[Andrew_Q_Gordon] Second Shot - The Senior Year

I've had this thought kicking around for a while, I even posted a thread on it a while back, but it wasn't until I was approached by someone who coordinates a flash fiction group that I found a vehicle to do this- and the motivation to keep at it.

Starting this Wednesday I'm going to start with the flash fiction that Cia and Nephy participate called Wednesday Briefs.  My goal is to use the theme of the week to write a snippet about some of the characters from Second Shot.  I can't promise I'll be able to do this every week, but I'll try to make sure it's more often than not.  These aren't long  500-1000 words, which is about 3-4 typed pages max.  Some may end up being 'continued next week' others will be complete 'scenes.'  I don't know that I'll being doing these chronologically, but my expectation will be they will all be about Peter, Jason and Darryl's senior year, which will also be Dean's freshman year.  It won't be all about Jason and Peter, so hopefully that won't be an issue for people.  Last, my plan is to post these on my site on Wednesday, then in the next day or so post them under a new 'story' on GA.  That's the goal for now at least.

So, you can watch GA for new announcement/updates or you can sign up on my blog for site generated emails whenever I make a post. 

Hopefully this will satisfy my itch to get back to these characters while I work on the sequel to the Last Grand Master and get Purpose ready for publication.  

Andy

• Like 3

B) .........This could prove to be interesting, 2nd Shot was a great story that I had no idea you might do a sequel on. If you do I will definitely follow it.

B-man, think of it not so much as a sequel, because as Flash Fiction - 500-1000 words, it's hard to create and sustain a plot/conflict etc. These are going to be more like snippets of their lives and whats going on.  I suppose I ought to call it "Second Shot-The Senior Year" or something along those lines.  There won't be the same 'big' problems for the characters.

I always thought about how after I read a good book and it ended, my 'involvement' with the character kinda ended.  So this is sort of a way to keep them around for a bit - at least until I decide IF I want to do a companion story - i.e. use different characters from the cast - or write a sequel. I have ideas for both, just not the time to do get them down.  

Hope that explains things a bit better.

Andy

So Chapter 1 is up in GA Stories.

Now well see where I take this.  Unlike a require story/novel, I don't have a planned out 'story' per se.  I do have an idea of things that happen - i.e. as set out in The Trial of Jordan Colmar, Jason, Peter, Darryl and Dean rent a house off campus.  I see Ethan and Blake hooking up at a party J, P, D, & D have in their new place for the soccer team before school starts.  I have some ideas about the soccer season, the rest of senior year and graduation, but beyond that nothing like a detailed plot, conflict and resolution.  

I once asked if anyone would be interested in reading about the lives of the characters after the 'story' ended.  Seeing it as something like a tv show where there is a general theme, but not one 'story to tell.' Where we get 'episodes' of the characters daily lives without the need to have central, overriding conflict that needs to be overcome.  This will be more like a TV show, than a Movie. 

I'm not sure this is a good idea or not, or if folks will even be interested. Judging from the response I get, I'll figure out how far to take it. 

Questions, comments, or whatever are welcome.

If this is going to be their lives during their senior year, seen through snippets...then, isn't that enough? Wouldn't their lives essentially become THE "plot" of this? :P

Nephylim's demonstrated how to create a "flash story" that does have "big" problems for its characters - and she's done it quite well - but given how grounded in real life the Second Shot "universe" is, it doesn't necessarily need to be filled with such "big" problems all throughout. :)

The thing I do have to wonder about, though, is...you mention in your story note that some scenes may need to take multiple chapters. That makes me wonder if this won't eventually end up at a size that ultimately dwarfs Angel - even as that one's just hit 30.

• Like 1

If this is going to be their lives during their senior year, seen through snippets...then, isn't that enough? Wouldn't their lives essentially become THE "plot" of this? :P 

MJ - that is essentially my idea when I decided to do this.  There won't be the 'coming' out or the 'assault' type plot bunnies that take chapters to flesh out.  These would be more like little vingettes or snippets as you say.  Is that enough?  IDK, that's for the readers to decided.  They scenes will all be 'related' in that if - as in this one, Blake hooks up with Ethan - that 'event' will be part of the 'universe' and will always be background for any future stories.  Each 'chapter' won't erase the prior the board and start over.  If that makes sense.  Again, is that enough, time will tell.

