The Paradox of Friendship

Over a month ago, I started posting my new story entitled "The Paradox of Friendship." I have a few chapters posted now and figured I should actually make a discussion forum for it.

Description of the story: Nix Willows is oblivious to everything, including the events of a party that occured two years prior. Riley and Dexter, two of his best friends, are not so oblivious. They are all too aware of the events of the party and have taken it upon themselves to bully Spencer Rawlins because of Spencer's involvement in the events of the party. Spencer also has scars from the party, but no one seems to care about him. That is until Nix intervenes on his behalf against Riley and Dexter. But they do not immediately become friends. Meanwhile, Spencer meets the mysterious Artie Dillon. It soon becomes obvious that not everything is how it seems. This is the lengthy story of how Nix and Spencer forged a friendship against all odds that later becomes a romantic relationship and how the scars from the party finally begin to heal.

Link to the story: http://www.gayauthor...doxoffriendship

The story is split into three sections, and each is progressively darker than the last. It is not a story that immediately jumps to a relationship between Spencer and Nix. Instead, it tells the entire journey to that point. Keep in mind, the rating is mature for a reason. There are touchy subjects; among them are rape and psychological manipulation.

Here you can discuss anything that is not addressed in a review or ask any question you may have regarding the story.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

"He’s really not good for me.” Okay, I was warming up to the story, but now this beats all. Do you think those stark raving mad psychos could start making any kind of sense in the near future? I have a hard time imaginig what could justify this kind of behavior an wether I will be able to muster any sympathy for the protagonists any more.

• Like 4

I must say I am a bit flabbergasted at the behavior of these individuals, and the lack of oversight provided by the school. I would say it is highly implausible but in today's world tasers are the least of students worries when they go to school. It is also quite sad that the nail is hit on the head in that students would watch around and cheer the assault of another instead of stepping up and protecting the weak. Love this story wish it would post faster.

• Like 1

"He’s really not good for me.” Okay, I was warming up to the story, but now this beats all. Do you think those stark raving mad psychos could start making any kind of sense in the near future? I have a hard time imaginig what could justify this kind of behavior an wether I will be able to muster any sympathy for the protagonists any more.

Nix was referring to his earlier conversation with Dexter and Parker. He was riding a high of emotions and was trying to sum up everything without actually saying anything specific. This chapter (12) was the last chapter of Part One, so I honestly view it as a mini-climax of the story. Everything was boiling up to a point, which it reached in this chapter. Everything is going to simmer down a bit and make more sense. I'm not going to waste my time justifying Nix's actions. The story is set in a warped sense of reality. In real life, sometimes even the best of people is going to stand aside while something horrible happens. No one can change the past. Nix had to make this mistake so he could learn from it in the future. I do hope that you give the story another shot, but if you do not, I understand. I picked the word 'Paradox' on purpose for the title of the story. Nothing is as it first seems. Honestly, since I've written the entire story, I can almost understand why Riley and Dexter treat Spencer the way they do and why Nix stands aside and lets everything happen this time.

I must say I am a bit flabbergasted at the behavior of these individuals, and the lack of oversight provided by the school. I would say it is highly implausible but in today's world tasers are the least of students worries when they go to school. It is also quite sad that the nail is hit on the head in that students would watch around and cheer the assault of another instead of stepping up and protecting the weak. Love this story wish it would post faster.

When I wrote this story, I never considered the presence of school personnel. Of course, there are teachers and other staff members nearby, but I never wanted any adults to step in. It was too easy. I wanted these teenagers to make their own mistakes and to deal with the situations they found themselves in on their own terms. I've mentioned it earlier, but I'll say it again: this is set in a warped reality. Sadly, though, sometimes these things (tasers, for example) do happen in real life--although, I honestly hope they do not to this extent. The students standing around cheering is horrible, but I find that it does happen in real life. I'm glad you like the story. I can only promise to update once a week, though.

