[KingdombytheSea] Dare by Kingdom by the Sea

OMG that was awesome... and what an ending :)

:D Thank you!

What an interesting layout. The time-jumps worked perfectly!:2thumbs:

Good story and a great job.

Thank you.

Yeah, new layout for me to work with, really enjoyed writing it! Thanks :)

Oh hell yes =D I love it! OMG THat ending nearly had me in happy tears. Man that was just f**king perfect. I swear, you wrote taht whole thing just for that line, didn't you? Posted Image

• Like 1
just to clarify, while i thot they'd be getting together sometime during the story (sean & mark, that is), i assumed it would be at the end, but ... i never saw the "you wanna?" and "dare me?" thing coming. that was a great, no ... fantastic, no ... wait for it ... (ok, i just remembered i'm gay) ... "fabulous" way to end the story. as someone suggested, i don't know if you had that line in mind while writing the story, and i hope you didn't ... better to be surprised by your own capabilities as the story unfolds, i think ... just like the readers are. bravo!Posted Image
  • Like 1

just to clarify, while i thot they'd be getting together sometime during the story (sean & mark, that is), i assumed it would be at the end, but ... i never saw the "you wanna?" and "dare me?" thing coming. that was a great, no ... fantastic, no ... wait for it ... (ok, i just remembered i'm gay) ... "fabulous" way to end the story. as someone suggested, i don't know if you had that line in mind while writing the story, and i hope you didn't ... better to be surprised by your own capabilities as the story unfolds, i think ... just like the readers are. bravo!Posted Image

To be honest, when I started writing this piece I had no idea where I was going. I knew the style I wanted to aim for, and I knew the "dare" frame, but I was a good halfway through before I started troubling myself w/ coming up w/ an ending (okay, truthfully, freaking out about not having an ending :P). It was a little scary for me, since Social Skills was completely planned out before I even began drafting, but I guess it worked out all right in the end :)

Great story, Sara! I'll have to read more of your stories in the future. I really liked the ending of it. It makes me wonder what happens next. I hope you someday write a sequel or something. It'd be wonderful. Of this I have no doubt. :2thumbs:

• Like 1

Great story, Sara! I'll have to read more of your stories in the future. I really liked the ending of it. It makes me wonder what happens next. I hope you someday write a sequel or something. It'd be wonderful. Of this I have no doubt. :2thumbs:

Thank you :*) I guess I'll have to write more stories in the future, since right now I only have the two :P

Really glad you enjoyed it :). Hmm sequel . . . hmmm (you've got me thinking :P)

• Like 1

The time jumps were well paced and worked smoothly, not easy to do.

The arm not bending the way it should... that scene made me smile. I remember a guy in my high school (not me!) who tried a skateboard rail slide over concrete stairs. He was soon howling from pain AND telling the guy filming to keep filming. :wacko:

Well done, and the ending was great. :)

The time jumps were well paced and worked smoothly, not easy to do.

The arm not bending the way it should... that scene made me smile. I remember a guy in my high school (not me!) who tried a skateboard rail slide over concrete stairs. He was soon howling from pain AND telling the guy filming to keep filming. :wacko:

Well done, and the ending was great. :)

Thank you! Most people seem to 'get' the jumps, so I'm pretty pleased :)

Hehe, yeah . . . I was not a daredevil as a kid (except for the breaking into houses part ...but I digress) but I think I've seen way too many of those 'funny videos' where some kid gets hurt skateboarding :P

Definitely a sweet ending! Well done! :2thumbs:

"I triple dog dare you!" Do kids still use that line? :lol: Geez, that line goes way back, believe me. Although I seem to remember using "double dog dare you". Same difference I suppose.

The story would have been better had Mark and Sean run Billy up the flag pole. :lmao:

I must say though that I thought Sean's dare to Mark (to think for himself) was the best part of the story.

