favorite song

The 'guess this song" topic started me thinking. Do any of you out there have a favorite song? If so, what is it? And since I like to ask the hard questions, why do you think you like this song so much?

Mine is "These Words" by Natasha Bedingfield (I love you I love you I love you I love you). I like this song because it has good lyrics, an awesome video, and the three chords D-E-F.

To explain that last part, the lyrics go

I threw some chords together,

The combination D-E-F.

And there is this really cool thing, I don't know what instrument it is, that plays those chords (which are actually F-G-A)

My favorite song changes from time to time. I have favorite songs for different situations. In general though, I think "Holy Wars (The Punishment Due)" by Megadeath is one. It was released in 1991. It's lyrics are timeless when it comes to this issue.

Brother will kill brother

Spilling blood across the land

Killing for religion

Something I don't understand

Fools like me, who cross the sea

And come to foreign lands

Ask the sheep, for their beliefs

Do you kill on God's command?

A country that's divided

Surely will not stand

My past erased, no more disgrace

No foolish naive stand

The end is near, it's crystal clear

Part of the master plan

Don't look now to Israel

It might be your homelands

Holy wars

Upon my podium, as the

Know it all scholar

Down in my seat of judgement

Gavel's bang, uphold the law

Up on my soapbox, a leader

Out to change the world

Down in my pulpit as the holier

Than-thou-could-be-messenger of God

...The Punishment Due

Wage the war on organized crime

Sneak attacks, repel down the rocks

Behind the lines

Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die

They killed my wife, and my baby

With hopes to enslave me

First mistake... last mistake!

Paid by the alliance, to slay all the giants

Next mistake... no more mistakes!

Fill the cracks in, with judicial granite

Because I don't say it, don't mean I ain't

Thinkin' it

Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away

I know what I said, now I must scream of the

overdose

And the lack of mercy killings

I agree w/GoBears, there are multiple 'favorite songs' depending on the circumstances.

"Under the Boardwalk" is a favorite 'feeling good' song. I like it because I like the beach, the song reminds me of home, and of trips to the beach when I was a kid.

"Somewhere Over the Rainbow", which may seem like a cliche, but, for me is not. My mom was my best friend (which may seem like a cliche, but, for me, is not....) and she passed away when I was 16. I miss her every day. This song makes me think of her. I don't remember which of us started it, but one day one of us, not knowing the other was around, started singing that song just sort of absent-mindedly, stopping after the first line. W/o saying anything, the other picked up w/the next line and we continued back and forth until neither of us could remember any more. It was just a silly little moment, but very spontaneous and special for some reason. I think it was one of the first times she and I were 'buddies' rather than 'parent-child'...or maybe one of the last times. Whew!....Deep breath.

Party songs? Whatever is hot at the moment. Classic party/college concert/band party song? "American Pie" In grad school, our favorite band used to do this one near the end of their sets. It was sort of their signature. My roommate and I, fairly wasted by this point, would stand on our chairs singing along with them (and certain they were grateful for the assist...). When done, roomies' girlfriend (a woman of singular patience) would drive us back to the apartment, generally stopping at Hardee's on the way for a grease bomb to soak up the alcohol. Very fun times. (Ask me sometime and I will tell you about the the Cinnamon & Raisin biscuit 'incident'....)

Hmm. All these seem kinda old, don't they? (Definition of old songs: They were likely to have been played on a 45 RPM record. Definition of old: Knowing what a 45 RPM record is....) In my defense, when you ask for "favorite" you should expect something that has proven it can stand the test of time. Eminem ain't there yet, bubba.

It is very hard for me to choose a favorite song, but her are a few of my favorites and some of the lyrics.

In or Out - Ani DiFranco

i just want to show you

the way that i feel

and when i get tired

you can take the wheel

to me what's more important

is the person that i bring

not just getting to the same restaurant

and eating the same thing

guess there's something wrong with me

guess i don't fit in

no one wants to touch it

no one knows where to begin

i've more than one membership

to more than one club

and i owe my life to the people that i love

No Direction - Bad Religion

everyone is looking for something

and they assume somebody else knows what it is

no one can live with the decisions of their own

it seems so they look to someone else

to tell 'em what to be

tell 'em what to wear

tell 'em what to say

tell 'em how to act and think and compel others compulsively

until the world is all like them

Song of Volga Boatmen - Glenn Miller

Mag

Genesis - Open Door

But unlike with you guys that's not a result of the lyrics, but of the sound of the song. :P

Since they aren't exactly bad I'm still going to post them here.

