Yeah Tim, I was curious about the whys of what was going on so I reread the first two chapters. All we know about the drug is that it cures his head pain and is illegal. I am thinking that when the pain gets to horrendous levels, Costa loses the grip on his controls, and since he can affect any device with a binary code, his loss of control scrambled Mrs Claus for a bit. That is not a good scenario if it happens at the wrong time. As far as the Private Message, I am wondering if the drug produces euphoria that cancels out his inhibitions or did the pain recede enough that Costa plans to teach Priest a lesson and sent the message to confuse Priest. Maybe I have to go back and read Ones and Zeros again. It is a great story so far..cheers...Gary

• Like 2

Actually we know a bit more about Calm than you seem to think Gary. Ones and Zeros gives a pretty good description of the intended uses and the possible misuses. What it doesn't cover is the possibility of it turning out to be addictive when not strictly controlled (similar to opiates - great medicinal values when controlled properly, wickedly addictive if abused).

And then there is the whole list of questions about Costa's background.  How did he circumvent the completed "incineration order". Was the video feed a plant to make his brother think him dead? What about Pol? Did he survive that revolution and the counter revolution he set off? How did Costa camouflage the bone deep permanent id number on his face? One would think that tech producing that permanent a marking would prevent the alteration of it as well. Has Costa made any attempt to find Pol? Will he? 

**Looks for a notebook to start writing all these questions down so I can double check later and make sure Mann doesn't miss answering a few**

• Like 3

Actually we know a bit more about Calm than you seem to think Gary. Ones and Zeros gives a pretty good description of the intended uses and the possible misuses. What it doesn't cover is the possibility of it turning out to be addictive when not strictly controlled (similar to opiates - great medicinal values when controlled properly, wickedly addictive if abused).

And then there is the whole list of questions about Costa's background.  How did he circumvent the completed "incineration order". Was the video feed a plant to make his brother think him dead? What about Pol? Did he survive that revolution and the counter revolution he set off? How did Costa camouflage the bone deep permanent id number on his face? One would think that tech producing that permanent a marking would prevent the alteration of it as well. Has Costa made any attempt to find Pol? Will he? 

**Looks for a notebook to start writing all these questions down so I can double check later and make sure Mann doesn't miss answering a few**

Yeah Kitt,

I reread Ones and Zeros which stimulates more questions. Obviously Costa had some plan in motion but we don't know how he managed it. Pol probably couldn't read him because he was already in cryo-sleep or stasis and on his way to A-C. We don't know if the calm he is using is original or black market with it's horny side effects. As far as the id number, Costa could fool with any scanners, or maybe because of the annihilation of Para-humans, nobody bothers to check, considering cheek tattoos have become a trend. Another question is whether Costa is the only Para left or are there any more...possibly even Pol. Like you I am intrigued, and apparently Mann is evilly enjoying this :huh::rolleyes: .Cheers...Gary

• Like 3

Is Costa really Pol?

OMG...don't do this to me! It would explain so much...but my gut says no...Pol was too timid to act like Costa is acting...yet he did take on Costa's persona in order to have the strength to carry out his rebellion...Argggghhh...more questions!! Brilliant hypothesis Impunity!

• Like 2

Since Costas was murdered and incinerated in Ones and Zeros, does anyone else suspect he is in reality the brother borrowing the name? After all Poll was in the Hub when the shit hit the fan!

Oh, and all of you who don't like Priest, I'll take him thank you very much! Annyone up for poker Thursday night? House rules!

• Like 2

Another great chapter Mr. Ramblings! I find myself wondering if Costa is a different person when he is on Calm(if it is black market stuff...it should make him more sexual) and is he on it pretty much all the time to combat his headaches? He may be a very difficult guy to figure out for both the crew and the reader. Does the Calm allow him to be more himself or does it change him from the real Costa? He is an extremely interesting character and I am looking forward to figuring him out. The scene between Priest and Arbor was hot and brilliant. I think Arbor needed so badly to have this for his confidence and self esteem. It was really cute how he was concerned what Priest would tell others on board about his prowess. He is achingly sweet with his little stuffed toy his mom made him as a child. Touches like that give such insights....Kudos and thanks...another chapter worth the wait...cheers...Gary

• Like 1

So naughty - Costa cheating to make Priest lose. :evil:  :gikkle:  But I shan't mind since it meant the game ended as I predicted. :P

Arbor won fair and square, so claiming his prize was cool, although pulling Priest along by his intimate parts was not nice. I'm surprised Priest accepted it with such good grace.

