I just realized no one has started a thread for Enigma which I consider to be a sin!

I love the way this story develops but then again, I love anything Nephy writes, even her hetero stories are grand IMHO. So... What do you think so far of the story?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came into the story after the most recent chapter and after the first one I completely fell in love with it. i can sort of sympathiz with the situation. Every woman in my mothers family, starting at my grandma, has worked with the mentally handicapped (and several from my dads family have too) its also the field I plan on going into while I work on getting my LPN or RN. Most, if not all, of the folks my family has worked with have been lifers, people who couldn't function alone in society.

There have been one or two people *if memory serves* that were like Silver *though NOT for the same reasons* that at one point in time had been normal people but due to some trauma were never the same again and had to be supervised and taken care of the rest of their lives.

I guess because of that I do feel a certain connection to the characters in the story and to the story itself.

Best Wishes,

NightOwl.

Thank you hun. I never think of opening discussion threads. Never think that any of my stories are really work discussing I suppose. Yeah yeah I know but I am still insecure about my writing... so bite me :)

My ex works as an auxilliary nurse and my best friend worked in a house just like this. For only the second time some of the characters are actualy based on people I know.

I am totally in love with Silver :) River really comes into his own later on too. :)

Thanks again

• Site Administrator

I love this story and know that a few of us were wondering where the discussion forum was, bad Nephy, no cookie! I think you should just acknowledge we want to talk about your stories and you automatically need to post Ch. 1 and a new topic at the same time... or else! I'll let you think of the or else, I know it will be a lot of fun for you! ;)

I love this story, Enigma is an absolutely engrossing story. I have had some experience working as River does and know that keeping true objectivity is very hard, especially in a close setting of a care house. I love how accurate you portray this role.

Silver really is a true puzzle. River has the best skills to figure him out as we are finding out after chapter 8, but each person is different. Nikki may have given River some idea of what happened to Silver and ways to deal with it but each case is different. I think it is a journey toward recovery and freedom that they will have to share, making each step together on a very long road.

I love this story, enough to enjoy reading it this second time as you post chapters. I find myself eagerly awaiting the next post, even if I know what happens I love the path you taking us on in this story!

*grabs the binoculars*

Am i the only one seeing dark clouds on that distant horizon? I loved the chapter, i admit I was surprised when the Doc asked River to move in with Silver, I mean forget professionalism lol. I look forward to the rain though, I get the feeling it will be as refreshing as it is terrifying. I look forward to more.

Best Wishes,

NightOwl

Thanks Cia. That's truly awesome. Can I have some of the 'or else' please it sounds intersting. It's awesome that you still like the story having read it all. No revealing secrets yet though :)

NightOwl... you have far sight indeed :) You know me well... my stories are never as simple as they seem. Very soon those dark clouds start gathering and when the rain hits you better hold on to your hats and get a lightening rod. Just have a little Faith. :)

A great chapter Nephylim. it was very touching, very thrilling. I have been waiting for Silver to regress back to being a slave, I knew it was coming eventually. I am both excited and terrified about the next chapter, part of me wants the breakthrough while the other part is worried about what exactly will be detailed.

best Wishes,

NightOwl

Don't worry. This story is not like Love in Chains although it does go over slightly similar ground. There is nothing too explicit... at least not yet ;):PPosted Image

This story is far more about the inner than the outer. It's about a journey... for Silver but for River too. They are just starting out and the next chapter is, indeed a pivotal one. I am glad that the journey is making sense. For some reason this was an important story for me to write. I suppose it's because everyone is a slave at some point in their lives.

Everyone is subject to conditioning... by family, by society, by peer pressure. It's how we deal with it that defines us. I find myself slipping into the role of slave far too easily and working through this with Silver helped me face my own demons.

I know it is too much to ask that the story does that for anyone else but if it at least makes them think about it then that would be totally awesome.

Hey Nephy, sorry its taken me so long to get here.

