[Andrew_Q_Gordon] Archangel by Quonus10

• Site Administrator

Awwww, too bad for Trevor. Then again, it's not like he's been pining away has he? He didn't face his fear sooner or try to overcome it on his own adn so he loses out on something he might have had, at least until Alex and Nick met. You snooze, you lose - so to speak. Maybe it's my inherent distrust of pretty slutty people but I don't feel that bad for him. Nick and Alex are definitely an intriguing couple. The aliens turned angels to fit in with the mythos of the human race angle... very good twist. I definitely want to know more. It might be a while before you have time to focus on writing but I truly hope this story is continued. I'd like to know more about these angels and men. Have you started it at all or is it still just in your mind? Or are you going to tease and not tell us that??? :P

• Like 1

An interesting story. The ending kind of surprised me, but it was good you let Nick realize the inevitability of joining his soul mate. At least we know Trevor will understand his loss.

Carl - thanks for stopping in - Trevor may or may not accept his loss - I mean he knows it's a part of his heritage that one gracefully lets go when soul mates meet, but I'm not so sure he understands. But that is a tale for another day 0:)

Awwww, too bad for Trevor. Then again, it's not like he's been pining away has he? He didn't face his fear sooner or try to overcome it on his own adn so he loses out on something he might have had, at least until Alex and Nick met. You snooze, you lose - so to speak. Maybe it's my inherent distrust of pretty slutty people but I don't feel that bad for him. Nick and Alex are definitely an intriguing couple. The aliens turned angels to fit in with the mythos of the human race angle... very good twist. I definitely want to know more. It might be a while before you have time to focus on writing but I truly hope this story is continued. I'd like to know more about these angels and men. Have you started it at all or is it still just in your mind? Or are you going to tease and not tell us that??? :P

Tease? Me? :blink: I don't know what you're talking about. 0:)

I have not started it, though I have some ideas that I've put down, nothing too formal. It's a few projects away I but I tend to jot down scenes here and there as they come up then work them in later. I promise not to abandon this, Just need to finish a few others first.

As for Trevor, I think his slutty 'nature' was more him trying to forget about Nick while still living with him and keep him under watch. The snooze you lose tag is apt, but in the end it would only have been worse for both if he acted.

The aliens/angles idea was sort of my take on what so many others have done before - what if aliens had come to earth when the world was young? Would primitive man seen them as Gods?

Let's see how this all comes together.

I'm honored that my name was used in the story, but I still couldn't get emotionally attached to it. If only there was a cure for SS-itis. :blink:

It was too short to get attached, but I'm sorry for afflicting you. I wish I had a cure. I bet you know SS better than I do at this point LOL.

Hey, the antho is up! This story is awesome, and I'm a total Trevor fan. :P But you know that already, lol.

Trevor was an interesting character for me. Outwardly he is happy go lucky, inward he was scared and that has turned to anger and disappointment. He has the potential to be so many different things in the larger story, friend, protector, lover, betrayer, martyr, so much. Alex is not only Nick's soul mate, he is a leader of their kind. Trevor can't really compete with him on either level. So what path does he take? So many questions.

Hey, I like Nick! ^_^

once he gets over the issues! :D

he's pretty cool! (hence the suggestion of the side-kick!! :lol: )

Uriel and Nick.. Kick-ass ____ fighters!!

(err... excuse the stupid question, but exactly what would they be fighting? :blink: )

• Like 1

Hey, I like Nick! ^_^

once he gets over the issues! :D

he's pretty cool! (hence the suggestion of the side-kick!! :lol: )

Uriel and Nick.. Kick-ass ____ fighters!!

(err... excuse the stupid question, but exactly what would they be fighting? :blink: )

That my dear, is the subject of the story this is a prelude to. Telling would be .... well too telling. 0:)

Ah, at least you are able to write a long story. I currently find myself unable to. I just write those kind of 'glimpses' as I call them. Anyway. Again, the theme of your story is in fact very interesting. I love that kind of alien stuff.

I have this whole vision, I wish I could share it all without ruining things for people, I haven't worked out all the kinks but most are in place - or in my head. I want to shy away from the "Angels' have too much power, I am not trying to write the Justice League of Angels or the Avenging Angels, but their powers need to be more than just a wee little thing.

The glimpses as you call are - in my opinion - harder than the long ones. In the long ones you can bury a few bad lines or cheat a bit to push things along and so long as the rest of the story is good, people will over look it. the short ones have so few words and lines that you can't waste any, each one has to work. Either way, I loved what you did, hmmm maybe I need to post this on your forum :P

• Like 1

Great story. I found myself pondering the concept of soulmate if Nick had the ability to actually say no and chose to do so. I mean can you have an unrequited soulmate? Maybe if you are insecure and cant let yourself be truely loved then you can. But talk about frustration, - not unlike what a lot of us have gone through when the retarted object of our affection cant see we are the perfect choice. haha.