I have the feeling Priest will be more than happy to spread the word of Arbor's prowess, since he can turn it into a boast that he was the first to sample his charms. But in the long run Arbor will find it difficult to maintain a top only position. I wonder who will be the first to make him trust him enough to accept being made love to. Costa, perhaps ?

• Like 1

You're going to ruin my Saturday evenings at the Ramrod at this pace....

Carlos: Ooops, sorry man, need to get home.

Inked Hairy Dude: What the fuck, it's only midnight. It's fucking early, the place is still half empty. What are you Cinderella? Is the Harley going to turn into a squash or something?

Carlos: Actually, need to go check on my favorite Mann. He always shows up just after midnight on Saturdays. 

:rofl:

• Like 4

This chapter was really great. 

Arbor won fair and square, so claiming his prize was cool, although pulling Priest along by his intimate parts was not nice. I'm surprised Priest accepted it with such good grace.

I was surprised by this too. Was it because he was too  uncomfortable to take Priest's hand especially given their height difference? or is he, secretly, just that dominant?

• Like 2

Irritable, I wasn't surprised at all. Think of how Mann has portrayed other dominant characters in his stories.

The Napoleonic complex many short males display would probably be even more noticeable in a dwarf. Priest is just a happy-go-lucky player, if tonight it means he's manhandled and made to bottom that would probably be just fine with him. He may appear all rough and tough but I always had the feeling he was just as happy on top as on the bottom. Remember he got double fucked when he first tried to cheat using the remote and was caught.

• Like 3

This chapter was really great. 

I was surprised by this too. Was it because he was too  uncomfortable to take Priest's hand especially given their height difference? or is he, secretly, just that dominant?

Arbor's antics could have just been a moment of playful over-excitement. Leading him through the hall like a trophy may not have been the smartest move, Priest was clearly a little embarrassed by it, but they managed to have fun regardless. What could go wrong?

• Like 2

I'm going to venture two predictions:

1. Costa went home alone after making sure of his desired outcome of the game.

2. Priest helps Arbor reconfigure his room to be more accessible.

Small things, but I really want both of them to be true. :yes:

• Like 3

Impunity I vote no on 1 and yes on 2 LOL

it would be good for Arbor to slowly accept that the environment on the ship is supportive and that he doesn't have to prove himself constantly.

Re #1, I enjoy a hot sex scene as much as the next person, but I think a random hook-up would be out of character for Costa. From what we've seen, I think he's too careful to put himself in so vulnerable a position with someone he doesn't know.

Completely in agreement re Arbor. :)

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2

I'm going to venture two predictions:

Small things, but I really want both of them to be true. :yes:

I vote Yes on 1, I really do think there was an intervention by Costa in Arbour's favor.

2.  Maybe, but the little guy may be too touchy to allow it.......

• Like 2

What could go wrong?

Um  :unsure:  I guess we'll wait for you to tell us  :P

The Napoleonic complex many short males display would probably be even more noticeable in a dwarf

HEY NOW  :angry:  Though in fairness maybe I just don't notice Mr. Irri's because I'm even shorter and bossier :P  I like to call mine the Josephine complex.

Small things, but I really want both of them to be true.  :yes:

100% with you on both. I really, really like Priest for noticing the difficulty Arbor was having. For me it almost makes up for all the cheating at cards.

Edit: I almost get the impression Costa's too ill to hook up with anyone. Which can't be true, because he's hoping to make a new life for himself on the new planet, right, but he does seem to have a lot of issues to manage...

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 3

Y'all are too damn prudish! Let poor Costas have a good roll in the hay and blow off some steam. Blue Balls are not pretty, if you don't have them ask a friend! the man is single and he should mingle, that bullshit about abstinence until marriage is just Republican/Fundamentalist propaganda!   :off:  OOOOPS got carried away there.

I am slightly over 6 feet both my brothers are under 5'9". I grew up surrounded by Napoleonic complex sufferers. True, they were always more diligent than I was at the gym but that was a way to compensate  :gikkle:

A Fuck A Week keeps the Blue Balls Away

• Like 3