When to not drink the water?

this will cost thousands of dollars, teens may be charged

its bad enough in my area a car hit the hydrant and damage a water main causing business in the area that depend on water to shut down for a couple of days ie: star bucks dunkin donuts

Portland to dump 38M gallons of drinking water after teen caught on video urinating into reservoir

Three years ago, the city drained a 7.5-million-gallon reservoir at the same Mount Tabor location in southeast Portland
Urine poses little risk - animals routinely deposit waste without a public health crisis - but authorities don't want to serve deliberately tainted water 
article-2606428-1D295B0E00000578-770_634

Fortunately, the area gets a lot of rain and isn't in a drought, but what stupidity.  I'd hate to be him or his parents, because I'm sure they'll take a lot of heat (probably justified) and possibly have to foot the bill for this action.  

Oh, for crying out loud, it's an open system... Animal defecation is worse than a little human piss in my opinion and that doesn't cause problems. It is an example of perception gone wrong.

• Like 2

fish pooh, animal pooh, bird Pooh, (yes i realize all of the three are classified as animals) dead animals, dead fish, plants matter, including dead leaves from those trees over there, that's all safe and good....

but by god a human peeing in the reservoir now for that we need to drain the entire thing and send it into the ocean...

and the people in every state that doesn't that kind of rain are looking at the people in Portland as if they both lost their mind and in other less safe ways....

sometimes humans are idiots.

...i don't think sometimes is the word...

What a monumental waste of time, money and water! Unless it is pumped from the reservoir directly to the homes without treatment there is no threat to health!

there are many times that it might be pumped directly, by the way did i ever tell you the water 25 miles south of me tastes like mud, it's also pumped from a man made lake that people fish in and camp around.

there are many times that it might be pumped directly, by the way did i ever tell you the water 25 miles south of me tastes like mud, it's also pumped from a man made lake that people fish in and camp around.

Actually, there isn't. not if the water in intended to be what is sometimes known as white/blue water and therefore be drinking water.

Covered storage facilities are the primary source of drinking water, and surface reservoirs are used as backup only. Uncovered reservoirs cannot store potable water without the need for later treatment. This is stated by the MWRA in "Water Supply and Demand" regulations. Nowhere in the "civilised" Western World are you going to find an open reservoir that ships water out for drinking without it going through treatment.

Yes, the water from down the road tastes muddy, same as the water in Brighton is hard and chalky and the water where my parents live is much softer. These are mineral qualities which are affected by where the water falls and where it is stored. it does not mean that it contains mud/chalk or anything else.

Actually, there isn't. not if the water in intended to be what is sometimes known as white/blue water and therefore be drinking water.

Covered storage facilities are the primary source of drinking water, and surface reservoirs are used as backup only. Uncovered reservoirs cannot store potable water without the need for later treatment. This is stated by the MWRA in "Water Supply and Demand" regulations. Nowhere in the "civilised" Western World are you going to find an open reservoir that ships water out for drinking without it going through treatment.

Yes, the water from down the road tastes muddy, same as the water in Brighton is hard and chalky and the water where my parents live is much softer. These are mineral qualities which are affected by where the water falls and where it is stored. it does not mean that it contains mud/chalk or anything else.

I know for a fact Sasha that Conrad pumps their water out of Lake Frances, as for a treatment... to all i know they put chlorine in it, People from that town have been trying for years to hook up to the Tiber Reservoir because lake Frances is down... due to a drought, next you'll say: no where in the western world does anyone live without electricity or the ability to connect it through lines to their homes?

Well, when yuou flush the toilet the water goes to a treatment plant (unless you live in the country and have a septic system)  and the water is released into nature again, eventually going into the drinking water supply.  I don't think there's a lot of danger of getting infected with something bad.  It's just peoples perception.  Seafarers in ancient days used to reuse their urine for obvious reasons.  Occasionally, when it's convenient, I recycle mine on the bushes.  It must be good for them because they look great.

Otherwise, it's treated and filtered water that comes in the house for people to drink.  It's not pure water though.  There are heavy metals and agricultural runoff in it.  The EPA says it's safe, but they say lots of things.  I drink mostly distilled water, so I don't worry a lot about the tap water. 

All in all, some things aren't as bad as others, but the better you can protect yourself the better off you will be.  Our water comes from the rural water system, which get's it's water from a large lake.  There are boats and swimmers and campers all over it, so you know it's getting peed in.  I'm more worried about the heavy metals and ag chemicals than the urine.  Over time those pollutants collect in your body and at some point in the future you have real problems, ones that can't be fixed.

