Prompt #81 - First Line

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

"Oh my god, I think I killed him."

"Pull over." Ted shoved his door open as soon as the car came to a stop by the curb. He ran over to the dog in the middle of the road. The poor animal was whining and trying to get up.

"Oh, thank god, he's not dead."

Ted glanced up at his date who was standing a few feet away staring at the poor dog.

"She actually. And no, she's not dead but she might be if we don't hurry. Do you have a blanket in your car?

"Uh yeah." Bryce just stood there.

Ted's eyes widened at the man's stupidity. "Well go get it!"

"Oh, okay, sorry." He ran over and popped the trunk, rummaging around.

Ted took the blanket he handed over and put it across his arms. He gingerly scooped up the small animal, shushing it when she whined. "It'll be okay, little lady. We'll get you help."

He walked over to the car, his date trailing after him. "Shut the door for me please." Ted slid into his seat, cradling the panting dog. "I think there is a vet clinic about three blocks back. I saw 24 hours on the sign."

Bryce sniffed as he put the car back in gear. "That dog really stinks. The blanket is probably ruined."

Ted rolled his eyes. Really? The blanket is what he was worried about? "Your blanket would have been fine if you had been driving the speed limit and paying attention, not trying to impress me."

"What? I wasn't--"

"You were. Just save it. You and I both know this date wasn't working out anyway. We're totally different and want totally different things. I’d been hoping to meet someone I could connect with but there is no way you and I could have anything in common."

Bryce huffed like he was affronted. Ted just rolled his eyes again. He couldn't believe that Amy set him up with such a tool. "Just drop us off at the clinic. I'll get a cab home." What a way to spend Saturday night.

Dinner had been a bust. A pricey restaurant with small portions of admittedly good tasting food but not nearly enough of it and the conversation was stilted and uncomfortable. Sure, they were both lawyers but Bryce was a corporate lawyer and Ted was an environmental lawyer. Totally opposite ends of the spectrum most of the time. Ted liked burgers, baseball and beer. Bryce liked chianti, opera, and escargot.

Not a match made in heaven.

Bryce didn't say anything as he got out of the car at the clinic, just opened Ted's door and waited for him to get out.

"Don't worry about her treatment, I'll pay for it," Ted said when Bryce walked to the driver's side. Bryce just shrugged and Ted knew then that he probably wouldn't have even stopped if Ted hadn't made him. What an asshole! He didn't watch as the man drove off, he just hurried over to the clinic door. He couldn't open it with his hands around the dog so he kicked it a few times, hoping someone would hear him and come open the door.

"Hey! Knock it... Oh. Sorry, I thought it was teenagers again. Do you need help?"

A tall, gorgeous man stood in the doorway. He had dark, almost black hair and stubble across his cheeks. A white coat over his blue scrubs bore the name, Steve Holbright, DVM. Ted blinked for a minute, a tad awestruck and then realized he was staring and blushed.

"Yeah, this dog got hit by a car. I don't think she's hurt too bad, but she was whimpering when she tried to get up."

"Well, let's just take a look at her, why don't we?" The vet held open the door and Ted brushed by him, shivering a little at the slight contact.

"So tell me what happened." Steve gestured for Ted to lay her down on an exam table in the main room and Ted did before stepping back.

"My date wasn't watching and hit her a few blocks from here. I got out and checked her and she was crying a bit and didn't seem to be able to get up so I picked her up and came here. She doesn't have a collar so I have no idea if she's someone's pet or not."

Ted was looking at her, listening to her lungs and then he prepped a thermometer. "Well, you're right, she doesn't look like she's on death's door but her breathing is a little labored and she might have a broken leg. I'll finish doing a few things and then I think some x-rays on her chest and right leg should be the next move.

"Judging from her appearance I would say she's a stray. I can treat her but..."

"I'll cover the cost of whatever she needs, don't worry about that. I think she's probably pretty cute under all that dirty fur and I have a house so I can even give her a home if you can fix her up."

Steve looked up and smiled at Ted warmly. "That's very good of you. I'm surprised your date isn't picking up the bill though, if she was driving."

"He, actually." Ted rolled his eyes. "I don't think it even crossed his mind anyway."

Steve grimaced. "I hate people like that. Animals don't know any better, to stay out of the road. Only a selfish asshole would leave an animal to suffer for their mistake."

