Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 97: Means to an End

Chapter 97, Means to an End, is up.

I'm adding a link to an interactive map of the area, centered to show the relevant spots, including Kookaburra's anchorage and Murchison house. I suggest taking a look. Here's the link.

For those new to the forums, welcome, and make yourself at home. Posted Image

BTW, my normal chapter-posting day is Tuesdays, but that got moved up to midnight Mondays somehow, and now it's Monday evenings. I'll try to maintain that, but please be aware that for the next three chapters we might be looking (and likely will be, for chapter 99) at Tuesday evening posts, due to my work and travel schedule making Monday internet access problematic for the next three weeks. Sorry for any confusion.

CJ Posted Image

Posted Image ................... Well it is good that the time line has moved forward 4 days. the excitement is about to start, I wonder how Mr. B plans to attack Trevor here? Most likely at sea, but given Trevor's last encounter at sea with the pirates I doubt he will not be prepared. Or will Mr. B be fooled that Ned and Fowler are navigating the Kookaburra when he strikes. I noticed the raised eyebrows at the mention of Trevor seeking his relatives in Northam by Fowler and the other Constable, how much do they know about all of this, I think they are very well much aware that Trevor's relatives do not live there. Finally I am still grasping at straws or not, is the Atlantis the Aries or not? Ned has one more place to check out and has implied that the contents may have been dumped into the ocean after the collision, yet has not confirmed if this is true or not. Still the serial check mentioned a chapter back has not been mentioned. Then there is the hint that those documents have already been found and someone has them. I really think the Kookaburra will never set sail to the America's, because she (Aries) will be found to be intact in Australia

I think George is already ready to jump ship with Bridget, he sees a no-win situation with her and and Sanchez, the cartel has already made moves here. George is in the perfect place being an Drug enforcement agent in their eyes, and an asset to their business.

Meanwhile back to Trevor and Shane, now they are about to traverse back out at sea, when will Mr. B decide to strike? I believe one of those nasty creatures of the Australian nature will come back to make their nature known!

Edited by Benji

Hi Benji,

One thing for sure, Chapter 97 covered a lot. However, when the chapter ended it left me confused about several matters.

Let me start with Basingstoke. He discovered Kookaburra somewhere before noontime on Thursday. Based on the information in the final paragraphs of this chapter, Mr B. rented a powerboat later that afternoon. In those same closing snippets we learn the Hitman is apparently staked out on Chinaman’s Point waiting for, and watching Kookaburra sail from Kalbarri and head south.

We know from Chapter 95 when Trevor and Shane left the Kookaburra on Sunday morning, the Zodiac would have been secured in her davits. The impression Trevor wanted to display was that someone was aboard. In Chapter 95 Martin tells Trevor the local powerboat rental will not let their rental boats head north of Goat Island.

What I would like to know is: How did Basingstoke know to be on Chinaman’s Point to watch the Kookaburra departing Kalbarri Friday afternoon.

Next there is the matter of the parts Ned wants to have Trevor and Kookaburra pick up in Geraldton and deliver to Carnarvon. Trevor sailed on Friday afternoon heading to pickup the large gear Monday morning. It is about 150 kilometers away. That is less than 100 miles. Maybe 6 to 10 hours of travel time.

Several chapters ago the subject of Shane’s Stop and Steal Safari was mentioned. Specifically considered were the negative aspects of him being seen around marinas between Perth and Carnarvon. It was mentioned that Kalbarri was probably a safe location to hang because it was not on the main road.

I do not understand why they departed Kalbarri. Of course if they had stayed, the assassin would have most likely scuttled their trip. I know that. You know that. How did Trevor and Shane know that?

To loosely quote Yul Brynner in the Musical, “The King and I,” “It is A Puzzlement".

Benji, Then there is the way both Martin and Greg Fowler handled Trevor’s announcement of his quest to find the sunken Ares. Dirk could not have been in contact with Australia concerning Rachel. To do so would have put him in danger of screwing up the expiration of at least one of the two Federal Criminal Conspiracy Statute of Limitations. Shane was the only person who knew about Trevor’s Quest locally. Their responses and Martin’s decision make little or no sense to me.