Nephylim's demonstrated how to create a "flash story" that does have "big" problems for its characters - and she's done it quite well - but given how grounded in real life the Second Shot "universe" is, it doesn't necessarily need to be filled with such "big" problems all throughout. :) 

Not needing a 'big problem' may or may not work for a related story.  But as they are all tied together, in the end it will probably tell a 'complete story' somewhere along the way.  I image the blake/ethan story arc will be the main 'tension' and the rest will just be interesting [interesting in my mind at least] snippets that bring the other people to the reader. But we'll see.

The thing I do have to wonder about, though, is...you mention in your story note that some scenes may need to take multiple chapters. That makes me wonder if this won't eventually end up at a size that ultimately dwarfs Angel - even as that one's just hit 30.

Are you accusing me of being a size queen? :o

Actually I have no idea how long or short this will be. How long I'll continue with this, if I'll change to a different 'theme' or not.  But IF I see it through to the end of the senior year?  yeah, 30 chapters is gonna seem short.  Just sayin. 

Andy

MJ - that is essentially my idea when I decided to do this.  There won't be the 'coming' out or the 'assault' type plot bunnies that take chapters to flesh out.  These would be more like little vingettes or snippets as you say.  Is that enough?  IDK, that's for the readers to decided.  They scenes will all be 'related' in that if - as in this one, Blake hooks up with Ethan - that 'event' will be part of the 'universe' and will always be background for any future stories.  Each 'chapter' won't erase the prior the board and start over.  If that makes sense.  Again, is that enough, time will tell.

Got it. :)

Not needing a 'big problem' may or may not work for a related story.  But as they are all tied together, in the end it will probably tell a 'complete story' somewhere along the way.  I image the blake/ethan story arc will be the main 'tension' and the rest will just be interesting [interesting in my mind at least] snippets that bring the other people to the reader. But we'll see.

Should Blake/Ethan be the only thing causing tension? I dunno - it might seem more like their story. But, it's way too early to make any kind of analysis on that.

Are you accusing me of being a size queen? :o

Actually I have no idea how long or short this will be. How long I'll continue with this, if I'll change to a different 'theme' or not.  But IF I see it through to the end of the senior year?  yeah, 30 chapters is gonna seem short.  Just sayin.

Wellllllllllll......since it seems you want to be one... 0:)

I do wonder, though, if at some point down the road, this won't eventually grow out of being a "flash" story.

• Like 1

I do wonder, though, if at some point down the road, this won't eventually grow out of being a "flash" story.

Dunno.  Not sure at this point but to be honest I don't see how this could be 'more' in that if I stick to the format, it will be difficult to turn it into a stand alone story. But then again, it's just the first little snippet, let me get 10 or so under my belt before I start to think about what else to do with it.  

B) .............No Q-man, I felt comfortable in the way you picked up the story, like it wasn't even that you left off it. Sure there is some gaps, which I'm sure you might fill in later!!!

• Like 1

Yeah what I needed to do, but didn't seem to be able to fit in, was to give it a time stamp.  Next chapter I need to pick up in the same day as this one and put it in context, i.e that it's right before the start of their senior year so it's right around the time of the trial of Jordan Colmar.  I can and will work in a bit about them getting ready to testify and maybe afterwards. 

Who knows, maybe Barbara will put in work - err sorry gang term slipped in there some how.  She'll make an appearance as she prepares to ruin the Colmar's for what Jordan did to Peter and Jason.  As was hinted at in the Trial, she did a bit of digging into Hank Colmar's dealings and she gave her lawyers some info to pass on.  Not that she's vindictive or anything. 0:)

But it's all speculation. I have total freedom to pick and choose the topic, characters, actions etc.  It's like the world is at my feet.  :joe:

Ah, it does feel a bit nice to slip back into this 'place.' I spent so much time writing this one story, I almost feel like i lived it.  lol

There's something about this scene that makes it feel...unfinished. It seems like there's more to hear from these two right here in this moment, that this chapter didn't allow for. :)

• Like 1

Oh please, use your imagination.  We all know what's going to happen next. 0:)

The point is they're together and doing well.  The first few chapters are going to be about reintroducing some of the main characters, but I figured a little spice was okay.  Who knew Moderator Mike wanted the full monty.  :lmao:

Well......when you put it that way... 0:):D

Then again, theirs are far from the only character dynamics we see here. And we know that there's more where those conversations came from. Even if the rest of it is to be as pillow talk. :whistle:

• Like 1

And...that, is not the emoticon I was intending (the second one). Reason I don't edit is because I am on my phone, on which editing is a big ol' mess. :P Imagine that, I get surprised with a brand new emoticon!