Ted raised an eyebrow and then snorted. "That pretty much sums him up."

Steve blushed. "Sorry. I shouldn't have gone off like that. Just a sensitive subject, I guess. I didn't mean to insult your date."

Shrugging, Ted smiled at him and their eyes met and held. "Don't worry about it. I happen to think you're right and told him something very similar."

Steve smiled back, then looked down at the scruffy dog on the table when she whined. Ted reached over and scratched her head. "It's okay girl, Dr. Steve is going to fix you right up."

The x-rays didn't take long and the fracture of her front leg was minor and just required splinting. Her lungs were bruised but Steve told Ted he didn't think it would cause permanent damage.

"She should probably be watched for a few hours, but you can handle it if you are prepared to stay up a few more hours. I'd do it but--"

"Hey Steve, I'm ready to take over if you want to head home." A female voice from the reception area startled Ted.

"As you can hear, my shift is over. Umm..."

Ted sighed a little. He had been hoping to offer to stick around the quiet office, keep an eye on her with the handsome vet but it looked like he was leaving.

"No, no... Don’t worry about us. I'll just keep an eye on, uhh, Scruffy at home. I can make some coffee to keep me awake."

A woman's head popped through the door. "Hey Steve, there you are. What do we have here?" She entered the room, her eyes scanning up and down Ted's body before she looked at the dog on the table. Steve was just finishing up bandaging her leg.

"This is Ted and Scruffy. She got hit by a car and he brought her in. She's pretty much done, just needs some observation for her breathing but he says he can handle it."

"Oh." She seemed put out. "Well, I'll just go check on the other animals. Don't forget to lock the door behind you guys when you leave." Steve gave her a little wave as she left.

Ted folded up Bryce's blanket and used it to wrap around the filthy dog. "I just need to call a cab. My date was my ride and he took off."

Steve was drying his hands off. He looked at Ted and then at Scruffy. "I can give you a ride, if you want."

"Oh, you don't have to do that, I'm sure you have better things to do."

"No, not really. Just a TV dinner and the nightly news."

Maybe Ted could salvage a bit of the night. He'd been getting some pretty strong signals from Steve. He decided to take a chance. "I have some leftover lasagna in the fridge. If you like pasta, maybe you could come in for a little bit, help me keep an eye on Scruffy."

"Really?"

Ted nodded and decided to go for it. He was a pretty blunt man and Steve seemed to be the same. "My date didn't exactly pick a place with a robust meal option. I'm starving and I'm not usually this forward but I just feel like I want to get to know you better. No hidden agenda, I'm not looking for a one night stand. I just thought maybe dinner and a chance to get to know someone who actually seems like a decent person would help redeem my crappy evening."

He waited to see what Steve would say. He'd either like Ted's honesty or he wouldn't. At least he'd have given it a shot.

"Sounds good to me."

Ted felt a huge smile curve across his face. It looked like he found someone to connect with after all.

• Like 1

"Oh my god, I think I killed him!" , the young woman shouted holding a shovel.

I answered, "I'll check. Stay back. Where is he?"

She said, "In the back yard. He surprised me on the patio. He tried to grab me but I smacked him." Her hand were shaking as she held the shovel at port-arms.

I pulled my Beretta and clicked off the safety and pulled my mag-lite.

I keyed my radio and said, "This is one-L-19 responding to complaint of a prowler, I'm Code 2 at 145 Pine Valley Highway. 10-70 reported in the back yard. Roll backup."

Dispatch responded, "One-L-19, Code 2, any available backup please respond."

I wasn't holding my breath for back up. As crazy as things were going that night, I wasn't really expecting any for a while.

"Mam- go inside and lock the doors. I'm going to clear your back yard."

She disappeared inside the garage door with her shovel and I heard the latch snap.

If it was illegal aliens in this neighborhood it would be a first. The surrounding terrain was some of the roughest desert in the South West. This little berg was a well-to-do far flung suburb of Tuscon way out south of Red Rock.

I went around the side of the house and found the gate to the back yard standing open. There was a diffused blue light coming from a bug-zapper on the other side of the fence. As I passed the gate there was a distinct smear of dark blood. Thought to myself- it looks like she got a piece of him.

