Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Chapter 7 is up and Wade's more analytical, cool, calm, businesslike side is asserting itself.

He had a bit of an epiphany as he talked to Brad:

“We do. But when he starts bailing on me to go spend time with this guy, that changes things.” I said that to him, yet I’d never really thought about that much myself. Was this an ego thing on my part? “I see a threat, I told him about it, and he basically blew me off.”

That realization, coupled with the betrayal of trust may have forever changed their dynamic. While they have a lot of intense and very personal history between them, and Matt is apparently completely distraught, he may not be wise (mature, experienced, level-headed) enough to figure out how to fix things with Wade. At least not anytime soon.

• Like 1

Chapter 7 is up and Wade's more analytical, cool, calm, businesslike side is asserting itself.

He had a bit of an epiphany as he talked to Brad:

“We do. But when he starts bailing on me to go spend time with this guy, that changes things.” I said that to him, yet I’d never really thought about that much myself. Was this an ego thing on my part? “I see a threat, I told him about it, and he basically blew me off.”

That realization, coupled with the betrayal of trust may have forever changed their dynamic. While they have a lot of intense and very personal history between them, and Matt is apparently completely distraught, he may not be wise (mature, experienced, level-headed) enough to figure out how to fix things with Wade. At least not anytime soon.

You picked up on something that's really been true of Wade since the beginning: he tends to lose his calm, analytical self when dealing with Matt. Matt blows all of his controls out of the water.

Wade's bit about not wanting to look like a college boy made me think of myself. Sometimes I try to dress up in a grown-up outfit, like a pair of chinos and a button-down shirt with the hopes that I'll look like I'm at least in my early 30's, only to get told I still look 22. I'm thinking about dying the rest of my hair grey in hopes that I can look about 35. I hate looking so young- it's annoying to get carded all the time. One time I even got carded to see an R-rated movie! I heard that you can create realistic wrinkles using latex makeup- I'm curious to try it. I would love to look at least in my mid-30's, with greyer hair and crow's feet.

With posts like this one, people are really going to start hating you.

With posts like this one, people are really going to start hating you.

Yeah. I usually get told I'm crazy whenever I bitch about my youthful looks. Although the stresses of grad school have aged me up- I no longer get told I still look like a teenager; now it's up to about 22. I think I want to look about 35- it's a youthful age, but with some mileage on it.

I think because I've been hanging around older people in their 30's, I feel more self-conscious about looking young. I get that a lot of people probably are the opposite and want to look younger, but I'm definitely looking forward to the time when I don't get carded. It was okay when I actually WAS in my early 20's, but now that I'm within shouting distance of my 30's, it's just not cool to get carded to see an R-rated movie.

Back to the story...I can't see Wade and Matt going back to their old dynamic, either. I also can't see them becoming the domestic unit that Wade wants, either. So it's going to have to be somewhere in the middle, I think.

• Like 1

Yeah. I usually get told I'm crazy whenever I bitch about my youthful looks. Although the stresses of grad school have aged me up- I no longer get told I still look like a teenager; now it's up to about 22. I think I want to look about 35- it's a youthful age, but with some mileage on it.

I think because I've been hanging around older people in their 30's, I feel more self-conscious about looking young. I get that a lot of people probably are the opposite and want to look younger, but I'm definitely looking forward to the time when I don't get carded. It was okay when I actually WAS in my early 20's, but now that I'm within shouting distance of my 30's, it's just not cool to get carded to see an R-rated movie.

Back to the story...I can't see Wade and Matt going back to their old dynamic, either. I also can't see them becoming the domestic unit that Wade wants, either. So it's going to have to be somewhere in the middle, I think.

Who says Wade wants them to be a domestic unit? I'm not sure he's there, either.

I was going on the fact that Wade's talking about houses and such instead of lofts and condos, which is usually the first step in domestication. Normally I'd think it was dumb for Wade to already be talking about getting a house since he doesn't even know where he's going to law school, but lord knows the guy can afford multiple houses- a house around Stanford whenever he visits the Crampton clan, and of course a nice handsome townhome in Georgetown or whatever that's close to his law school.

