Name your favourite gay movie. What did you like best about it?

Velvet Goldmine! Because it is awesome. Always.

Other than that, Beautiful Thing, Latter Days and My Beautiful Laundrette are high on the list. Also Christopher and His Kind (about the author Christopher Isherwood), A Single Man (starring Colin Firth, based on a book by Christopher Isherwood), Maurice, The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls In Love, Lilies and Another Country (young Colin Firth, yes please!).

Honourable mention also, definitely, to Fucking Åmål. Great movie!

What about 'Lord of the Rings' ? I'm not even kidding and I swear I don't mean to be offensive or anything, but Frodo and Sam seem to me like they're totally in love. They're probably not, but they could be and to me the movie is a lot more fun to watch when I pretend they are.

I liked 'A Single Man' too. Very sad, but kind of beautiful.

And of course 'Brokeback Mountain', the first gay movie I ever saw. Made me cry though.

• 2 weeks later...

"Fried Green Tomatoes"

I really like the undercurrent and subtlety of the love story and tension between the lead characters- Idgie and Ruth.

I have seen a fair few 'gay' films and films with queer subtext and like many.  It's quite fun to be allowed to 'read into' the story what one wants...

Q.

• 2 months later...

I liked the French Movie, Man in his Life.  typical french movies. Strange scenes, and it doesn't help that the story is told nonlinearly, like in Momento.  No sex. 

Don't like Brokeback Mountain. Melodramatic and a  little disturbing. 

There's Kiss of the Spider Woman. with Raul Julia and WIlliam Hurt.  Old-fashioned movie, sad ending. but the good story. 

Edited by crazyfish

I am getting more into the artistic side of gay movies and stories within stories:

Soundless Wind chime

Found the movie extremely touching, innovative, and a good culture shock between two gay guys from different backgrounds.

I quite liked:

1. Yossi & Jagger - 2002 in Hebrew with subtitles - Romance between two soldiers stationed in an Israeli outpost.
  2. Eyes Wide Open - 2009 in Hebrew/Yiddish with subtitles - A married, Orthodox Jewish father of four falls I love with 22 yr old male.
  3. Private Romeo - 2011 English - Romeo and Juliet dialogue in an all male military academy setting. Made this Shakespeare play come alive for me.

edited: inserted missing word

Edited by Ron

"Patrick 1.5"

One of those movies that I'd probably see myself in a couple years time: adoption. It was a funny and heartwarming movie and because I have a thing for swedes and their accent. Wow, that made sense. Haha.

"Shelter"

Because there are two hot guys. Two hot guys. And two hot guys. The movie soundtrack was AMAZING, and the sex-scenes (which looked more like bed-scenes) were so beautiful because you could actually feel that the characters were in love. It's not tacky like some gay films out there, because it was romantic and heartwarming (my heart was seriously melting when they were talking in the bed after the deed was done). You wouldn't want to sleep with anyone of the two leads, but instead you would have wet dreams just to have what they have.

"My Beautiful Laundrette"

I only watched this because Daniel Day Lewis kissing another man or any other man was enough for my emergency dream session. I was surprised to like the movie. 

"Soldier's Girl"

Lee Pace's acting was phenomenal and the storyline was good, considering its genre. And did I mention Lee Pace wearing a halter top with full-blown make-up on. If I'd have a boyfriend who's a drag performer then please oh please, I'd want it to be Lee Pace. That man sure look beautiful as a woman and hot as dayumn as a man. I'd have my picking either way.

I bought the movie Shelter based on the many recommendations in this thread. I liked it. It was a case of two 'normal' looking believable people falling in love, with all the personal drama that their situation might call for, without exploiting the sexual aspect of it. And, I might add, without making it seem dirty.

One of my favorites has got to be The Stranger in Us.  It's not sexual in the slightest, just a story about two guys becoming friends and finding their sexuality.  It's been a long time since I've seen it.  I'll have to look it up again when I get home. :D

Ciao - Slow moving, not entirely a love story. It's actually quite sad in some parts, and a bit quirky in others. I thought they took an idea that was done before, and not a whole lot was spectacular about the film overall, but heh, for some reason it has always pulled me in. Something about the best friend that brought them together on different terms. Thinking that they were actually good for one another as well, but never taking that next step for what ever reason, probably because the relationship never could work, because of the friend, it would be a difficult "threesome," to maneuver around.