As I went into the back yard, I yelled, "Pima County Sheriff's Office! let me see your hands!"

I swept the yard with my mag lite and saw nothing on my first sweep. It was a nice place. It was a fenced in back yard with a pool, pool house and tool shed. The tool shed door was standing wide open and a light was on inside.

As I swept through the yard, I saw a shadow move in the tool shed. I came around, put the mag-lite and Beretta on the door of the shed and ordered, "You in the shed. Come out and let me see your hands."

Suddenly a big guy in army fatigues, combat boots and a holstered side arm appeared in the door of the shed. The flash-light beam in his face made him stop. There was blood on the side of his face and he appeared quite pale. What bothered me the most was the blood on his hands. Holy shit. What I stumbled into?

On seeing his side arm I yelled, "Drop the weapon. Drop it now!"

He started coming toward me and began accelerating.

I yelled one more time, "Drop the weapon and get on your knees. Last warning!"

He continued to accelerate toward me.

I shot him twice, center mass and he fell on his back.

I keyed my radio mike and said, "Shots fired, shots fired, suspect down! I need a bus and a supervisor now!"

I approached the suspect, leaned over and took the pistol out of his holster. As I was securing his weapon, the suspect opened his eyes and made a grab for my legs.

"Stay down! There's an ambulance on the way!"

The suspect rolled over, got up and came after me again.

I took two more shots and dropped him again.

He got up faster this time. I put two more rounds in his chest and another two in his head. This time he didn't get up.

I looked around at the scene and there was blood and gore everywhere.

Somewhere in the night I heard the boom of a shot gun. The shot gun went off three more times and there was a blood curdling scream.

I heard the gate creek and I turned to see another messed up person shambling into the back yard. The man was in his thirties and had a bloody neck wound.

I ordered him to halt but he kept coming for me. I shot him twice once in the chest and one in the head. As soon as he had dropped a horribly injured Mexican man came through the gate snarling and running toward me. I shot him twice and went dry. I quickly slammed another magazine into my gun and decided that it was time to get the hell out of Dodge.

As I ran through the gate there were two more. I shot them both and sprinted for my cruiser when I saw dozens of those things coming toward me. I jumped in the patrol car, fired it up and ran over three of them as I ran like hell.

What had just happened? Why had I just left the scene of a shooting and run over three people? What the hell was going on? What was wrong my my freaking bullets? Nobody got up after taking center mass shots at close range. Nobody.

I listened to my police radio as unit after unit reported gunfire, officer involved shots fired and people acting crazy. The world was falling apart for no apparent reason.

What's with you and zombies? Posted Image Totally creepy that the cop's main defense, a gun, is suddenly useless. I'd run like hell too!

Glad you should ask that. I'm working on a zombie novel but everybody is writing them. I'm taking my time with it and want to make it unique enough to be worthwhile.

Somehow that wasn't what I was thinking of when I created that starter. Glad it worked for you. (shivers) Never did care for zombies. I guess it is time to post the one I wrote off this idea. lol.

“I think I killed him,” Sam said from the hallway.

The group grew quiet as four heads turned and looked at the little boy. Sam gulped but didn’t move.

“What do you mean you think you killed him?” Debbie asked, as she set down her soda and stared daggers at the Sam.

Sam stood clutching his teddy bear, tears streaming down his face. His bare feet made no noise as he stepped into the living room and faced the teenagers gathered there.

Tricia stood up and walked over to her baby brother. She knelt down and rested her hand on his shoulder as she looked him in the eye.

“What happened, Sam? Did you have a bad dream? Something scare you?”

“Damn kid always …”

Tricia shot Ted a look and he shut up quickly.

“Just tell me what is wrong, Sammy.” Tricia kept her voice calm as she waited for Sam to tell her why he was out of bed.

Sam pulled his teddy bear close and tried to stop his bottom lip from quivering. Finally he stuck out his chin and sniffled once.

“I woke up cause the Bogey Man was trying to get in,” he whispered burying his face into his teddy bear.

Neal came over and knelt down by Tricia. He smiled gently at Sam and gently patted his shoulder.

“How do you know it was the Bogey Man?”

“He was all in black,” Sam began looking at Neal wide eyed, “and he was pushing on my window.”