Edited by methodwriter85

I was going on the fact that Wade's talking about houses and such instead of lofts and condos, which is usually the first step in domestication. Normally I'd think it was dumb for Wade to already be talking about getting a house since he doesn't even know where he's going to law school, but lord knows the guy can afford multiple houses- a house around Stanford whenever he visits the Crampton clan, and of course a nice handsome townhome in Georgetown or whatever that's close to his law school.

Horses are the first step in domestication?Posted Image What is this, 1750?Posted Image

Horses are the first step in domestication?Posted Image What is this, 1750?Posted Image

Well, a house suggests that someone's planning on putting down roots, rather than condos or apartments, which suggest more of a transient experience. It would suggest he's trying to start a family.

Wasn't that basically the point of Brad being given the Malibu house by Stefan in Man In Motion? Brad was going to create a home for Darius and his unborn son, and the house signaled the start of Brad creating a new family?

Well Damn, I leave town for a week and am out of touch and there is just a total frenzy of story postings...

I have just read the latest two chapters of Paternity and more importantly the latest one of St Vincent, but will discuss that one in the other forum topic.

I think that Wade is starting to realize that Matt is his kryptonite, Matt is the one thing that seemingly can drive all reason from Wade's mind and behaviour. I really do believe that Wade loves Matt and will always do so no matter what; even Matt's betrayal of his trust isn't enough to shatter that bond. That being said, I do think that the dynamic between the two has been altered by this in a manner that will either in the end cement them together for all times or make it impossible for them to be more than two men in love with each other with benefits but never really together. Did that make sense??? I believe they will always love each other but as anyone of a certain age can tell you, love isn't always enough to make it work.

Wade's maturity level, and no it isn't just because he is a new father, is a primary reason for the widening gap between the two of them. Matt's almost frantic need to stay a child or kid or whatever seem's to be driven by a deep seated fear that I can't really seem to explain. I can see the fear in Matt, in his behaviour and actions but can't decide what is driving it. I do hope that the two of them end up together, I think in a way they are their generations JP and Stef, although not sure they need to spend that much time working their way back to each other...

I really like how Wade and Brad interact, it seems that each generation has someone in the preceeding or following one that they are drawn to. I think that Brad is going to have to take charge and really do whatever is necessary to help Jeanine get over this case of severe post partum depression. I can promise you, no one will like how Elizabeth 'the Dark Overlord' Danfield will handle the situation.

I find it amusing that for all of his maturity; Wade can fail to see how utterly charming he is just being what he is naturally. How he views himself while trying to get ready for the party is just great. I have to wonder if we haven't been introduced to someone really important to the family beyond this story with the introduction of Ben Solomon??? I have always sort of thought that Wade and Matt might be the first in the family to really flourish in a true polyamorous relationship with a slightly older, slightly more alpha male.... Wade would of course keep Tiffany and Riley close, but no matter his teasing, I can't see Wade ever forming a deep sexual bond with a female.

Okay, two last thoughts and then on to St Vincent...

One, getting a condo, loft, or house is not a sign of settling down; for many it is nothing more than a convenient place to seek shelter and to provide a comfortable place to stay and play. Now sitting up a home is a completely different matter, but haven't seen a sign that Wade is really in the process of actually doing that...

JP is this story... Even when he isn't in one of the stories, he is lurking just beneath the surface waiting to give everything his final touch. I have never been completely sure that every story since the first one isn't just a fertile figment of JP's mind as he lays in a coma from that accident. I know that there are those that disagree with me, but they are wrong, JP's death will clearly signal the end of this series.....

• Like 3

I really like how Wade and Brad interact, it seems that each generation has someone in the preceeding or following one that they are drawn to. I think that Brad is going to have to take charge and really do whatever is necessary to help Jeanine get over this case of severe post partum depression.

I just wonder how this is going to affect JJ, because barring Matt, he really doesn't have a close male figure in his life. Jeanine was his main parent, and with her off into cuckoo land, he's basically alone. Each kid going off to be closest to one of the parents worked while they were children, but we're also seeing the consequences- Will doesn't answer to Jeanine because Brad was his main parent, and JJ isn't really close enough to either Robbie or Brad to confide in now that Jeanine is out of commission. Which could be really interesting, if/when we get to a JJ-centered story, because with teenage Brad we got all the parental scenes with JP, and with Will we've gotten all the parental scenes with Brad. That kind of a father/son bond doesn't really exist with JJ and either Robbie and Brad- I don't think they completely ignored him, as evidenced by the one scene in Millenium, but they're not really close, either. The kind of fatherly scenes you saw between Will and Brad in PMS would feel fake if Mark tried to do those same kind of scenes with JJ and Brad, at least as things stand right now. Those kind of scenes would have to be done with Jeanine, and I'm not sure about the longevity of that character.

