Two Fathers

Haha...I need to go to Europe and write songs....where dont have to rhyme :)

But I think it's sweet, too :wub::wub::wub:

Well it sounded really good in his language! I was thinking what a euphonic sound it had! It probably just doesn't sound is good in English. What language was that anyway :*) I'm guessing a slavic one?

That was a REALLY beautiful and sweet song. I actually teared up a bit :wub::wub:

Thanks for posting it Graeme!! :D

take care all and have an awesome day! :hug:

Kevin

Well it sounded really good in his language! I was thinking what a euphonic sound it had! It probably just doesn't sound is good in English. What language was that anyway :*) I'm guessing a slavic one?

That was a REALLY beautiful and sweet song. I actually teared up a bit :wub::wub:

Kevin

I think he was speaking Dutch

VERY awesome video, thanks for sharing that! I wish YouTube was cool enough to let you download the videos like Google *chuckle* Maybe they have it too :D

Kevin

I think it was Dutch, although I could be wrong.

hey.

You are both right. It is dutch. Nederland is a very open state for gays, gay marriage and gays adopting children.

Send this video through the world to all our friends. Its a good example of freedom

Old Bob

On the same site, there is a wonderful song. The title in english :" children in front of children, AIDS song"

look at it

Edited by old bob

I had guessed it was Dutch also. Good to know I was right.

It's a great video. -- Since Dutch is very closely related to English, even though it may not sound like it, if you listen closely, you may catch several of the words. OK, I did, but I'm unusual in that...I guess.

Hello everyone,

Hehe, not Slavic, but it's definitely Dutch. It's true some words are and sound very similar to English, like 'fijn' (fine), 'vader' (father). And believe me it does rhyme, if you listen carefully! 0:)

Pretty sweet song!

Refrein:

Ik heb twee vaders

Twee echte vaders

Soms stoer en ook wel streng

Maar we hebben het heel fijn

Ik heb twee vaders

Twee echte vaders

Die als het moet ook allebei

Mijn moeder kunnen zijn

[Chorus

I have two fathers

Two real fathers

Sometimes cool and also sometimes strict

But we're doing great

I have two fathers

Two real fathers

Who if they must be

Could also be my mother]

It's on a show for children called "Kinderen voor Kinderen" (Children for Children), on the Dutch public network VARA. To be honest I've never actually watched the show until that clip, but I do know it's very popular among children.

The show is based on a children's choir group of 8-12yrs olds who sing and produce CDs to raise money for children in the developing world (hence the name!). A number of famous Dutch song-writers are involved in the project, and the children can suggest themes and ideas for songs. The song 'Twee Vaders' (Two Fathers) was in the 2005 album, and it raised a lot of money for the tsunami last year.

Actually the public network is not specifically gay-orientated, and like I said it's a show for kids. But it does show how progressive this country is in terms of the openness and acceptance of gays. I mean where else would you see children singing and clapping along during the day on a public TV network? After all, this is the first country to legalise same-sex partnership. If anyone's interested, there's a blog entry by me on a report in the local paper sometime ago on children growing up in same-sex relationships

groetjes,

David

*Thanks Old Bob for drawing my attention to this~ :2thumbs:

PS:

If anyone is interested in the original Dutch text, and want to sing along at the next GA karaoke event :D , here it is:

TWEE VADERS

Wij wonen in een rijtjeshuis

We hebben mooie spullen thuis

We leven heel normaal daar met z

I saw this video for the first time today. It is very sweet. Don't have too much to add, but I wanted to take the opportunity to show off my new Avatar. Hope it posts ok.

Anyhow, I watched this kid and, yes it's definitely Dutch. Dontcha just love little Dutch boys? :wub:

Cute as he can be. There was one part of the song that was particularly poignant where he talks about the other kids calling his dad homos. I'm thinking there's a story there. I'm still a virgin author trying to finish his first story, but this may be an idea for my next or a short story. Could be really cool. Maybe we could start a round robin story with that or something.

:hug: hugs :hug:

Rick

Hey Rick!

I saw this video for the first time today. It is very sweet. Don't have too much to add, but I wanted to take the opportunity to show off my new Avatar. Hope it posts ok.

It looks great! In fact I was going to comment on it anyway :)

Anyhow, I watched this kid and, yes it's definitely Dutch. Dontcha just love little Dutch boys? :wub:

I think Dutch people are really cool! :great:

Cute as he can be. There was one part of the song that was particularly poignant where he talks about the other kids calling his dad homos.

Yep, it's a great song! In fact I find that I quite like it even without the message it contains or being able to understand the lyrics. I just think it's a pretty language and I like the music. (I feel this way about MANY types of foreign music though)

Have a day filled with happiness and joy everyone! :hug:

Kevin

Hey Rick!

It looks great! In fact I was going to comment on it anyway :)

I think Dutch people are really cool! :great:

Yep, it's a great song! In fact I find that I quite like it even without the message it contains or being able to understand the lyrics. I just think it's a pretty language and I like the music. (I feel this way about MANY types of foreign music though)

Have a day filled with happiness and joy everyone! :hug:

Kevin

Wow, that's the first time I hear anyone described Dutch as a "pretty language"! 0:) I guess any language sounds nice when put to music, and the song is pretty and sweet :wub:

Typical of Dutch is the strong gutteral "g" (HARD and throaty like in BaHRain), and the rolling "r" (like in RRRotteRRRdam). The way it's spoken you'd think it's some kind of vulgar boorish German dialect...and the way it's written you'd think it's someone's trying to write English and French at the same time after a bit too much to drink :P

There are certain words in Dutch that sound the same as English, but have a completely different meaning (and vice versa)...so you can see the potential for hilarious moments there. For example, to 'fok' is to 'breed', and is pronounced like 'f*ck'. A joke is when an British lady asks a Dutch lady at a social even what she does for living: "Oh, I fok dogs".

But hey, it's pretty in it's own way :wub:

Formosa, you live in such a wonderful country! Such an open and liberal society. :2thumbs:

I was wondering when are they going to have a gay kid on one of the Disney Channel shows? Will this ever happen? Did any of you see any TV show for kids, in which there was a gay kid, or maybe a kid with two fathers? We educate kids that gays don

I love this clip, I first saw it on towlerroad and fell in love. I showed it to my friends and now we go around randomly breaking out into it. I laughed so hard when all the other little kids joined in the chorus and started singing that they have two vaders as well. Thanks for sharing it on this site.