Guest tazdevil998

I enjoy reading your works , as you are a gifted writer and definitely draw out emotions of your readers. I would only ask that it be ligthened a little becasue as i was reading I was ever tempted to break something. I used work with teenagers to help them deal with situations like this well not as severe. There must always a remain a shimmer of hope and as I read this and the other post and i get the feeling of hopelessness and desire. This story reminds me of a young man that came to our care , whom ultimately found a reason to move on to the next plane of exsistence. Even though these are fictional characters i feel liek i want to jump in there and give poor Spencer a hug while beating to livng stuffign out of everyone else. Lol i know this probably doesnt make sense but i got it of my chest. That said and reading eventually Nix and Spencer get together. Nix needs to still stand up and be hat Knight in armour. No one should ever feel unloved

Hi:

I want to elaborate a bit on my review - which was pretty short. I said in the review that I think the characters are unpleasant. What I mean by that is that I think they reflect what is almost a symbolic anger - I'm not sure you put it there intentionally. Was that deliberate on your part? Did you write this story in an angry mindset?

I think your writing is good. You definitely have me fully engaged in the plot, which is coming clearer as the story progresses. Your characterizations are very good, and your dialog is also excellent. So I'm not dissing your skills, I'm questioning if these characters are unpleasant because they reflect your frame of mind as you wrote the story, or if you're framing the characters to be angry to further the plot.

I completely understand that your characters are working in a distorted reality Posted Image

I also understand that there's an arc to the story and we're about 1/3 the way there. I'm willing to put up with characters that make me want to slap them silly.Its tricky to carry an arc through a long story. I'll be patient.

Keep writing and posting. It's a good story.

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD

I enjoy reading your works , as you are a gifted writer and definitely draw out emotions of your readers. I would only ask that it be ligthened a little becasue as i was reading I was ever tempted to break something. I used work with teenagers to help them deal with situations like this well not as severe. There must always a remain a shimmer of hope and as I read this and the other post and i get the feeling of hopelessness and desire. This story reminds me of a young man that came to our care , whom ultimately found a reason to move on to the next plane of exsistence. Even though these are fictional characters i feel liek i want to jump in there and give poor Spencer a hug while beating to livng stuffign out of everyone else. Lol i know this probably doesnt make sense but i got it of my chest. That said and reading eventually Nix and Spencer get together. Nix needs to still stand up and be hat Knight in armour. No one should ever feel unloved

I'm glad that you enjoy my work. Following Chapter 12, which is the final chapter of Part I, of The Paradox of Friendship, the content will be lightened a bit for a while. I had to make everything spiral as far down as possible so that everything could spiral back up. I always believe there is hope in any situation, which I tried to reflect in this story. It will take Nix a while to redeem himself. I agree with you, no one should ever feel unloved.

Hi:

I want to elaborate a bit on my review - which was pretty short. I said in the review that I think the characters are unpleasant. What I mean by that is that I think they reflect what is almost a symbolic anger - I'm not sure you put it there intentionally. Was that deliberate on your part? Did you write this story in an angry mindset?

I think your writing is good. You definitely have me fully engaged in the plot, which is coming clearer as the story progresses. Your characterizations are very good, and your dialog is also excellent. So I'm not dissing your skills, I'm questioning if these characters are unpleasant because they reflect your frame of mind as you wrote the story, or if you're framing the characters to be angry to further the plot.

I completely understand that your characters are working in a distorted reality Posted Image

I also understand that there's an arc to the story and we're about 1/3 the way there. I'm willing to put up with characters that make me want to slap them silly.Its tricky to carry an arc through a long story. I'll be patient.

Keep writing and posting. It's a good story.

I think i misread your review, and I apologize for that. I purposefully made the characters unlikeable to challenge readers. Sometimes in life, people make horrible choices. It doesn't define them, but it is a part of them. I wanted to write a story where the protagonist and the "good guys" weren't always good. I wanted the characters to have flaws--and major ones at that. Do I think Riley and Dexter are horrible people? No. Do I approve of every action they make? No. But they are essentially the "good guys". I wanted the reader to be compelled not only through admiration but also through hate.

I'm not sure that I put the symbolic anger into the story intentionally. I think it just worked its way in while I was concentrating on the storyline. With this being said, though, the unpleasantness of the characters does not reflect my frame of mind. The characters act the way they do and are portray as they are for the sake of plot development. In Part III, it will become obvious why Dexter and Riley are so violent and just what Spencer has done.

I am pleased that although you do not like the characters at times, you're willing to give the story a shot. Thank you.