Ted laughed as he heard Sam talking. Ted dismissed anything Sam had to say.

Sam frowned and his eyes grew wide. His bottom lip began to tremble, but he held his teddy bear tight and looked over to where Ted sat beside Debbie. He stuck his chin up and tried not to cry.

Neal gave Ted a look and then turned his attention back to Sam.

“What happened next, Sam?” Neal pulled Sam over and into his lap. The little boy leaned against Neal but he had a tight grip on his bear using it as his security blanket.

“I got scared,” Sam began his voice going higher as he told his tale. “So I grabbed Teddy and moved to the side of my room to hide. The Bogey Man opened my window and he climbed in.” Sam paused and looked up into Neal’s face. He raised his hand, “honest.” The tears slowly fell from the little boy’s eyes and he trembled against Neal's body.

“Shh. It is okay, Sam. I believe you. What did you do once you hid?”

Tricia was looking nervously at Neal and then down the hallway Sam had come from.

“I grabbed my bat. You know the one Tricia; the one Daddy got me at the park.”

Tricia remembered her brother trying to sleep with the commemorative bat he got last summer from the baseball game. It wasn’t a heavy bat; in fact it was just the right size for him. Their mother had made him keep it in a little spot by his dresser.

“When the Bogey Man leaned into my room I grabbed the bat and I hit him. I hit him and hit him, till I got scared and dropped it. Then I came out here,” and then Sam broke down into tears again. The little boy wrapped himself around his bear, afraid to look up.

“You hit him?” Tricia looked at Neal. The look of panic on her face was clear.

“You think the kid is telling the truth?” Debbie began to shoot nervous looks up the hallway that led to Sam’s bedroom.

“Only one way to find out!” Neal carefully passed Sam over to Tricia. He looked at the little boy and his girlfriend as she wrapped her arms around him. “Stay here.”

“Come on, man,” Ted began to grumble. “This is all in the kid’s head.”

Ted was looking angrily at Sam. His face was red and he kept balling his right hand into a fist. He turned and looked at Neal where he stood at the edge of the hallway.

“I mean Sam always wanting something when Tricia has to babysit him. I mean a drink of water, someone to read to him.”

“Look, I’m not asking you to do anything. I am just going to check out his room,” Neal stated as he glanced again at the little boy who was shaking in Tricia’s arms.

“Hold on a minute,” Tricia said as she slid Sam onto the couch near Debbie. She rushed over to the end table at the other side of the room. She was back a minute later and handed Neal a heavy flash light. “Here," Tricia said as she forced it into his hand. "Take this with you.”

Neal leaned in and kissed her quick.

“Go with him, you stupid jock,” Debbie whispered as she shoved Ted toward Neal.

Ted looked back at Debbie and grunted. The he walked over and followed Neal down the hallway. The two walked softly and Ted pushed open the door to Sam’s bedroom. He looked in and then turned to Neal pissed off.

“See. A total waste of time,” Ted furiously whispered at Neal. As he turned to go there was a sound in the room.

Both guys froze for a moment.

“Uh,” grunted someone from the other side of the room.

Neal flicked on the bedroom light and hurried around the bed, followed by Ted.

Sprawled on the floor was a stranger in a ski mask. Sam’s little bat lay along side of him.

“Holy shit!” Ted stood staring down at the guy as Neal slipped his belt off and used it to tie the guy’s hands together. “The little bastard was telling the truth.”

Neal looked up at Ted as he sat on the guy’s back.

“Would you go have the girls call the cops already? Looks like little Sam is a hero. Tell the girls to stay down that end of the house and keep Sam with them.”

It seemed no time at all till the cops arrived. The bandit had been hitting a number of houses in the area. He had a tendency to rob people while they were home and usually hit the bedrooms in the back of the houses. He hadn’t seen Sam when he decided to pry open his window and hadn’t expected to be attacked by a little boy with a bat.

The following morning the paper’s read “Little Boy Bats Bogey Man.”

Edited by comicfan
  • Site Administrator

Snickers, you turned your Ted into a jerk and mine was the good guy :P Name stealer! I liked that, it was really cute and a great story. Really creative. You might want to do a quick re-read you had a couple of missing words around the conversation when they're discussing whether or not Sam could be telling the truth in the living room.

• 6 months later...