With the utmost respect to GA

Before someone "negs" someone, they should at least 'think' about what they are doing!Posted Image

What are the specific things that you don't like about the post that you are now about to 'neg'?

Did the post degrade you specifically? If the answer is "no", think about it.

I'm guessing that we are dealing with a subject having not too much to do with each of us-but rather having to do with how each of us 'look' at each other.

So, how can we control the hidden assasins?Posted Image

You! Your face is red!Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

I'm confused? what is the point of this thread again? I think this topic gets brought up at least once a month.

The neg reps will be here until they are not here. Deal with it. YOU are not going to change it by whining about it, and to be honest I find those who give them out the most.. or receive them the most are the biggest whiners.

Does that describe you?

The neg review is outside of our control. Yeah, it's dissapointing to see your points go up, up, up and then see them drop a few, but oh well, someone either felt strongly that they didn't like what I was saying or they just had a really bad day.

I personally think that if you are going to give negative points then you should at least tell the person what you didn't like. PM them if you don't want to display it in public but they should know why they got it.

Well that's my two cents worth. :P

• Like 1

I'm confused? what is the point of this thread again? I think this topic gets brought up at least once a month.

The neg reps will be here until they are not here. Deal with it. YOU are not going to change it by whining about it, and to be honest I find those who give them out the most.. or receive them the most are the biggest whiners.

Does that describe you?

I think your time estimate is pretty spot-on. Posted Image

People abuse the pos/neg system all the time. Its just something you have to deal with like Lugh said.

True, although if you think someone is maliciously persecuting you, you can ask a mod to check it out. I've had that happen a few times. I don't know why. I'm such a pleasant, likeable guy. Posted Image

hey lugh ive had too much wine already. cheap red wine out of a box. you know what that means. i start typing and i cant stop myself.

so...

Well rating systems generally try to give us some kind of predictive score, - something one would call a measure of central trendency if one had the misfortune of spending too much time in stats courses.

What we usually use is an average (1 to 5 stars) or the sum of pluses and minuses. An average is a measure of central tencency as long as the underlying population from which the scores are obtained is normally distributed which stars can sort of be.

The sample population of 1s and -1s cant be normally distributed so if 100 people rate something and half love it and half hate is you get a zero and it looks like no one likes it. the rating in such a case actually describes no ones opinion at all.

In a way the people who tend not to give negs have modified the +/- system to a +/0 system which at least always presents some descriptive information acurately reflecting the votes, i.e., The number of positives are tabulated and to the degree they exist the information is useful.

another way would be to have two running tallies: a plus tally and a minus tally. so a story could be rated... 50 people love it and 50 people hate it. which would be interpreted differently than a single score of zero.

HOWEVER because the present system takes points away from a score it does have a built in conscience so to speak that encourages all but evil or careless people to carefully consider whether a negative click is called for. So i MAY actually favor the existing system even though it may not always provide an accurate measure of central tendency.

Ill need to drink some more wine and think on it some more... :funny:

B).............. I rarely neg anyone, In fact I give up 99% thumbs up to all stories and rarely venture into the forums to vote anyone up or down. That said the system is set up and will remain as such. There have been several instances where one or many persons have 'campaigned' against a poster and driven down their rep points, in each instance the mods have rectified it, but that is a rare instance. I guess you can live with it or complain about the system, choice is yours when you post.

Ocht, there's little I agree with TetRefine about, but his quotation from Churchill is spot on. Thusly, I am delighted that my anodyne score has returned to 0. It means that I have made some enemies ... and since I havent been nasty, I can be secure in knowing that I must've stood up to someone. If rep meant that much it would be worth worrying about. But since it is an acknowledged flawed system, we just have to derive the best we can from it. I got four negs on the circumcision thread for telling ppl they were arguing different things, not listening to each other and were basically being childish. Wonder who that was? Hmmm, sometimes its better not to know ur enemies.

• Like 4

Ocht, there's little I agree with TetRefine about, but his quotation from Churchill is spot on. Thusly, I am delighted that my anodyne score has returned to 0. It means that I have made some enemies ... and since I havent been nasty, I can be secure in knowing that I must've stood up to someone. If rep meant that much it would be worth worrying about. But since it is an acknowledged flawed system, we just have to derive the best we can from it. I got four negs on the circumcision thread for telling ppl they were arguing different things, not listening to each other and were basically being childish. Wonder who that was? Hmmm, sometimes its better not to know ur enemies.

My guess is you got negged for a haughty attitude of "I know better" or "I am above it all", but then I got negged for listing sources. Everyone has their reasons for negging people. You were actually 1 in the hole so I gave you a pos to get you at least even.

I don't think there ought to be any + or - for people's opinions, it just leads to bullying, but the system is what it is.

• Like 3

To be honest, I don't really give a rat's ass about reputation. I know I piss off people all the time with my strong opinions, and I often get negged pretty badly. I know of some people who won't even read my posts, they just hit the minus button. My problem to the system isn't because I care about my reputation, its because its such a snide, backstabbing way for people to disagree with one another without having a civil, intelligent discussion. The circumcision thread is a perfect example. Tim got negged like crazy for posting indisputable facts, and then got jumped on by people who offered no facts of their own. It happens to him, and several others on here way more then it should. The whole problem with the rep system is not with the actual number, but with the way it is so back-stabbingly abused.

