English Teen Circumcised in the USA

SPOILER WARNING !!!!

I strongly suggest than any reader who has not read chapter 84 to NOT progress beyond this post before you do.

This warning is even more important if you have not read chapter 80-83.

I'm pretty sure there will be posts about the answer to an important question flooding this topic soon.

Friends…

It’s been difficult to know what to say since posting that last chapter, though I appreciate what Timothy has done in opening this window too offer a place to reflect.

Maybe everything from here should be left under spoiler wraps for those who have not yet read so far.

Something Dughlas said in his review reminded me that the story—An English teen Circumcised in the USA—was at this point once before, way back at the time of the Hang. There was an outpouring of reaction by those reading…a lot of it quite harsh. It consumed a thread in the Lounge for several pages! That was difficult because, as a new writer at the time, it’s never been my intention then or now to hurt those who read. On that occasion, I had an honest note from a reader who’d faced something similar to ‘The Hang’ in their own school years, and that it had all got stirred up for them in quite painful ways. Because of him, I almost stopped writing, and would have if he hadn’t been just as vocal to say I needed to keep going.

At this last chapter, ‘Visitors’, some have left messages both through reviews and directly via messenger and email, that they literally can’t keep reading now that Ryan is gone.

I respect that. And maybe I also feel genuinely honoured that a character has touched you so deeply. As many of you know, I write very much out of my own experiences. To me, Ryan is quite real because he comes out of people I know, from people I care about, even from close friends who have died before their time. A lot of me is invested into him, too. Losing Ryan has been really tough, and I’ve grieved for him for quite some time. All I ask is that you give me the chance in the story to let me help you grieve properly for him, too, otherwise you’ll never get the best from this story, and you’ll always feel let down by it.

I also want to thank those who have written to encourage and to give positive feedback despite the heartache that the storyline has created. You also need to know that I won’t stop until it’s finished!

So…to the best of my ability, I’ll try to reply to each review, and want to thank you for each and every one of them.

Your friend,

Riley Jericho

• Like 5

This is Only for Riley. Please respect our PRIVACY, unless you have read 84th chapter and My Review

I know your concerns as an author. But as a reader I am really stuck with this Ryan character, and I am saying this as a reader only. Reading the chapter, what I felt unfair is; you left Ryan just like that. It felt like Ryan character has no importance. Just gone. Just two simple lines. That's all. Even in Luke's guilt, its all centered with himself. Just him. Nothing more than that. It increased my disappointment more. I lost my appetite to read it anymore.

I know every author has some attachment with their characters. But after what you said made me re think about it. But I can't promise that I'll read it, but I'll support you to finish it as I always do. Your readers expect you to do so. Me too. So my all support is with you. Thank you for letting us know that you felt for Ryan...

Aww, Emi, I understand why you feel like this. I'm sure there will be a lot more about Ryan in the next chapters. Luke just came back to the land of the living and he's only at the beginning of dealing with what happened to him and Ryan. I bet the concequences and repercussions will go on for several chapters (see my review to ch. 84 for a list of questions-to-be-answered).

Edited by Timothy M.

Aww, Emi, I understand why you feel like this. I'm sure there will be alo mor about Ryan in the next chapters. Luke just came back to the land of the lving and he's only at the beginning of dealing with what happened to him and Ryan. I bet the concequences and repercussions will go on for several chapters (see my review to ch. 84 for a list of questions-to-be-answered).

Thanks for your concerns Tim. Its not a necessary to check your review again, because I already read it. And all your concerns and those 'questions-to-be-answered' are also centered with Luke. So I might have hard time to accept them right now. Or/and atleast for sometime. I might come back eventually(just a hint), its so hard to be away from a good story. But because of loss of Ryan, I don't know particularly when. So just be patient with my opinions... :)

As an author, I know that certain things have been in the writer's mind for months, if not years.

I'd imagine Riley has known Ryan would die all this time.  Writing some of those especially moving scenes with him must have been hard, but writing of his death must have been harder.  Maybe the quick two-line-and-done was him ripping off the bandaid.

