Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Faces for Mark's Stories

I'm going to reiterate All-American Guy model Phil Fusco for Tony. He's just that classic good-looking Italian American guy- not a pretty boy, but handsome in a really masculine way. It's just a shame male models are generally discouraged from having chest hair- I bet his would would have looked hot.

Edited by methodwriter85

My alternate Tony pick would be Steven R. McQueen from the Vampire Diaries, but I'm not sure Mark would see Tony that way. There's a touch of "sensitive artist" type to his look and I'm not sure Steven R. McQueen is as thoroughly masculine-looking as Tony needs to be, but damn it, I just like the look. I'd be just as hung up on THAT as Will is on Tony. I could concievably buy someone with Steven R. McQueen's look as a soccer player at a prestigious college who rides BMX bikes on the side. He's got the bod of a college jock, but some edginess to him.

148366157--1444005615723121180.jpg

603466_10150916069442045_213837241_n.jpg

Hot damn, this man is gorgeous. I'm sucker for any guy with thick, dark hair and big soulful dark eyes. What do you think about my Tony picks, Blue?

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm feeling hunted, being a possesor of thick hair and dark eyes.

All kidding aside, the version of Tony I have in my head is a bit darker than yours, and heavier than this last. The model you picked for Beau is pretty close, though perhaps a bit darker than that, even.

My model for for is Joshua Bowman...he's on Revenge. God, he's cute.

See, the problem I'd have with Tony being a stockier guy like Cole would be the fact that Tony is supposed to be good enough at soccer that he can play the collegiate level. I've never seen a stocky soccer jock. They're all usually pretty lithe. (I mean, I was a stocky cross-country runner, but I was also never any good and I was only on the team because they needed numbers.) If he were a football player, I could see that. Steven R. McQueen is actually pretty big, though. Here's a picture where you can see that:

Steven-R-McQueen-in-Vampire-Diaries-Epis

When he started on the Vampire Diaires, he was actually a pretty convincing 15-year old, but by the end of that season Steven had filled out so much that it was hard to buy him as 15. I guess Steven R. McQueen was one of those late bloomer types, and man did he bloom beautifully:

steven_r_mcqueen.jpg

Anyway, since we're on dark-haired guys now...I could kinda see West from the t.v. show Heroes (Claire's boyfriend with the power of flight) as Gabe, the latino journalist. (Nicholas D'Agosto is Italian-American, but I wouldn't have a problem buying him as a Latino, especially with this haircut and the facial hair.)

Nicholas-DAgosto-26.jpg

I have Gabe pictured as good-looking, but in a kind of nerdy intellectual way with a tall, slim body. D'Agosto's one of those TV actors who work a ton, but hasn't quite hit on the starmaking role, which is a shame. It's pretty funny though- he had a really young face for a very long time that allowed him to play teenagers up until two years ago.

Marius from Les Miserables, aka Eddie Redmayne, as the Red-Headed College Republican that Arbour hooks up with in On The Mark?

Eddie+Redmayne.jpg

Mark really seems to have a thing for tall, slender, red-headed guys with geeky, quirky features, so when I saw Eddie Redmayne in My Week with Marilyn, I kept thinking, "I could see Mark wanting to hook up with that kind of look." And Eddie Redmayne just looks like he'd be well-cast as a high strung, geeky conservative Republican closet case during the ascendancy of the the Reagan Years.

It's interesting though- you seem to have a thing for both the hunky jock AND the geek. I've noticed that in your writing. Conversely, you don't seem that interested in guys that don't fall into either category, like skater punks or drama freaks.

Edited by methodwriter85

Jessica Lange from American Horror Story IS Nana, as far as I'm concerned. She's truly that classy-looking, still beautiful older woman.

Jessica+Lange+Fox+Broadcasting+Company+T

God, doesn't she look fantastic for her age? I'm sure she's had some work done, but it was great, understated work, as opposed to Cher's alien-like face.

If not her, I also see Vanessa Redgrave.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
   Jessica Lange from American Horror Story IS Nana, as far as I'm concerned. She's truly that classy-looking, still beautiful older woman.

Jessica+Lange+Fox+Broadcasting+Company+T

God, doesn't she look fantastic for her age? I'm sure she's had some work done, but it was great, understated work, as opposed to Cher's alien-like face.

If not her, I also see Vanessa Redgrave.

I can totally see this, but with shorter hair. 

I can see this, but I think Jeremy's right. Didn't I already write that JJ had the Schluter strawberry blond hair?

I think the face would be Lucas Till, but I picture JJ's hair as being like Cody Simpson's:

codysimpson.jpg

I keep picturing JJ as having wavy blond hair. This look isn't period(, short, spikey and gelled would be), but Will's already described JJ as being someone who doesn't really dress to fit in.

