[Hamen Cheese] Charlie

Looks AMAZIN'...will follow near religiously...hehe

Thank you davides! I hope I don't disappoint. :)

I really likd the first chapter Hamen. Charlie sounds like a great story...cant wait for the next chapter! You already know how many there are gonna be? :)

Hey Anya, thanks! I hope you'll like the rest of them to. :D I expect it to be around 25-30 chapters with 23 already certain. I'm just making allotments in case I want to split longer chapters.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, I love this story so much! I just die every time waiting for the next chapter! :) :) :) Can't wait for the next! Chapter 3 was so great! I <3 Charlie!!!

Thanks euxanthios! It always makes me glad to hear people liking what I write. :)

I love this story so much! Can't wait for the next chapter :)

Do you already have it written till chapter 23? ;p

Thanks Anya. Another chapter just got posted hehe. Sorry for the late rep, I missed the posts here until today. The story is written only up to Chapter 12 so far. I'd like to write faster but May was (and is) a particularly busy month for me at work. Hehe. I hope to get it done soon though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey HC,

Charlie is a brilliant story. I'm always checking for the next chapter.

Thank you for sharing this brilliant true life writing.

Will

London

Thank you Will, I always appreciate hearing from my readers. ^_^ Just in case you didn't know yet, I upload chapters for Charlie every Tuesday in the evening for me (I think that would be around midday in London). I do it that way so readers more or less know when to expect a new chapter and not have the looming threat of having started a story that will never finish hehe (like With Trust lol). If Wednesday/Thursday go by without an update, then you can start panicking. :P

Thank you though for reading and leaving a comment. Cheers! :great:

- HC

• 2 weeks later...

This story is so cute, especially when illustrating the childhood memories!

At first, I was really annoyed with the whole "perfect" thing. After the first chapter, I almost didn't read anymore. But I'm glad I kept on reading, because it grew on me. I got used to Derek's obnoxiousness.

It's really sad to read that Derek would want to hold on to what's familiar to him, more than what made his friendship with Charlie special. He's so preoccupied with keeping the status quo, that he's blind to what's happening with Charlie. (But there's nothing fun about a perfect world is there?) I wonder how this story might be different if Charlie ever mustered up the courage to tell Derek. But I can also sympathize with Derek. His problem is similar to many of ours when it comes to accepting homosexuality. It's unfamiliar territory and many of us would much rather latch on to the norm and to the familiar. I look forward to what happens nxt :)

This story is so cute, especially when illustrating the childhood memories!

At first, I was really annoyed with the whole "perfect" thing. After the first chapter, I almost didn't read anymore. But I'm glad I kept on reading, because it grew on me. I got used to Derek's obnoxiousness.

It's really sad to read that Derek would want to hold on to what's familiar to him, more than what made his friendship with Charlie special. He's so preoccupied with keeping the status quo, that he's blind to what's happening with Charlie. (But there's nothing fun about a perfect world is there?) I wonder how this story might be different if Charlie ever mustered up the courage to tell Derek. But I can also sympathize with Derek. His problem is similar to many of ours when it comes to accepting homosexuality. It's unfamiliar territory and many of us would much rather latch on to the norm and to the familiar. I look forward to what happens nxt :)

Well, I'm really glad you got past the first chapter! Hehe. I agree that sometimes our greatest barrier in accepting that which is different (from us) is ourselves. I hope that some day soon things will really be better for all of us.

Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy the rest of it. :2thumbs:

I absolutely adore your story. It is wonderfully written and seems to have a good plot line. However, I just realized that the high school period is not current. Would it be possible to see a tidbit of the current state that Derek or Charlie is in? Personally, I feel that parts of the story are vague. Are you planning on telling the whole story in past tense? I've read "Water For Elephants" and the author does flashbacks but explains what is going on in present day, every four to five chapters. I would like to see where the story is heading, or maybe get a hint of what may come. These are just my personal suggestions and questions. I hope that I have not offended you. I'd just like to clarify some things in the story because I'm confused and the past tense has gone on for ten chapters. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Love the story, its one of my favourites! It appears Derek isn't as smart as he thinks he is... lol.

Will Travis and Charlie hook up? =)

Haha. You know I can't answer that. :P But thank you for leaving a comment. :D

I absolutely adore your story. It is wonderfully written and seems to have a good plot line. However, I just realized that the high school period is not current. Would it be possible to see a tidbit of the current state that Derek or Charlie is in? Personally, I feel that parts of the story are vague. Are you planning on telling the whole story in past tense? I've read "Water For Elephants" and the author does flashbacks but explains what is going on in present day, every four to five chapters. I would like to see where the story is heading, or maybe get a hint of what may come. These are just my personal suggestions and questions. I hope that I have not offended you. I'd just like to clarify some things in the story because I'm confused and the past tense has gone on for ten chapters. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks Jonelle. I'm certainly not offended hehe. I always appreciate feedback. Regarding the possibility of seeing them in the present, here's my comment on it in case others do not want a spoiler. So be warned, this potentially contains a spoiler:

The entire story is told in the past tense where Derek is narrating. That's because Derek is actually talking to someone about events in his past. He is not talking to the reader but rather another character that you will meet in the story. If you look carefully, the invisible you is referred to throughout some chapters and there are hints as to who (whom?) that person is.