One, getting a condo, loft, or house is not a sign of settling down; for many it is nothing more than a convenient place to seek shelter and to provide a comfortable place to stay and play. Now sitting up a home is a completely different matter, but haven't seen a sign that Wade is really in the process of actually doing that...

Cent, I do fully admit that my own viewpoint on this subject is shaded by the fact that a lot of my cohorts are starting to settle down, get houses, getting into careers, and setting up families. The thought of doing any of that within the next five years of my life dumbfounds me, so I'm of course projecting my own fears and anxieties about the onset of adulthood onto how I view the characters. Plus, the prevailing wisdom is that you're not supposed to buy a house unless you plan on living there for at least 5 years, hence why I would view buying a house as settling down.

The other thing is, since gay marriage is only legal in a few places, I've run across gays who think that living together in a house basically equals marriage, so that viewpoint kind of rubbed off on me. Of course, I'm willing to concede that it may not be an altogether accurate viewpoint, but there you go.

• Like 2

Well Damn, I leave town for a week and am out of touch and there is just a total frenzy of story postings...

I have just read the latest two chapters of Paternity and more importantly the latest one of St Vincent, but will discuss that one in the other forum topic.

I think that Wade is starting to realize that Matt is his kryptonite, Matt is the one thing that seemingly can drive all reason from Wade's mind and behaviour. I really do believe that Wade loves Matt and will always do so no matter what; even Matt's betrayal of his trust isn't enough to shatter that bond. That being said, I do think that the dynamic between the two has been altered by this in a manner that will either in the end cement them together for all times or make it impossible for them to be more than two men in love with each other with benefits but never really together. Did that make sense??? I believe they will always love each other but as anyone of a certain age can tell you, love isn't always enough to make it work.

Wade's maturity level, and no it isn't just because he is a new father, is a primary reason for the widening gap between the two of them. Matt's almost frantic need to stay a child or kid or whatever seem's to be driven by a deep seated fear that I can't really seem to explain. I can see the fear in Matt, in his behaviour and actions but can't decide what is driving it. I do hope that the two of them end up together, I think in a way they are their generations JP and Stef, although not sure they need to spend that much time working their way back to each other...

I really like how Wade and Brad interact, it seems that each generation has someone in the preceeding or following one that they are drawn to. I think that Brad is going to have to take charge and really do whatever is necessary to help Jeanine get over this case of severe post partum depression. I can promise you, no one will like how Elizabeth 'the Dark Overlord' Danfield will handle the situation.

I find it amusing that for all of his maturity; Wade can fail to see how utterly charming he is just being what he is naturally. How he views himself while trying to get ready for the party is just great. I have to wonder if we haven't been introduced to someone really important to the family beyond this story with the introduction of Ben Solomon??? I have always sort of thought that Wade and Matt might be the first in the family to really flourish in a true polyamorous relationship with a slightly older, slightly more alpha male.... Wade would of course keep Tiffany and Riley close, but no matter his teasing, I can't see Wade ever forming a deep sexual bond with a female.

Okay, two last thoughts and then on to St Vincent...

JP is this story... Even when he isn't in one of the stories, he is lurking just beneath the surface waiting to give everything his final touch. I have never been completely sure that every story since the first one isn't just a fertile figment of JP's mind as he lays in a coma from that accident. I know that there are those that disagree with me, but they are wrong, JP's death will clearly signal the end of this series.....

I am so glad there are people who think like me about this saga.

Even though Matt and Wade come from the same social class, they are very different. Matt is a party boy who likes attention. Wage in most cases wants to avoid attention. Wade mostly controls his temper.Well we know about Matt. Matt lets things happen. Wade plans things out in detail. Many times these relationships work. Opposites attract. I think Matt is now starting to understand what he might lose.