Confusing isn’t it.

Marty

Edited by MartyS

"Basingstoke .... smiled"

This has to be one of the most terrifying lines CJ has written. The stage has now been set for the bloodbath of killing, screams, terror and mayhem that is CJ's cliffhanger-trademark storytelling style.  There will be blood-spattered gizzards and gore, all evoked in visceral CJ HorrorScope.  Easily-disturbed minds should peep nervously through their fingers while reading the next chapters, preferably while hiding behind the sofa.  Do not believe The Goat's evil lies.  Bad things are about to happen.

• Like 1

Being a strong believer in karma and that in the end all things balance out, I think it's time for lady luck to smile on Trevor and friends rather than the evil ones. I'm not saying that everything is going to be smooth sailing, but a little bad luck on the part of B'stroke & Co. seems in order. As for as George goes, if he is going to bail on Bridget, the best way would be to set her up in such a way that he could avoid being taken down as well. I can think of several ways that could happen and even a couple that could backfire on him. The next few chapters promise to be very interesting.

Benji,

I think I may have solved one of the puzzles I mentioned in my earlier post. Mr. B established the fact he had rented a powerboat on Thursday. I questioned how he was able to be at Chinaman’s Point watching when the Kookaburra sailed Friday afternoon.

I should have waited a day or so and considered all possibilities. Basingstoke did rent a powerboat. Remember that collection of security devices he has? It would not be too hard for him, to conceal some kind of tracking device aboard Kookaburra. That would explain the powerboat and him knowing the catamaran was underway. He also didn’t seem concerned Trevor was sailing away.

Let me throw in something else. When Mr. B returned from his unsuccessful search on Wednesday, he contacted some people in Carnarvon Bay, Tasmania. He instructed someone to buy something for cash. Any ideas? How about a boat?

Let me put that aside and go on to something, which has been really bothering me for a while. Specifically, “Who is Rachel?”

Benji, the following quote appeared in Chapter 95.

Trevor shrugged off his mood and smiled. “I’ve always liked the name ‘Shelly’, because it reminds me of my mom; it was her middle name. Dad called her that sometimes, and it’s what he had put on her tombstone: Shelly Carlson. So when I hear it, I get kinda mopey sometimes. It passes quick though.”

This did not make any sense to me. Read on and you will see my thoughts on this quote. I am seriously considering Trevor was mistaken about Shelly being her middle name.

I read the following quote in a review for Chapter 95. It contains something I was not aware of.

One observation: we learned that Shelly was Trev's mom's middle name, but it is also a diminutive for Rachel. Not that parents haven't saddled their kids with some strange even abusive names, but was she really named Rachel Shelly Smith?

In the Chapter 96 Judas thread I posted the following:

To tell the truth as far as I can tell Rachel might be Shelly Foster, Sarah Blake or even Melody, Ned's Wife.

After posting that quote, I then followed up with a lengthy post explaining why I was keeping my options open as to which of the three was Rachel. You might want to review what I said.

Then consider this. A while back I posted an opinion, in one of the threads regarding Rachel and her disappearing act. I speculated what criteria someone looking for her might use. I was considering a law enforcement agency or the Cartel might be trying to locate her. One of the search parameters I listed was: “Involved in the Charter Boat Business.”

This has been nagging away in the background whenever I considered Rachel being Sarah Blake.

We know Trevor’s mother has a sister. I have been giving serious consideration to the probability that Sarah Blake was Rachel and Shelly Foster was her sister.

In one of my earlier posts I gave my estimate as to how old Rachel was. In doing my evaluation, I guesstimated Rachel was around twenty years of age when she married Dirk. We do not know how Dirk and Rachel became involved with each other. We know from the Prologue, “ their marriage was a spur-of-the-moment decision, rash and hasty,” The Prologue also establishes Rachel had started at age 12 to handle boats. She also was well trained and knew sailboats. I bring to your attention her taking out a charter in Ares without engines.

There is nothing appearing in this story to show that Rachel’s sister is in any way involved. We only know she exists because of the telephone call Trevor made to Lisa after arriving in Carnarvon.

If Rachel became involved with boating at age 12, it was most likely a family thing. Maybe her sister did also.

