[Andrew_Q_Gordon] Second Shot - The Senior Year

I said in a response to a review that I won't have any gay bashing, hospital scenes and would make this more 'normal' and realistic if I can.  I think the number of gay bashings on college campus's are few these days. If you were to count up the number of people who got beaten for being gay, you'd probably find that the total far far exceeds the reality.  So to that end, I'd like to tone down that element.  But just because one doesn't get beat up, doesn't mean one isn't bullied or harassed - not that I'm saying that's what's gonna happen, just pointing out the obvious.

So with that, stay tuned and find out.

- AQG

With the talk of people being mind readers, you'd think Matt has figured out everything and I do mean everything already, and the next time he sees Blake, it'll be instant complete flip-out. Joy... :/

• Like 1

With the talk of people being mind readers, you'd think Matt has figured out everything and I do mean everything already, and the next time he sees Blake, it'll be instant complete flip-out. Joy... :/

Matt obviously has something on his mind...but I'm not a mind reader.

• Like 1

Easy thar partner - keep your chaps on.  :whistle:

Matt's not exactly the bait and hate type.  Maybe he had bad food or his girl was giving him guff.  Just because Blake is paranoid doesn't mean it's true [doesn't mean he's wrong either, but still].  And as was pointed out - Matt is one of Jason's best friends, it's unlikely he'll flip out on Blake, but I do promise to let everyone in on the issue in a couple/three chapters - promise.  well maybe four - I'm feeling a bit evil and I might want to drag out Blake's discomfort. After all it can't all be roses and champagne can it??  0:)

Matt obviously has something on his mind...but I'm not a mind reader.

LOL - that's all I'm gonna say Mike.  :gikkle:

Easy thar partner - keep your chaps on. :whistle:

Matt's not exactly the bait and hate type. Maybe he had bad food or his girl was giving him guff. Just because Blake is paranoid doesn't mean it's true [doesn't mean he's wrong either, but still]. And as was pointed out - Matt is one of Jason's best friends, it's unlikely he'll flip out on Blake, but I do promise to let everyone in on the issue in a couple/three chapters - promise. well maybe four - I'm feeling a bit evil and I might want to drag out Blake's discomfort. After all it can't all be roses and champagne can it?? 0:)

Maybe...but it seems like it doesn't quite ring true for Matt to be pissed off about something else and directing that onto Blake, either. If anything, he seems like he might be the type to get angry that Blake isn't being open and honest with him, seeing as Jason is (even though Jason didn't have much choice in the matter).

Speaking of Jason...we haven't heard much from him lately. What's he been up to? :P

• 2 weeks later...

Matt needs to seriously be put deep in the doghouse. :P Clearly he's never gotten over what Blake did that very first day that he got introduced in the main story. Maybe he's the one, even, that the team can do without.

• Like 1

Matt needs to seriously be put deep in the doghouse. :P Clearly he's never gotten over what Blake did that very first day that he got introduced in the main story. Maybe he's the one, even, that the team can do without.

We all have our 'issues' but hopefully he'll chill enough that he won't end up being off the team.  No promises.  That hasn't been decided yet. 0:) 

Matt strikes me as someone who's supportive, militantly so - but we haven't seen much of him being a "friendly" sort of guy, and "supportive" and "friendly" do not always go hand-in-hand.

I'm sticking with my theory that Matt never really got over what Blake did that first day out, no matter what one of his team captains said about the whole deal...and now, seeing Blake around with a boyfriend, and not being open and honest about it at that...it's like Blake's a full-blown hypocrite, in his mind. Sooo...how does he deal with that?

I don't see how it would be a secret attraction...for that to be true, that would mean that Matt would have had to keep that hidden for a full year after that initial incident - hidden even from Jason. Even if he wasn't attracted to any other guy before Blake...how would it be, that nothing happens in regards to dealing with it, until only now? It just doesn't seem to fly.

For what it's worth, for those wondering how a sports guy like Matt could be straight and overly supportive of gay guys...just ask Hudson Taylor. :P

• Like 1

Well...it does seem that just putting Matt off the team now might be a bit rash. :P

What's next? Seems like we could either keep going with Jason and company, or flip back to Blake and see how he's dealing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The last few chapters before this one pretty much spoke for themselves with the overlap with Jordan's trial.

