Name your favourite gay movie. What did you like best about it?

Has anyone ever seen the German movie "Harvest"?

I know its really slow and lacks flair, but it's a beautiful love story set in a realistic rural environment. Good love comes slowly and develops through time into something deep and meaningful. or Maybe, I am just an old romantic and no one really seeks that type of love anymore.

I admit that I haven't seen a lot of gay movies, well to be honest I haven't seen a lot of movies in general.

One of my all time favorite movies is Heartbeats, not sure if it would be considered gay but one of the main characters is and involved in a love triangle with his best girl friend. Oh, and I LOVE Francis' hair in the movie.

http://www.starscolor.com/images/xavier-dolan-04.jpg <-- pic of his awesome hair

Edited by andreanugget
  • Like 1

Has anyone ever seen the German movie "Harvest"?

I know its really slow and lacks flair, but it's a beautiful love story set in a realistic rural environment. Good love comes slowly and develops through time into something deep and meaningful. or Maybe, I am just an old romantic and no one really seeks that type of love anymore.

That reminds me of a German film called "The Consequence" (Die Konsequenz). One of the oldest movies ever made about homosexuality. Also slow paced, but it's REALLY REALLY good. I think one of the scenes the guy forced the gay man to commit an unconsented sexual relation with a girl who went mad. Very sad. I'll keep that movie you mentioned in mind.

I admit that I haven't seen a lot of gay movies, well to be honest I haven't seen a lot of movies in general.

One of my all time favorite movies is Heartbeats, not sure if it would be considered gay but one of the main characters is and involved in a love triangle with his best girl friend. Oh, and I LOVE Francis' hair in the movie.

http://www.starscolo...er-dolan-04.jpg <-- pic of his awesome hair

Ooh, pretty hair. The guy reminds me of River Phoenix! That guy was cool. Died too young.

Heartbeats is such a beautiful movie. You should watch it, you get so much time with his hair!

Added to queue. Wish I could do my hair like that. I don't know how to do my hair.... The guy really looks like River Phoenix, with a touch of James Dean.

Added to queue. Wish I could do my hair like that. I don't know how to do my hair.... The guy really looks like River Phoenix, with a touch of James Dean.

If I had a pixie face, my hair would look similar to that lol. He does kinda look like a River Phoenix/James Dean mix.

Can someone tell me if this is a good movie?

You should meet my son!

It look funny and fun, I haven't seen faded southern dames in a gay comedy yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hot boy ổi loạn - "Rebellious Hot Boy"* or officially in English, "Lost in Paradise"

(*Short for: Hot boy nổi loạn và câu chuyện về thằng Cười, cô gái điếm và con vịt - "Rebellious Hot Boy and the Story of Cười, the Prostitute and the Duck")

From the IMDb:

Khoi, a naive twenty-year-old, travels to Ho Chi Minh City from the countryside to begin a new life. It's his first time in the big city and he's looking for a place to live. He befriends Dong, a handsome extrovert who offers to share his apartment. When Khoi goes to check the place out, he meets Lam, who also appears to be living there. Khoi decides to stay, but while he showers, Dong and Lam - who turn out to be boyfriends - run off with all his cash and belongings. It's not long before Lam is himself abandoned by Dong, and winds up back on the street as a prostitute. Meanwhile the penniless and disillusioned Khoi takes on menial jobs to survive. Lam and Khoi are eventually reunited, and despite Lam's past actions, the two become closer and closer - even though Khoi becomes more and more troubled by Lam's dangerous source of income. At the same time, Cuoi, a mentally handicapped man abandoned by his family, attempts to befriend a female prostitute. Her pimps do not take kindly to his hanging around and scaring away customers, but she takes pity on him and ultimately becomes his protector.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2043880/

Not my favourite of all favourites, but I just really love this movie. Just happy and sad, cheerful and heartbreaking, and also some scenes and dialogues could be quite an eyeopener and make you think and probably actually better understand a few groups that the societies prefer to ignore or worse, shun.

Oh, it's a Vietnamese film if you haven't figured it out quickly enough. This film is considered to be the first successful one of its genre (homosexuality and prostitution) and was well-received by the Vietnamese population. So, it's quite a big progress for a country that long pretends that the homosexuals do not exist (the regime tends to leave them alone nowadays).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In no particular order:

L.I.E.

For a Lost Soldier

Latter Days

My Own Private Idaho

The Big Gay Musical

L.I.E.: gritty, dark, outstanding despite the unhappy endings.

For a Lost Soldier: wonderful use of tension. Again, an unhappy ending.

Latter Days: at last, a happy ending. A lot of truth behind the stereotypes (which were well handled)

My Own Private Idaho: tough to watch this all the way through, but the pain is worth it

The Big Gay Musical: another happy ending (actually, a couple of them); more truth behind stereotypes; a lot of fun

• 4 months later...

Breakfast with Scot is one of my all time favorites. I saw it my freshman year of college,

and it was one of the first gay movies I saw where the guys became dads and were not

some overused campy stereotype. That meant a lot to me at the time.

Currently and maybe this is because we are getting older, but our favorite gay movie is Patrick 1.5.  Once upon a time it might have been My Beautiful Launderette (which still ranks up there).  Another favorite is Strapped.