Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation (the one after 99): Death & Taxes

Author’s Note: Due to substantial portions of this story occurring in Australia, many adaptations have had to be made, including use of the inverted Australian seasonal calendar, the reversed rotation of storms, etc. Therefore, as an accommodation to Australians’ firm and unflappable dedication to upsidedownedness in all things, Circumnavigation will adopt, in addition to the ongoing usage of some Australian language, Australian Maths for the chapter numbering. We will signify this via the AUD symbol, as we do for Australian Dollars. Therefore, we have now reached (with the prior chapter) chapter 66 (99, upside down) and will resume the chapter count at that point. So, without further ado, I now present Circumnavigation Chapter (Australian maths) AUD67. (Or, for our Australian readers: L9pnɐ(sɥʇɐɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ) ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ uoıʇɐƃıʌɐuɯnɔɹıɔ)

Let it never be said that I did not keep my promise to conclude this story before reaching chapter 100. I would also like to thank Australia’s dedicated commitment to being upside down, which has allowed me to evade admitting that I am a long-winded blabbermouth who cannot count. Posted Image

Circumnavigation (Australian Maths) AUD67 Death & Taxes

• Like 1

Mr James, you are to quote another, " mad, bad and dangerous to know"! I have never read such extraordinary poppycock as that para above.... Just because you live in a hemisphere that decided for reasons known only to itself to define "up" is no reason to torture those of us with the accurate version..

as far as the latest chapter of Circum... - it did take two readings to fully comprehend. And I still worry about.. well, so much that you have left us worrying about....

(I choose to completely ignore CJ's convoluted adjustment to the chapter numbering.)

After the shocks of Chapter 99, this chapter is an orgy of explanations of various parts of the story. Well written and very complex.

Henry Wesson talking to Mike Gonzalez after the attorney general meeting:

As for what Frank did with the State Attorney, he blindsided me too. I had no idea he’d pull that, but I should have guessed; that’s his way. He’ll do anything to win. He’s both my boss and my friend, but he’s a manipulative asshole a lot of the time – which he freely admits.” I dearly like CJ but this comment could apply to him for all the cliffs from which he’s hung us, the readers, all too often.

In a later conversation with Henry Wasson, Mike Gonzales says,

“On the flip side, Trevor was asking me about what it would take to become emancipated, so maybe he lied, thinking a claim of a homophobic parent would help. But… that makes no sense, if he knew his father was in a gay relationship, as it’d be too easy for his father to show the claim was bunk. Damn, this case is giving me a migraine.” That statement could apply to this novel of over one-hundred chapters. But the reading has been engaging and satisfying recently.

And the best punishment I think I’ve ever heard meted out to a teenager:

“Joel blinked, still not believing what he’d heard on the phone. “I’m grounded, so I’m going to Australia sooner?” he mumbled.”

Thanks for chapter 100, CJ.

Author’s Note: Due to substantial portions of this story occurring in Australia, many adaptations have had to be made, including use of the inverted Australian seasonal calendar, the reversed rotation of storms, etc. Therefore, as an accommodation to Australians’ firm and unflappable dedication to upsidedownedness in all things, Circumnavigation will adopt, in addition to the ongoing usage of some Australian language, Australian Maths for the chapter numbering. We will signify this via the AUD symbol, as we do for Australian Dollars. Therefore, we have now reached (with the prior chapter) chapter 66 (99, upside down) and will resume the chapter count at that point. So, without further ado, I now present Circumnavigation Chapter (Australian maths) AUD67. (Or, for our Australian readers: L9pnɐ(sɥʇɐɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ) ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ uoıʇɐƃıʌɐuɯnɔɹıɔ)

Let it never be said that I did not keep my promise to conclude this story before reaching chapter 100. I would also like to thank Australia’s dedicated commitment to being upside down, which has allowed me to evade admitting that I am a long-winded blabbermouth who cannot count. Posted Image

Circumnavigation (Australian Maths) AUD67 Death & Taxes

... and if you run out of Australian numbers you can always switch to "imaginary numbers" :)

I hope we soon get back to some action, the explanations are nice, but overly complex for my taste, and frankly, I don't have a lot of sympathy for Rachel or Dirk or Jim at this point - they're all just ducking the law. Bunch of low rent cheaters, really.

It's kind of like the last episode of Seinfeld, when you find out that really, these characters don't have a lot of redeeming qualities and are just not very good people to begin with.

CJ, my hat is off to you for creating such well formed mediocrity in your characters uh, moral character :P

I say set em all adrift on Atlantis without all the renovations, while Trev and Shane go off into the sunset to have babies with Joel and Lisa.

Mr James, you are to quote another, " mad, bad and dangerous to know"! I have never read such extraordinary poppycock as that para above.... Just because you live in a hemisphere that decided for reasons known only to itself to define "up" is no reason to torture those of us with the accurate version..

as far as the latest chapter of Circum... - it did take two readings to fully comprehend. And I still worry about.. well, so much that you have left us worrying about....