Rachel might have to keep her head down because of the Disappearance. There is another factor to consider. Martin Blake and Greg Fowler have been friends since they were in school together. There is one fly in the ointment. Martin Blake runs a farm. This is usually a family inherited occupation going back for generations. Martin’s farm is near Geraldton. That is a long way from Northam. That should rule out any probable school relationship between Rachel and either Martin or Greg.

What do you think so far, Benji? One of the biggest problems I have is: “Why didn’t Greg Foster find out about Trevor Sunday evening when he got home.” I am sure you remember, I believe he did not get the word until Monday evening, about the possibility of a concealed firearm aboard the catamaran.

If my supposition is correct, it clears up something else that has bothered me for a while. Shane told Trevor early on, Mrs. Blake did not go out that often on Kookaburra. It is an established fact Rachel loved sailing.

Next, Let me throw in a WAG. The two of them may be identical twins. Being sisters they may look so much alike; Sarah Blake could not let Trevor see her.

I will be interested in reading your response.

Marty

One added thought. Ned told Foster he had not found any hidden compartments. I guess he didn’t find Trevor’s hide-a-way. I wonder why Greg did not question him on that.

May I whole-heartedly agree "Basingstoke ...smiled" are THE most chilling words written in this drama to date.

yet again more bloody questions raised than answered..... I am sure my blood pressure rises every time I read a chapter....

roll on All Hallows Eve

This has to be one of the most terrifying lines CJ has written. The stage has now been set for the bloodbath of killing, screams, terror and mayhem that is CJ's cliffhanger-trademark storytelling style. There will be blood-spattered gizzards and gore, all evoked in visceral CJ HorrorScope. Easily-disturbed minds should peep nervously through their fingers while reading the next chapters, preferably while hiding behind the sofa. Do not believe The Goat's evil lies. Bad things are about to happen.

Zombie! Come on, all Basingstoke did was smile, and then whistle "Waltzing Matilda". How can that be bad??? Well, okay, maybe he's off-key and wouldn't be fun to listen to, but surely that's not terrifying?

Being a strong believer in karma and that in the end all things balance out, I think it's time for lady luck to smile on Trevor and friends rather than the evil ones. I'm not saying that everything is going to be smooth sailing, but a little bad luck on the part of B'stroke & Co. seems in order. As for as George goes, if he is going to bail on Bridget, the best way would be to set her up in such a way that he could avoid being taken down as well. I can think of several ways that could happen and even a couple that could backfire on him. The next few chapters promise to be very interesting.

Trevor has been quite lucky a few times. Posted Image That bomb getting stolen in the Suez was exceedingly fortunate. Posted Image

But, yeah... luck can be such a fickle, fickle thing... Posted Image

Posted Image ................Next weeks posting will be on Halloween night... Just saying!

Yes, it will. I didn't know that, but how very appropriate!

Err, DaddyDaveK, I think I guaranteed you that "the big reveal" would happen before Halloween. I knew it would be in 98 and 99, and it will, but... um, once again I prove that I cannot count. So, I'll post a few hours early, Monday afternoon, so it's not quite Halloween night. Posted Image

May I whole-heartedly agree "Basingstoke ...smiled" are THE most chilling words written in this drama to date.

yet again more bloody questions raised than answered..... I am sure my blood pressure rises every time I read a chapter....

roll on All Hallows Eve

Oh come on... how can a smile be chilling? It's just an innocent smile, and some happy whistling. Posted Image

Let me throw in something else. When Mr. B returned from his unsuccessful search on Wednesday, he contacted some people in Carnarvon Bay, Tasmania. He instructed someone to buy something for cash. Any ideas? How about a boat?

As for Trevor and Shane, they don't know abotu Basingstoke. They do, however, need to be heading south; they want to spend a few days down near Perth, to go to Northam and search for Trevor's family before Joel's arrival.

As far as Basingstokes' call, the contacts are in Melbourne, he was seeking info on Carnarvon bay, Tasmania, but the contacts are in Melbourne. Melbourne is famous for, amongst other things, superb Chinese take-away food. Perhaps Basingstoke was just ordering dinner?