• Like 2

My experience in reading your posts is that you bludgeon people with your opinion. You're not interested in civil intelligent discussion. You're interested in being right, no matter the cost. This post is just another example of your attitude. You behave like just another online bully. Why would any sane person want to respond to you?

By your own admission, you're negged a lot. Whether you're willing to admit it or not, that's still feedback. You simply toss it aside without a thought and call the people who negged you backstabbers.

Sorry, but personally insulting people with or without merit is what makes one a bully. I don't insult people. I argue their points and back them up with fact. People neg other people all the time for no good reason, anyone will tell you that. I'm not going to get into it with you. You have tried to provoke me in the past with outlandish comments and I'm not going to waste my time getting into a flame war with you.

Edited by TetRefine
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Okay gentlemen, let's not get started on pointing fingers and talking about how this person or that person does this or that to deserve being negged. The system is in place, it has flaws but then again this isn't high school. I don't play the games of, 'I don't like you so I'm going to try to be snarky by using the neg system' It's very rare for me to use that option usually if I don't agree with someone I don't neg them, I attempt to discuss the issue.

Not everyone takes that view though. Some people will always be ready to show their disagreement in such a way rather than trying to talk an issue over. Others will use that system vindictively because they feel it's warranted because of personality issues or a private conflict independent of the topics or stories. I've been negged for posts and in my stories but honestly I shrug them off or laugh. I'm an adult. A number doesn't define me and if someone can't refute my opinions or tell me why they don't agree with me or like a story I've written then I could care less about their opinion, including that little red number. I just wish everyone else could realize that truth as well.

• Like 2

My experience in reading your posts is that you bludgeon people with your opinion. You're not interested in civil intelligent discussion. You're interested in being right, no matter the cost. This post is just another example of your attitude. You behave like just another online bully. Why would any sane person want to respond to you?

By your own admission, you're negged a lot. Whether you're willing to admit it or not, that's still feedback. You simply toss it aside without a thought and call the people who negged you backstabbers.

And yet you bludgeon Matt?

All I have seen of Matt is impassioned beliefs, but because those beliefs go against the norms of this community he gets a lot of grief for them.

I believe Matt's definition of backstabbing is people negging people without an explanation.

I would have negged your post, but I am sure you would have blamed Matt so I didn't.

I think your attitude in that post is less than stellar and not in any way civil.

Online bullying is name calling and vitriol, I just don't see any vitriol from Matt, I do see it from many of his distractors and shockingly from people you would think were old enough to know better.

Edited by Matthew k
  • Like 4

The one thjng I really really really dont like about it is the + or - buttons. I am on here on an ipad and its a bit more difficult to select something that wee and so close together accurately. I just negged Tim by accident when he was agreeing with me, and there is no option to change your 'vote' when u make that mistake :( Tim if u wanna post a wee line, I'll try and undo the error. xx

Oh, actually, I've just realised, you'll have to post twice for me to get where I wanted it to be. Sheesh!

• Like 1

I usually only thumb up stories, rarely a comment, and even then only a positive one, I've never given out a neg rating. If I don't like something I either ignore it or respond to it with a comment.

The circumcision debate is always going to be an heated one. Especially with the anti circ group, because they feel strongly about it.

I feel this thread shows no respect at all for GA.

It was started in yet another attempt to rile people up over the reputation system which is not going to change today or due to this discussion.

There have been "near" personal attacks on persons in this thread.

There has been borderline nastiness.

No, not respectful at all.

Pure nastiness in fact.

• Like 1

Close and trash the discussion? :P

Why not?

Simply cut the comments short and hope that the problems will go away?

The problem won't go away. There IS a problem.

GA needs to deal with it-not me.

I wanted to help when I started this thread. Oh well.

@ Krista: You are making it look as if I started a useless thread. Please look at and actually read what I posted-please?

Something here is fixable....there is no need to make a person so angry about another person that they actually feel it necessary to be rude in the extreme!

Aren't we supposed to have a somewhat 'common' interest/bond?

Aren't we supposed to be civil persons?

Again, I am just asking.

Rudeness is totally unacceptable to me. I am so disappointed with GA at the moment. But there is SO MUCH here to keep me interested! So many stories written by so many authors.

neg me :wacko:

• Like 2

This thread is a heck of an explosion. Why do little boxes bring out such strong feelings?

it seems to me that the posts in this thread are quite a neat demonstration of the issues which surround the boxes themselves.

If threads like this keep cropping up then doesn't that mean that it's still a live issue and, okay maybe there is nothing that can, or should be done to change it but if we're going to abuse the system can we at least stop abusing each other. What exactly does 'respect other opinions' mean?

• Like 1

This thread is a heck of an explosion. Why do little boxes bring out such strong feelings?

it seems to me that the posts in this thread are quite a neat demonstration of the issues which surround the boxes themselves.

If threads like this keep cropping up then doesn't that mean that it's still a live issue and, okay maybe there is nothing that can, or should be done to change it but if we're going to abuse the system can we at least stop abusing each other. What exactly does 'respect other opinions' mean?

:wub:

That's all I was trying to say!

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I was going to post something, but I can't honestly say what I'm thinking.

I wonder why I bother.

I suspect that we will use a new alternative that will be available in IP.Board 3.2 when it is released and we have GA.Stories updated to work with it. That will be several months.

In the meantime, with all due respect, stop bitching about the reputation system. Don't give other people the power over you to effect your happiness.

• Like 5