Thanks. :worship:

Definitely a sweet ending! Well done! :2thumbs:

"I triple dog dare you!" Do kids still use that line? :lol: Geez, that line goes way back, believe me. Although I seem to remember using "double dog dare you". Same difference I suppose.

The story would have been better had Mark and Sean run Billy up the flag pole. :lmao:

I must say though that I thought Sean's dare to Mark (to think for himself) was the best part of the story.

Thanks. :worship:

Thank you :*) I heard "triple dog dare" when I was a kid, which was a bit ago, so who knows if it's still around now :P

You're the first person to mention that specific dare, I believe. I did put in a bit of fun there at the end, but aside from that I felt like this ended up being a bit of a (hopefully not too heavy-handed) morality tale-- so that dare was pretty important from where I'm sitting :)

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

You're the first person to mention that specific dare, I believe. I did put in a bit of fun there at the end, but aside from that I felt like this ended up being a bit of a (hopefully not too heavy-handed) morality tale-- so that dare was pretty important from where I'm sitting :)

Nah. Wasn't heavy-handed at all. It fit perfectly with Sean's character, and it's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect to come out of the frustration of trying to minimally fit in and tag along but being largely ignored meets some real deep conviction coupled with all the things he's always wanted to say but held back.

Nah. Wasn't heavy-handed at all. It fit perfectly with Sean's character, and it's exactly the sort of thing I'd expect to come out of the frustration of trying to minimally fit in and tag along but being largely ignored meets some real deep conviction coupled with all the things he's always wanted to say but held back.

Thank you :) So glad it felt real to you. Thanks for commenting!

I've been reading "Social Skills" (and loving it, btw) so I was eager to read "Dare." When I'm anxiously awaiting the next installment of a series, I love reading through the single chapter works by the same author. This was quite a treat, and I hope you keep writing shorter stories. They are perfect "right before bed" reading—particularly this one. I liked the points where Mark ambiguously admires Sean. It made the ending seem realistic rather than a forced "Tada! Everyone's gay!" moment. I anticipated that they were going to get together in the end, but I kept worrying that it was one of THOSE kinds of stories and Mark was going to die horribly. I related to Sean in this story as the quiet careful type and was cringing before every dare, lol. Anyhow, many thanks for the great writing.

I've been reading "Social Skills" (and loving it, btw) so I was eager to read "Dare." When I'm anxiously awaiting the next installment of a series, I love reading through the single chapter works by the same author. This was quite a treat, and I hope you keep writing shorter stories. They are perfect "right before bed" reading—particularly this one. I liked the points where Mark ambiguously admires Sean. It made the ending seem realistic rather than a forced "Tada! Everyone's gay!" moment. I anticipated that they were going to get together in the end, but I kept worrying that it was one of THOSE kinds of stories and Mark was going to die horribly. I related to Sean in this story as the quiet careful type and was cringing before every dare, lol. Anyhow, many thanks for the great writing.

Yay! :P I get so ridiculously excited when readers notice the subtle things I throw in, because sometimes I worry I'm being too subtle. I think you're the first person to mention Mark's admiration of Sean.

Thanks so much for sharing!

• 7 months later...

Yay! Posted Image I get so ridiculously excited when readers notice the subtle things I throw in, because sometimes I worry I'm being too subtle. I think you're the first person to mention Mark's admiration of Sean.

Thanks so much for sharing!

I sent you a message about Social Skills and now I've read Dare. I identify completely with Sean - and to prove it I've reached 77 without ever breaking a bone. Thank you once again. I look forward to your next.

Love,

Anthony

• Like 1

I sent you a message about Social Skills and now I've read Dare. I identify completely with Sean - and to prove it I've reached 77 without ever breaking a bone. Thank you once again. I look forward to your next.

Love,

Anthony

Thanks for the message! Glad you liked this short...I had a lot of fun writing it. I haven't been bitten by a lot of short story bugs, but at least this one seems to be well-received :)

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...