Im sort of thinking that slutty Trevor could sort of fall from grace so to speak if he cant get over his pining. The sluttyness might be a sign of a weaker character, - or mere youth.

Also wondered why poor Nick was not as beautiful on the outside like the other arch angels? cause he was born of humans? or will his archangel powers be so magnificent that his physical self is totally overshadowed. and since he is born of humans, is his lifespan or rate of growth the same?

lots of questions and lots of possible directions.

Again, good job enjoyed it. It does really want to be worked into a longer work. IMHO... ooops sorry i dont have any humble opinions. so get writing!

Abrazos

jeff

• Like 1

This was a great read! Not too many stories can grab me and paint scenes to what I'm reading and place me right in it but that's what tuis story did. The characters I found relatable I knew there were angels in here somewhere but I didn't know how you were gonna use them, nice alien touch. I swear I was listening to Katy Perry's ET when Alex spread his wings Nick.

I look forward to reading more of what you have in store.

P.S. I might read Second Shot now!

• Like 1

Great story. I found myself pondering the concept of soulmate if Nick had the ability to actually say no and chose to do so. I mean can you have an unrequited soulmate? Maybe if you are insecure and cant let yourself be truely loved then you can. But talk about frustration, - not unlike what a lot of us have gone through when the retarted object of our affection cant see we are the perfect choice. haha.

Im sort of thinking that slutty Trevor could sort of fall from grace so to speak if he cant get over his pining. The sluttyness might be a sign of a weaker character, - or mere youth.

Also wondered why poor Nick was not as beautiful on the outside like the other arch angels? cause he was born of humans? or will his archangel powers be so magnificent that his physical self is totally overshadowed. and since he is born of humans, is his lifespan or rate of growth the same?

lots of questions and lots of possible directions.

Again, good job enjoyed it. It does really want to be worked into a longer work. IMHO... ooops sorry i dont have any humble opinions. so get writing!

Abrazos

jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the response, let me see if I can answer some questions witht giving too much away:

The idea that Nick might reject Alex and stay with Trevor was/is a consideration. I left it that Nick felt something but wasn't sure what it was. Trevor told him that if he didn't know Alex was the 'one' he would when he get's his powers. Of course he isn't supposed to get his powers for another 25-75 years so there is plenty of time fo him to NOT feel the pull - if that is how I take it. The final decision isn't made, though I think I know what I want to do.

Trevor - again, another could go either way - he could be a martyr - protecting nick with his life, a confident/best friend or a he could be a jilted lover whose actions threaten to make things worse. Again, I have a good sense what i want but no final decision.

For Nick's looks - I think he is better looking than he says. Remember both Trev and Alex think he is beautiful and not just on the inside. Nick doesn't necessarily have the most self confidence. And hanging around trevor wouldn't help it when everyone wants your best friend. But not all angels are amazing looking. We just haven't met any of the ugly ones yet. That said, Angel's like Alex and his brothers came over and took human form. Thus they got to pick what they wanted. As did the other original Angels. That would give the breeding stock a leg up since they could pick what they looked like.

My idea on the Angel's powers aren't fully formed yet, but Nick will be like the other angel's - immortal even though his powers are fully there yet. he will not age like other humans. Beyond that, he will have control over his appearance, meaning he can change his features but I don't envision him doing that or having that power right away - he is still a long ways from having his powers.

okay that was a lot - more than I had intended. Whew, now to find time to start this. :/

• Like 1

This was a great read! Not too many stories can grab me and paint scenes to what I'm reading and place me right in it but that's what tuis story did. The characters I found relatable I knew there were angels in here somewhere but I didn't know how you were gonna use them, nice alien touch. I swear I was listening to Katy Perry's ET when Alex spread his wings Nick.

I look forward to reading more of what you have in store.

P.S. I might read Second Shot now!

Thanks Prince, glad it grabbed you. I was trying to do more than just toss in the angels and make it a story about them, I wanted it to be more about the characters who we find out happen to be angels - or an arch angel in Alex's case.

I'm gonna go search for that song on U-tube and listen to it and see if it makes me see Alex spread his wings :)

Thanks again for reading - and let me know if you read Second Shot. Hopefully it too will grab you.

Andy

• Like 1

So am I the only one that liked James the most?

j/k

Great story - one thing I love about our anthologies is a chance to sample authors I haven't tried yet. LOVED your writing and can't wait to see where you decide to go with this. Also can't wait to check out the rest of your writing!

