The Love Song of Lenny Bradshaw by Bryce Lee

The character that you site was highly self-absorbed and a user of people. She killed a guy early on, sewed him back together with other frat-guy parts that she liked better (like a bigger yooohooo), and reanimated him. Then knowing that her witchy-school rival liked this Frankenstein boy, she seduced him and tried to make him her sexual thrall. Madison was quite the character! I don't remember a moment in the series when she acted like she cared about anyone but herself. I may be wrong, and you can remind me if i have forgotten.

Sophia is not nearly that that bad. Just a messed-up girl, probably needing love like the rest of us.    

I should've pointed out that the sweetest moments of Madison Montgomery's character was her interactions with Nan. She always called Nan bad names but she was the one always going with her to the hospital or over to see Luke.

I should've pointed out that the sweetest moments of Madison Montgomery's character was her interactions with Nan. She always called Nan bad names but she was the one always going with her to the hospital or over to see Luke.

Ah yes. See, I had forgotten about that. BTW, I thought for sure Luke was going to come out to Nan, but I guess he never got around to it before his crazy mother tried to enema the gay away, and killed him.     

• Like 1

If you reflect on what I am saying, you will get it.

Why did Tate lay hands on his bf? Because his bf's bff was in TATE'S room defiling it with opposite-sexed nastiness (the ultimate invasion of any Gay person's personal space!).  She did that. Sophia did that. I ask you to think why..? I would posit the most plausible motivation would be for her to maintain tension between Casey and Tate. She feeds off of others despair, and seem to be willing to create it, at least in the case of Casey. This is a person Tate asked Casey not to bring to his house, and he did, and she 'did it' within the first 10 mins of being there - she ran to Tate's bedroom with the first guy she found. I think you or I would be equally upset in such a situation. Tate's reaction, at least on an emotional level, is super easy to relate to. It's how any of us would feel at the same moment, however, how he acted - that is a different matter.

Reread the text. It is all there. At this point I will await further evidence from upcoming chapters, and set Sophia aside. She's really not worth all the effort. lol

And thank you Irritable1 for a lively debate. I know I have not won you over ; -)    

She feeds off of others' despair? What is she, a Dementor? 

And look, I've never been in the position of having to find a place to boink in a frat house, but I can't imagine I'd check WHOSE room it was. I put it down to an unfortunate coincidence. Nor does the reader know yet WHY Tate dislikes her. As long as we're speculating wildly, how do you know it's not because her fierce sexuality attracts him away from the more cerebral Casey? Hmmmm?

Edit: Did you say, "Enema the gay away"? what the hell kind of show WAS this??

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2

She feeds off of others' despair? What is she, a Dementor? 

And look, I've never been in the position of having to find a place to boink in a frat house, but I can't imagine I'd check WHOSE room it was. I put it down to an unfortunate coincidence. Nor does the reader know yet WHY Tate dislikes her. As long as we're speculating wildly, how do you know it's not because her fierce sexuality attracts him away from the more cerebral Casey? Hmmmm?

Edit: Did you say, "Enema the gay away"? what the hell kind of show WAS this??

Long story short, there was a fundamentalist Christian played by the wonderful Patti Lupone and her son who moved next door to the witches. She punished her son by giving him a Clorox enema. Yeah ... I can't even began to explain it.

In Chapter Eleven: City Love: Both Casey Beaumont and Lucas Lamontagne drive to Casey's hometown of Chattanooga, Tennessee which is coincidentally my hometown and current city. Here is some links to a couple of the places mentioned in the story.

The Big River Grille in Downtown, Chattanooga.

Coolidge Park.

The Walnut Street Bridge.

The Southern Belle.

:o

Yes! Nothing else says love like a Clorox enema does!

Ah yes. See, I had forgotten about that. BTW, I thought for sure Luke was going to come out to Nan, but I guess he never got around to it before his crazy mother tried to enema the gay away, and killed him.     

I never thought of Luke Ramsey as gay. But I guess one could argue that no man could endure such religious dogma and mother issues the way a gay could. I did like how they cultivated this sweet relationship between two very unlikely character. Then again I once read somewhere that even though the actress playing Nan had Down's syndrome, that didn't necessarily mean that the character of Nan had Down's syndrome. If that was the case than that's pretty awesome.

See Al? Sweet Lucas agrees with me about Tater!

Edit: and you know what, no one who has gone down on a clown, literally, as Tate has done, and I'm not even going to talk about reciprocity here because I'll give myself nightmares, is in any position to judge my Sophia. Hah!

See, this is what happens when you get me all partisan.

Edit2.... Oh now wait...could that be where the intensity is coming from? Tate has been where Sophia is?

This is such a great story, Bryce!