The exception to this rule is the last chapter which will be set in the "present day".

If you want me to clarify anything else, please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Thank you for your interest in my story and I hope you enjoy the rest of it. :)

Thanks for another chapter. I really do emphatise with the poor little kid. Although, I do hope the game is actually working (there has to be a reason why its in the 2nd-hand shop). Thanks for the spoiler, I'll go through the story again and try to figure out the hints. I hope we are not nearing the end of the story! Don't let the lack of comments here put you off...its an awesome story!

(I hope Rebecca brings Travis to the date...can't imagine imagine the look on Derek's face lol )

Thanks for another chapter. I really do emphatise with the poor little kid. Although, I do hope the game is actually working (there has to be a reason why its in the 2nd-hand shop). Thanks for the spoiler, I'll go through the story again and try to figure out the hints. I hope we are not nearing the end of the story! Don't let the lack of comments here put you off...its an awesome story!

(I hope Rebecca brings Travis to the date...can't imagine imagine the look on Derek's face lol )

Little comments like this always help hehe. It won't actually be stated in this story but the game the kid bought is working. In fact, it's working a lot better than he ever expected or imagined. 0:)

Nowhere near the end yet. I'm actually having trouble keeping up my writing with the released chapters. I am reaching very soon the last chapter I have written and if I don't get a move on, I'll have to delay the weekly posts. I'm hoping that I don't have to resort to that.

(Haha. Why does everyone expect this? :P)

Hey Hamen Cheese, :P

'Charlie' is such an amazing story. It's supposed to be an everyday life, drama, (romantic?) story but it has now started to feel more like a suspense one. I'm getting fidgety and itchy (it's not such a good thing) to know what's happening between Derek and Charlie. Is Derek even inclined in that way? What did he really feel when he said he felt something 'different' about Charlie? This we should know right?(since it's from Derek's POV).

I know you've mentioned some mysterious things about your story. It kind of intrigues me all the more. I love Derek (unusual me) because he's so un-coolly stupid and he believes completely the opposite about himself. He's a good boy (although buried deep under layers of jerkiness) :P

I want to know more about Charlie. He seems like a good person (can't say exactly). I'd love to see more between him and Travis. Derek is Charlie's best friend so he must know more about him, right? Their relationship feels kind of 'on and off'. A little more stability and openness would do the trick. For eg. Derek should've at least known a bit more about Travis before that.

Please try to make things a bit more clear in the next chapter **bats eyelashes**. You're not that mean to kill a fangirl. :P:D

Love, Tara

• Like 2

Hey Hamen Cheese, :P

'Charlie' is such an amazing story. It's supposed to be an everyday life, drama, (romantic?) story but it has now started to feel more like a suspense one. I'm getting fidgety and itchy (it's not such a good thing) to know what's happening between Derek and Charlie. Is Derek even inclined in that way? What did he really feel when he said he felt something 'different' about Charlie? This we should know right?(since it's from Derek's POV).

I know you've mentioned some mysterious things about your story. It kind of intrigues me all the more. I love Derek (unusual me) because he's so un-coolly stupid and he believes completely the opposite about himself. He's a good boy (although buried deep under layers of jerkiness) :P

I want to know more about Charlie. He seems like a good person (can't say exactly). I'd love to see more between him and Travis. Derek is Charlie's best friend so he must know more about him, right? Their relationship feels kind of 'on and off'. A little more stability and openness would do the trick. For eg. Derek should've at least known a bit more about Travis before that.

Please try to make things a bit more clear in the next chapter **bats eyelashes**. You're not that mean to kill a fangirl. :P:D

Love, Tara

Hi Tara,

It is an everyday life story yes though focused around friendship more than romance. That doesn't mean there won't be a couple (or even couples) in the end but for the most part that is what you will see. Is it suspense also? Yes, it is. The story will eventually take a dark turn. It might not be something everyone will like but I wouldn't want to write a story that is exactly the same as everything else you'll find online. It won't be one of those stories where they realize their love, profess eternity to each other, then bonk each other senseless all night long. :D

Is Derek even inclined in that way? What did he really feel when he said he felt something 'different' about Charlie? This we should know right?(since it's from Derek's POV).

You won't know for certain until Part 4. However, some lines in Chapter 12 will give you an idea of why we don't know despite it being from Derek's POV.

Derek's a good boy I would like to think (though some might not agree with me by the time you finish reading this story). Charlie is definitely a good person. Perhaps I will try to bring out a little bit more of his character in the succeeding chapters. The problem is that it will become quite difficult as you will soon see. Trouble is brewing in paradise and Part 3 will be quite different from the other parts of the story. Also, when I started writing the story, I intended it to be about Derek despite the fact that the story is called Charlie. :)

Regarding the stability, there was supposed to be a segment at the start of Chapter 11 that I intended to write but COMPLETELY forgot to include. It was supposed to be the reason why Derek insisted on coming with Charlie to work. I was supposed to take out that part about Casey's being near but then forgot to revise it. Ideally, it would have explained a little of how Derek was unaware of the relationship that apparently existed between Travis and Charlie. I was thinking of going back and re-writing it days after I released the chapter but that didn't seem appropriate. So, I'll just have to find some other way to explain it. Apologies that it's not included in Chapter 12. It was already written before I read this so I really couldn't change much. Again, I'll try at later chapters.

