[Andrew_Q_Gordon] A Cold Rain by Quonus10

When I wrote this, it was supposed to be part of a very long Legends anthology entry. That one was getting way too long and still not nearing a conclusion so I scraped the idea of using it for Legends.

The story however has enormous appeal to me. The idea was the story begins with Telg - Fifth Order Dlgen - finding Harlin being beaten by the boys in his village as he is leaving after being cast out by his parents. As hinted, he adopts Harlin and that is where the 'real' story begins.

Stefren is a Prince of Gillium an ancient Kingdom, founded on the ruins of an even older civilization that vanished millennium ago. He arrives at Telg's school and delivers a request from the King of Gillium for Telg to come 'home'

The school is a training academy run by Telg to train warriors and ultimately to find and train Harlin for his role in the coming conflict. Of course Telg didn't know it would be Harlin when he founded the school. Fenzu is like Sensei - teacher, head of the school.

Harlin and Stefren have this dance - so to speak - around each other, until it culminates in the events in A Cold Rain.

A Dlgen is a special, gifted warrior, 'Touched by the Twins'. The Twins are the remaining Gods of the world and the Dlgen were created to help protect the world. They belong to no one kingdom, answering only to the Twins

Haskes are thin, cloth like armor. They feel like silk but are nearly impenetrable. Only someone touched by the Twins can wear one. The colors correspond to the Rank or proficiency of the Dlgen and change automatically over time as the Dlgen's rank, skill and powers evolve. Telg is the only Fifth order and one of only a few to ever achieve that rank. He is already a legend and he hasn't really begun to do what he is destine to do.

The basic plot is that long ago the people of this world achieved great power through magic, but they were divided between two factions, with one delving into dark arts that corrupted them. [so original I know] In the end, both sides killed themselves, leaving only a very few survivors to rebuild the world. The war consumed the Gods who chose sides, leaving only the Twins to guard the world.

A survivor of the side that 'won' the side of 'good' has always lived among the world, hidden yet among them. He/she was to guard against a return of the dark spirits. News comes that the a dark warlord has risen and the Dlgen believe it is a dark spirit trying to enter the world. Stefren has a major role to play in the defense of the world - which is why Telg needed Harlin to understand how important it was to guard him, with his life if necessary.

My idea is to divide this up in to 6 parts. Each called Dlgen of the "fill in the blank" Order; so Dlgen of the 1st, Dlgen of the 2nd, etc. The last part/book would be called Dlgen something, but I'm not certain how to name it yet. The course of the story will take Harlin and Stefren on a journey to realize what Stefren's role is in the coming war. Of course there would be events along the way are more than just these two, but it will all come from Harlin's first person POV.

Whew, there you go.

So if you haven't read A Cold Rain, please go do so and then let me know what you think. If you have read it, let me know if the above makes any kind of sense.

Andy

OK, Andy, finish Purpose and get to this. I want more! This may take the rest of the decade, however, as ambitious as it sounds. I'm game!

Nah. if given the time to concentrate, I could bang this out in a bout a year or so, but the quality might not be the best, so give me 3 years :P

• Like 1