• Like 2

Thanks for your concerns Tim. Its not a necessary to check your review again, because I already read it. And all your concerns and those 'questions-to-be-answered' are also centered with Luke.

Yeah, they are centered with Luke, but most of them will be related to Ryan: what happened to him, what has the police said and done, what do people know about the reason his dad flipped, how will the kids at their school react?

• Like 2

I followed this tale from the first beginning and while I took strong issue with some of what Riley has written, the hang tore me to bits, it was never because the tale was poorly conceived. The story has always remained cohesive. I adored Ryan, he was/is an incredible character. Had I my druthers he would have survived but it isn't my story to tell. I trust Riley to make good use of this. The hang brought even more depth to Ryan. Simon is stronger as the result of what happened between he and Toby, that was a doomed relationship because Toby is a flawed person in need of counselling. Luke is a very human character. As he slowly recognizes his faults he hopes to become better, we call that maturity. Everyone comes to it at their own pace. Keep in mind Ryan didn't admit to being gay until after he knew about Luke. He actually used a contrived online persona to hide behind. I believe that the best writers don't create characters they bring people to life. Riley has done that here and that is why the story has evoked such visceral response. I for one, am curious to see where he takes us, this journey is not yet done ...

Edited by dughlas
  • Like 2

Good luck with the reviews for chapter 84, Riley. You have already started answering some of my questions (ie confirming Dayne's comment above).

The readers' reactions are just a measure of how many and how deep you have touched people with this story.

Looking forward to Saturday :)

• Like 2

First off, let me say how much I am enjoying following this story even though it is not always easy to read due to the serious content. While some have commented as to their feelings regarding plot developments, i will not as this is your tale to tell and only you have full insight as to where you want to take it. 

The conversation between Luke and Elliot did catch me off guard though. Luke has been in the hospital now for 2 (3?) chapters and has just regained full consciousness when he has the scene with Elliot. Elliot has so far been a mature and empathetic character so it caught me off guard that he openly questions the potential of a relationship with Luke when learning some more details about the attack and Luke's relationship with Ryan. 

The Elliot we have been introduced to has suffered emotional trauma himself and it seemed uncharacteristic that he would almost expect Luke to choose at this time. Elliot's own relationship with Luke is nascent, Luke has suffered major physical and emotional trauma and this all happens in a few paragraphs.  I cold certainly understand Elliot having questions and insecurities about Luke's feelings but the character seemed to have the maturity to keep a lid on those feelings at least until Luke had recovered physically if not emotionally.

So this ramble is more a comment on the pacing so that the characters and the readers have time to process.

That said: your story, your choices and I can't wait for the next instalment.

Interesting, I saw Elliot's questions as more confused than questioning their potential relationship. I'm also guessing Elliot is scared of making things worse by pushing. In any case we're seeing their conversation from Luke's POV and right now his faculties are impaired both mentally and physically. I'm not trusting his interpretation of Elliot's behavior. In addition, Luke has never shown any emphatic ability or intelligence when it comes to understanding even his closest friends (Ryan and Simon being prime examples). On the contrary he keep attributing their actions to wrong reasons, so he'll probably do the same with Elliot. :rolleyes:  

Edit: I went back and read the chapter again :pinch: I think Elliot was actually being quite calm and supportive apart from the moment he thought Ryan and Luke had fooled around.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

Hi Riley.

Its been well over a week since you killed Ryan off and to be honest i am still angry.

I understand its your story and only you know where its going but I feel that as Ryan was such a well liked character he should have been allowed to live.

With his background and his family's influence he could have gone a long way with his drive, charm and dare I say maturity, maybe he could have left to live with his Grandparents then who knows, maybe in later life in to politics or something that could make a change to peoples lives??

His character could have in my opinion had a book about him on its own. 

But that will not happen now.

Luke has always been sitting on the fence, in fact the only thing he really took issue with was getting circumcised, every thing else he sat back to see where the flock roamed then followed.