This is an awesome story. However i was stunned by your comment that Dexter & Riley are & essentailly the good guys. I can't believe anything will ever convince me that this is true. Spencer is inherently good so i can't believe he did anything that could ever justify their incredibly relentless cruel behaviour. They seriously make me sick. This sort of relentless day in day out, bullying is the cause of teen suicide. It would push most people to consider it.

I think i hate them more than Porter who is just a sick bastard. I hate them more as clearly they aren't inherently evil like Porter. . Kendall, Parker & the rest of the students are morally disgusting as well watching this behaviour. Nix, i hate more than anyone. He is closest to knowing the real Spencer who even cares for people that harm him such as Riley. Nix is one of the greatest cowards i have ever come across. I accept he can't control Porter. However he could easily have intervened and with one word stopped the torture infliced on Spencer by his friends.. He allowed him to be punched, kicked, tied up, gagged & tazered. Than he thinks untying him and assisting with his shoes makes it right.. Nix is a flawed character who deserves to be detested. Any future action can't lessen his crime.

Edited by seanthomas
  • Like 1

This is an awesome story. However i was stunned by your comment that Dexter & Riley are & essentailly the good guys. I can't believe anything will ever convince me that this is true. Spencer is inherently good so i can't believe he did anything that could ever justify their incredibly relentless cruel behaviour. They seriously make me sick. This sort of relentless day in day out, bullying is the cause of teen suicide. It would push most people to consider it.

I think i hate them more than Porter who is just a sick bastard. I hate them more as clearly they aren't inherently evil like Porter. . Kendall, Parker & the rest of the students are morally disgusting as well watching this behaviour. Nix, i hate more than anyone. He is closest to knowing the real Spencer who even cares for people that harm him such as Riley. Nix is one of the greatest cowards i have ever come across. I accept he can't control Porter. However he could easily have intervened and with one word stopped the torture infliced on Spencer by his friends.. He allowed him to be punched, kicked, tied up, gagged & tazered. Than he thinks untying him and assisting with his shoes makes it right.. Nix is a flawed character who deserves to be detested. Any future action can't lessen his crime.

I'm glad you like the story. It's hard to associate Riley and Dexter with being the good guys, especially with the way they treat Spencer; however, I deem them as the "good" guys because of their overall characters. Sure, they have their awful moments, but that doesn't make them the all-around bad guys. Once it becomes obvious of why Riley and Dexter treat Spencer the way they do, it'll probably be easier to associate them with the good guys. Nix isn't very likeable at times, and he does act cowardly; I will not disagree with you there. He could have intervened, as Spencer pointed out to him later, but he did not. I also agree that any future action cannot lessen his crime in this instance, but he will have his redeemable moments.

Thank you for your response.. Spencer is such a fundamentally nice guy that it seems hard to imagine that he would intentionally harm anyone especially to cause such vitriolic & cruel bullying by Riley & Dexter. Riley & Dexter almost see it as their job to assault him daily. They do it with self amusement almost without any other emotion. They certainly don't seem to do it from revenge. Its like ok its your turn to start the beating.. It seems to lack revenge almost more like duty but duty they seem to enjoy as they cruelly bash him. So its seems to me that an unintentional action by Spencer has caused their abuse. Yet they even know he is a nice guy... Nix likes him, they saw him helping the children in hospital. Yet they systematically abuse him as they joke away. It really seems to callous to ever believe they have any moral conscience in them. I will judge them again when the reason is revealed. However i don't think i'll ever consider them good guys. Spencer would have to turn out to be a monster for me to change my opinion and I know that isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

Spencer is such a fundamentally nice guy that it seems hard to imagine that he would intentionally harm anyone especially to cause such vitriolic & cruel bullying by Riley & Dexter. Riley & Dexter almost see it as their job to assault him daily. They do it with self amusement almost without any other emotion. They certainly don't seem to do it from revenge. Its like ok its your turn to start the beating.. It seems to lack revenge almost more like duty but duty they seem to enjoy as they cruelly bash him. So its seems to me that an unintentional action by Spencer has caused their abuse.

Spencer is no doubt a nice guy, but unfortunately for him, he's a bit naive. Riley and Dexter have a very systematic approach to Spencer that has worked it's way towards being a 'duty' as you've put it.

