The 2013 Gay Authors Readers' Choice Ballot and Voting

Wow.  This is going to be so difficult.

OH!   And Congratulations to all the nominees!   You all provided us with wonderful stories and hours of reading enjoyment!  Thank You!  DDK

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 4

Soooo not fair...making me choose between two authors on my "gotta read immediately" list for king of the cliffies! At least the only other category I had trouble deciding in was best protagonist.  

Every single author on the lists deserve to be there. Thank you all for providing so much fantastic reading material. You should all be proud of yourselves.

• Like 4

While I certainly see the purposes of these awards being purely motivational and generate recognition for an author's work, there are several fundamental questions to this which I would like answered, simply because the lack of transparency undermines the entire purpose.

There were hundreds of new stories in 2013. Who made this list? Who came up with this narrow band of a handful of stories inside which we must cast our vote? What was the process by which these stories were chosen? Were they judged on their merits, literary skills, popularity, or what? What were the criteria for such selections? How should we cast our vote, when the definition of 'best' story could simply be our favourite, or the only one we have read? And if no criteria had been given to what exactly the 'best' story is, should it therefore not be simply our 'favourite' story as it is practically a popularity contest?

Since the selection process is not transparent, and since this is a site that promotes quality fiction, 'best' is not an appropriate word for the small amount of stories that have been chosen which is then to be voted by willing forum voters who were not given the appropriate criteria of judgment for the word, 'best'. Even to the eventual winners, claiming to be 'the best story of 2013' is still rather too pretentious when there is little ground for which they could actually wear that title. If there *is* a transparent system behind the nominations, I would very much like to hear. Distinctions and acknowledgements would be very helpful to clarify that this award has taken into account the majority of works written in 2013, and indeed show that the forum clique had looked beyond members of their own and acknowledge other authors who share the same site they do.

Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Circle
  • Like 1

Awww, wow, thanks so much for the nomination!  That's so cool.  It made my night.

Hahah, I didn't even know you were on here! :)

Your last chapter btw, had me in tears. I cried myself to sleep that night just thinking about Joe and Chris drifting apart.

• Like 1

Hahah, I didn't even know you were on here! :)

Your last chapter btw, had me in tears. I cried myself to sleep that night just thinking about Joe and Chris drifting apart.

Aw, man, that makes me feel kinda guilty!  There's lots more left to go, probably 12-15 chapters.  

I'm not really, actively on here.  I made a profile a long time ago in case I wanted it at some point, maybe for some later project.

• Like 1

Aw, man, that makes me feel kinda guilty!  There's lots more left to go, probably 12-15 chapters.  

I'm not really, actively on here.  I made a profile a long time ago in case I wanted it at some point, maybe for some later project.

I had no idea you were on here either. And, I haven't read the latest chapter yet - Thanks, Lisa!

I'm probably not the only person to nominate you for the story, I'm sure, but you were on my nomination list.

• Like 1

I had no idea you were on here either. And, I haven't read the latest chapter yet - Thanks, Lisa!

I'm probably not the only person to nominate you for the story, I'm sure, but you were on my nomination list.

Oh shit Ron, I'm so, so sorry!!!! I should have put a spoiler alert there! I wasn't even thinking!!!!

Well, I'm thrilled there's way more to go! =) So there's always hope.

And it's funny, every time I drive down 684 I think of you. lol

• Like 2

Thanks to all of of you who put my 10-years-in-the-making-but-finally-finished story up for nomination! I'm honored, and gratified to be included in the distinguished company of other nominees, and just being recognized for my efforts will keep me churning out chapters of new stuff MUCH more regularly in 2014!

• Like 3