English Teen Circumcised in the USA

Here's something that has been bothering me.  Back when Toby talked about the friend he'd been caught fooling around with, something he said stuck out.  Toby said the friend accused him of coming up with all the sexual things they'd been doing, which Toby firmly denied.  Yet, in Si and Toby's sexual experimenting, it was always Toby who came up with the crackpot ideas (shaving, dying their pubic hair, tying each other up, etc).  Si either went along with it, to Toby cajoled him into doing it.  But, I'm sure that if asked, Toby would say the same things about Si.

It sounds like a pattern of behavior.  I'm not saying that Toby was being malicious.  He may be incapable of recognizing that what he's doing is wrong.  Or he doesn't understand personal boundaries.  Or he could just be a kid who never really processed the trauma surrounding his precocious sexual debut.

• Like 2

I have to admit, for me, Toby is the saddest character in the take, though I won't give any spoilers here. So here's a ten-year-old kid that, through no fault of his own, got exposed to stuff that he shouldn't really have had to deal with until much older. Ad to that the confusion that came with set up as the fall guy by someone he trusted.

The early chapters don't give much detail, as it's not part of the story, but you have to wonder if Dillon's parents—Dillon being the other kid—totally bought into whether Dillon was squeaky clean, or whether for them it was a necessity that he had to be, for their own 'worldview', as anything else would be anathema.

So, yes, Toby has always—since that time—been damaged stock. He's also, as we know, incredibly creative, and that 'creativity' will always find outlets particularly in a confused area left there by Dillon. The 'stuff' he learned from Dillon was at an age where Toby was too young to know if it was right, but old enough to get a distorted pleasure from it. Apart from with his mom, he also internalises almost everything and has a real struggle being open, even with Simon, unless he's playing one of his 'games' that he's been conditioned to believe are what they need.

So yes, it is a behaviour pattern. No, he doesn't understand boundaries- the only ones that count for him are his own. And yes, he did process the trauma along with the sexual encounters, but without the right help came to the wrong conclusions. 

Thanks for your thoughts, and let's hope the kid finds help!

Riley

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thank you for 500 reviews and counting for ET! Every one has been a real encouragement! Thanks as always to my two best guys - Andrew Gordon who edits and beta-reads, as well as Cole Porter who has been taking the brunt of going through many of the earlier chapters and editing out the errors! Thanks guys!

For those who have been reading the story—and it’s got quite long— all I can say about ET is that things are coming to a head.

The most recent chapter is Uno

Thanks for reading,
Riley

I just wanted to say thank you for 500 reviews and counting for ET!

I got it, I got it.  :D

and I hadn't even noticed. :o

Now I wish I wrote a better review. :*)

500 reviews. Awesome and well-deserved. :yes:

PS do you realize this places the story in 14th place on the Most reviewed stories list?

Edited by Timothy M.

Hi Riley,

I am a relatively new fan of your work. I have been dreadfully lax in showing my appreciation though.

I'm a 31 year old Dutchie, but only recently out, even in our "alleged" gay-friendly country. My acceptance of myself and coming out hinged largely on reading gay-themed stories such as yours.

Your writing is among the best I've read over my personal search, the last 4 years. Especially the fact Luke is casually looking for what kind of boy he'd like to hook up with. As opposed to bedding every boy in sight, lol. I hope you will continue his search in a believable time frame.

On the other hand, I hope Simon gets the help he needs. Toby was overwhelmed by teen-hormones. Toby can still be his one true love. Or is that my my more mature attitude shining through; lol?

I realise I am being seriously defective in my post, but I needed to let you know I appreciate your work

• Like 1

I realise I am being seriously defective in my post, but I needed to let you know I appreciate your work

Hi Dutchie

Welcome to the fun world of GA forum posting, it's a great way to make new online friends. :yes:

Nothing defective about your post, I'm sure Riley will appreciate the nice words about his story.

If you've read some of my reviews or my posts here, I'm sure you know I disagree about Tony ever being anything to Simon again. ;) But it's good to have a forgiving voice reminding us he's just a confused teen as well.

Dear Shyboy85,

Hello my friend. Sorry for taking a while to reply - it’s been a hectic week! Firstly, thank you for dropping a note here. It’s always great to hear from those who are reading and enjoying the story.

I think more people identify with stories that are more real to life than just a bunch of hormone crazed young people jumping into bed with each other. I’ve always wanted ET to reflect ordinary people. In fact, much of it — the good and the bad — comes from my own experiences.

I’m a great believer in the fact that we all mess up. None of us is perfect, even if we have moments of brilliance. Luke is like that. He has some serious issues, but is a good kid at heart, even if he has a lot of growing up to do. Perhaps accepting our own - and others - limitations is a step towards finding a good path in life.

Than you again for reading ET, and I hope we’ll see more of you in and around GA!

Riley

It was with quite a bit of satisfaction that I posted the most recent chapter of ET yesterday. That particular scene at the end has been brewing since way back in the 4th chapter of the tale! That was 70  chapters ago - oh my gosh, how did that happen - but thanks to all who have stuck with it!

