Prompt #112 - Creative

The Haiku is a Japanese poetry form. In English we usually use a 5, 7, 5 syllable line. The Haiku usually focuses on some aspect of nature and ends with a surprise. With that in mind try writing at least one of your own. Here is one of mine as an example.

I hear the screaming

And run to find him pointing

At a spider. Squish.

Modern American Haiku's have taken the poetry form and converted it keeping the syllable line but now taking the idea and using it to tell long stories in a series of Haiku. Take this opportunity to write at least one of your own.

• Site Administrator

I waken to rain

pattering on my window,

long drive to nowhere.

Then scream . . . as you run off the road and slam into a storm whipped tree! LOL. Don't ask me why, I got this image of a sleepy person driving in a storm late at night and dozing off, then running off the road in the middle of the sticks. Great job!

• Site Administrator

Posted Image

Her path decided

Journey of preservation

She hides inside us

Gaze at crystal eyes

Travel the opaque surface

Hiding the soul safe

She waits without hope

So sad waiting for our love

To once again appear

It is lonely there

Left with the path incomplete

Surface etched in pain

Blight spreads through neglect

Barren she stays until then

Tears all she has left

I don't know if that is what Comic meant by a story, but that is what came to me. I don't do poetry for a reason, but I figured, it's a prompt and supposed to stretch my mental skills, right? It is so much easier to write a story than hint at it through poetical prose. Feel free to let me know what you think, because honestly I have no clue if readers will get it.

Posted Image

Her path decided

Journey of preservation

She hides inside us

Gaze at crystal eyes

Hiding the soul safe

She waits without hope

To once again appear

It is lonely there

Surface etched in pain

Tears all she has left

I don't know if that is what Comic meant by a story, but that is what came to me. I don't do poetry for a reason, but I figured, it's a prompt and supposed to stretch my mental skills, right? It is so much easier to write a story than hint at it through poetical prose. Feel free to let me know what you think, because honestly I have no clue if readers will get it.

I really like the structure of this: it seems like every two stanzas are related, but only through "twist-logic" to the following two stanzas, and the last one stands alone. It seems to magnify the effect of a shorter haiku, which definitely makes things easier. As for subject matter...

Didn't want to ruin other people's guesses, but it seems like a young woman with health complications navigating a serious relationship.

As far as story haiku though, I much prefer the Renga format (several sources online) than linked haiku; renga gives more wiggle room to finish ideas before the next one comes up.

Also thank you for the kind words. :-D

I waken to rain

pattering on my window,

long drive to nowhere.

a night of insomnia where the drive helps to relax you? Anyway I enjoyed the images.

Posted Image

Her path decided

Journey of preservation

She hides inside us

Gaze at crystal eyes

Hiding the soul safe

She waits without hope

To once again appear

It is lonely there

Surface etched in pain

Tears all she has left

Cia, that is the one nice thing about the prompts, you can take them however you wish. lol. As for your haiku it is open to interpretation. Personally I see it as someone abused who hides herself away while she recovers.

I liked this one also.

This is what I like about poetry, you can tell a whole story with only few words. You can leave out all that is redundant, can come straight to the core and yet touch on the whole range of emotions.

Edited by Dolores Esteban
  • Like 1