Well......when you put it that way... 0:):D

Then again, theirs are far from the only character dynamics we see here. And we know that there's more where those conversations came from. Even if the rest of it is to be as pillow talk. :whistle:

In fairness to you - that 'new' emoticon is really an old one they redisgned.  :lol:

Yes, you are correct there is much that must still be discussed, but I figurd that ought to come from Blake.  I have a couple ideas for the next couple scenes. Probably the next one will be Darryl Dean, Pete, Jason, but it could be Blake & Ethan, or it could be Blake and Roommate.  I've got the itch to do something down the road with Barbara and Jordan's mom, but I figure I need to do a chapter that 'time stamps' the Trial.  So i guess need to get us up to that point in the time line first.  But don't you think it'd be nice to see Hurricaine Barbara on Jason's side this time??? :P

Thanks and on to next week's chapter.

Andrew,

I found "Second Shot" about 6 months ago and it is my favorite story of all the stories I have read on here and on Nifty. I think i read it completly through 6 or 7 times, and my favorite chapters ( about 2/3 of them, haha ) a few more times as well.

I think that these Flash Fiction chapters are great to get them through college.I saw on the forums of second shot somewhere that you mentioned doing a sequel 5 years later maybe. I like how this not necesserily going to be a coming out, dramatic hospital story line, but a look into how the guys finish college together.

Once senior year is finish,then maybe you can go to a sequal 5 years down the line and look at how the dynamic of these characters had changed. Maybe the dynamic can change were Peter is now the weathy one with his success, and Jason is now having work problems and can't tap his trust fund, and the issues that arise. A reversal of sorts.

(I feel like i'm being bossy and telling you how to right your story, so feel free tell me to F off, I won't take offense, haha, I just love these characters too much and hope your writing about them into their old age.)

I'm so happy your doing Senior year, and I'm going to reread Second Shot again for the millionth time.

Keep up the great writing,

Tony C.

• Like 1

B) .............. Q-man, nice chapter, sorry for checking in late had some issues with my PC, seems like my fan is running to high. As usual you did not disappoint me with the chapter, and the shortness of it doesn't bother me. That younger brother of his is going to need a BIG talking to. I know that going to college is escaping parental control and living it high, but responsibility needs to take precedence over having fun all the time.

• Like 1

Andrew,

I found "Second Shot" about 6 months ago and it is my favorite story of all the stories I have read on here and on Nifty. I think i read it completly through 6 or 7 times, and my favorite chapters ( about 2/3 of them, haha ) a few more times as well. . . . . 

. . . . I'm so happy your doing Senior year, and I'm going to reread Second Shot again for the millionth time.

Tony C.

Tony,

Wow, I even got to be your first GA post too.  :)

Okay, so first, glad to know you're liking the new stuff.  it's a bit harder and easier to write if that makes sense.  The artificial word count limit makes the stories more focused and concise, but at the same time, they can be less than satisfying if I can't get the story into 1000 words.  I've decided that IF I need more, I'll either continue the same thread for another week OR, I'll find a natural break and post the rest on GA as a longer chapter.  IDK yet.

As for the sequel, well yes, I do have a sequel kinda mapped out already so no need to tell you sod off, just that I've already got the story line mapped out.  This 'senior year, might last a bit more than a year in the telling, but hopefully it will set up the sequel well enough that I can transition.  I will tell you that I do kinda have the last 'chapter' thought out so that I can segue into the five years later story.  But I have to find the time to do the five years later.  SO nope, not gonna say shove off, just gonna say, I've got the story laid out.  :D

Andy

• Like 2

B) .............. Q-man, nice chapter, sorry for checking in late had some issues with my PC, seems like my fan is running to high. As usual you did not disappoint me with the chapter, and the shortness of it doesn't bother me. That younger brother of his is going to need a BIG talking to. I know that going to college is escaping parental control and living it high, but responsibility needs to take precedence over having fun all the time.

One of the things I almost hate about you is that you can almost see where I'm going next.  :P

Yup, Dean is about to get a lesson in adulthood and what it means to be a student athlete.  Sure it's great to live with the seniors, but two of those seniors are his team captains and one is the team captain's fiercely loyal and supportive boyfriend.  One does wonder if Dean is ready for what's ahead.  

Thanks for reading and especially for letting me know that so far the format isn't a drag.  One good thing is that it's not too difficult to churn out a thousand word story.  Not simple, but by no means too hard to do on a weekly basis.  

Andy