Not giving away any spoilers here, but what happens now?  Time will tell, but it might not be what you think…

For those who haven’t yet read ‘An Unexpected Turn of Events’, you can find it here

Riley J

• Like 1

You have plenty to be satisfied with. It is indeed a great chapter. I devoured it during my lunch break and then read it again on the bus home.

As for the revelation towards the end of the chapter (no spoiler ;) ) I am wondering whether you didn't hint at that when you first posted chapters a few years back. When this story is finished, and I'm hoping it is not soon as I want to read many more chapters, will be you be willing to discuss how you changed the plot between the 2 versions? There is another scene which I believe was included in the first version and which we have yet to see (revised, obviously).

Bleu

Hello Bleu,

It’s true, there was actually a hint back in Ch 17 ‘The Party’. The updates I did, didn’t change the overall plot that much and I’m not really sure which scene you are meaning. Actually I’m not even sure what the original was, now, lol!

Anyway, thanks for the note.

Riley

• Like 1

I still have the originals  :P . Personally, I like most of the updates. I reread most of the new chapters (skipping a few) so that I understood any major changes, and there were a few chapter rewrites I didn't love. I enjoy a sort of hybrid between the original and new versions. Maybe it's part nostalgia from one of the first stories I read, but I love a lot of the originals. Something about a few of the original chapters just grabbed my attention more. But that's my opinion  :rolleyes:.

Edited by Rockon429
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Can you tell us a bit more about the new schedule of posting that you mentioned at the end of the last chapter?

Is this because the story is reaching its end and you want to finish in a flourish of smaller chapters? Or something totally different?

Not that we are impatient or anything...

:boy:

Edited by Bleu

Hi Bleu! A mixture of things, really, though I wouldn't neccessarily assume that the story is at an end! There are sections that Andy and I are still working on, and we might not hold to the usual schedule - or we might take a longer chapter and serialise it over a week. Nothing set in stone yet...just possibilites.

Riley

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there folks!

Firstly, thanks for all the chapter reads and the reviews for the most recent chapter of ET, End of the Road.

I need to let you know that, for the next few weeks, chapter posting are going to be a bit ’impromptu’, and could come out at anytime. You can always get a heads up if you use the ‘follow story’ option and make sure you have story updates ticked in your notification options.

Thanks for your patience as we wait to see what happens next.

Your friend,

Riley J

• 3 weeks later...

the next chapter may be a while…

:blink::o:no:

at least there is some sort of hope... :unsure:

If Luke and / or Ryan survive, I guess that's the end of being in the closet with their families. And hopefully Luke's parents will be so relieved their son survived that the small matter of him being gay becomes totally insignificant. But I still want them to feel completely mortified that their attitudes have been such both their sons refused to come out to them. Somehow I know Ryan's grandparents will be fine with him being gay. :yes.

Now, whether they will be outed at school is another question I can't wait to hear the answer to. Plus how Elliot will react to another lover of his (almost) dying. :o

WARNING: chapter 84 has just posted, so don't go beyond this page in the topic before you read it

Edited by Timothy M.

:blink::o:no:

at least there is some sort of hope... :unsure:

If Luke and / or Ryan survive, I guess that's the end of being in the closet with their families. And hopefully Luke's parents will be so relieved their son survived that the small matter of him being gay becomes totally insignificant. But I still want them to feel completely mortified that their attitudes have been such both their sons refused to come out to them. Somehow I know Ryan's grandparents will be fine with him being gay. :yes.

Now, whether they will be outed at school is another question I can't wait to hear the answer to. Plus how Elliot will react to another lover of his (almost) dying. :o

If Luke and Ryan survive but Ryan's parents are both dead, nobody else will know why his father shot them. A violent drunk passed over for promotion yet again, so wrong place wrong time.
  • Like 1

If Luke and Ryan survive but Ryan's parents are both dead, nobody else will know why his father shot them. A violent drunk passed over for promotion yet again, so wrong place wrong time.

Ryan's dad screamed about killing the faggot who "thinks he loves his son" to the 911 operator so I'd say a motive is fairly well established.

• Like 1

Ryan's dad screamed about killing the faggot who "thinks he loves his son" to the 911 operator so I'd say a motive is fairly well established.

Yup, that's why I think they may be outed at school too. And since a policeman died, there will be a huge commotion. Even if they both denied the accusation and said he was mistaken because he was drunk, it won't fly. Also I think hiding the truth away will be very damaging to their minds, because that's like saying being gay is shameful which would indirectly validate Ryan's father's opinion.

Ryan at least will have the guts to be out and proud, and since he'll probably leave to live with his grandparents he can say fuck you to the school and the bigoted principal.

Luke may take the coward's road in which case I shall despise him completely, since he would be pissing on both Elliot and Ryan who have the guts to be proud of who they are. I'm sorry for the pain and trauma which will result from this, but I honestly believe the damage will be worse if he tries to deny he's gay. He will end up lonely and broken when the truth comes out and he has to admit he was too much of a coward to face his parents and friends with honesty. But I hope he won't have a choice and that he'll find out people accept and love / like him just the same.

• 2 weeks later...