American Differences

I hope my first trip to UK will be as exciting as Jamie.

I just hope Matt's parents doesn't walk in on them humping cause they didn't lock the door.

In comes JOSH!!!! All pissed because MATT didn't meet up with him after school.

Josh looks at a KODAK moment!!!

Wow an American Hot Dog!!!

My first question is Do we always assume that Blonde SF guys are gay.

What if he was nowegian or viking?

Maybe this will make a good CJames Blonde moment?

Hi Guys!

@Verm- Thanks! I'm pleased you enjoyed the first chapter. I liked that little scene, I'm glad I managed to get someone to giggle. :P

@hh5- American Hot Dog!! :lol: , that one had me in hysterics. Next time I'll be sure to leave a message out for Matt, telling him to lock the door if Jamie comes over.

Why do we assume that? It's a good question. I don't have an answer, but I agree with you. Then again if he was Norwegian or Viking (and blonde, and hot) then I'd like to think that he's gay. But I think that it's a case of wishful thinking, rather than there being any fact to it being true.

Hi Guys!

@Verm- Thanks! I'm pleased you enjoyed the first chapter. I liked that little scene, I'm glad I managed to get someone to giggle. :P

@hh5- American Hot Dog!! :lol: , that one had me in hysterics. Next time I'll be sure to leave a message out for Matt, telling him to lock the door if Jamie comes over.

Why do we assume that? It's a good question. I don't have an answer, but I agree with you. Then again if he was Norwegian or Viking (and blonde, and hot) then I'd like to think that he's gay. But I think that it's a case of wishful thinking, rather than there being any fact to it being true.

Hey - the American Hot Dog is the wide lots of filler compared to the NY Yankee Franks ( Narrow and Lean meat)

I don't have the statistic results to which preference a str8 girl would prefer vs a gay boy??

The results are skewed due to the lack of American Hot Dog at a NY Yankee stadium

Blonde is that the ubiquitous term or literary device for a Gay Light bulb going off on GayDar??

Which way does it go off?? The more dirty blonde or the golden german or the lighter Norwegian white??

I think you miss the opportunity to inject a Casper the movie line for Matt

"THERES A _________ IN MY BED!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

The missing words "BLONDE GAY BOY"

I was thinking to show accents on paper would require the use of American or British phonetics.

This might get the reader to actually try out saying the words or sentences.

I hope the boys don't go visiting Welch district. I can't imagine seeing like a ozzie Osbournes type character making moves on the American. unless ozzie pulls out his blackberry to pm his words in uk english.

My other question Matt was on the question of tongue tasting the American Love and Jamie was cursing thru the English Channel during a French KISS?

I love the would imagery the American Sword dancing with the English Sword prior to eruption like War of 1812 canons creaming each other crotches.

Hi hh5,

"Which way does it go off?? The more dirty blonde or the golden german or the lighter Norwegian white??"

I'd say Golden German, but again, that's just my personal preference.

Using phonetics might work, however I have no idea on how to use them and I'm not sure if other people would understand what I was saying. It's a good idea though and would have been interesting to see.

Hehehe, I haven't planned any school trips to Wales yet, but I'll be sure to give them blackberrys if the school decided otherwise.

Cruising through the English Channel, I like the sound of that! But you're right, it was a French kiss.

Thanks! I really liked writing that part in there. Two swords + one eruption = perfect. I didn't make the link between 1812 and the story, although it would be a fitting (if somewhat ironic) analogy.

Hi hh5,

I'd say Golden German, but again, that's just my personal preference.

Using phonetics might work, however I have no idea on how to use them and I'm not sure if other people would understand what I was saying. It's a good idea though and would have been interesting to see.

Hehehe, I haven't planned any school trips to Wales yet, but I'll be sure to give them blackberrys if the school decided otherwise.

Cruising through the English Channel, I like the sound of that! But you're right, it was a French kiss.

Thanks! I really liked writing that part in there. Two swords + one eruption = perfect. I didn't make the link between 1812 and the story, although it would be a fitting (if somewhat ironic) analogy.

mmmm, Maybe another take

Spotting an erection like Two Warship Cannons, one English, one American - Pointing and training their targets on one American crotch , one English crotch - Both cannons fire - Both sides creamed in the battle field - Victory spreaded in their shorts.

Both sides sported an arousing cheer!! :lol:

"Wow..."

"...Yeah"

Better? :lol::D

I know - I'm a Romantic bloke

Here's a link to give examples of pronunciation

http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/hal...ine/english.htm

I guess that certain key words in the dialog could be put into that certain pronunciation

as key laughing imagery

I guess there should be more examples somewhere on the net

I have something similar in Kenny and Peter , Peter has problems in pronouncing words

con-con-con-something-cus? ... Oh, well

Don't get me wrong, I really liked your idea of the War of 1812, and now your idea of the warships. I suppose that there's quite a few analogies which could be used for this part.

That's quite a good site you provided there, thanks! The one that stood out there was the 'Zed' vs 'Zee', How can we make it through the entire alphabet being the same, yet get stuck somewhat on Z? I don't get it. (Psst, just say 'Zed' ) :P

I will be putting more of those pronunciation differences in the story, so it should prove amusing to see how they react to certain words/phrases.

I will be putting more of those pronunciation differences in the story, so it should prove amusing to see how they react to certain words/phrases.

