A Ghost of Christmas Past by Codey

• Site Administrator

A Ghost of Christmas Past by Codey

It was Christmas Eve and the day before his birthday but Ricky was afraid to go home. Alone, abused and confused, was there no one to help him conquer his fear?

:nuke: :nuke: Spoilers Below!!! :nuke: :nuke:

Edited by Graeme

This was an extremely emotional and evocative story! I was completely swept up in Ricky's world and felt so very sorry for him. This story really touches on many thoughtful themes and really speaks deeply to one's emotions. In fact this was one of the few entries which made me cry (so you know I enjoyed it! :boy: ).

It's beautifully written and a real treat to read! I'm so happy that I got the chance to read it!

Awesome :great:

-Kevin

• Site Administrator

As some people know, Codey passed away last year :( It was not unexpected (he had long term health problems as a result of a car accident when he was a lot younger), but it was still distressing.

A couple of weeks ago, his partner, Tim, told me that they had been going through Codey's files and had found an interesting short story. I took it as providence, and asked if he would be consider submitting it to the anthology. I'm happy to say, he did so :)

There's certainly a lot of emotion in this story -- a trademark of Codey's writing. The way it ended up in the anthology also sometimes makes me wonder if Codey's spirit directed his family into finding the story just at the right time :) A real-life ghost story, if you like :D

As some people know, Codey passed away last year :( It was not unexpected (he had long term health problems as a result of a car accident when he was a lot younger), but it was still distressing.

That information really is distressing! :(

Somehow, the fact that this story is my first contact with Codey's writings adds to my sadness.

Still, at least his stories will help keep his memory alive and people will know about the sort of person he was from the stories he wrote.

Well, here's my comment on the story, which is well-written and manages to evoke deep emotions without being too emotional.

My anger at Ricky's mother is even greater than my anger at George. She had a 'duty of care' to Ricky, and although there will be some who want to offer excuses for her, I would not accept any excuse, not even if she were in fear of her own life. There are some things which can never be forgiven and I could never forgive any real-life mother who did what she did. Regardless of what the law says, she should be kept in prison for at least as long as George.

Kit