This past one, though - like you say, "to be continued"...it does seem like we're in another scene where this is like "part 1 of 2".

• Like 1

Or maybe one of three?  I'm not sure how far to take this. The easy way is to end the scene with him and matt then cut to something else. Or I could leave them at the table with the team and have Blake still sweating bullets.  Even if no one said anything right away - does that automatically remove his tension?  I can't imagine that coming out is THAT easy - even once the weight is removed, there is still a bit of awkwardness.  We'll see.  I do of course thing there needs to be a bit of a private reward from Ethan for a job well done, no? :yes:

Edited by Andrew_Q_Gordon

Or maybe one of three?  I'm not sure how far to take this. The easy way is to end the scene with him and matt then cut to something else. Or I could leave them at the table with the team and have Blake still sweating bullets.  Even if no one said anything right away - does that automatically remove his tension?  I can't imagine that coming out is THAT easy - even once the weight is removed, there is still a bit of awkwardness.  We'll see.  I do of course thing there needs to be a bit of a private reward from Ethan for a job well done, no? :yes:

Were you talking about the previous chapter here, or the one you just posted today? :P

• Like 1

Were you talking about the previous chapter here, or the one you just posted today? :P

B) ..............Got another two fer chapters, not sure how I keep missing the previous ones. Anyhow, I only really want to know why Matt reacted like he did towards Blake. Afterall no has the right to make a judgement call, people come 'out' on their own comfort zone.

• Like 1

You sure must have a boat load of patience and perseverance. The short word count sure stretches mine. Don't know how you do it and still make it work like you do. Blake's trepidation about coming out is very believable, you can almost feel it and Ethan has been a great backboard to bounce Blake against. Those two really compliment each other right now but can it hold up.

I generally like to read complete stories so I don't have to wait (refer to said lack of patience) but I'm trying this with your story and three others. I'm not sure if this is going to be the new me or not.

Keep writing it, I'll keep reading it (maybe I can handle perseverance after all).

• Like 1

Hmm that's a tough one, I suspect I meant the one today - because when I post that I'd already put up the chapter on my site so I had that chapter in my head. sorry for the confusion.   

B) ..............Got another two fer chapters, not sure how I keep missing the previous ones. Anyhow, I only really want to know why Matt reacted like he did towards Blake. Afterall no has the right to make a judgement call, people come 'out' on their own comfort zone.

Nope he doesn't but when has that ever stopped folks from doing just that?  The reason you're missing them is I've been terrible about putting on GA lately, been so busy I keep forgetting things, this is just one of many sadly.  We'll see if I improve on it any time soon. :)

You sure must have a boat load of patience and perseverance. The short word count sure stretches mine. Don't know how you do it and still make it work like you do. Blake's trepidation about coming out is very believable, you can almost feel it and Ethan has been a great backboard to bounce Blake against. Those two really compliment each other right now but can it hold up.

I generally like to read complete stories so I don't have to wait (refer to said lack of patience) but I'm trying this with your story and three others. I'm not sure if this is going to be the new me or not.

Keep writing it, I'll keep reading it (maybe I can handle perseverance after all).

Ron,

Hmm yeah the short word count.  Actually it's a blessing these days. I'm so strapped for time, that these are some times the only things I write in a week.  So they force me to keep writing AND they're short.  The nice part about the short is it helps me practice not being too wordy - a problem I've been told by readers and editors alike.  That's how I can keep doing these.  But you're right the artificial limit does make it tough sometimes to find a good ending.  

The one thing I'm not going to do is create a big convoluted plot. These are going to be shorter snippets of life. The kind that happen to us all.  Not everyone has been bashed and sent to the hospital or tossed out and told 'your not son of mine' etc.  So these are supposed to deal with more mundane facets of the 'boys' lives.  That's my hope at least.  Now watch me create some hugely complicated plot line in the near future lol.

Thanks for reading and persevering  :)

Andy

Edited by Andrew_Q_Gordon
  • 2 weeks later...

May I make a suggestion for a chapter? I think you should take a total bit character who didn't appear in the original Second Shot for more than a scene or two, somebody who in all likelihood we totally wouldn't remember, introduce their life in a bit more detail so we have no idea who you're talking about and then slyly tie them into a little moment with a main character and leave them on their way.

I know if I were you I would relish doing something like that just for the playfulness of it all, but I'm not sure what type of writer you are.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...