So Riley & Dexter are systematicaly ,dutifully cruel to Spencer on a nearly daily basis and their abuse includes humiliation, stripping him, tying him up, gagging him, punching him, kicking him & allowing him to be tazered while gagged & tied up . At the same time you feel they are fundamentally good guys. I doubt that there could ever be a justifiable reason for such cruelty even if you were a serial murderer. Yet Spencer is younger, frailer,weaker, kind and sweet and worst of all they know it. I wonder what other readers think. Maybe they will eventually regret their actions and ask forgiveness as otherwise if i believed in hell ( which i don't) than that is where they deserve to go.

Nevertheless you are an amazing writer and i anxiously await the next chapter.

So Riley & Dexter are systematicaly ,dutifully cruel to Spencer on a nearly daily basis and their abuse includes humiliation, stripping him, tying him up, gagging him, punching him, kicking him & allowing him to be tazered while gagged & tied up . At the same time you feel they are fundamentally good guys. I doubt that there could ever be a justifiable reason for such cruelty even if you were a serial murderer. Yet Spencer is younger, frailer,weaker, kind and sweet and worst of all they know it. I wonder what other readers think. Maybe they will eventually regret their actions and ask forgiveness as otherwise if i believed in hell ( which i don't) than that is where they deserve to go.

Nevertheless you are an amazing writer and i anxiously await the next chapter.

Honestly, I find nothing to disagree with you about. I believe in redemption, though, and I have a feeling they might not always be as hated as they are now. It may take a while and many more cruel actions on their part, but they'll have their characteristic moments.

There are some truly fucked up characters in this story.

And, once again, I agree. But everything will start to make sense soon.

I just read the" Going Downhill " chapter for a second time. I find it hard to accept these are just human mistakes by Dexter and Riley. They are just basically evil. I doubt that redemption is even possible after their relentless cruelty. Their crime is so bad that short of giving their life to save Spencer's life than any other redemption would not fit their crime.

Nix continues to floor me. He continues to watch the punishment they hand out to Spencer. He refuses to intervene with his pathetic cowardice. He also is clearly not doing the one thing Spencer asked him to do.. just walk away.

Personally i hope he drowns in his tears as he continues to spiral downhill in his characteristic gutless fashion. I have absolutely no sympathy for Nix.

Edited by seanthomas

Another reason i dislike Nix is that not only is he gutless in standing up for Spencer when hie is assaulted. He didn't tell Riley how concerned Spencer was about him when he was in hospital. Spencer says at the time " no-one should have to deal with whatever Riley is dealing with". So here is Spencer being treated as bad as any human can be yet he shows compassion for his attacker. Nix doesn't even bother to pass this on to Riley. He just makes zero effort to help him. Oh i forgot he helps put his socks on after the most savage assault imaginable. Nix just sucks !!!!

I really should stop reading threads in the forums.

I activly dislike about 90% of the characters in your story, but because I've started to read it, I now have to finish it. It's hard for me to read this and not get angry, I just want to take a swing at Dexter & Porter, and tell Nix to just grow a pair !

On the plus side, I like the way you write, it's straightforward and moves the story along wonderfully. I'd just like to know about the events of the party, and what caused Kendall's problems, why is Riley sick, again anything to do with the party ?

Keep on, please ;)

I just read the" Going Downhill " chapter for a second time. I find it hard to accept these are just human mistakes by Dexter and Riley. They are just basically evil. I doubt that redemption is even possible after their relentless cruelty. Their crime is so bad that short of giving their life to save Spencer's life than any other redemption would not fit their crime.

Nix continues to floor me. He continues to watch the punishment they hand out to Spencer. He refuses to intervene with his pathetic cowardice. He also is clearly not doing the one thing Spencer asked him to do.. just walk away.

Personally i hope he drowns in his tears as he continues to spiral downhill in his characteristic gutless fashion. I have absolutely no sympathy for Nix.

I've never viewed Riley and Dexter as 'evil'. I think they're cruel at times. I think their actions are horrible and inexusable. With this being said, though, I do not think they are evil. They are just two boys reacting in the worst possible way to something that happened in their past.

Actually, Nix has not witnessed every second of any beating Spencer has had since he was tasered. Nix caught the first of it in passing and then walked away.The narration went onto describe the scene mentioned in "Going Downhill" in order to point out the fact that Spencer is still being bullied. It should be a little clearer in the next chapter.

