, his security and his friend's life.
- State of Mind - In a world where some people are born Gifted, able to use their minds to influence people and control objects, agent Aleck Devlin's mission is simple: find rogue agent Grier Crist and report his whereabouts to the Organization. But Aleck soon learns that the principles he's built his life on are lies, and his friends want him dead. Now he and Grier are on the run, desperate to unravel the Organization's true intentions before any more innocents are killed. Their success hinges on some unlikely allies and a mutual attraction neither can resist.
- Trillion Dollar Family - Sometimes, life just sucks. Jared Warren knows this better than anyone. His 'loving' marriage has had thirteen long, long years to explain it to him. In detail. But when the choice between an experimental life-saving procedure and dying comes up, he doesn't hesitate. After all, he has to protect his kids! Even if the procedure sounds like something out of a century old TV show from the 1970s...