• 2 weeks later...

Well, as is my want (lol), now that I have created this forum as a total fan of the work, I'd like to make the first posting too!

This book has a special, and somewhat difficult quality to pin down. There are many currents of emotions here, but these seem to flow somewhat sluggishly through the first-person narration of Russell. He feels, especially at the beginning, that he is not a very interesting person, and that he regards himself with near-contempt as someone left behind. This narrative tone changes in the skilled hands of our author, so that after he admits to himself and Jacob that he is in love, Russell's voice begins to ring clearer and clearer. A joy creeps into it, and that joy is captivating.

I agree with most of your points. I don't, however, find Russell boring or feel he has contempt for himself. I find him to have a terrible self-worth yes, but not because he was left behind. It seemed to have started long before his illness. He always felt he was the boring or lesser twin. I think he felt overshadowed by his brother but was content with that because of his introverted nature. As for boring, I rather find him fascinating. Because of the way Timothy allows us into his mind I love how he reveled in Jacobs yammering on about all subjects as they took their walks, whether he was interested or not he basked in the interaction for what it was - Jacob being outgoing and he being introverted but both being okay with it. I can relate to that. As a talkative extrovert, my husband has many times let me talk without really listening. I think we both know when it happens but it is okay. He doesn't mind listening and I need to get it out. It works when the personalities mesh. I also find it fascinating that he has spent so much time in his own head and couldn't work out he was gay by the age of 18. I can see how he could have not known about his brother or Jacob, we see what others want us to.

Thanks for starting the forum even if I am late to the game.

• Like 4

I agree with most of your points. I don't, however, find Russell boring or feel he has contempt for himself. I find him to have a terrible self-worth yes, but not because he was left behind. It seemed to have started long before his illness. He always felt he was the boring or lesser twin. I think he felt overshadowed by his brother but was content with that because of his introverted nature. As for boring, I rather find him fascinating. Because of the way Timothy allows us into his mind I love how he reveled in Jacobs yammering on about all subjects as they took their walks, whether he was interested or not he basked in the interaction for what it was - Jacob being outgoing and he being introverted but both being okay with it. I can relate to that. As a talkative extrovert, my husband has many times let me talk without really listening. I think we both know when it happens but it is okay. He doesn't mind listening and I need to get it out. It works when the personalities mesh. I also find it fascinating that he has spent so much time in his own head and couldn't work out he was gay by the age of 18. I can see how he could have not known about his brother or Jacob, we see what others want us to.

Thanks for starting the forum even if I am late to the game.

Well, I'm glad you joined the forum, and naturally, personal opinions are the lifeblood of discourse.

That being said, when I wrote "he feels he is not a very interesting person," I was clearly not making a personal statement.

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

Well, I'm glad you joined the forum, and naturally, personal opinions are the lifeblood of discourse.

That being said, when I wrote "he feels he is not a very interesting person," I was clearly not making a personal statement.

LOL, I wanted to make the same reply, but thought I'd leave it to you, AC.

But I'm glad to be reminded of your initial very observant statement of how the telling of the story reflects Russell's mental state. I feel this has actually become more true with every chapter, without me doing it intentionally.  

Edited by Timothy M.

I don't know - with phrases like "somewhat sluggishly through the first-person narration of Russell" I got the impression you found Russell boring too - at least initially.

Welcome to the CC forum pzette3. You'll do just fine here with your ability to find pictures of hot blonde men. They're the author's kryptonite. ;)

• Like 4

They are adorable!  I am adding some twins too. I looked and looked for readheads but couldn't find any with puppy faces!

I know right? I thought the one on the right reminded me of Russell. Still a baby face, but so cute and Evan on the left with the leaner face

I cannot figure out how to post the pics themselves but here is my vision of the twins. Not as redheaded as I wanted but definitely the boyish puppy faces I see in my head with I read this amazing story.

http://mensstyledaily.com/?p=28#jp-carousel-35

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/jack-harries-and-finn-harries-attend-the-casio-london-store-news-photo/168314474

• Like 1

I cannot figure out how to post the pics themselves but here is my vision of the twins. Not as redheaded as I wanted but definitely the boyish puppy faces I see in my head with I read this amazing story.

http://mensstyledaily.com/?p=28#jp-carousel-35

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/jack-harries-and-finn-harries-attend-the-casio-london-store-news-photo/168314474

They're both cute :)

• 2 weeks later...

These people have clearly not read CC or they would know all about smørrebrød and remoulade. :rofl:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/marietelling/we-asked-non-danes-to-react-to-photos-of-danish-stuff-and-th#.ht7e2LQG1y

Edit: found this also http://www.buzzfeed.com/marietelling/37-reasons-why-demark-will-ruin-you-for-life#.wxWxympdPO

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

The pictures are gorgeous! I have to get there some day.

• Like 2

Wow... amazing! Fredericksborg Castle to the little 'hobbit' cottage... what a beautiful country....

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm just wondering when I'll be able to read more of this story…

I've enjoyed how different the plot is from most stories I've read here and on other sites online.

The Scandinavian countries and the Netherlands seem like places I'd love to live in, but then I'd have to trade my California winters for the much colder ones in Northern Europe. I just saw a sneak preview of The Danish Girl and the film is so beautiful. (Except for those orange apartment blocks that look like they might have been designed by Soviets.)

I'm just wondering when I'll be able to read more of this story…

I've enjoyed how different the plot is from most stories I've read here and on other sites online.

Thank you for the compliments, I'm glad you like the story. I hope to get another chapter written and posted during the Christmas holidays.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a 6,000+ words chapter ready for edit. Originally, I meant to write more, and right now the chapter ends on a small teaser.

On the other hand, I've run out of steam, and I think you've been waiting too long as it is.

So can I have a vote here, please. Should I send the chapter to my editors as it is, and post it asap, or should I try to write on?

Edited by Timothy M.