I think the face would be Lucas Till, but I picture JJ's hair as being like Cody Simpson's:

codysimpson.jpg

I keep picturing JJ as having wavy blond hair. This look isn't period(, short, spikey and gelled would be), but Will's already described JJ as being someone who doesn't really dress to fit in.

Actually, Will described JJ as someone who looked like he stepped out of GQ magazine.  I visualize JJ as having wavy blond hair, but I don't think he would in 2000.  I think it would be short, gelled, and spiky. 

Guys started growing their hair out again and stopping with the gel around 2003...so maybe Cody Simpson's hair could be JJ's 2003 and onward hairstyle? Maybe JJ gets a boyfriend who prefers his curls or something, kinda like the scene in The Ordinary Us when Quin's love interest discovers that he's got curly hair, when it's not drowned in product.

There's this shift in clothing and hairstyles that happens in 2003 that I think you'd like writing about, when you get around to a 2003 story. The hip-hop styles and the more urban styles gave way to guys wearing their hair more natural and ditching Tommy Hilfiger for brands like Hollister, and the prep look came back in.

Birkenstocks also made a big comeback in 2003, but that was usually paired with the Hollister crowd.

Edited by methodwriter85
    Marius from Les Miserables, aka Eddie Redmayne, as the Red-Headed College Republican that Arbour hooks up with in On The Mark?

Eddie+Redmayne.jpg

Mark really seems to have a thing for tall, slender, red-headed guys with geeky, quirky features, so when I saw Eddie Redmayne in My Week with Marilyn, I kept thinking, "I could see Mark wanting to hook up with that kind of look." And Eddie Redmayne just looks like he'd be well-cast as a high strung, geeky conservative Republican closet case during the ascendancy of the the Reagan Years.

It's interesting though- you seem to have a thing for both the hunky jock AND the geek. I've noticed that in your writing. Conversely, you don't seem that interested in guys that don't fall into either category, like skater punks or drama freaks.

the problem I have with Mr Redmayne, is that with slightly redder hair he looks exactly like my son!

• Like 1

Your son is probably going to have an extremely easy time getting laid by Les Miserables fans, then.

Anyway, Brendan Dooling, the guy I picked out for Josh the Sexually Confused Guy...he's currently playing a sexually confused 80's prepster on the Carrie Diaries. Man, I'm good. :thumbup:

I gotta say, this guy favors the 80's preppie look extremely well. They revealed him as being "confused" by staring longingly at photos of Circa 1984 Rob Lowe. Which...can you blame him? Rob Lowe is still hot but in 1984 the dude was just unreal.

Rob Lowe was also the inspiration, physical-wise, for Neal. Which was funny, because Rob Lowe kinda has this vibe where you can picture him as bi. I swear, I think he and Andrew McCarthy had some homoerotic chemistry in that fight scene from Class.

Edited by methodwriter85

For JJ, I would think of him as Jack Gleeson (who plays Joffrey Baratheon in Game of Thrones). I don't know if it's just the two characters that are so similar... but each time JJ has a small tantrum, I always imagine it's Joffrey...

joffrey.jpg

tumblr_m5s07cDsH61qj9e4z.gif

For JJ, I would think of him as Jack Gleeson (who plays Joffrey Baratheon in Game of Thrones). I don't know if it's just the two characters that are so similar... but each time JJ has a small tantrum, I always imagine it's Joffrey...

tumblr_m5s07cDsH61qj9e4z.gif

I actually like his look a lot, but I think JJ has been described as being conventionally handsome in a somewhat effeminate way. Imagine a minature, 15-year old GQ Junior model. I don't think he'd be good looking in a quirky, somewhat geeky way like this guy is. I think we're going with Lucas Till's face on a short, scrawny body.

I'd love Joffrey for Alistair, though. Slap him in a suit and I think he's perfect. I've been picturing Alistair brunette, but he could be blonde. Mark's been very general with Alistair- all we know is that he's short and he wears suits and glasses. I don't think Mark's even specified if Alistair is white or not.

Emmy Rossum as Young Isidore?

Emmy+Rossum+Makeup+Pink+Lipstick+D4KKFHM

Emmy+Rossum+Earring+Studs+Diamond+Studs+

She's hot, but most importantly Emmy Rossum just has this certain air of good breeding and class that Isidore would have. Wasn't Isidore bred in a somewhat affluent French family who kicked her out once she got pregnant with Ace? She definitely didn't feel like someone who had grown up a street urchin, and if she had I don't think JP would have been nearly as comfortable with her as he had been.

Edited by methodwriter85

Alexander Ludwig from The Hunger Games as Carter?

If this were the 80's, he probably would have been typecast in Billy Zabka-type roles.  I do think it's funny that he's got the SoCal accent even though he's Canadian...I think his IMDB page said he goes to USC, so I'm guessing he just picked it up there.

• 2 weeks later...

