Anyone here love fried seafood?

I know the British are famous for their Fish and Chips, but how many people have had perfectly fried clams, fresh and succulent fried oysters, and Fried Lobster that can only be from a New England joint.

While steaming seafood is well known and accepted part of New England restaurants, Fried seafood is more of an acquired taste.

Now I know some of you are healthy eaters or think I am a barbarian for dismembering an innocent lobster (I saw the movement of his pincers, he'd claw my balls off if given the chance :P )

However, seeing is believing, so I give you some pictures of Fried seafood:

Tell me this doesn't make your mouth water

P6220287.JPG

• Like 3

I know the British are famous for their Fish and Chips, but how many people have had perfectly fried clams, fresh and succulent fried oysters, and Fried Lobster that can only be from a New England joint.

While steaming seafood is well known and accepted part of New England restaurants, Fried seafood is more of an acquired taste.

Now I know some of you are healthy eaters or think I am a barbarian for dismembering an innocent lobster (I saw the movement of his pincers, he'd claw my balls off if given the chance :P )

However, seeing is believing, so I give you some pictures of Fried seafood:

Tell me this doesn't make your mouth water

P6220287.JPG

I'll be honest.  I'm an addict and not afraid to say it. :)  Fried shrimp and calamari rock!

• Like 1

Growing up in New England and spending a significant amount of time on Long Island as well, seafood was always a summer staple. Clams, scallops, lobster, cod, salmon, and swordfish were constantly served hot off the grill or the boiling pot for BBQ get-togethers and the like. 

It obviously tastes even better fried, but its horribly unhealthy and I try to avoid it as much as I can. 

To me, this (swordfish) is more mouth-watering then fried seafood.

swordfish-honey-dijon-14559031.jpg

• Like 3

I love fried shrimp, fried clams and fried fish, but only enjoy it occasionally, since it isn't good for me.  I can eat it, just not fried.  I wish that weren't the case, but it seems as if most things I enjoy are bad for me, one way or another. 

Two words: Popcorn Shrimp! :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I have a horrible allergic reaction to the bivalve family, deep fried or otherwise. Doesn't mean I didn't like them; how else would I find out. :(

When southnerers die, we are lowered into a fryer. :)

New Orleans chefs fry everything- shrimp, oysters (when we don't serve them raw), scallops, fish, hush puppies and soft shelled crabs.

I just had fish and chips in Crescent City California. It's different, but I like it.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 4

Love seafood in any and every form! Steamed, fried, boiled,grilled - I don't think I have found a way to serve shellfish that I didn't care for.

My favorite lobster restaurant is not even inside a building, it is a barge on a Massachusetts  back water that you get to down a very steep flight of wooden stairs. The lobster boats pull right up to replenish the barges live holding tanks, you choose your meal from the tanks and they take them into the kitchen at the other end of the barge to cook 'em. The center of the barge deck is covered with picnic tables, and if they do not sell something you are more than welcome to bring it with you.  I have been to BYOB restaurants before, but this was the first time I had ever been to an eating establishment that was bring your own potato salad!

our friend made us deep froed mackeral yesterday. it was bliss.

I make tempura prawns for my husband, even though I'm allergic (Aren't I the nicest cowboy?), and we fry calamari on a fairly regular basis.

Best place for a lobster is at the bottom of the ocean, wandering around and doing whatever the heck it is that lobsters do.

For the fried fish lovers here, I suggest trying fried flounder.

It's a really juicy fish

Here's a Before and After image:

(I hate the little mermaid by the way :P )

mascota_dev.gif

Chinese Fried Flounder, we call it the dragon fish, which you can eat bones and scales with the method that we deep fried it.

5420398294_08c443dc51_z.jpg

My sister use to eat squid rings (crumbed and fried squid) all the time, the smell makes me want to vomit and I think she use to eat them just to annoy me :P

Before I became a vegetarian, I loved crab sticks (mashed up crab crumbed and fried) seriously the best thing from the fish and chip store.

Fried prawns are great as well.

I grew up in New Orleans where seafood was the standard Friday meal in a Catholic family in (at that time) basically a Catholic city. Fried shrimp, oysters, soft shell crabs, fish (usually catfish or codfish cakes). Still enjoy fried seafood on occasion, although not nearly as much as when growing up in N.O.

I dunno about fried seafood....so theres fried everything everywhere, I always liked my seafood on the fresher light side or it defeats the purpose of seafood for me...if I wanted fried junk, if go with fried chicken, hash brown, okra or fried everything else that's readily available....I like seafood in other ways.

• Site Administrator

I don't eat fish, or other seafood aside from octopus or shrimp. I do like beer battered prawns the best, though coconut battered butterfly shrimp is good too. Octopus is best just lightly smoked with butter--no frying, imo.

I dunno about fried seafood....so theres fried everything everywhere, I always liked my seafood on the fresher light side or it defeats the purpose of seafood for me...if I wanted fried junk, if go with fried chicken, hash brown, okra or fried everything else that's readily available....I like seafood in other ways.

You'd love a New England clam bake :D

Steamed seafood is fine, I love raw oysters on the shell as well, but I also love fried oysters too.

For people, who don't like fried seafood, one of the things I noticed in traveling for work and pleasure is that a lot of the seafood people eat around the country is frozen and re-fried. Fried clams in other parts of the country taste like cardboard compared to New England Fried Clams. The best lobster shacks and restaurants in New England are only open during the summer season, when fresh seafood can be procured, so when they fry it, it is fresh and there is no lost in taste or texture during the frying process.

I got my parents to try fried clams the other day and being traditionally Chinese, they prefer their seafood "fresh" or in their words "sien". Even they liked it and were surprised at how fresh it was. Of course I paid around $50 for 2 large baskets of Fried Clams and $30 for a large fried Oysters, but it was worth every penny. Despite the costs, the line was stretching outside the door into the parking lot and it was a cash only business (No credit card processing, so any family eating there had to have at least 100.00 in their wallet).

And here I sit thinking that I was the only one who grew up on fried seafood every Saturday.  My grandmother was a fiend about frying, to the absolute horror of my somewhat snobbish parents.  I guess that's why I spent so much time with my grandparents, LOL

• Like 1

Flounder

3 or 4 flounder fillets(thawed, not frozen)

1 tbl olive oil

2 teaspoons black pepper

juice of a squeezed lemon

Pepper the fillets

Put oil in skillet

Heat pan to medium

Add filets

Put lemon juice in

Cook till done- you'll know when

Calamari is another really good fried seafood. The best calamari I ever had was on vacation in St. Thomas from this little shack restaurant tucked away from the main road that had an absolutely beautiful view overlooking one of the bays. It was dirt cheap too, like $7 for a large basket. That was 9 years ago, and I'm determined to get back there before I die. :P

speaking of seafood....i still dont' get the whole "i don't eat meat but i'll eat fish" deal with the weird people...

Fish is healthier.  It has omega group and less cholestrols.

speaking of seafood....i still dont' get the whole "i don't eat meat but i'll eat fish" deal with the weird people...

Fish is healthier.  It has omega group and less cholestrols.

For some it may be a health issue, cutting red meat due to cholesterol or digestive issues. For others its more of a moral thing, and there are degrees there as well. Vegetarians will sometimes eat eggs and milk products as no creatures are killed to obtain them. Still others go with no animal products at all.  Vegans need to be very careful about supplementing their diets properly. It is conceivable that a vegan can eat till he/she is stuffed full 4 meals a day and still starve to death as they don't get enough essential oils and fats in their diets.