Ahh, but all I'm really saying there is that the definition of "up" varies from the northern hemisphere to the southern hemisphere, so therefor, one is inverted relative to the other. Posted Image

And, am I not doing Australia a favor by publicizing the existence of Australian math? Posted Image

(I choose to completely ignore CJ's convoluted adjustment to the chapter numbering.)

After the shocks of Chapter 99, this chapter is an orgy of explanations of various parts of the story. Well written and very complex.

Henry Wesson talking to Mike Gonzalez after the attorney general meeting:

As for what Frank did with the State Attorney, he blindsided me too. I had no idea he’d pull that, but I should have guessed; that’s his way. He’ll do anything to win. He’s both my boss and my friend, but he’s a manipulative asshole a lot of the time – which he freely admits.” I dearly like CJ but this comment could apply to him for all the cliffs from which he’s hung us, the readers, all too often.

In a later conversation with Henry Wasson, Mike Gonzales says,

“On the flip side, Trevor was asking me about what it would take to become emancipated, so maybe he lied, thinking a claim of a homophobic parent would help. But… that makes no sense, if he knew his father was in a gay relationship, as it’d be too easy for his father to show the claim was bunk. Damn, this case is giving me a migraine.” That statement could apply to this novel of over one-hundred chapters. But the reading has been engaging and satisfying recently.

And the best punishment I think I’ve ever heard meted out to a teenager:

“Joel blinked, still not believing what he’d heard on the phone. “I’m grounded, so I’m going to Australia sooner?” he mumbled.”

Thanks for chapter 100, CJ.

Left hanging? But but but... there are no cliffhangers in Circumnavigation!! Posted Image

And LoL, yeah, Joel sure was shocked by that particular "punishment". :)

... and if you run out of Australian numbers you can always switch to "imaginary numbers" Posted Image

Nah, I'll stick to Australian math... gotta keep it real. Posted Image

Posted Image .............. But everyone knows that goats can't count!!

Very true! I have often said that goats cannot count, and that's one thing I've yet to be argued with about. :)

I hope we soon get back to some action, the explanations are nice, but overly complex for my taste, and frankly, I don't have a lot of sympathy for Rachel or Dirk or Jim at this point - they're all just ducking the law. Bunch of low rent cheaters, really.

It's kind of like the last episode of Seinfeld, when you find out that really, these characters don't have a lot of redeeming qualities and are just not very good people to begin with.

CJ, my hat is off to you for creating such well formed mediocrity in your characters uh, moral character Posted Image

I say set em all adrift on Atlantis without all the renovations, while Trev and Shane go off into the sunset to have babies with Joel and Lisa.

I never saw the last (or any other, save for a few miniutes here and there) Sienfeld episode, so I can't comment there, but I did looked it up just now, so here's Wikipedia's page. Umm, they were prosecuted for failing a duty to rescue? There isn't one under US law outside of special circumstances, so they can't be. And a requirement for bystanders to aid the victim during an armed carjacking?

But... the design of the characters in Circumnavigation to be, shall we say, morally mixed to varying degrees, was intentional, and has many reasons, some of which we've not yet seen. :)

• Site Administrator

Well, knowing that we have reached the half way point of the story...........................:P

Thanks CJ for the chapter :)

The one thing that keeps coming to mind is that if Joel and Lisa suddenly disappear on Tuesday instead of Thursday, won't George be left with a kilo of cocaine in Bridget's house :unsure:

The other possibility for Joel's and Lisa's protection, wouldn't be better if Gonzales took a quick trip over to Australia to meet and confirm that Rachel is alive and well? That would also give him a chance for a face to face interview with Trevor and he could also see Trevor's expression when he finds out his Dad is gay/bi. I just wonder if the State Attorney could afford his lead investigator to take off on that short of notice. Probably would throw George and Bridget for a loop if they did know that he went off, they might feel less under the watch of others. Lastly, how anxious would our friendly neighbourhood assassin be to carry out the contract with law enforcement on board the boat?

In order to counter your claim of not having any cliffhangers in Circumnavigation (and the saving of time and effort to list all 100 chapters), the burden of proof falls upon you to provide evidence of a chapter that does not contain at least one cliffhanger in the 100+ postings of the story.

In order to counter your claim of not having any cliffhangers in Circumnavigation (and the saving of time and effort to list all 100 chapters), the burden of proof falls upon you to provide evidence of a chapter that does not contain at least one cliffhanger in the 100+ postings of the story.

Unfortunately, proving a negative is notoriously difficult, as I'm sure our cunning, manipulative, deceitful, scheming, malevolent quadruped will gleefully point out.

Lovin it more each day. I like Wildone's idea of George left holding the bag so to speak. And agree that Gonzales should want to go to Australia just to see Rachel face to face. I figure it should not take him, Henry or Frank much (if they are as smart as they are supposed to be) to figure that the issue between Trevor and Dirk now appears to be just a misunderstanding on the issues of being gay. I am hoping that someone will tweek to the security salesman/killer and start looking for him. We are at a stage now where I hope we dont have a week delay because now so many things are coming together, not having a weekly update would just kill me.