Another reason i dislike Nix is that not only is he gutless in standing up for Spencer when hie is assaulted. He didn't tell Riley how concerned Spencer was about him when he was in hospital. Spencer says at the time " no-one should have to deal with whatever Riley is dealing with". So here is Spencer being treated as bad as any human can be yet he shows compassion for his attacker. Nix doesn't even bother to pass this on to Riley. He just makes zero effort to help him. Oh i forgot he helps put his socks on after the most savage assault imaginable. Nix just sucks !!!!

Nix never mentioned this to Riley because it never came up in a conversation. Yes, he could have brought it up, but Riley wouldn't have believed him. It's not that Nix is known for lying (because Nix is too oblivious for the most part to be able to lie efficiently), but Riley would assume NIx told him that because Nix and Spencer are almost forging a friendship. Besides, Spencer understands Riley in a way that Riley does not yet understand Spencer.

I really should stop reading threads in the forums.

I activly dislike about 90% of the characters in your story, but because I've started to read it, I now have to finish it. It's hard for me to read this and not get angry, I just want to take a swing at Dexter & Porter, and tell Nix to just grow a pair !

On the plus side, I like the way you write, it's straightforward and moves the story along wonderfully. I'd just like to know about the events of the party, and what caused Kendall's problems, why is Riley sick, again anything to do with the party ?

Keep on, please Posted Image

The characters aren't very well-liked. It's a dark story, and while writing it, I did not want to paint any character up as flawless. I wanted each of them to have their own faults and to make mistakes that were sometimes hard to overcome. I wanted to make them as human as humanly possible, while also exaggerating certain aspects of the characters. I want readers to be angry because that means readers are connecting to the characters--readers are putting themselves in the characters' shoes. But yes, Dexter (and Riley) and Porter need their lights knocked out at least once, and Nix needs to grow a pair. Maybe at least one of those two things will happen during the course of the story. Posted Image You'll eventually find out just what happened at the party, but I can tell you that you'll find out about Kendall's nightmares first. Also, I'm glad you like the story, and thank you for your feedback on my writing style.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I must say the story captured my attention, but I must say the lack of faculty supervision is unreal and I don't understand how one day they all are trying to be, at the very least, cordial to Spencer but then the next day they're beating him, nearly, to death?

Wow. I must say the story captured my attention, but I must say the lack of faculty supervision is unreal and I don't understand how one day they all are trying to be, at the very least, cordial to Spencer but then the next day they're beating him, nearly, to death?

I'm glad to know this story captured your attention. I am aware that the lack of faculty supervision is unreal, but I took a few liberties concerning that. If there was faculty supervision, a lot of important scenes would not have played out as they did. Of course, that could arguably be a good thing; however, the bullying scenes take place at school--there's only so much Riley and Dexter can do on school grounds. I'm not saying Riley and Dexter are sociopathic or out for Spencer's blood, because they're not. I just mean that it was important for these events to happen while at school (a common area) without any interruption.

I know it's a bit confusing. Riley and Dexter are friendly one minute and beating Spencer up the next. Through the progression of the story, things will start to stablize one way or the other. Why do they act like this now? Because of something that happened in the past, unbeknownst to the reader (and Nix). The big secret will come out, but it will take a while. Until then, the reader is kept as oblivious to Riley and Dexter's motives as Nix is.

I hope these aspects do not deter you from finishing the story (once I get it completely posted). Things will start to tie together pretty soon, and I think--having completed the story--that I've dotted all of my 'i's and crossed all of my 't's neatly; I'd like to know if you agree with me.

I notice in the reviews you again refer to Dexter & Riley as good guys. I'm sorry but it really bothers me when you make that comment. Their actions are so violent, premeditated and even sadistic that no matter what has happened in the past can justifty their actions. Their apparent pleasure with the violence suggests sadism. They really seem to enjoy their actions. I have no doubt they may become better people but to say they are good guys makes as much sense as to say a reformed Nazi is a good guy.

I also have to question your excuses for Parker, Kendall, Reese etc. Parker is as guilty as Dex & Riley. He doesn't need to hit Spencer to be guilty. Watching repetitive sickening behaviour without a word of" that's enough" condemns him to be guilty. Maybe Kendall has some excuse but even than how many times does Spencer have to be assaulted without her saying something.

