In my current story, Geeks, I tried to hit upon two of the most popular topics that people can geek out over, that I knew at least a little bit about, Star Wars and anime.  (I guess Star Trek too, but I don't know as much about that).  I still got comments and messages from people who weren't familiar with things like cosplaying and sci-fi conventions.  (I haven't been to either since college).  So I was just curious if there were readers out there that don't know about Star Wars or anime but have an extensive knowledge about other things. What are some of the more popular things that people in more modern times tend to obsess over?  What does being a geek mean in this day and age?  I'm very curious and any insight would be welcome!  Thanks!   :)

• Like 1

Comic books. Lots and lots of comic books. I can still remember storylines I grew up with and can still point out the evolution of the genre in ways that make other people tilt their head in confusion. If I visit a bookstore that carries them, I camp out and get myself up to date on all the latest titles.

• Like 1

I am a proud geek.  One thing I could think of really quick was the age old debate of Xbox vs. PS3.  Personally I love both of them but man that can start some major wars. Then there is always the Mac vs PC.  Talk about NO room for cross overs.  EEP.  Firefly and anything Joss Whedon. ( I love Firefly a really lot)  Oh yes!  The I.T. Crowd.  ( its on Netflix if you have not seen it.  Too funny).  Hmmm.  World of Warcraft of course.  Walking Dead and anything Zombie.  Dr. Who.   Star Trek is a whole other set of fandom.  Asking someone who their captain is would be about like straight up asking who you like for the next president election.  I am sure I can come up with more but this is what comes to mind first.  I have to say that you are doing an excellent job wth Geeks.  Its a lot of fun for me to read. 

• Like 2

Oh yes.  Comic books are way awesome.  Thats a good point.  DC vs Marvel.  My personal addiction right now has been My Little Pony comics, Smurfs, True Blood and a few others.  I could happily spend hours in the comic book store just looking around.  That is one of my favorite things with cons.  Just seeing all the stuff that people come up with. 

• Like 1

Cassie, with the nickname Comicfan you couldn't come to me about Geekdoms? LOL. Star Trek, Star Wars, Anime, and Comicbooks. I've done all of them, been to conventions for all, and seen stuff I still don't know how to classify. DC has once again redone its comic world starting all over with 52. Marvel has multiple versions of their characters running around as well. Cosplay is alive and well, and I have friends who are busy making costumes for their next chance to do so. Star Wars just goes on and on. Star Trek - Trekkers or Trekkies depending on who they are - will fight to the death defending their captain - Kirk (old or new), Picard, Janeway, Sisko, and hell even that abomination version Archer. Anime is a world unto itself. Of course there is also the gaming world with a whole set of nerds.

• Like 1

Dr. Who and Firefly are a must. 

There's also the MMO crowd -- like the old stand-in World of Warcraft (WoW).  The new Avengers movies have a huge following, plus all the characters' individual movies.  If you haven't been to whedonopolis (google Joss Wedon to find the website), that's a good place to find geek stuff.

Also, Heroes (first season, not second), all the new vampire and zombie TV shows, Game of Thrones, and Big Bang Theory.

• Like 1

I have no Star Wars knowledge at all. Apart from Geeking out over physical stuff (chemistry in baking and the right way to use a hammer in jewellery making) i mainly geek out on Top Gear and Black Books. Hubby and i quote black books at each other on a regular basis.

• Like 1