I loved the most recent chapter. Silver's history was just heartbreaking. When you first mentioned David and the way you described how Silver had painted him I expected some sort of a close relationship, lovers I hadn't quite expected but I really should have given the theme of the story, i mean like you had River say, they expressed their feeligns the only way they knew how.

I feel so much more then that but I can't really put it into words yet, I loved the chapter and i love this story. I look forward to seeing how Silver does at the house warming party *if I am correct in assuming its a house warming party for the girl who is moving out*

Best Wishes,

Nightowl.

• Site Administrator

I loved this chapter. The breakthroughs that Silver keeps making, his ability to share his traumatic experience with River indicates the close bond they are already forming. The party coming up should be a doozy, lol, especially if Julia is in charge. Her heart is always in the right place and she is strangely wise at times but sheesh, talk about a whirlwind! :D Great writing as always!

Thank you... as always :) Yes, the party is the next chapter. We get to see Silver all dressed up and coping with a house full of strangers. It's much lighter than the last one but just as significant I think.

Yes, Silver is getting very close to River. That's dilemma isn't it? Undoubtedly the best way of treating someone in Silver's situation is with friendship and trust. However... how far do you go down that street. In the condition Silver is then in order to open up he has to learn to trust but that trust is total. It's all or nothing for Silver.

Perhaps he could make progress with someone else but how many people understand what he's been through and recognise the signs and how to deal with them? It is likely that Silver would never have made these strides with anyone else than River.

And yet... River is already falling for him and to have that complete trust in him Silver is forging a connection that is perhaps even stronger than just attraction.

Add to this that Silver has been trained to use sex as nothing but a tool and sees his body as something to be used to please then it's a hugely dangerous situation.

Silver is peculiarly vulnerable and River is a professional in a position of trust. River's growing fondness for Silver with his undeniable sexual attraction and Silver's total dependence and absolute trust together with the way he views sex and his own body is... a firework with the blue touchpaper lit. It's completely obvious that there is going to be an explosion at some time.

Hey Nephy, sorry its taken me so long to get here.

I loved the most recent chapter. Silver's history was just heartbreaking. When you first mentioned David and the way you described how Silver had painted him I expected some sort of a close relationship, lovers I hadn't quite expected but I really should have given the theme of the story, i mean like you had River say, they expressed their feeligns the only way they knew how.

I feel so much more then that but I can't really put it into words yet, I loved the chapter and i love this story. I look forward to seeing how Silver does at the house warming party *if I am correct in assuming its a house warming party for the girl who is moving out*

Best Wishes,

Nightowl.

Oops sorry Owl I answered Cia's without noticing yours... how could I possibly ever fail to notice you :) My bad.

Yes it is kind of a goodbye/good luck/housewarming party. Given that it's for Julia it is bound to be fun. Shall we say there is excitement and bouncing of the best kinds. We see Silver all dressed up and River with his tongue almost litterally hanging out covered with drool. And then there's the party :)

Oh I loved this chapter, especially the end :) It'a lot lighter than the last one

Just finished Chapter 7. The review I posted dealt with the impact it had on my emotions, but cannot possibly say all that needs to be said.

Nephylim begins the chapter with a simple comparison between two boys, and then quickly moves to a scene of innocent sensuality that warms the heart.

The descent into depravity is slow, but inexorable, and it's not until late in the chapter that she reveals to us just how dark it was. The final depravity was Nikki's rejection by the community and the church...not the funeral, but, as Silver said, when he most needed help.

I'm a big fan of the "story arc" that by the canons must govern not only the story, itself, but every chapter. Nephylim has violated the rule in Chapter 7. It has no arc, but a slow descent into hell. Story arc? Chapter 7 is the exception that proves ("tests") the rule.

WOW that was huge praise coming from you hun. I am humbled and so glad that you like the story. This really was my favourite story with my favourite characters. It's like sending my babies out there into the big wide world. I am glad that so far at least people are being kind to them. Although I am not sure how kind you are going to be to me as the story progresses :)

...This really was my favourite story with my favourite characters. It's like sending my babies out there into the big wide world. I am glad that so far at least people are being kind to them. Although I am not sure how kind you are going to be to me as the story progresses...