This for JP. You are 100 percent correct! All those characters, are here because of what JP started. What if He wouldn't have take Andre to Paris all those years ago. No Isidore and Ace, later no Claire and Billy. No family for Brad to come too. No safe haven for Brad no meeting on the common with Robbie. No safe haven for Darius and JJ and no Will. No Jeanine , no Tiffany, no Riley or Maddy. Remove JP and the whole sage unravels. Now I must say JP had help along the way. Mainly Jeff, the guy who died in 1968 but still is around. Jeff told JP he needed to help Isidore and Ace. Jeff helped JP settle in California. Without Stanford , maybe no Wade, and Matt and Brian. Good comes with the bad.

i want to thanks Mark again for a story which is so rich and interesting that we wait for each chapter as druggies wait for their fix. We can only marvel at the web Mr Arbour weaves.

One last thing, Some time ago, I ask what CAP character was most like George Granger? I believe it is Wade because both have a sense of honor and duty. Both care more about others than their selves. Both don't understand how handsome they are. I believe as this story continues we will see it more and more.

• Like 3

One last thing, Some time ago, I ask what CAP character was most like George Granger? I believe it is Wade because both have a sense of honor and duty. Both care more about others than their selves. Both don't understand how handsome they are. I believe as this story continues we will see it more and more.

I have always been one that viewed Granger and JP as kindred spirits; I think at least in part because each is in my eyes the focal point of their individual series. That being said, I can see the parallels between Granger and Wade. Wade is in many ways a more truly social representation of JP. JP has always had an immaculate social facade that most never were intuitive enough to see through or around. With Wade, he truly is social in a way that JP never managed but with a few rare individuals. While I continue to see many links between JP and Granger, I can agree that in some ways Granger and Wade are more true to each other than any other represenatives in the stories. I think in some aspect the fact that they both consistently underestimate their value and impact on others; is one of the primary personality facets that they both share.

• Like 3

With Wade, he truly is social in a way that JP never managed but with a few rare individuals.

It's interesting to see how the current generation shares some traits with people of the previous ones. Wade has some JP traits. Matt feels like what a butch version of Stefan would be like. Darius feels very much like Ace, but without the temper problem. Will has some obvious Brad traits, but he's more laidback and not as power-hungry as Brad is. The only legacy character that doesn't really feel like anything we've experienced before would be JJ- Mark's never really covered an il divo before. And having a family member who's in an environment where he's expected to look pristine at all times should cause some interesting tension as well. Gathan also isn't that much like what we've covered before, either.

Overall, Mark's given this current generation enough common traits with the previous ones that you can see how they're connected, but at the same time I don't feel like I'm reading a rip-off of Be Rad, which I was really scared about when Mark decided to put the reigns over to Will as a lead character.

• Like 3

Chapter 8 has a POV shift to Will and his developing friendship with Grafton which provides a little breathing space I surmise, before we get back to Wade and his ongoing dilemma with his mom and Jeanine and Tiffany. Never mind dealing with Matt.

• Like 1

Remember The Titans. Man, talk about a total "jock boy" movie. I definitely remember having friends in high school and college who talked fondly of this movie. It wasn't quite "Field of Dreams", but most guys Will and JJ's age would definitely get the reference. Me? I remember it because I thought Kip Pardue aka Sunshine was sexy as hell, plus the kiss scene was hot. The biggest surprise was Ryan Gosling. Who would have thought that geeky country music-loving Ryan Gosling would have turned out to be the hot movie star? I remember my jaw dropping when I saw him in "Murder By Numbers"(2002) at how hot he'd become.

I picture Ryan's mother as like one of those "Real Housewives of Orange County" women- fried bleached blond hair, leathery tanned skin, fake boobs, bony frame, oversized LV sunglasses, and Juicy Couture sweatsuits.

It seems almost inevitable at this point that Will and Ryan are going to hook up, and then Ryan is going to freak out and not talk to Will again.

Edited by methodwriter85

Chapter 8 has a POV shift to Will and his developing friendship with Grafton which provides a little breathing space I surmise, before we get back to Wade and his ongoing dilemma with his mom and Jeanine and Tiffany. Never mind dealing with Matt.