CJ Posted Image

Marty

I think I may have solved one of the puzzles I mentioned in my earlier post. Mr. B established the fact he had rented a powerboat on Thursday. I questioned how he was able to be at Chinaman’s Point watching when the Kookaburra sailed Friday afternoon.

I should have waited a day or so and considered all possibilities. Basingstoke did rent a powerboat. Remember that collection of security devices he has? It would not be too hard for him, to conceal some kind of tracking device aboard Kookaburra. That would explain the powerboat and him knowing the catamaran was underway. He also didn’t seem concerned Trevor was sailing away.

I came to that conclusion also but you beat me to it!!! Posted Image

Yep, I concur on that idea also, he is going to need one to get close to his victims.

Let me put that aside and go on to something, which has been really bothering me for a while. Specifically, “Who is Rachel?”

I beleive it is Mrs. Blake and Shelly is indeed her sister. I beleive Officer Fowler told his wife about finding a strange incidence of a one Trevor Carlson, when Shelly heard the name and description, she immediately called her sister and then Officer Fowler was informed about his 'nephew'.

There is nothing appearing in this story to show that Rachel’s sister is in any way involved. We only know she exists because of the telephone call Trevor made to Lisa after arriving in Carnarvon.

If Rachel became involved with boating at age 12, it was most likely a family thing. Maybe her sister did also.

Rachel might have to keep her head down because of the Disappearance. There is another factor to consider. Martin Blake and Greg Fowler have been friends since they were in school together. There is one fly in the ointment. Martin Blake runs a farm. This is usually a family inherited occupation going back for generations. Martin’s farm is near Geraldton. That is a long way from Northam. That should rule out any probable school relationship between Rachel and either Martin or Greg.

Most likely she met Martin after a get together with her sister soon after arriving in Austrailia.

What do you think so far, Benji? One of the biggest problems I have is: “Why didn’t Greg Foster find out about Trevor Sunday evening when he got home.” I am sure you remember, I believe he did not get the word until Monday evening, about the possibility of a concealed firearm aboard the catamaran.

Not sure, maybe Shelly could not get ahold of Rachel until the next day.

If my supposition is correct, it clears up something else that has bothered me for a while. Shane told Trevor early on, Mrs. Blake did not go out that often on Kookaburra. It is an established fact Rachel loved sailing.

That bothers me also, could it be she is afraid of being spotted by former clients from Florida?

Next, Let me throw in a WAG. The two of them may be identical twins. Being sisters they may look so much alike; Sarah Blake could not let Trevor see her.

I will be interested in reading your response.

Marty

One added thought. Ned told Foster he had not found any hidden compartments. I guess he didn’t find Trevor’s hide-a-way. I wonder why Greg did not question him on that.

Good point, unless he already mentioned Trevor's hidden compartment to Ned.

Edited by Benji

I beleive it is Mrs. Blake and Shelly is indeed her sister. I beleive Officer Fowler told his wife about finding a strange incidence of a one Trevor Carlson, when Shelly heard the name and description, she immediately called her sister and then Officer Fowler was informed about his 'nephew'.[/size]

Hi Benji,

Every reason you stated in your response to my posting is exactly what I said in my posting last week. The problem is those inconsistent little items I mentioned are still there. I would strongly suggest if you did not check out my posting last week, please do. Every thing you believe is there..

I do not intend to try to convince you I am correct. All I will do is ask you to think about it. I may be wrong, but my gut feeliing is those little inconsistancies need to be paid attention to. So I am going to do so. As far as I am concerned, Rachel is Shelly Foster.

Marty

Hi Benji,

Every reason you stated in your response to my posting is exactly what I said in my posting last week. The problem is those inconsistent little items I mentioned are still there. I would strongly suggest if you did not check out my posting last week, please do. Every thing you believe is there..

I do not intend to try to convince you I am correct. All I will do is ask you to think about it. I may be wrong, but my gut feeliing is those little inconsistancies need to be paid attention to. So I am going to do so. As far as I am concerned, Rachel is Shelly Foster.

