• Site Administrator

Write a scene involving at least one character, but without referring to that character by name.

The idea is to exercise the use of alternative ways of identifying the character. For example, you can use descriptions, pronouns or other characteristics of the character to indicate who you are referring to.

• Site Administrator

It wasn't as if I didn't have enough to do, but the new guy was just making it worse.

I glanced over at where he sat. He hadn't been there long enough for a name plate to be added to his cubicle, and I wasn't going to admit that I had been daydreaming when he had been introduced to the department.

"Scott, they told me that you were the guy to go to if I had problems."

I glared, though he was correct. Being the department techie was a pain, especially with the level of incompetents present. I could tell that the new guy was going to be an extra tick in the annoying people column.

"What do you want?"

The redhead blinked a couple of times before responding. "Er... my laptop isn't talking to the network."

I sneered. "Really? And how do you know that?"

I was being a bit harsh on the guy, but I was in the middle of trying to apply a database patch, and I didn't want to leave it.

"I can't connect to the email server. I'm supposed to, aren't I?"

I bit back on my initial response. It sounded like the newbie might know what he was talking about. Most idiots would just have said they couldn't get their emails. He was either a brighter idiot, or he just might be one of the guys who could be trusted to look after themselves.

"Yeah, you are. Do you know what DHCP is?"

He nodded. "Something to do with the network recognising my laptop, isn't it?"

I still couldn't be sure if he knew what he was doing. The guy understood the idea, though he didn't express it well.

"Check if you're talking to the DHCP server and get back to me."

I returned to what I was working on, but the idiot didn't move.

"Er... how do I do that?"

I rolled my eyes and snapped out the instructions. The newbie stammered his thanks and left me alone.

I managed to have some peace and quiet for a whole minute before my latest annoyance returned.

"It doesn't seem to be working."

I knew he wasn't going to leave me alone until I fixed it for him, so I stood up. "Show me."

He led me back his laptop. I spotted the problem immediately.

"See that switch at the side?" I asked him.

"Yeah," he said slowly, as if I was showing him something incomprehensible.

"That's the switch for the wireless. It needs to be on before you can talk to the network."

The redheaded idiot acted like I had just offered him the keys to the city. "Thank you! I knew it had to be something simple."

I rolled my eyes but kept quiet until I returned to my desk.

"Loser," I muttered to myself.

He looked into my eyes and they told me what I already knew. He was beautiful; he was captivating; he was enigmatic; he was...indescribable. And for that reason I forced myself to turn around and walk away.

"Lockie," he called out, with a hint of seduction laced into the finely crafted tone of longing.

I paused, and my mind conjured up his likeness. I could see his sandy blond hair that was casually swept across his brow, hanging just over those emotive brown eyes. I knew better than to turn around and face him - he was my oldest friend, and he could manipulate me without even speaking.

And so I kept walking.

"Lockie!" This time it wasn't his voice as I knew it know, but the voice of my childhood best friend. I saw him as he was ten years ago, and tears came to my eyes. The urgency in his voice was almost visceral.

I stopped.

As I stood stifly facing the other way, I could feel my lover approaching slowly: a lion ready to pounce, or a child craving affection. His thin arms wrapped themselves around me and I buckled at the knees.

Finally I turned back, staring into his porcelain face with it's round eyes and soft, pouting lips. A friend, a lover, a confidante, he knew my every weakness, my every daemon. And as I stared reluctantly back into his eyes, I saw a look that can only be described as genuine emotion. I couldn't begin to decipher which emotion - or collection of emotions - but the rare glimpse into the real person behind the facade broke my resolve to leave.

"I don't want to be your other half..."

"You have no choice," he murmured. I nodded hopelessly, losing myself in those deep brown eyes.

I wrote an entire story without using character names, so I didn't find it too hard - it is an interesting way of telling a story. I find that it adds a sense of universality to a tale; it elevates it out of one particular locale and forces you to consider identify with characters based solely on the author's description.

Menzo

He frowned. His favorite computer was being used by the jerk.

He still didn't understand why this guy lashed out every time they ended up in the same place. They certainly didn't know each other - he'd just started at this school after his family moved here. At least he knew it wasn't because of his stutter, this time, since the jerk had never stuck around long enough to listen to him.

He turned to find a different computer, then paused. He could have sworn he just heard something he never expected to hear.

He turned back and tentatively asked, "Hey, are y-y-you ok-kay?"

The kid jerked around in his chair and glared at him through glistening eyes.

"Oh, it's you," the boy said thickly. "Why do you care? Just leave me alone."

He looked at the boy's tear-tracked cheeks, at his now down-turned eyes, and at the computer screen behind him showing a one-line email message. Sharp eyes picked out the words "Stop bothering me", and he made up his mind.