In response to a review on this chapter, CJ wrote:

"There's more to learn about Bridget's operations... Trevor faces a very formidable foe, one he's not yet aware of."

I suspect the above could mean anything, but if in addition to B'stoke out to kill him, his own emotional upheavals to include panic attacks and symptoms of PTSD, there is another foe facing Trevor, that may be the last straw....

Our poor hero has already faced in his short life more trials and tribulations than most do in their four score and ten. How many attempts on his life that come very close to succeeding can one endure without going insane? What he has endured is almost like being in prolonged combat with all that stress and strain.

• Site Moderator

Trevor faces a very formidable foe, one he's not yet aware of.

I think what he's trying to say here is, WE know that Basingstoke is after Trevor and at this point in the story, Trevor does not know.

Our poor hero has already faced in his short life more trials and tribulations than most do in their four score and ten.  How many attempts on his life that come very close to succeeding can one endure without going insane?   What he has endured is almost like being in prolonged combat with all that stress and strain.

And The Goat claims that he never inflicts cruel and unusual punishment on his innocent characters >:-(

I think what he's trying to say here is, WE know that Basingstoke is after Trevor and at this point in the story, Trevor does not know.

Posted Image ............... I agree, Mr. B is the most dangerous of characters as he is a professional assassin. I'm pretty sure though that he will meet his demise, a very surprised Mr. B will encounter something just as deadly.

Well, knowing that we have reached the half way point of the story...........................Posted Image

Thanks CJ for the chapter Posted Image

The one thing that keeps coming to mind is that if Joel and Lisa suddenly disappear on Tuesday instead of Thursday, won't George be left with a kilo of cocaine in Bridget's house Posted Image

The other possibility for Joel's and Lisa's protection, wouldn't be better if Gonzales took a quick trip over to Australia to meet and confirm that Rachel is alive and well? That would also give him a chance for a face to face interview with Trevor and he could also see Trevor's expression when he finds out his Dad is gay/bi. I just wonder if the State Attorney could afford his lead investigator to take off on that short of notice. Probably would throw George and Bridget for a loop if they did know that he went off, they might feel less under the watch of others. Lastly, how anxious would our friendly neighbourhood assassin be to carry out the contract with law enforcement on board the boat?

Wildone!!

It is philosophically almost impossible to prove a negative, so the best I can do is point out that there are no cliffhangers in Circumnavigation!

Can you point to even one chapter that has a cliffhanger?

Unfortunately, proving a negative is notoriously difficult, as I'm sure our cunning, manipulative, deceitful, scheming, malevolent quadruped will gleefully point out.

Who? Me? Posted Image

In response to a review on this chapter, CJ wrote:

"There's more to learn about Bridget's operations... Trevor faces a very formidable foe, one he's not yet aware of."

I suspect the above could mean anything, but if in addition to B'stoke out to kill him, his own emotional upheavals to include panic attacks and symptoms of PTSD, there is another foe facing Trevor, that may be the last straw....

Our poor hero has already faced in his short life more trials and tribulations than most do in their four score and ten. How many attempts on his life that come very close to succeeding can one endure without going insane? What he has endured is almost like being in prolonged combat with all that stress and strain.

He's had some nasty shocks... two attempts on his life, and then to top it off his long-dead mother stopping by for a surprise visit.

How much more can he endure? That's a very good question. :)

Lovin it more each day. I like Wildone's idea of George left holding the bag so to speak. And agree that Gonzales should want to go to Australia just to see Rachel face to face. I figure it should not take him, Henry or Frank much (if they are as smart as they are supposed to be) to figure that the issue between Trevor and Dirk now appears to be just a misunderstanding on the issues of being gay. I am hoping that someone will tweek to the security salesman/killer and start looking for him. We are at a stage now where I hope we dont have a week delay because now so many things are coming together, not having a weekly update would just kill me.

I am very hopeful that we can avoid any further skipped weeks in this story. :)

True, that's one way to read it. :) Trevor does not know about Basingstoke, so Trevor isn't worried about him. :)

And The Goat claims that he never inflicts cruel and unusual punishment on his innocent characters >:-(

Absolutly true!!! I never do... if you look back at any of the bad things that have happened to Trevor, none of them have been me. The bomb on Atlanits was done by Bridget and George, not me. Same with the pirates.

Posted Image ............... I agree, Mr. B is the most dangerous of characters as he is a professional assassin. I'm pretty sure though that he will meet his demise, a very surprised Mr. B will encounter something just as deadly.

Basingstoke is indeed the most dangerous character that we know of. :)

I forgot to announce the title of the next chapter! It's "So Be It".

The chapter number will be, per Australian Maths, AUD68. Posted Image

Posted Image ................ Interesting title, certainly has me guessing!

Edited by Benji

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..