Breathing space, yes, and it's important for the future of the story. Remember, I have a big float trip to write about. Posted Image

Remember The Titans. Man, talk about a total "jock boy" movie. I definitely remember having friends in high school and college who talked fondly of this movie. It wasn't quite "Field of Dreams", but most guys Will and JJ's age would definitely get the reference. Me? I remember it because I thought Kip Pardue aka Sunshine was sexy as hell, plus the kiss scene was hot. The biggest surprise was Ryan Gosling. Who would have thought that geeky country music-loving Ryan Gosling would have turned out to be the hot movie star? I remember my jaw dropping when I saw him in "Murder By Numbers"(2002) at how hot he'd become.

I picture Ryan's mother as like one of those "Real Housewives of Orange County" women- fried bleached blond hair, leathery tanned skin, fake boobs, bony frame, oversized LV sunglasses, and Juicy Couture sweatsuits.

It seems almost inevitable at this point that Will and Ryan are going to hook up, and then Ryan is going to freak out and not talk to Will again.

I'm with you on Ryan's mom, without the leathery skin. This isn't the east coast. *ducks*

Almost inevitable? Silly boy. Then it probably won't happen. Posted Image

Yet another East Coast knock. You know, for someone who sent two legacy characters to school on the East Coast, it seems a little weird coming from you. The East Coast does have its perks- and I'm totally seeing JJ falling in love with New York City. The minute he steps into Broadway/Times Square...dude will never want to leave. I see him skating around Rockefeller Plaza in a perfectly coordinated fur coat and hat circa 2007 before heading back to his penthouse that overlooks Central Park. But that's for the "Future of CAP" thread.

In any event, it would be funny if Ryan's mother was enough of a money whore that she actively encouraged Ryan to date Will. She could kill two birds with one stone- get her son an "in" with an obscenely wealthy family, and at the same time piss off her former husband.

Edited by methodwriter85

Posted Image I have lived on the east coast my entire life. I do not have leathery skin. In fact, I look at least seven years younger than I am. That's why God invented moisturizer and sun screen.

Eb5 is the absolute best.... It is weird how one coast seems to live in a tanning booth and the other seems to get skin peels to keep their skin nice and white or light...

Okay, on to this latest chapter... Am I the only one that caught a couple of refrences to what Grafton's dad would like that was said really sarcastically??? Is he going to turn out to be the dad from hell, like completely racist and homophobic? Is there a subplot developing here that is more than meets the eyes? A dad in need of money for a divorce or whatever and all the sudden his son is around a group of very wealthy gay men??? Could it be shades of the M Jackson civil suits? Well, maybe I am just being paranoid.

I think that after reading this chapter that much of Grafton's problems are parent induced, although being a teenager probably doesn't help... LOL... I think he was truly remorseful toward JJ and that JJ sensed that and accepted it at face value. Being pulled between two parents is never easy, we forget what damage we do to our young. Cody going after Grafton for a movie or TV or modeling gig would be a way to bring Cody into this story as more than just the father of one of the new babies. Plus, that might give Grafton leverage with or against both of his parents.

Grafton and Shiloh were obviously more than just a moment in time, did they go to far and have to take care of the consequences or could Grafton maybe not perform; curious minds want to know...

Mark, this is shaping up to be one of the better stories in this series and that is saying a hell of a lot...

I think that after reading this chapter that much of Grafton's problems are parent induced, although being a teenager probably doesn't help... LOL... I think he was truly remorseful toward JJ and that JJ sensed that and accepted it at face value.

Here's basically how I view JJ's character. He gets angry at someone and will freeze them out until he stops being angry. But if they apologize, he gets over it. I don't view him as someone that holds grudges. Diva bitchiness aside, there's still that cheerful and happy kid somewhere inside of him.

And I'm betting that aside from Alistair, JJ is pretty short of friends, and now that they're a few weeks in he's starting to realize that it wasn't the kids at Malibu being mean that made him so unpopular. *cough* Not that I came to a similar realization my freshmen year of high school.

Cody going after Grafton for a movie or TV or modeling gig would be a way to bring Cody into this story as more than just the father of one of the new babies. Plus, that might give Grafton leverage with or against both of his parents.

