• Site Administrator

The article was a lot better and very much on-topic because it talked about how he was scared to come out because football was so important to him. He thought he'd lose all his footy mates and wasn't even sure how his twin brother would react. He kept it secret from his twin for years :(

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Thanks, Tim! That article has the same basic information as the one from the Australian newspapers but without the football details and without the same emotional trauma coming over. When I read it in the print version, it was a full page article, with an associated level of detail.

Regarding a visa, under current laws, it's not guaranteed. :( Same-sex marriages performed in other countries are not recognised and it would be up to the immigration department to decide whether to provide an appropriate visa.

• Like 1

That is interesting. I think back in the late 80's Canada modelled it immigration requirements for same sex partners on Australia's which were considered progressive at the time. That came up during the marriage debates here in Canada. It is too bad that Australia has since lagged Canada, Britain, and now even the US. It continues to confound me how we continue to police other people's relationships and "morality".

• Like 1

So I'm planning to get up early tomorrow to get my Leopard fix. Will we being seeing the first round of the finals? Or is there something else happening before that?

I'm not telling.

Get a good night's sleep so you can read refreshed.

Edited by MikeL
  • Like 2

What a lot of ups and downs in Chapter 51!

Dave's delight when his nemesis was arrested   :)   distracted him during Wednesday's practice   :(  but then he came right in the next game.   :) 

Ty had enough self-discipline to cope well with Craig Roach's taunting   :)  but then suffered a knee injury which could seriously affect his future.   :( 

The Sydney Swans told Sam that they were interested in Deon   :)  but joining them would take him away from Clarissa.    :( 

Graeme doesn't give his footballers an easy ride.    :/ 

• Like 1

For those who didn't realise that there's a link embedded in the author's note at the end of chapter 51, here's a video of an AFL player losing his shorts during a match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE0rr2myjU4

Those shorts looked like they were designed to come off. Are we sure he wasn't wearing the stripper version? ;) Edited by impunity
  • Site Administrator

LOL. I suspect that particular pair had a flaw. As the commentators said on that video, they usually don't tear. :P

• Like 1

LOL. I suspect that particular pair had a flaw. As the commentators said on that video, they usually don't tear. :P

That should teach me not to watch videos with the sound off. In my defense, I was in bed and my nice husband was asleep. :)

Chapter 52 is clearly Ty's chapter, or perhaps rather Ty's knee's chapter.  The hyperbaric treatment is surprising, but no doubt Graeme has done his research about that.

It seems that the Carlton club were right to keep their interest in Ty a secret.  The Hawthorn club were interested enough to enquire about his injury, but as luck would have it they were deterred by his father.  Lucky Carlton!  Robert Flanders may deserve someone's gratitude after all.  Of course Patrick O'Malley deserves far more gratitude;  and perhaps after Carlton shows its hand the Leopards should celebrate Patrick in some special way.   We shall see.

Now a minuscule complaint.  Chapters 50-52 have given us a feast of football but a famine of flirting.  Some other sentimental readers also may be hoping for more about Liam & Neil, Deon & Clarissa, Todd & Lorraine, and even Paul & Teresa (Chapters 20 & 29) if he can finally pay off his debt.  Please, Graeme?    :o 

Edited by Ken84050
  • Like 3
  • Site Administrator

Chapter 52 is clearly Ty's chapter, or perhaps rather Ty's knee's chapter.  The hyperbaric treatment is surprising, but no doubt Graeme has done his research about that.

I have a book that was written about Geelong's 2011 premiership winning year. Steve Johnson's knee and rehabilitation was obviously an important part of the lead up to the grand final.

When it comes to injury treatment, at the elite level they don't always follow the normal rules. The recovery time for a dislocated kneecap is generally around six weeks. Steve Johnson did it in six days. The treatment was as specified for Ty: a hyperbaric chamber to get the swelling reduced as quickly as possible, followed by painkiller injections to allow him to play. Ty started his walking on Thursday morning. Steve Johnson started his on Wednesday night.

Now a minuscule complaint.  Chapters 50-52 have given us a feast of football but a famine of flirting.  Some other sentimental readers also may be hoping for more about Liam & Neil, Deon & Clarissa, Todd & Lorraine, and even Paul & Teresa (Chapters 20 & 29) if he can finally pay off his debt.  Please, Graeme?    :o

The rest of the story is now written, so I'm afraid you'll have to wait and see. Yes, this part of the story has a heavy football content, but that's also where the players have most of their attention. They're in the finals and they're trying their hardest to make it to the grand final...and then to win.

EDIT TO ADD:

Some links regarding Steve Johnson and that Geelong grand final:

Wikipedia entry that mentions the hyperbaric chamber: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Johnson_%28Australian_footballer%29#2011

News report on the grand final: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-02/cats-steve-johnson-defies-the-sceptics/3205394

Now we all need to wait and see if Ty can following in Steve Johnson's footsteps, or if he has his own path to follow :P

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 3
  • Site Administrator

On a side matter, there's been a lot of controversy and debate over the last week due to one of the Sydney Swans AFL players withdrawing from this weekend's game and is reported to be considering his retirement. Why? Because of the constant booing of opposition fans at him.

That mightn't sound like much, but when you include the fact that Adam Goodes is aboriginal, and proud of that fact, the behaviour of the opposition fans takes on a racist tone.

While various members of the media debate whether the booing is racist or not, the AFL community has come out strongly in support of Adam Goodes. I won't bother listing all the relevant articles that start with statements from the AFL CEO and proceed downwards, but I'll highlight one. An open letter, signed by the captains of all eighteen AFL clubs includes the following paragraphs:

Enough is enough. Enjoy the game, celebrate the success. But don't boo, jeer or taunt players because of who they are or what they stand for.

We're all human. We're all in this together. And together we can make a difference. 

We encourage supporters to demonstrate zero tolerance and report any behaviour which vilifies a person on the basis of their personal characteristics, such as race, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I'll repeat: this letter was signed by the captains of every single AFL club. I don't believe this is lip-service. From what I've read, this letter was organised with the assistance of the AFL Players Association in response to literally hundreds of current AFL players saying that they wanted to do something to show their support for Adam Goodes and to oppose the abuse he has been receiving. The players are very much against racism, and I believe they'll do the same about homophobic when an AFL player finally comes out of the closet.

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 5

Just dropping by to say that I keep enjoying this story very much, even though I don't comment or review as much as I should.

A new chapter is always the highlight of my Saturday morning :)

I know it's all written now, but I do hope for a positive outcome for most if not all characters involved (well... except Ty's dad...).

• Like 3

I know it's all written now, but I do hope for a positive outcome for most if not all characters involved (well... except Ty's dad...).

Well, there's good and then there's entertaining. I'm definitely hoping for entertaining when it comes to Ty's dad. :devil:

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I am huge huge huge fan of yours for your "Heart of the Tree"...

And I had read some other stories of yours too.. I am definitely gonna read this story too... :) :)

Thank you! :boy: As impunity suggested, Leopard Skin Cover should be read first. Leopard Spots contains some major spoilers for the first book so it wouldn't be the same if you read them in reverse order. Happily, Leopard Skin Cover is considerably shorter than Leopard Spots :D