He took a step to the computer cubicle doorway and held out a hand. "I c-c-care because I'd r-r-rather be f-friends than enemies. I'm G-g-gary."

• 2 weeks later...

He looked around the top of the theatre roof feeling the cool night air rush by him. He moved towards the air conditioner unit that he always used as a seat. Lighting up a ciggarete he looked around and was captivated by the sight, from the twinkle of the lights to the cars moving around the roads below him. He inhaled a ciggarete and found himself enveloped in his own little world, blissfully ignorant of the problems he was facing. Smiling he took another drag when a burst of static came over the radio he was carrying.

"We have a problem with projector 6, I need some help now!"

As soon as he heard that, he tossed his ciggarette and began to run to the roof access door and ran to projector 6. Wondering what was going on, his question was soon answered by the fire alarms going off and a plume of smoke comming from the projection door.

• 3 months later...

I was laying on my back,eyes closed, enjoying the sun when suddenly it was blocked. I felt the shadow and I knew who it was without opening my eyes. "What do you want now?"

"I'm sorry about last Friday." he answered, his voice low. "I didnt know my sister was going to do... that. I'm sorry. Tommy..."

He trailed of when I sat up and glared at him. "You didnt know know? How could you not know? She's your sister! You told her! I asked you not to tell anyone!"

My head dropped into my hands and I shook it, trying not to cry. I felt his hand on my back but didnt have the strength to shake it off. After a minute I felt him kneel beside me. "Tommy. I didnt tell her. I swear she must have... guessed or something."

I didnt answer, didnt look at him. Just tried to keep from bawling. Soon he started rubbing my back.

"What happened last night?" he whispered, his head close to my ear. I felt his blonde hair against my cheek and I looked at him. "Your parents called my Dad. My Mom called me telling me I couldnt go home."

"Oh Tommy..." He hugged me, his arms wrapping around me and I lost it. Breaking down in tears I buried my head in in shoulder. He just sat with me, rocking me slowly back and forth like a child.

After what seemed to be hours my tears stopped. When I raised my head, he smiled at me sadly. "Where did you stay last night?"

I pulled away and rubbed my face on my shirt sleeve. "With my Aunt. She cant keep me though. I dont know where t-"

He cut me off with a kiss. When he pulled back, I saw his green eyes twinkling. "Remember I got that apartment last month?"

I nodded, not daring to hope.

"Well, I bought a queen sized bed today and Im looking for someone to share it with."

I nodded again and looked around the school yard. Seeing a goth chick alone on a swing I pointed at her. "How about her?"

"Nah too female." he answered seriously. "Im looking for a male, about 16 with blue eyes, black hair and a fantastic smile. Oh, and he cant be more than 5'11. Do you see anyone here who fits that discription?"

I smiled at him again. "You're serious?" Seeing him I nod I stood up and took his hand. "Lets go then. I need to call my Aunt."

Edited by Kanaye
  • 2 years later...

In a room full of copy cats she stood out. It was hard to imagine a woman like that would willingly come into a place like this. I mean I did work in one of the crappiest places in town, but at least the food served here was halfway decent.

She seemed to just float over to the bar. Her long dark tresses gently bouncing behind her like waves on the shore. I swear it was like she had captured little flares of red deep in that dark mass of hair. She wasn't a tall woman. Hell if I had to guess she was maybe 5'3'' or 5'4''. She was thin but with enough weight on her to give her curves, not like so many of the stick figures scattered around in here. Her clothing fit without being too tight. In fact, her dress seemed to caress her figure, and the color choice appeared to have been picked to set off her tan. She wore these boots that stopped mid-calf and showed off her legs. And talk about legs, these were the kind that put that old poster of Betty Grable that Tom hung behind the bar to shame.

"I'll have water please, with a twist of lemon and your menu," came a deep honey voice. God, I wanted to follow her anywhere she wanted to go. Even her voice was enough to get a response from me.

She was taken from the bar to a table in the next section over from me. I could see her manicured fingers stroke the side of the menu as she tried to decide what she wanted. Her nails were a pale pink that somehow made her seem like an innocent girl although the cut of her top allowed you to see she was clearly all woman. The slight catch of her breathe as she spotted something on the menu nearly had me running to her side. Bobby was the lucky one who got to serve her and I watched as he sauntered up and pitched his voice lower in hopes of impressing her.

"Are you ready to order, Miss? If you would like a suggestion I'd be happy to tell you what our most popular menu items are?"

"No, I'll have the fish and chips," she said with a smile, handing him the menu. She seemed relaxed and comfortable at the table by herself. Why on earth would such a beautiful woman be eating alone?

Bobby quickly nodded and walked away with her order.

"Damn, Mac, that is one woman I wouldn't mind putting on the menu," Bobby whispered to me as he walked by.

For once I couldn't help but agree with him.

• 1 year later...