Broadway actor Jeremy Jordan as Noah? Like, if you got a 16-year old version of him. (Although really, if Mark Sailling could play a teenaged boy, this guy could. LOL.)

_jeremy_jordan.jpg

tn-500_jordan7951.jpg

I have Noah pictured as a guy with green/blue eyes, dark hair, a very strong jawline, and a broad nose- hot, but not "cookie cutter WASP" hot. I'm also pretty sure Mark wrote Noah as being moderately hairy.

I'm going to try another Noah...Jeremy Irvine from War Horse?

jeremy-irvine-empire-film-awards-2012-ar

Is this closer to what you were thinking for Noah, Mark? I could imagine him looking absolutely fabulous in a blue polo shirt, with those eyes.

Edited by methodwriter85

Broadway actor Jeremy Jordan as Noah? Like, if you got a 16-year old version of him. (Although really, if Mark Sailling could play a teenaged boy, this guy could. LOL.)

tn-500_jordan7951.jpg

I have Noah pictured as a guy with green/blue eyes, dark hair, a very strong jawline, and a broad nose- hot, but not "cookie cutter WASP" hot. I'm also pretty sure Mark wrote Noah as being moderately hairy.

This one is closer to how I envision him.

Cool. In that picture he does kind of have a rough, blue-collar feel to him.

I kinda like Max Thieriot circa Nancy Drew as Ryan:

max_thieriot.jpg

He is of course, about 24 now and looks completely different, but at this point I could see him as a good, 14-year old Ryan. There are photos of him at about 14/15 wearing tank tops that I thought about posting here, but honestly those pictures kind of creeped me out, so I'll just go with his Nancy Drew look.

Edited by methodwriter85

Cool. In that picture he does kind of have a rough, blue-collar feel to him.

I kinda like Max Thieriot circa Nancy Drew as Ryan:

max_thieriot.jpg

He is of course, about 24 now and looks completely different, but at this point I could see him as a good, 14-year old Ryan. There are photos of him at about 14/15 wearing tank tops that I thought about posting here, but honestly those pictures kind of creeped me out, so I'll just go with his Nancy Drew look.

Nope.  This one's not working for me.  He's too wholesome, and his features are rounder than I envision Ryan's. 

Well, like I said, Max isn't exactly wholesome looking in real life, even as a teenager. But I'm wasn't that set on him anyway. I'm kinda surprised that his features aren't round. I totally pictured him with rounded features, like Mike Vogel. (Of course, he doesn't look 14.)

I'd think Cam Gigandet, but Cam Gigadet has this old look to him...he had it even when he was in his early 20's as Volchok on the O.C. Hot, but not boyishly good-looking, which I think Ryan would be.

Do you have any idea yet on an Allister? 'Cause I still think it should be Logan Lerman. Seriously. Watch

. The kid even wears a suit in it. And his somewhat stilted, surprisingly deep voice is exactly how I picture Allister's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMS7Y65gkB0

Mark, tell me how that's not Allister, sans glasses. I felt like that scene right there embodied who Allister is as a person- someone who really cares about people and goes out of his way to be good to people, even when he's not getting much back. He is the quintessential example of the guy that's short and small and gets picked on, but then grows up to be pretty beautiful and attractive. (I've liked Logan Lerman ever since he was the brainy prodigy on the short-lived WB show Jack and Bobby...I'm glad to see he's transitioning well to more adult roles.)

That guy is too hot to be Grafton's dad.

I re-adjusted my thinking on Grafton's dad...now I'm picturing him 50-something, very WASP-y looking. A good looking guy for his age, but not someone who's a 50-something knock-out the way Dylan McDermott or Tim Daly are.

Jack Coleman from Heroes and the Office as Mr. Grafton?

Jack-Coleman.jpg

Jack Coleman has the look of someone you can tell was just a total hunk when they were young, and now has the look of an attractive WASPY 50-something "Daddy".  That's how I have Grafton's dad pictured.

I gotta say...Jack Coleman aged pretty well, and without looking like he's had work done. (I mean, the work done on Tom Cruise was beautiful, but still- you can tell there was work done.) He looks like a typical 50-something man who aged in a natural, nice way. Good on him. Way too many actors feel like they need to hack their faces up to stay looking young, and wind up looking like freaks a la Meg Ryan. I personally can't wait until I'm fiftysomething, and have wrinkles and fine lines and my life experiences etched on my face.

Speaking of another "aged naturally" person...Melissa Leo from The Fighter as Tonto?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ3oY3DpQps

• 2 weeks later...

If you took Theo James (aka the ill-fated Turk from season 1 of Downton Abbey) and made him a little darker and 18 years old, I could see him as Darius:

Theo+James+Inbetweeners+Movie+World+Prem

DSC_4755-580x384.jpg

He definitely has the exotic, ethnically ambigious good looks down, I think.

Edited by methodwriter85

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..