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

Hey Bryce...I am just going to be short and sweet...really great chapter...I looovvvvve Lucas and I find the way you write amazing...Orange ball falling into a bruised sky...enough said...cheers...Gary

• Like 1

Bryce, in response to my review for chapter 10, you wrote the following:

"Tate never told Casey to keep Sophia way."

Um, I am just a hapless reader, you'll have to forgive me :), but all I have to go on it what you 'show' in the book (and not what you may 'tell' us about it outside of the chapter in question).

This is what you show us in chapter 10:

“I thought I told you not to bring her,” Tate hissed.

Casey had never witnessed such intensity in the other man. Such venom in his voice.

“W-What are you talking about?” he stammered.

“That friend of yours is upstairs in my bedroom sucking some guy off,” Tate spoke. “I told you not to bring that slut.”

So, all a reader should know at this point is that Tate asked him not to bring Sophia. It is very easy to 'show' us that Tate is off base, or confused, or – something. All you have to do is have Casey say at that moment:

“No you didn't!"

That would raise all the reasonable doubt needed to tip Tate back into the 'horrible boyfriend' column. But the way you left it, there's no reason to suspect that Casey did not willfully avoid his fella's request not to bring around a person who hates Tate.

On a different point, lol – if Lucas loves little kids enough to want to be a kindergarten teacher – which is not an easy job – it is highly implausible that he will not want to be around his nieces and nephews to 'enjoy' them. With the way you have set Lucas up as a person, his avoiding checking in on his little brother every chance he gets seems way out of character too. Of course, that's my take on him. Perhaps you show us more information later, like this avoidance of home is based on another aspect of his family life that we don't know about yet. That could be, but it would have to be very bad to loosen the ties that bind him to Pierre and to the younger members of his clan.

And, no one wants to spend time in the dorm, alone, during holidays. If they do, that's because the loneliness there is the lesser of the two evils, and home is not a good place to be at all. Voice of experience here, I've been there… 

Edited by AC Benus

I never thought of Luke Ramsey as gay. But I guess one could argue that no man could endure such religious dogma and mother issues the way a gay could. I did like how they cultivated this sweet relationship between two very unlikely character. Then again I once read somewhere that even though the actress playing Nan had Down's syndrome, that didn't necessarily mean that the character of Nan had Down's syndrome. If that was the case than that's pretty awesome.

And actually you said the selfish girl was nice because she went to the boy's house with Nan. In reality, Madison went there to bed him! To take him away from Nan, but of course, he didn't want any of the girls at all, lol   

Edited by AC Benus

On a different point, lol – if Lucas loves little kid enough to want to be a kindergarten teacher – which is not an easy job – it is highly implausible that he will not want to be around his nieces and nephews to 'enjoy' them. 

Nuh-uh :P  Kindergarten teachers get to discipline the kids, and go home at the end of the day. They're not living in a welter of wild-eyed 6 year olds in a small space, 24/7. There's nothing weird about wanting to avoid that.

Edit: besides Lucas DOES have a reason for staying away, his ex-girlfriend.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2

Nuh-uh :P  Kindergarten teachers get to discipline the kids, and go home at the end of the day. They're not living in a welter of wild-eyed 6 year olds in a small space, 24/7. There's nothing weird about wanting to avoid that.

Edit: besides Lucas DOES have a reason for staying away, his ex-girlfriend.

His ex, which we only know about starting in chapter 11, has moved away now that she is married. And besides, she was near his grandparents' home, not his parents' house.

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

Here is a list of the songs mentioned in The Love Song of Lenny Bradshaw. Music is one of my greatest passions. Since Casey is loosely based on myself, a lot of his music taste are based on my own music taste.

Music of The Love Song of Lenny Bradshaw

Chapter One: Back to School:

This is the song Casey and his dad, Hugh, are listening to on the drive to Kennedy State University.

Buddy Holly and the Crickets:

Chapter Three: The Mod Squad:

This is the song Casey is singing in the shower in the dream sequence with Lenny.

Gotye [featuring Kimbra]:

Chapter Four: What Does the Fox Say?:

This is the song Fox plays for Casey after the girls leave.

The Postal Service:

Chapter Six: Rainy Days and Mondays:

This is the song Casey is listening to on his way from class to the cafe.

Portishead:

Chapter Ten: Whiskey Girl:

Lucas is a big Blink 182 fan. This is the song he is listening to while he is working on his mid-term paper.

Blink 182:

Chapter Eleven: City Love:

On their way to Chattanooga, Tennessee for the start of fall break, Lucas and Casey are listening to a playlist called Road Trip 2013

Redbone: Come and Get Your Love

Chapter Eleven: City Love:

On their way to Chattanooga, Tennessee for the start of fall break, Lucas and Casey are listening to a playlist called Road Trip 2013. One of Lucas's favorite songs.

