Promise by Anyta Sunday

WOO HOO! I get to be your first reviewer :)

What a great story - you told us so much without telling us much at all - if that makes sense. What we were left with was the strength of John's emotions and desire to be with Lucas, how much regrets the hurt he caused by rejecting Lucas in a moment of panic, his fear he pushed Lucas away and the determination not to fail him a second time if he got the chance. The idea he gave everything he had on a leap of faith that if he could only make it there he could make it right was beautiful.

Like I said, you told us so much about both boys and yet let us fill in the little things ourselves. What a great way to end it too.

• Site Administrator

I really like this story. It was so simple and yet the emotions involved had me on edge. Would he make it to the island? I don't know if you were using the lighthouse as a metaphor but safety from a storm is what they always meant to me. John was trying to get to the island, to Lucas, amid a great storm in his life. His own fears and issues along with the rejection of his family, especially poignant, and the possible rejection at school. You end this story with them as close as 2 people can be, skin to skin, wrapped up in each other's arms, secure and safe in the other's love. It was a wonderful story, thank you.

WOO HOO! I get to be your first reviewer smile.gif

What a great story - you told us so much without telling us much at all - if that makes sense. What we were left with was the strength of John's emotions and desire to be with Lucas, how much regrets the hurt he caused by rejecting Lucas in a moment of panic, his fear he pushed Lucas away and the determination not to fail him a second time if he got the chance. The idea he gave everything he had on a leap of faith that if he could only make it there he could make it right was beautiful.

Like I said, you told us so much about both boys and yet let us fill in the little things ourselves. What a great way to end it too.

Andy,

Thanks so much for reading and reviewing this, hehe. He really did regret panicking and hurting Lucas. But, like yourself I tossed with the idea that he didn't make it to the island, or he did, but Lucas wasn't there. Anyway, that idea surfaced for about two minutes before I dropped it. I'm too much a romantic--that need to end things happily--but not just that, I wanted to make a point. :P Cheers again,

Anyta

herm... short, sweet, and wide open to interpretation. keep it up.

Thanks Lugh, I intend to. :P

Oh I loved it. It was so powerful. Water is the element of emotion and you surely used it well. Lovely

Thanks Nephy, I thought the water would add an extended metaphor to the piece. Yay.

Heya Anyta,

I promised not to read this again but I just had to. I just love this. Thanks for sharing. And I love that you named the main as John I don't know why hehe.

Jian

Jian,

Hehe, have no idea why either. :P Thanks for reading through again and for all your help. :2thumbs:(I made a special effort not to use orange here, hehe)

I really like this story. It was so simple and yet the emotions involved had me on edge. Would he make it to the island? I don't know if you were using the lighthouse as a metaphor but safety from a storm is what they always meant to me. John was trying to get to the island, to Lucas, amid a great storm in his life. His own fears and issues along with the rejection of his family, especially poignant, and the possible rejection at school. You end this story with them as close as 2 people can be, skin to skin, wrapped up in each other's arms, secure and safe in the other's love. It was a wonderful story, thank you.

Cia,

Thanks so much for the detailed review. I appreciate all your comments and am thrilled that you liked the piece. You got it right in terms of the storm of his life--his fears and issues. I sort of wanted to use the storm also to show the difficulties imposed on gay relationships by intolerant individuals and narrow-minded culture. And how amazing it is when love overcomes that.

Short but vivid, delicate yet powerful. A very good piece. Well done ^-^

Thanks for reading, Dragon. Yup, this one's a shortie. hehe.

A very sweet and touching story. smile.gif

Hamen, I'm glad you thought so. Cheers. :P

Thanks for your story, I like the struggle, I like the turmoil, I like the will to find that one that makes it all worth it. I like the way you wrote it.

Sam, that underlined bit there. Spot on. I totally agree with this. Thank you for commenting.

A challenge, overcome. Well done, and thank you! smile.gif

C James, this challenge overcome. But aren't there so many more? *sighs --of course, hurdling them can strengthen character.

cool.gif..........Great story, fear gives away to strength! I loved the symbolism the lighthouse, the half-way meet made more desperate by the fact neither one of them knew if the other made it!

Benji, thanks so much for reading. Yeah, neither would they know if they tried, but hadn't gotten to shore--but that type of thinking is too sad. Thanks for the comment. :)

• Like 1

For some reason right from the begining I thought the two boys were going to meet in the middle and share the fate of "Running Bear/Bare" and "Little White Dove".

Anyta, I'm SO happy that you weren't thinking along MY line of thought!

May I say "action, warmth and love" all in the same description of this story? Hell yeah!!!

Thanks, Anyta. This was really and truly sweetness.

Wow~~! So short yet so powerful!

I love the emotional struggle as well as the physical one of John, and the memories flashing back. It was so vivid.

And then, after John was somewhat on shore and the bird called in the distance, I was like, this is the perfect sound for a exhausted disappointed man who is in love yet isn't able to see his lover.

Just WWOWOWW~! A superbly wonderful story! Thank you!

Phana14: Thanks so much for your comments. I just looked up those lyrics--yup, glad I wasn't thinking along those lines either. That is sweet but very sad. :P

Libby: I just loved the idea of both boys meeting halfway--both having to take a step to show the other their love. Glad you liked it. :)

Nightowl: hehe, thanks so much. :)

Rilbur: Four words: Thank you for reading. :D (I appreciate the compliment)

Kevin: I'm blushing. Thanks. :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...