Please don't take my opinion as an insult for you are my absolute favourite author on here.

I notice in the reviews you again refer to Dexter & Riley as good guys. I'm sorry but it really bothers me when you make that comment. Their actions are so violent, premeditated and even sadistic that no matter what has happened in the past can justifty their actions. Their apparent pleasure with the violence suggests sadism. They really seem to enjoy their actions. I have no doubt they may become better people but to say they are good guys makes as much sense as to say a reformed Nazi is a good guy.

I also have to question your excuses for Parker, Kendall, Reese etc. Parker is as guilty as Dex & Riley. He doesn't need to hit Spencer to be guilty. Watching repetitive sickening behaviour without a word of" that's enough" condemns him to be guilty. Maybe Kendall has some excuse but even than how many times does Spencer have to be assaulted without her saying something.

Please don't take my opinion as an insult for you are my absolute favourite author on here.

My view of the characters of Riley and Dexter is that they are the 'good guys'. That does not mean they're actions are always good. Overall, though, they're not awful people. They're two boys who aren't dealing with their past demons as well as they should. I wouldn't go as far as to say their actions are sadistic. Sure, maybe borderline, but not full-out sadistic. It was Porter Matthews who electrocuted Spencer, not Dexter or Riley. They shouldn't be held accountable for Porter's actions. They can be held accountable as accomplices but not for the actual act. The enjoyment they get from their actions has very little to do with pleasure. There is a specific scene in an uncoming chapter that should shed some light on Dexter and Riley. Just a warning though, the scene I'm speaking of will be a bit controversial.

You may disagree with me--actually you probably will disagree with me--but Riley and Dexter are nothing like the others. Parker, for one, is more concerned with Kendall. It was stated that Parker doesn't feel like a true member of the group because he's only friends with everyone else through Kendall. He doesn't feel it to be his place to question Riley and Dexter. Furthermore, Parker spends most of his time worrying about Kendall. He's a bit blindsighted by her. Kendall often tells Riley and Dexter to back off, but it'll become apparent just *why* she hasn't been doing so lately. Reese is an entirely different story. She doesn't approve of her brother or her boyfriend's actions, but she doesn't understand the situation. She's a bit like Nix in that aspect.

Yes, I think Riley and Dexter are cruel. Yes, I think someone should stand up for Spencer. Yes, I think Nix is cowardly. But all of these aspects are what drives the story. If Nix had taken up for Spencer the very first time Riley and Dexter bullied him, there would not be a story to tell. This story isn't just about Spencer getting a better life; it's about Nix's growth as a person and the misconceptions that surround each and every one of the characters in the story.

My perspective of the characters is from the overall story. I want to challenge people to see past mistakes and evil actions. Maybe I'm failing in that aspect or maybe I'm not. I don't know.

I know I've rambled a bit, but I do hope I've answered your questions.

Hi

Thanks so much for your reply. I want to again emphasise what a great story this is but i have to take exception to your comment that Riley & Dexter shouldn't be held accountable for Porter's actions in tazering Spencer. Riley & Dexter tied him uo so he was defenceless. Dexter invited Porter into the torture saying " we're open to help if you guys are interested". Dexter than smirked when Porter pulled ou the tazer. Porter goes onto torture Spencer with the tazer. If that isn't absolute gulit and responsibility for the tazering than i'm confused. They than enjoyed the torture. Watching someone being tazered is a very unpleasant sight but they allowed Porter to repeat the tazer to a battered, gagged, tied up Spencer.

In fact I think this scene calls into question as to what are the limits that Riley & Dexter will go to in hurting Spencer. Would they knife him, cut his throat, hang him ? I think anyone reading to this point would have to say well maybe. Afterall tazering can kill, beating someone into his spleen can kill so why not ? We know they are punishing him for some perceived wrong despite the fact they don't know the full facts,know he is younger and could be the nicest guy in the world. They have been judge , jury & so why not executioner.

I understand you as an author see good in these guys and maybe they have some good in them and maybe they will become better guys but they really could never be called good guys.

I completely agree with your comments on Nix. He is a work in progress and his character development is torturous for us readers as he develops from a coward to something better. However it does make the story so incredibly good.

Again this is an amazing story and thanks so much for the story, the passion it causes and your patience with us.

Edited by seanthomas