It's a good idea, but according to HW alumni, the school does not allow students to pursue acting professionally, and I'm assuming that would apply to modeling as well. They're apparently very strict about letting their students take time off for any reason, and missing school for modeling/acting work would fall under an "unexcused" absence. And since Grafton is a minor, Grafton wouldn't be able to sign things like modeling or acting contracts without the approval of his parents.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Posted Image I have lived on the east coast my entire life. I do not have leathery skin. In fact, I look at least seven years younger than I am. That's why God invented moisturizer and sun screen.

Last time I checked, you weren't a bleached blond, either. Posted Image

Okay, on to this latest chapter... Am I the only one that caught a couple of refrences to what Grafton's dad would like that was said really sarcastically??? Is he going to turn out to be the dad from hell, like completely racist and homophobic? Is there a subplot developing here that is more than meets the eyes? A dad in need of money for a divorce or whatever and all the sudden his son is around a group of very wealthy gay men??? Could it be shades of the M Jackson civil suits? Well, maybe I am just being paranoid.

I think that after reading this chapter that much of Grafton's problems are parent induced, although being a teenager probably doesn't help... LOL... I think he was truly remorseful toward JJ and that JJ sensed that and accepted it at face value. Being pulled between two parents is never easy, we forget what damage we do to our young. Cody going after Grafton for a movie or TV or modeling gig would be a way to bring Cody into this story as more than just the father of one of the new babies. Plus, that might give Grafton leverage with or against both of his parents.

Grafton and Shiloh were obviously more than just a moment in time, did they go to far and have to take care of the consequences or could Grafton maybe not perform; curious minds want to know...

Mark, this is shaping up to be one of the better stories in this series and that is saying a hell of a lot...

First of all, I'm glad you like this story. I'm having fun with it too.

Much of what you're talking about should come out later on down the line, so I won't comment about it too much, other than to say I hadn't planned any MJ type blackmail here.

It's a good idea, but according to HW alumni, the school does not allow students to pursue acting professionally, and I'm assuming that would apply to modeling as well. They're apparently very strict about letting their students take time off for any reason, and missing school for modeling/acting work would fall under an "unexcused" absence. And since Grafton is a minor, Grafton wouldn't be able to sign things like modeling or acting contracts without the approval of his parents.

Dude! It's called fiction. We're allowed to bend the rules.

Last time I checked, you weren't a bleached blond, either. Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Dude! It's called fiction. We're allowed to bend the rules.

He's going to do his enraged teakettle impression now, with "setting accuracy" being particularly high pitched.

I agree with Centex, Grafton seems more interesting the more we get to know him. Those I still want to hose Will down, telling him that Straightish boys are the last guys you want to try and seduce, because they WILL turn on you, I recognize a lot of that comes from memories of ME attempting to screw anyone that would hold still.

He's going to do his enraged teakettle impression now, with "setting accuracy" being particularly high pitched.

Nah, I don't have blow-ups like that anymore. The meds worked. Most of the time.

I agree with Centex, Grafton seems more interesting the more we get to know him. Those I still want to hose Will down, telling him that Straightish boys are the last guys you want to try and seduce, because they WILL turn on you, I recognize a lot of that comes from memories of ME attempting to screw anyone that would hold still.

I think the most embarrassing memory I have with this regard was the time freshmen year when I got really drunk and kept telling this guy how hot I thought he was. In front of other people we knew, including the resident director and our R.A. Yeah, dude never talked to me again.

I'm hoping it's more complicated than just "Ryan's a confused closetcase." As Cross-Currents taught me, it's a lot more interesting when the guy's sexuality isn't so clear-cut, rather than the whole "closeted gay jock comes out of the closet" deal. I'm hoping Ryan's straightish, or at the most, bisexual.

Edited by methodwriter85

Now for me it was the exact opposite in high school. I was a well known athlete and student leader. The straight-ish boys I had sex with, usually under cover of enough alcohol so we could both claim impaired judgment should the need arise, were positively amnesiac about the encounters we had. I am sure it is partly due to the fact that everyone assumed I was completely straight since I had a Darius-like reputation with the ladies and I had had a couple well known conquests (interesting stories in themselves). Any of the straight-ish boys that tried to "turn" on me would have risked their reputation more than mine. To this day, most of those guys are still good friends, even if I don't see them that often and no one has ever mentioned our encounters despite the fact everyone now knows I am on the gay side of bi.

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..