Now he has lost someone who could have help take him out of his shell.

Maybe Ryan was to strong for Luke, that Luke saw him as to dominant, organised, popular compared to himself, who knows, only you Riley.

Elliot, in many ways he is similar in my opinion, ISH he followed Miguel it was he who brought Elliot out but what did he do when he returned to the USA? from what we can gather he hung around with his family and girlfriends.

Did he meet other gay boys? nothing has really been said only tentatively, as for how strong he is, well the fire at the Academy school in the art block showed that he has a long way to go before he can move on as he still has not got over the death of Miguel.

Could the two of them form a relationship? I don't see it, they may help each other bury their demons but both are damaged, both need a strong person to help guide them.

Will I read the next book of this story? yeah, I will give it a go and see how the story continues, I have to admit that I do like your style of writing and what I have read so far.

Its your story Riley, we the reader can like it or lump it, maybe by the time you post the new story i will not be as angry with the loss of in my opinion such a special character.

I just hope that Luke grows a pair now he's been given another chance at life.

• Like 2

I just hope that Luke grows a pair now he's been given another chance at life.

not much sign of that so far. :no: But miracles do happen... :unsure: However, unless Luke gets some help I doubt he'll be able to deal with Ryan's death, and he just sent away one of his best chances of support. We'll see how he does with Simon, and his parents.

i remember,that you struggled with the criticism back when you first wrote the Hang sequence. I am guessing this is hard for you as well.  Hang in. I and others are looking forward to wherever you lead us.  As always thanks.  Even for the hard stuff. 

• Like 2

Your latest chapter did a lot to restore my respect for Luke. :yes:

I even think his parents did well.

But I wasn't very impressed by those police officers. :rolleyes:

btw congrats on hitting 140,000 views (I was the lucky guy turning the counter :D )

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

For some reason, I have had this story on my mind all week....

...wondering what the Burfords are going to say to the Summers: will they mention what they knew about Ryan and will it help Geoff and Lucy?
...wondering whether the Carters will speak to the Summers: didn't Lucy say they should speak to people who have the experience of having a gay son?

...wondering how the funeral will be organised: will Ry's friends have any role in it? Who will attend?

...wondering how Jacko is taking the whole thing. After all, he did have a big crush on Ryan. Will Luke tell Simon about Jacko?

...wondering when Elliott and Luke will speak again and what they will say to each other.

I have a favourite scenario which blends all these questions, but I'm sure I'm way off the mark ;)

• Like 1

Your latest chapter did a lot to restore my respect for Luke. :yes:

I even think his parents did well.

But I wasn't very impressed by those police officers. :rolleyes:

btw congrats on hitting 140,000 views (I was the lucky guy turning the counter :D )

Hey there Tim. Sorry I'm so slow to catch up on your message. 

140k plus story reads. It's a bit mind blowing really. Maybe it just reflect how long the story has been sitting there! Anyway, I'm still thankful for every one...and especially each of yours!

Luke isn't a bad kid. I tend to think people don't realise how much the uprooting from the UK put him on the back foot, making him cautious about many things in his life.

Somebody recently asked me how long the story will continue. The answer is...you'll know by the next chapter. It might be out this weekend, but we'll have to see.

Riley
  • Like 2

...wondering what the Burfords are going to say to the Summers: will they mention what they knew about Ryan and will it help Geoff and Lucy?

...wondering whether the Carters will speak to the Summers: didn't Lucy say they should speak to people who have the experience of having a gay son?

...wondering how the funeral will be organised: will Ry's friends have any role in it? Who will attend?

...wondering how Jacko is taking the whole thing. After all, he did have a big crush on Ryan. Will Luke tell Simon about Jacko?

...wondering when Elliott and Luke will speak again and what they will say to each other.

I have a favourite scenario which blends all these questions, but I'm sure I'm way off the mark ;)

A lot of great questions, Bleu, and let me say, I plan to answer them all!

Riley

• Like 3

I thought Jacko had a crush on Simon.  There crush on the Summers boys was one of their common interests.