New member here. I just wanted to say that in addition to pronunciation differences, you should think about colloquial differences. For instance, it kind of threw me when Jamie said "Yeah. Spot on." (in reply to Matt's guess about his California accent). And then in the next sentence he mentions his "auntie". I don't know anyone raised in the US who would use these terms. I wondered if Jamie was trying on some Britishisms but then none of the other boys commented on it, so I presume that was not the case.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound too negative. I enjoyed the first chapter. Especially the thumbnail sketches of each of the characters as they appear in the story. Just enough detail without sounding like a recitation of one's CV (another term rarely used in the US).

-- Bob

New member here. I just wanted to say that in addition to pronunciation differences, you should think about colloquial differences. For instance, it kind of threw me when Jamie said "Yeah. Spot on." (in reply to Matt's guess about his California accent). And then in the next sentence he mentions his "auntie". I don't know anyone raised in the US who would use these terms. I wondered if Jamie was trying on some Britishisms but then none of the other boys commented on it, so I presume that was not the case.

Anyway, I don't mean to sound too negative. I enjoyed the first chapter. Especially the thumbnail sketches of each of the characters as they appear in the story. Just enough detail without sounding like a recitation of one's CV (another term rarely used in the US).

-- Bob

Good points Bob, I gave EmulatedLove a link on something that might just point out some colloquial differences but thanks for reminding us the obvious ones that might not been so obvious.

I read Graeme stories and I ran into Austrailian\English colloquial differences - that - I sort of know and don't - and - skipped checking out what they ment as I was trying to just get thru the story.

I am not sure if EmulatedLove ever saw the Seinfeld AmericanExpress commerical.

Seinfeld basically soak up the british atmosphere(colloquial differences) to re-tune his jokes to his UK audience.

Heya,

@BarefootBoy2k- Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay here. Damn, you caught me out! I'll try hard not to let this happen again. The link that hh5 provided should help me in that regard.

@hh5- Yeah, thanks again for the link, it'll help me out loads. I just checked out the commercial and I see what you mean, although I think there's more chance that people over here would understand the 'American' version of the joke, rather than the Cockney one! I won't be having Jamie speak any rhyming slang, so you can all sleep easy now.

Heya,

@BarefootBoy2k- Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay here. Damn, you caught me out! I'll try hard not to let this happen again. The link that hh5 provided should help me in that regard.

@hh5- Yeah, thanks again for the link, it'll help me out loads. I just checked out the commercial and I see what you mean, although I think there's more chance that people over here would understand the 'American' version of the joke, rather than the Cockney one! I won't be having Jamie speak any rhyming slang, so you can all sleep easy now.

You can use what ever you want to spot on the difference

In the author's notes you can put the link reference to help the would be reader

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockney_rhyming_slang

I did a wiki and found what you meant - some can be funny and some can be a cryptic as the Native American Language used in WindTakers

The only issue for Americans is understanding wording in the sentence but then again the argument can go the other way around too for the UK

I'll try to find the example and re-edit my post here

I probably see what you mean by being lite or generically used - the heavier ones could probably need a season American or UK person to catch the puns and stuff.

Hey if Jamie runs into something that hard for him to understand and its realistic that he will need his bf to cope with the difference - as sort of spit of reality

You're absolutely right, Cockney is seldom used and rarely heard outside the specific places in London. Could you imagine if we all went around talking like that? It'd be a disaster! :blink:

Jamie will have to ask Matt about a couple of phrases, but for the most part he should be able to understand. It's quite funny because it is becoming increasingly common to hear the odd American phrases used in schools over here, (No doubt thanks to MTV and Youtube!).

• Site Moderator
Hi Drewbie,

I'm glad you enjoyed the first chapter. I still can't believe I let that one pass me! I promise, promise, promise to say Aunt from now on. :D

I've got an out for you on this one Em, depending upon how much contact/communication Jamie had with his aunt while growing up, he could know to address her as 'auntie'.

I did spot another 'verses' issue that I'll pm to you.

• 2 weeks later...

How does a Right-handed american hot dog get down with a left-handed british sausage?

In a dance both would wanna lead or rather point the way? :lol:

You know Jamie might one day get corner by the group of girls - without mattie around - then they get all get all touchy of his american muscles - and - Jamie may need of a shrink? Mattie to the rescue!!

Would it be scary if the most pretty and dominating girl gets after Jamie? Hunting for proof Jamie is straight?

Some scary thoughts unless Jamie converts to BI-ism. :blink:

Found this pic of Sterling Knight

Looks like an almost American Difference theme

http://www.imageocean.net/images/owxqb3cvr1hp0a9fbet.jpg

• Site Moderator
Found this pic of Sterling Knight

Looks like an almost American Difference theme

http://www.imageocean.net/images/owxqb3cvr1hp0a9fbet.jpg

Reminds me of someone that I know, that I have seen if a few years.

At some point, he could just tell them that he's seeing someone and they might leave him alone.

Hi Guys,

@hh5- I don't think Matt will leave Jamie to fend for himself against the girls. Maybe he might start to enjoy the extra attention or maybe he will continue to detest the situation. He hasn't given them any reason to think he's gay yet, but some might start poking around where they don't belong.

Quite a nice picture you have there... :P

@Talon- That is one option that he has, and it might work until they think it's their turn.

• 2 weeks later...

hehe I'm imagining Haley being Jamie wife!! Maybe in a school play!!

Maybe Matt plays the guy cheating on Haley??

hey maybe a Gay Play!! in school??

----------

Bad news ---- a straight party!! outing risk!! or more American Differences.

----

Surprise no banter on Queens English!!

----

me waiting to see Jamie to clean Matt's the spots off "Spotted D**k"

or Matt to test how strong is the All American Hot D*g with Everything on it.

over the Dutch Loaf!!!