Marty

Posted Image ...........We disagree on who Rachel is, I can't see Martin running a charter and running a farm. The reason I think Rachel is Mrs. Blake is the fact that they own the Kookaburra, Mrs. Blake hired Shane who resembles Trevor enough that Mr. B wasn't sure which one was actually Trevor. My guess is that if Shelly is Rachel what became of the Aries? I don't think she would have let it go, I still believe that the Kookaburra is the Aries and that Mrs. Blake has to lay low in fear of being recognized as Rachel by customers, who may have sailed with her back in Florida, until the statutes are up.

• Site Moderator

First, if I'm correct, Trev's handgun was found because he got sloppy and didn't close it back up when he took the money out of his hiding place.

I enjoy watching you guy's go back and forth on your comments. I'd love to comment but the fear of becoming a new feather bed for the goat stops me.

First, if I'm correct, Trev's handgun was found because he got sloppy and didn't close it back up when he took the money out of his hiding place.

I enjoy watching you guy's go back and forth on your comments. I'd love to comment but the fear of becoming a new feather bed for the goat stops me.

Hi TalonRider,

Your recollection of the events occurring in Chapter 66 is faulty. Rather than spending a lot of time here typing them, i thought it easier to refer you to the chapter. You can if you wish to, review them.

Fowler's explanation to Trevor as to the reason he decided to search the boat, was at best ambiguous. Recent events involving his wife were significant enough for me to closely examine that scenario. After doing so I concluded Fowler had been briefed Monday evening by Rachel. I believe during that conference she told her husband, that based on her knowledge of Dirk, there was a strong probability there was a handgun concealed in the catamaran.

Marty

I believe recently there was an excellent link posted. When you went there it was the Golden Eagle who was victorious over the goat.

Edited by MartyS

Posted Image ...........We disagree on who Rachel is, I can't see Martin running a charter and running a farm. The reason I think Rachel is Mrs. Blake is the fact that they own the Kookaburra, Mrs. Blake hired Shane who resembles Trevor enough that Mr. B wasn't sure which one was actually Trevor. My guess is that if Shelly is Rachel what became of the Aries? I don't think she would have let it go, I still believe that the Kookaburra is the Aries and that Mrs. Blake has to lay low in fear of being recognized as Rachel by customers, who may have sailed with her back in Florida, until the statutes are up.

Well Benji, we did agree to disagree. This appears to be one of those times. Some of our opposing opinions should be answered in Chapters 98 and 99. I doubt Rachel's current identity will be among the secrets revealed.

Marty

I believe recently there was an excellent link posted. When you went there it was the Golden Eagle who was victorious over the goat.

Here's your link Marty.  It's well worth another viewing - definitive proof, as if any were needed, that The Goat is a CLIFFHANGER!!! Posted Image

Edited by Zombie

Err, DaddyDaveK, I think I guaranteed you that "the big reveal" would happen before Halloween. I knew it would be in 98 and 99, and it will, but... um, once again I prove that I cannot count. So, I'll post a few hours early, Monday afternoon, so it's not quite Halloween night. ../..//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Posted Image .......From G-Ds lips to the goats ears Posted Image it should happen that the big reveal will occur on Chapter 98. I rather suspect the goat will give us a 'half answer in 98' and the rest in 99, in other words he will split the mystery to us, he will give us the fact that Rachel is alive and well, but not give us much more until later in the next chapter. Mr. B is tracking the Kookaburra, he will get himself a boat to follow and try to fulfill his contract, but the goat has alluded to many of the nasty creatures that inhabit Australia, I wonder if in his attempt fate will be on Trevor's side.

Or will a discovery aboard the Atlantis sidetrack Mr. B.? His reporting back to Sanchez could make the killing scenario disappear and contract ended with what he can gather from Ned's discovery on-board.

Or will a discovery aboard the Atlantis sidetrack Mr. B.?  His reporting back to Sanchez could make the killing scenario disappear and contract ended with what he can gather from Ned's discovery on-board.

But The Goat has got form here.  Based on the horrific cruelty imposed by the merciless and scheming plot-meister on beloved characters in his previous tales, is it likely that The Goat would allow the opportunity for some more violent and bloody killings to slip past his cloven hooves? Hmmmm? Just asking Posted Image

Here's your link Marty. It's well worth another viewing - definitive proof, as if any were needed, that The Goat is a CLIFFHANGER!!! Posted Image

Thank you Zombie, one thing for sure, that goat is an Expired Cliffhanger.

