For some reason I have always loved idioms. An idiom (if you don't know) is an everyday expression that's not supposed to be taken literally, but the phrasing creates a meaning of its own. For example:

It's raining cats and dogs.

Actions speak louder than words.

To smell a rat.

AND my new favorite one is A squeaky wheel gets the grease.

So, my challenge is to come up with your own idiom, then list it and its meaning.

I'll post one later too.

• Site Administrator

Tough! My mind doesn't think that way - I tend to be fairly literal - but I'll see what I can come up with. All my ideas seem to be variations on idioms already taken (as sick as a dog, clear as mud, to kill time, ...). There's an Australian idiom you may not know:

To do a Bradbury - Named after Australian's first Winter Olympic gold medalist, who won the skating when all the people in front of him fell over....

Along those lines:

Osama hidden - hiding in a place too obvious to be considered as a hiding place.

Phelps speed - named after one of the fastest swimmers of all times, Michael Phelps.

I can recall several silly little ditties:

• A real Einstein, that one!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
  • Getting nowhere - fast!
  • You're such a tool...
  • My cup runneth over.
  • Not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.
  • You look great! ...in the dark.
My brother used to tell me; 'Hey, dog-breath, stop yapping."
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Thought up one:

Caviar Clothing - an extravagant, and often offensive, display of wealth.

Richard Amesworthy's caviar clothing ensured that no one would forget he was the richest kid in school.

If it wasn't for his caviar clothing, Fredrick could have been taken for just another one of the boys.

• Like 1

Thought up one:

Caviar Clothing - an extravagant, and often offensive, display of wealth.

Richard Amesworthy's caviar clothing ensured that no one would forget he was the richest kid in school.

If it wasn't for his caviar clothing, Fredrick could have been taken for just another one of the boys.

I like this one :D Thanks for putting thought into it.

My personal favourite is to wear your heart on your sleeve which means you're emotions are very near the surface.

Another favourite is take your head our of your arse which means stop being so up yourself.... come down off your high horse.

And... he had a face like a slapped arse

Oooh ooh.... she was in God'spocket which means to have everything you could possible want.

If you're asking me to write my own then...

as ****** as a fish in a frying pan

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

:blink: Hope I got this one right, trying so hard with these prompts.

One I personally use for myself is: As gay as a gala, A gala in britain is a bright lively and colourful public event, thats open, sometimes noisy and fun.

I try to be all those things, and i'm proud to say i'm gay.

These next two are Luke's, who is my farmhand and he has used them.

This one is to his mother-in-law who is a rather large lady, her usual nickname is hippo.

She sits with her legs open because of her size and Luke says: Shut your legs your breath smells. I dont really want to explain that one.:blink:

His favourite for me is: A few fries short of a happy meal. Yes Luke very funny i'm an idiot I get that.

• 8 months later...