Creative Prompt- Number Umpteen

• 3 weeks later...

I met Joe White in 7th grade but didn't get to know him until we ended up in the same home room in the eighth.

I have to admit that I was attracted to Joe from the first time I saw him. He was tall and lean with strawberry blond hair. When we returned from summer vacation, the sun had lightened his hair and his skin was a golden tan. He always wore Levis, a t-shirt and boots.

Joe and his mother lived in a trailer park in our school district. It wasn't hard to tell that they were poor and Joe was sensitive about it and very shy. His best friend was a kid from the same trailer park called Phil that compensated for his economic standing with aggression. Phil was very protective of Joe and they were always together.

I finally got to know Joe when Phil got badly hurt in a car wreak and had to stay out of school for a while to heal up. Joey was nothing like the other hard-scrabble redneck kids from that park. He was soft spoken and shy and when you finally did get him to talk, he was anything but dumb.

I had a hard time talking him into doing anything. Going to a movie or the mall cost money so he didn't care for that. He suggested that we go fishing at a place that he knew so one warm September Saturday, Joe and I went fishing.

Joe knew of a lake out in the country so we took our poles and some crickets and in no time we had both caught our limit of bluegill.

When we were done fishing, Joe asked if I wanted to go swimming but I wasn't keen of jumping in the brown water of the country pond. Joe said follow me. We went up a deserted trail to a spring of cool clear water lined with smooth pebbles. He started stripping off his clothes and jumped in. I did the same enjoying the cool water. Thankfully the water was cool or I might have had a problem.

We played and wrestled in the cool spring water. It wasn't really swimming as much as cooling off. When we were done, we sat naked in the sun and dried out.

From then on Joey became on of mu closest friends. After all- how can you keep secrets from someone that you've been skinny-dipping with?

• 2 years later...