A New Story From Adam Phillips

Hey, guys. Just wanted to let you know that this week I'll be starting another story at Gay Authors. I have about  10 story ideas I'd like to develop as stories in 2014, and this is the first, because it's one of the shortest and most close to completion. It's called Brushfire, and it's only going to be about 5 chapters long.

It's a story about a young married university prof who runs into an airman (from the Air Force...duh) at a bar in San Antonio, Texas.

It's a little bit of a period piece, as it's set in 2007, the year that the San Antonio Spurs met the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA championship. I actually started it then and let it sit on the shelf for a few years. I was going to update it for its debut on Gay Authors, but an astute reader who'd read through these chapters pointed out to me that the military had changed enough in the ensuing years--with the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell-- to make the basic conflict of the story somewhat obsolete. So I winced and concluded he was right.

Still, I think the story's worth finishing, and worth having the readers at Gay Authors give it a look.

I'll have the first chapter posted some time between tomorrow and Friday.

Edited by Adam Phillips
  • Like 5

Okay. Chapter 1 has been posted! I'll post a chapter a week. I have it all written except for the final chapter or chapters. There'll only be five or six; it's not War and Peace.

Also, I think Jeremy's a little off-base with the tune. Brushfire isn't a merry gay romp in the sunshine, but it's not an emo wallow, either. That's all I'll say at this point. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Okay. Chapter 1 has been posted! I'll post a chapter a week. I have it all written except for the final chapter or chapters. There'll only be five or six; it's not War and Peace.

Also, I think Jeremy's a little off-base with the tune. Brushfire isn't a merry gay romp in the sunshine, but it's not an emo wallow, either. That's all I'll say at this point. :rolleyes:

I was kinda kidding with that. That tune is perfect for Andy and Matt circa 1998-2000. I like this tune better for Fitz and Jeff:

• 2 weeks later...

Adam fucking Phillips!

I'm so glad you're putting up other stories. I've followed you since that very first chapter of "Crosscurrents" & I've followed your Yahoo group. I'm so, so, so glad you're putting up more stuff for me to read. I've just felt this amazing connection with "Crosscurrents," that it's inspired me to write, not professionally but just as a hobby. Any advice?

Also please, DONT TORTURE ME, and make me wait a summer, a fall, AND a winter for another chapter. You're definitely one of my favorite authors on this site, and I appreciate all of this stuff you put on here!

• Like 1

Hey guys, I made the mistake of trying to correct a mistake in chapter 2 on my smartphone since I'm away from my computer. The result was that it totally fucked up my formatting, so I had to unpublish it. I'll post it again when I get home tonight.

Axe Kilo. God, that takes me back. I also really liked the bit about the vaguely Asian 21-year old college guy who can't stop staring at Fitz's ass, and it's like Jeff feels really proud of the fact that he's got this desirable guy to himself for the night.

I picture Fitz as looking like this Stargate actor named Brian J. Smith. He's got a Southern good ol' boy look to him that I think fits how I think Fitz looks:

stargate-universe.jpg

I don't think Fitz would be like model hot, but hot in this boyish, vaguely red-neck kind of way.

Edited by methodwriter85