Marty

Err, DaddyDaveK, I think I guaranteed you that "the big reveal" would happen before Halloween. I knew it would be in 98 and 99, and it will, but... um, once again I prove that I cannot count. So, I'll post a few hours early, Monday afternoon, so it's not quite Halloween night. ../..//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Posted Image .......From G-Ds lips to the goats ears Posted Image it should happen that the big reveal will occur on Chapter 98. I rather suspect the goat will give us a 'half answer in 98' and the rest in 99, in other words he will split the mystery to us, he will give us the fact that Rachel is alive and well, but not give us much more until later in the next chapter. Mr. B is tracking the Kookaburra, he will get himself a boat to follow and try to fulfill his contract, but the goat has alluded to many of the nasty creatures that inhabit Australia, I wonder if in his attempt fate will be on Trevor's side.

Or will a discovery aboard the Atlantis sidetrack Mr. B.? His reporting back to Sanchez could make the killing scenario disappear and contract ended with what he can gather from Ned's discovery on-board.

Hi Benji,

First and foremost: Thank you.

Now regarding this quote:

Think carefully. With any author other than the Goat, this is highly possible. However, CHJ (That is a diminutive for CliffHangerJames) is about to give up secrets he has kept hidden for almost two years. He needs something to replace his feeling of power. So he has created new secrets. Who is Rachel? Will Mr. B carry out his mission?

Marty

if CJames goes to book two right now the entire story is a cliff hanger

lol

if we still have a mystery of who is rachel n why joel n lisa m shane n trev take off on atlantis n kooluberry off to the usa

But The Goat has got form here. Based on the horrific cruelty imposed by the merciless and scheming plot-meister on beloved characters in his previous tales, is it likely that The Goat would allow the opportunity for some more violent and bloody killings to slip past his cloven hooves? Hmmmm? Just asking Posted Image

Zombie!! Posted Image What on earth makes you say that? WHAT cruelty? Nothing bad ever happens in my stories!!!!

And what possible scenarios in Circumnavigation could lead to violence??? I can't see any. Posted Image

Could Basingstoke turn a huntsman spider loose aboard Kookoburra to kill Trevor and Shane? If they saw it, the natural reaction would be to jump overboard, which could be fatal at sea....

if CJames goes to book two right now the entire story is a cliff hanger

lol

if we still have a mystery of who is rachel n why joel n lisa m shane n trev take off on atlantis n kooluberry off to the usa

I did consider making Circumnavigation two novels, when I first realized that it'd take a lot more chapters than I thought. But, I decided against it, because it's too interrealted. I guess I could have, and probably should have, but we're too close to the end now for it to be an option. :)

Hi Benji,

Marty

My theory is that Trevor has three birth monthers. Posted Image

Zombie!! Posted Image What on earth makes you say that? WHAT cruelty? Nothing bad ever happens in my stories!!!!

And what possible scenarios in Circumnavigation could lead to violence??? I can't see any. Posted Image

Could Basingstoke turn a huntsman spider loose aboard Kookoburra to kill Trevor and Shane? If they saw it, the natural reaction would be to jump overboard, which could be fatal at sea....

I did consider making Circumnavigation two novels, when I first realized that it'd take a lot more chapters than I thought. But, I decided against it, because it's too interrealted. I guess I could have, and probably should have, but we're too close to the end now for it to be an option. Posted Image

My theory is that Trevor has three birth monthers. Posted Image

It is my considered opinion The Goat has gone Round The Bend. One of the above quotations, specifically this one:

My theory is that Trevor has three birth monthers.

pretty much proves my opinion.

It is my considered opinion The Goat has gone Round The Bend. One of the above quotations, specifically this one:

My theory is that Trevor has three birth monthers.

pretty much proves my opinion.

I suppose he was trying to be tongue-in-cheek, but it did come off as being 'round the bend'. I know writers are supposed to enjoy their work, but I think the goat is getting a bit snarky about trying to set his readers up while his poor characters are suffering, like almost right out of the "Perils of Pauline".

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..