Water is important, and the way things are going it looks like there could even be a few wars fought over it.  In the U.S. it's becoming a problem, and some day it's going to be a crisis.  Unfortunately, most people don't think much about water.  They will be thinking a LOT about it when they can't get any!

• Like 1

I heard on a doco ... no where in the world can you get fresh clean clear drinking water

everything is getting tainted or polluted

gosh the snow caps and the aquifers are the last sources of clean water 

Edited by hh5

I heard on a doco ... no where in the world can you get fresh clean clear drinking water

everything is getting tainted or polluted

gosh the snow caps and the aquifers are the last sources of clean water 

Now the aquifers are being drained, and in the U.S. the Ogallala aquifer is nearly depleted.  This is the water supply that supports crops and communities in the great plains.  It's a serious problem.

The snow that usually falls on the Rocky mountains has basically turned to rain, so now it just runs off.  So the slow thaw that feeds the Colorado and Lake Mead isn't there to keep up with demand, creating a water shortage.

Soon, the authorities will be suggesting urine recycling systems for residents.  Haven't we been on this urine drinking subject already?!  Anyway, the water is running out, so get ready.  When people can't live in the plains any more they are going to move east.  Think about the problems that will create!  Not a happy thought.

I remember either a docu or a movie that showed if a town\city is built on the land it would exhaust the water supply and kill the water table

within a few years (there is no nearby river or dam to supply water that would supply water)

is this water table an aquifer?

Work begins on next phase of Carlsbad's new water project
CARLSBAD >> As Carlsbad continues to grow, the city is upgrading its water infrastructure to handle the uptick in water demand.

Workers began installing new, larger water pipes on U.S. Highway 62-180, also known as Hobbs Highway, in March as part of Phase 2 of the Double Eagle water system overhaul. The work comprises five phases in all, that when complete will significantly improve the amount of water the city can deliver to its customers.

"There is more usage and we're trying to be proactive and look for a secondary source of water," said Luis Camero, the city of Carlsbad director of utilities. "We don't want to be left with only one option on table; we want to have more than just the Capitan Reef."

Water for the city is primarily pumped from the Capitan Reef Basin west of Carlsbad at the Sheep Draw well field. The Double Eagle water system was purchased by the city in 1970 and the water in that area is pumped from the Ogallala aquifer northeast of Carlsbad.

Less than 1 percent of the water used by the city of Carlsbad comes from the Double Eagle according to Camero but that could change. The lengthy drought that has berated the southwestern United States has taxed the Capitan Reef and city officials want a backup plan in case only smaller amounts of water can be pumped.

Edited by hh5

Well, when yuou flush the toilet the water goes to a treatment plant (unless you live in the country and have a septic system)  and the water is released into nature again, eventually going into the drinking water supply.  I don't think there's a lot of danger of getting infected with something bad.  It's just peoples perception.  Seafarers in ancient days used to reuse their urine for obvious reasons.  Occasionally, when it's convenient, I recycle mine on the bushes.  It must be good for them because they look great.

Otherwise, it's treated and filtered water that comes in the house for people to drink.  It's not pure water though.  There are heavy metals and agricultural runoff in it.  The EPA says it's safe, but they say lots of things.  I drink mostly distilled water, so I don't worry a lot about the tap water. 

All in all, some things aren't as bad as others, but the better you can protect yourself the better off you will be.  Our water comes from the rural water system, which get's it's water from a large lake.  There are boats and swimmers and campers all over it, so you know it's getting peed in.  I'm more worried about the heavy metals and ag chemicals than the urine.  Over time those pollutants collect in your body and at some point in the future you have real problems, ones that can't be fixed.

Water is important, and the way things are going it looks like there could even be a few wars fought over it.  In the U.S. it's becoming a problem, and some day it's going to be a crisis.  Unfortunately, most people don't think much about water.  They will be thinking a LOT about it when they can't get any!

:gikkle: Ghost goes outside just to pee on the bushes... lol....

marking your territory Ghost? :P

Edited by Celethiel
  • Like 1

:gikkle: Ghost goes outside just to pee on the bushes... lol....

marking your territory Ghost? :P

I have a large territory, so going home to pee isn't really an option.  I hadn't thought about marking it, but by now it's probably very well mapped out in that sense.  That must be what's been attracting all those cute boys I see on my trail.  :whistle:  Like I've said before, I love walking in the woods, it's so peaceful, and I love nature. 0:)

• Like 1