Soldier's Girl - I think is a movie everyone should see really. I think the acting and the story is extremely nice and well done. It's actually one of my favorites. Based on actual events.

Mambo Italiano - Very corny, but hilarious in some parts. Not typical.

Latter Days - Convincing, didn't like many of the side actors though.

But honestly, I like a lot of them. I just don't like the endings to a lot of them. Usually the ones that end nicely are borderline too corny and too unrealistic for the rest of the movie. And then there's the ones that the 'gays' always die in the end.. of some sort of disease, violence, addiction, what ever. I don't know why the genre has to go to extremes... to be fair though all genres do.

But honestly, I like a lot of them. I just don't like the endings to a lot of them. Usually the ones that end nicely are borderline too corny and too unrealistic for the rest of the movie. And then there's the ones that the 'gays' always die in the end.. of some sort of disease, violence, addiction, what ever. I don't know why the genre has to go to extremes... to be fair though all genres do.

Yeah this too.  It's a toss up between the gay dies in the end or a corny love story. 

One of the main reasons I liked Man of My Life.   that was rather intelligent. 

And there's another movie. I don't remember the name. I saw it on netflix. the movie is british.  So a gay guy starts sleeping with the supposedly straight guy who's Irish I believe. They meet in some kind of new age explore-your-feelings class that meets at the house of a psychologist. the relationship breaks up in the end, but not in a melodramatic way. The movie was rather nice.  

The gay-dies-in-the-end movies is a matter of the cultural times.  I don't think we'll seeing that sort of films anymore because the culture has moved on.  However the corny love story movies, I dunno how long we'll keep seeing that.   At first we just wanted movies that show gay people being normal and loving like everyone else. Since that is less of an issue now, I think we'll be seeing more intelligent stories. But it's a toss up though.  Complicated characters, realism, sad ending  and such do not do so well with for bottom line  in gay or straight films.  Gay cinema is niche already as it is. Going for something more 'fancy' is perhaps risking too much. 

I just watched this and I am like: :,(  :,(  with joy

It is fluffy and I could make a few critiques about Bi/Straight Japanese actors doing gay things, but the script was solid and the expressions were nice.

Long story short, I erroneously was told that Junjou Romantica had a live action movie, so I looked for the thing like a fan girl in heat :o To my amazement it was a misstatement, but the gay storyline worked even better without plots or baggage from an anime series:

Try Junjou Pure Heart, it might surprise you

• Like 1

gosh ... "Dog Day Afternoon" ... I thought it was about a lawyer that has a wacky day in court and a judge that flies a helicopter

I found out its about a bank robbery to get money for a lovers sex change operation.

the movie news ... "two homosexuals robbing a bank" ... lol

gay themed in 1975

Edited by hh5
  • 1 month later...

New movie for 2013

Mike has felt alienated and alone for as long as he can remember, until a new boy arrives at his school - awakening feelings and a world of possibilities he'd never before dared to dream of.

A man is out to kill a person he swore on his best friend's death bed to protect. CHRIS JENSEN is torn between his allegiance to his fallen friend, TYLER TOWNSEND, who died in Afghanistan and Tyler's half sister who hires Chris to kill her late brother's gay lover. The lover, ANDREW WARNER, stands to inherit half of the families multi- million dollar company left to him by Tyler. Tyler's half sister JACKIE TONWSEND has other plans for the young and unassuming Andrew. All goes to plan even though Chris has fallen in love with the young Andrew. Andrew grows suspicious, the plan is reveled and it's every man and woman for themselves. A fortune will go to the last one standing.

Going South (Plein Sud)

in the summer, 27 year-old Sam drives towards the south of France in his Ford. He meets Matthieu and his sister Léa and takes them along in his apparently aimless journey. Matthieu has a crush on Sam and tries to seduce him. Lea is a beautiful, young, provocative girl who likes men so much that she got pregnant. She soon brings along Jérémie with them. Throughout the trip, they learn to know, fight and love each other. In spite of a blooming relationship with Matthieu, Sam isolates himself because of his secret.

Edited by hh5
  • 2 weeks later...

The Birdcage. It probably has no socially redeeming value, and no relevant message. It was just a really fun movie.

Nathan Lane's performance in that movie is gold. It's a really great movie, and I think it does have a lot of value. It's very satirical, which is always good. The original French movie, La Cage Aux Folles, which it's based on, is also delightful and worth a watch if you can find it. :)