Trust me on this: it's your writing that inspired those thoughts. Chapter 7 was a real masterpiece: as if Norman Rockwell and Hieronymous Bosch had collaborated on a painting.

(See a selection of Norman Rockwell's paintings, here. See Bosch, here.)

Nephy you are devious and diobolical, and I LOVE you for it.

Reading the summery for the chapter and then getting clsoe to the end OOOOOG you had me scared to go fearing Silver was gonna backslide or something...un-healthy as River puts it. But I loved it. You had me worried at that part with the Dr. too, I was worried kevin had told him, who by the way i might have strangled toward the end of the chapter had I been River lol. I'm happy for Julia getting well enough to get out of the house and start living on her own, but I feel for Silver, *loosing* such a close friends at such a pivitol point, but I'm sure he'll adapt.

Best wishes and amazing work.

NightOwl

Thank you Owl. I like to tease :) In truth Silver barely missed Julia as he has other things on is mind :P

Kevin is a real jerk but his heart in the right place (usually) He really is an idiot but unfortunately not unfamiliar in the place I live. Many of the jerks I have come across particularly in the Rugby Clubs would think it hilariously funny to give alcohol to someone like Silver. That's why I'm moving. Fortunately he had Julia to look out for him... and he knew enough himself by this time to not take any chances.

I am going to take this opportunity to point out what I am sure many of you already apprecaite. I am taking quite a bit of artistic licence with Silver and his recovery. The story would have been a bit lame if it had all taken place in Silver's head. There's only so far we can go with that before it gest samey and boring. In reality it would have taken far far longer for Silver to recover. I hope that it works and you can suspend your disbelief for a while.

As for Dr Marshall... River soon has a lot more to worry about with him :)

Hey Nephylim,

The chapter was great, as always. I love the progress Silver is making, the role reverasl between him and River was priceless. You have left me some very deep curiosities though, what Silver did with the painting of River before the Dr. got there for instance...oh I hope you didn't have him destroy or deface it...that would a waste of a good paiting. The painting of the couple and the child is another point of interest.

Whats really got me interested is what Silver is planning...I mean you have River state early in the chapter that he is deathly afraid of going outside but then you have Silver telling the Dr that he is feeling cooped up...I think the boy is plotting a way to get River to forget his professionalism.

Your warning...."disaster is looming"....I'm actually looking forward to it to be honest.

Great work.

Best Wishes,

nightOwl

River is in for a surprise I can tell you that. And yes, Silver has a plan. As for the painting, unfortunately it only had a bit part and is falling into obscurity although I beleive it is alive and well and may have a walk on in the sequel :)

And oh yes... there is some looming going on :)

Don't worry. Enigma I is all finished so there will be no break in posting. I am now working on Enigma II The Sequel. Hopefully by the time I finish posting this one... and it does run to 25 chapters and 102K words, the next one will be finished and ready to start posting.

I have learned my lesson with Hubble Bubble and Weeping Lily. They were stories where I posted chapters as I wrote them and lived to regret it. Hubble Bubble just completely ran out of steam and writing chapters of Weeping Lily is like pulling teeth at the moment. So I am not going to start posting anything until it's finished from now on. Fortunately I have

1 Novella - which was the one I entered in the competition

1 anthology entry

1 complete edited story of over 100; words

1 complete story in the editing of 130K words and

Enigma II which I am 5 chapters into.

I don't think there is any liklihood of my stories drying up any time soon :)

Beautiful story. But nephy, what's this about a sequel? Why not just finish it here >.<

I think I have just seen what you meant... DUH. Enigma is a finished and completed story in and of itself.

Enigma II involved the same characters and starts about 3 months after I ends but it is a completely different story :)

I think I have just seen what you meant... DUH. Enigma is a finished and completed story in and of itself.

Enigma II involved the same characters and starts about 3 months after I ends but it is a completely different story :)

:o Thanks for clearing that up. New chapter soon? Hmm?