I see your smiling face, by the open door

There's the morning light

Shining in your hair, and in your eyes

And just a little way behind that smile of yours

I see another one, oh so far away

If only for one second, I could hold you close to me

When the Master calls for me again

There's nothing I can say, or I can do

Goodbye, my love

Time has come to say farewell

I hear the call again

Goodbye to the world

I've sheltered for so long

Oh there's so much my love, that I can never say

And in a little while, in a little while

There's nothing left to see

As the years go by and I have not returned

And the night has come, falling all around

Ooh if you count the stars you'll know

How many have gone out

And when the Master calls for me again

There's nothing that I can say

Or I can do

Stand in the sun

Shut your eyes and feel the world

It's changing every day

Goodbye my love

Each day will seem so long

Ooh there's so much I feel, that I can never say

I can't see you

I can't feel you anymore

I've just a memory of that open door

Right behind that is a large and ever changing group of "second favourites".

This one: http://www.vilimpoc.org/defianceohio/share...This%20Year.mp3

"This Time, This Year" by Defiance, OH.

It's my favorite song because of the memories I've got tied to it.

I first heard it when I was seventeen, and just out of high school. I didn't really know where I was going, but I found their audio page and loaded all their songs to an MP3 player, then just walked around. Every day, I'd wander around the city listening to their music, getting lost and finding my way back.

Then, when I saw them play it live, it was incredible. It was a small, intimate club setting, but a mosh pit opened up for this song. During the hard, loud parts, everyone would jump into each other, knocking each other around, screaming along as loud as we could. Then the slow parts would kick in, and we'd stop, throw our arms around each other for support and just sway into the crowd, who would push us back upright whenever we came close to falling. Then the loud part would kick in again, and we'd be back to moshing. It was incredible, and I think of it every time I hear that song now.

I threw some chords together,

The combination D-E-F.

And there is this really cool thing, I don't know what instrument it is, that plays those chords (which are actually F-G-A)

F-G-A would transpose to D-E-F#, so that makes a lot more sense than D-E-F.

Out of curiosity, I might play around with that progression to see if I can do something interesting with it, or at least play around with it while trying to think of some music that uses it.

I have too many favorite songs to think about.

I have a few favorite songs. I like "Filthy/Gorgeous" by the Scissor Sisters just becauseit makes me happier than most other songs, but "Take Your Mama" and "Laura" are my favorites of theirs. Also there's "Teenage Dope Fiend" by Flickerstick which I just enjoy, and "Montserrat" by Orquestra del Plata which I heard on a Kahlua ad. I find "It's You" by PJ Harvey to be delightfully haunting, "Caramel" by Suzanne Vega is good for any rainy day. "Slow Hands" by Interpol really lifts me up for some reason, and "I Wanna Make It Wit Chu" from the Desert Sessions album is among the sexier songs I've ever heard. "AA XXX" by Peaches is the best runway music I've ever heard, and "Pump It" by the Black Eyed Peas is just sounds so good to me.

Not to mention "Not if you were the last Junkie on Earth" and "Bohemian Like You" by the Dandy Warhols. Also, "Love in a Trashcan" by the Raveonettes is so stylish and reminiscent of pulp films to me. "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult, though the new version by Ceasars is good too. "The Good Ones" by the Kills and anything by Le Tigre. And, one that I always love listening to, "The Whole Shebang" by Grant Lee Bffalo.

Wow, that's really a lot more than I meant to put down.

I would say that in no particular order, my favorites are Project Window and Doo Rags by Nas, Extinction Level Event by Busta Rymes, Year of the Cat by Al Stewart, My Buddy, I smell Pussy and G'd Up by G Unit, Vincent by Don Mc Clean, Money Power Respect by the Lox and One for Petey by Petey Crack. The one I love the most is Count on me by Jefferson Starship. It's the one song that I would sing to my bf if I had a voice that was good. :music::music:

A song I discovered recently that I like a lot: "She Didn't Have Time", by Terri Clark. It is an amazingly sad song with an amazingly happy ending. That song portrays in four minutes what it takes authors to portry in 400 pages. Good Song.