• Like 1

I know it's bad form to comment on one's own story, but I'm kinda surprised no one dogged on Nick for doing to Trevor what Trevor said he wouldn't do to Nick.

Trevor said he wouldn't hook up with Nick because after they did the deed, he was likely to move on, that he couldn't be the monogamous bf Nick wanted. Then when Nick meets Alex they do hook up and Nick moves on, leaving Trevor with nothing but a night of passion. Guess I wasn't half as clever as I thought LOL.

• Like 1

Well done setting up a "universe" and it's "rules" in a short story; that's far from easy.

I liked the way your portrayed Alex... he actions were incongruous - until the reveal.

Well done!

• Like 1

Well done setting up a "universe" and it's "rules" in a short story; that's far from easy.

I liked the way your portrayed Alex... he actions were incongruous - until the reveal.

Well done!

Thanks for reading CJ - appreciate the comments.

I'm sure the title was a bit of giveaway but my hope was the twist would correct it. Now to get the rest of the story out of my head onto 'paper'

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Without a doubt, a fascinating and creative story. :worship::worship:

There have been a lot of good questions thrown at you and you've fielded them marvelously, especially considering that you don't want to give away too much and, as you have mentioned, a few details need to be ironed out.

Let me add to the questions. Why angels and archangels? Taking on human form is fine, but what's with the feathers? :lol: Is there some purpose being served by becoming angels?

Don't get me wrong, I like the angels concept. Alex saying, "I'm an archangel." was so cool. Had Alex said, "I'm an alien." that would have sucked. :lol: Perhaps the simplest answer is "Why not angels?"

You realize of course that if the human creationists ever discover these angels, science will be buried for centuries. :lmao:

• Like 1

Without a doubt, a fascinating and creative story. :worship::worship:

There have been a lot of good questions thrown at you and you've fielded them marvelously, especially considering that you don't want to give away too much and, as you have mentioned, a few details need to be ironed out.

Let me add to the questions. Why angels and archangels? Taking on human form is fine, but what's with the feathers? :lol: Is there some purpose being served by becoming angels?

Don't get me wrong, I like the angels concept. Alex saying, "I'm an archangel." was so cool. Had Alex said, "I'm an alien." that would have sucked. :lol: Perhaps the simplest answer is "Why not angels?"

You realize of course that if the human creationists ever discover these angels, science will be buried for centuries. :lmao:

Thanks for the comments, I particularly liked the symbolism of the 'worship' icon - I assume that was for Uriel and his brothers :P

As for the feathers and what not - again, I don't think this is giving away too much - they have control over their bodies. In my head, they rarely if ever used them BUT they've been calling themselves 'angels' forever. Alex has been 'Uriel' for 3500 years. It was their disguise for whenever they needed to use their powers - It might be a lame concept the more I flesh it out but that was the idea - that they can create or remove them at will - just as Alex could grow a tail or sprout fur. At least that is my thinking for now. As Alex said, his name is unpronounceable in English or other earth languages, so they just called themselves angels. Arch Angel designates greater power. Have to see how it plays out when it's written I suppose :)

Thanks again, and yeah, well space traveling aliens wouldn't do much for the creationists either. 0:)

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Another great story! The topic of Angels, albeit space-faring ones, is greatly personal. Love this stuff. And as I scanned though the posts, I was left with one primary thought ... all of the characters are great. There's not a favorite, thery're all integral to the story and to the other characters. Please tell me that you're actively writing this story and that this isn't just a response to the Summer authors thing. It has tremendous potential, and you do great things with potential stories, that's why out of all the others, I picked yours to read first. Great job!

Another great story! The topic of Angels, albeit space-faring ones, is greatly personal. Love this stuff. And as I scanned though the posts, I was left with one primary thought ... all of the characters are great. There's not a favorite, thery're all integral to the story and to the other characters. Please tell me that you're actively writing this story and that this isn't just a response to the Summer authors thing. It has tremendous potential, and you do great things with potential stories, that's why out of all the others, I picked yours to read first. Great job!

Drewd,

Thanks, appreciate that -

That's the hard thing about writing for the anthologies - I generally fall in love with the character - don't have the time to do what I really want to do with them and then it gets stuck in a queue. Right now I am not actively working on this. Need to finish two other things first - Purpose being one - and a short story that is a companion to Second Shot. BUT this is on my list - I want to get back to Nick and Alex and Trevor as I have a definite story in my head about them and others you've yet to meet. No promises on when, but I do want to bring it to live soon.

Thanks again for the note - I keep you posted :)

Andy

• Like 2