Charlie Rich: Behind Closed Doors

Chapter Twelve: A House is Not a Home

Casey's ringtone for Tate Kiplinger is :

Carole King: It's Too Late

With the utmost respect for Casey: he changed Tate's ring to It's Too Late without even talking to him? Is that not a trifle... passive-aggressive?  :blink: Why not just block the guy's calls? 

My sympathies are veering round...

• Like 1

So some of you are curious as to how the characters look or who they are based on. I have posted some links to pictures of actors/actresses whom the characters are based on:

Casey Beaumont (actor Dylan O'Brien from Teen Wolf)

Hugh Beaumont [Patrick Warburton from Seinfeld]

Sophia Winter [Holland Roden from Teen Wolf]

Michaela Roy [bre Scullark from Cycle 5 from America's Next Top Model]

Lucas Lamontagne [Max Adler from Glee & Switched at Birth]

Chandler Bloom [actor Ben Whishaw from Skyfall]

Fox Winter [actor Stephen Strait from Sky High]

Mari Bradshaw [actress India Eisley from The Secret Life of the American Teenager]

Here's going for realness I guess. LoL.

Bryce, in response to my review for chapter 10, you wrote the following:

"Tate never told Casey to keep Sophia way."

Um, I am just a hapless reader, you'll have to forgive me :), but all I have to go on it what you 'show' in the book (and not what you may 'tell' us about it outside of the chapter in question).

This is what you show us in chapter 10:

“I thought I told you not to bring her,” Tate hissed.

Casey had never witnessed such intensity in the other man. Such venom in his voice.

“W-What are you talking about?” he stammered.

“That friend of yours is upstairs in my bedroom sucking some guy off,” Tate spoke. “I told you not to bring that slut.”

So, all a reader should know at this point is that Tate asked him not to bring Sophia. It is very easy to 'show' us that Tate is off base, or confused, or – something. All you have to do is have Casey say at that moment:

“No you didn't!"

That would raise all the reasonable doubt needed to tip Tate back into the 'horrible boyfriend' column. But the way you left it, there's no reason to suspect that Casey did not willfully avoid his fella's request not to bring around a person who hates Tate. 

Funny how you can get two opposite opinions from reading the same lines. My take was that Tate 'thought' he had told Casey this, but obviously he hasn't. I mean how likely is it that Casey would forget about or deliberately ignore such a request from his boyfriend ? No this is Tate being fucking unreasonable, and Casey is so shocked he can't even protest the unfairness of the whole thing.

I hope he NEVER talks to Tate again except to tell him to fuck off.

• Like 2

On a different point, lol – if Lucas loves little kid enough to want to be a kindergarten teacher – which is not an easy job – it is highly implausible that he will not want to be around his nieces and nephews to 'enjoy' them.

Absolutely dead on Irri. :lol:

And if Luke's nephews and nieces are obnoxious and their parents get annoyed if he points this out, all the more reason to stay away, so that he isn't discouraged from his dream of becoming a kindergarten teacher.

• Like 2

Oh I didn't see you left this, AC:

"Oh dear, this is so deeply sad."

Just the whole thing. Looking at the entry written by someone who's been rejected by his family and is about to die. And then this:

His wife and kids will be gone for the weekend visiting her sister in Tuscaloosa. I’m really excited to see him. It’s been a month and honestly it would be nice to talk to him in private without using Skype. He says he has something for me. A little souvenir from Paris. The last time we talked, I told him how it was a dream of mine to someday go to Paris, to see the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe. Visit the Louvre. Visit Jim Morrison’s grave. He said he would take me there after I graduate. What better incentive to get my degree? He says he will be divorced by then and that the dust would be settled. Once I graduate, we’d fly to Paris and stay there for a couple of weeks. He has an apartment there. I would write all day and then we would dress up and we would ride into town and dine at these really fancy restaurants. After our time there he says we would come back and I would move in with him. I wouldn’t have to worry at all about returning home and having to move back in with my parents.

He says he will be divorced by then. God, poor Lenny, I didn't want to read that line because I knew I'd tear up again  :,(

But the reason I am here is not to cry but to say BRYCE YOU TEASE, HE'S BEEN READING FOR THREE DAYS and not ONE HINT? that's just cold.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2

Bryce, I would leave a review for Chapter 15, but I believe you are going to update it, and since I have only 'review to live,' I am going to wait.

I want you to know that I think it is an interesting and ambitious POV that you are trying in Demi-gods and Monsters, and I support it fully.

I also want you to know that I am really looking forward to the Halloween chapter, but that you already knew :) 

• Like 1

Hi Bryce

I just read your most recent chapter (the Halloween 2012 one). You need to fix it, because the text is one long solid block and it's almost impossible to read. Don't know what went wrong. And was Tate dressed as Freddy Kruger and who is he ?

• Like 2