However, the "on and off" relationship between Derek and Charlie is intended. Since this is Derek's POV, we'll only see what he sees which obviously tends to overlook certain things especially involving Charlie.

Thanks for leaving your comments here. It really helps to get feedback like this. :great:

HC

Can't wait til Chapter 13. Rebecca did bring Travis <3, and Charlie does seem a bit shocked. Was he expecting Rebecca to bring a girl so that he can continue hiding in the closet? Its good that they're going for dinner, I would love to see more Derek's adorable stupidity.

Since this story is largely Derek's narration of past events, I'm sure he is beating himself up for not realising the clues earlier. This is probably why he is putting so much emphasis on the little things like the Charlie's 'blushing' and 'excitement', which puzzled him in the past. Really fun to read :)

Can't wait til Chapter 13. Rebecca did bring Travis <3, and Charlie does seem a bit shocked. Was he expecting Rebecca to bring a girl so that he can continue hiding in the closet? Its good that they're going for dinner, I would love to see more Derek's adorable stupidity.

Since this story is largely Derek's narration of past events, I'm sure he is beating himself up for not realising the clues earlier. This is probably why he is putting so much emphasis on the little things like the Charlie's 'blushing' and 'excitement', which puzzled him in the past. Really fun to read :)

Hey littman, thanks for the post! :D

Yes she did. And to clarify, Charlie wasn't expecting her to bring Travis - though he did of course suspect something was up. ;)

Oh yes, Derek is certainly seeing more things from his past that he didn't notice before (or perhaps ignored) by the time we reach the present day in the story. Though I chose to write majority of the story according to "how he viewed it then" instead of "what they really meant now that he has had time to think about it." :D

This is honestly one of the best stories I've ever read, so my heartfelt congratulations Posted Image

One of the strongest emotions I get out of your work is regret, and that's not a comfortable emotion to sit with. I can very well imagine this going to pretty dark places, especially with the inevitable confrontation between Charlie and Derek over Charlie's sexuality and perhaps also his relationship with Travis. I can see Charlie being heartbroken by this conversation and not making wise choices in the aftermath, hence the hint about "until too late". Anyway I won't try to guess too much of what might happen, but an underfed overactive imagination can only go so long without updates *hint hint nudge nudge*. But as I said, you have written an amazing, emotionally gripping piece of story-writing... keep up the good work!

A few questions:

- Is any of the jealousy that Derek feels about Charlie rather than Rebecca?

- Is Derek's obnoxiousness actually self-deprecation?

- (Even though I know you won't answer, I have to ask Posted Image) Is the "invisible you" Charlie?

Thanks!

This is honestly one of the best stories I've ever read, so my heartfelt congratulations Posted Image

One of the strongest emotions I get out of your work is regret, and that's not a comfortable emotion to sit with. I can very well imagine this going to pretty dark places, especially with the inevitable confrontation between Charlie and Derek over Charlie's sexuality and perhaps also his relationship with Travis. I can see Charlie being heartbroken by this conversation and not making wise choices in the aftermath, hence the hint about "until too late". Anyway I won't try to guess too much of what might happen, but an underfed overactive imagination can only go so long without updates *hint hint nudge nudge*. But as I said, you have written an amazing, emotionally gripping piece of story-writing... keep up the good work!

A few questions:

- (Even though I know you won't answer, I have to ask Posted Image) Is the "invisible you" Charlie?

Thanks!

Hi JimmyD! Thanks for reading my story and leaving a comment here. Hehe. I love hearing from readers. :D Regret is indeed one of the bigger themes carried in this story and certainly something that several characters will feel by the time this story is finished. I just hope you won't regret reading it! :P The confrontation itself will not be so bad (I think) but the path beyond that will certainly be filled with dark times.

I've been updating it with one chapter every week. Hehe. Except this week will see no update. I'm afraid I'm behind in my writing and as much as I want to release a chapter, I can't knowing it is clearly not ready. I will try to get it out as soon as possible though. I'll also try to stick to my one chapter a week release. If only I could get paid to write! :lmao:

Normally, I wouldn't answer questions like that but then why encourage discussion if I won't answer anything anyway! So here are some answers that may or may not give away some of the story. I'll put them in spoilers below in case some folks would rather not know. :)

Jealousy isn't the emotion Derek is feeling. Rather, it is grief. As to why? I can't answer that. ;)

Nope, Derek is certainly not trying to belittle himself (if I understood your question correctly). He really does have a very high opinion of himself. But why wouldn't he? He's perfect. 0:)

- (Even though I know you won't answer, I have to ask) Is the "invisible you" Charlie?

Nope, it's not Charlie. This is not The Notebook. :P

Thanks again and best regards,

HC

• 2 months later...