So... Kevin is NOT Killer, which is a relief! But that poor drugged guy is dead???

We don't know anything yet Irri, cuz Cole is toying with us and won't tell us anything...not even tiny little hints!!

He is just like Sasha and Mann....

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 2

We don't know anything yet Irri, cuz Cole is toying with us and won't tell us anything...not even tiny little hints!!

Lol, first off I don't need him to tell me anything, I'm just leaping to conclusions wildly and I see no reason to stop.

Secondly, it's right there in the new blurb! Death of an innocent? How many characters is Cole going to have murdered, he's not Patricia Cornwell (and thank god for that). I am a simple reader. If I see a character who's been poisoned and then get told a character is dead, I'm going to assume it's that guy till someone tells me different.

• Like 1

Secondly, it's right there in the new blurb! Death of an innocent? How many characters is Cole going to have murdered, he's not Patricia Cornwell (and thank god for that). I am a simple reader. If I see a character who's been poisoned and then get told a character is dead, I'm going to assume it's that guy till someone tells me different.

I'm not like Patricia Cornwell. Im more like Agatha Christie. Btw, And Then There Were None was one of my favorite books! *giggle*

• Like 1

Lol, first off I don't need him to tell me anything, I'm just leaping to conclusions wildly and I see no reason to stop.

LOL, me too, jumping I mean...where I am confused is that I think it is possible that killer is the one who drugged himself with one of the pills meant for the intended victim because of what he mumbled before they took him home...the innocent could have got the other two pills...Killer was told it was no big deal what he was being paid to do...see..we both jump with no help from anyone :huh:

• Like 1

Headstall, I'm pretty sure (hee hee) that Killer was the orange haired guy standing around the bar afterwards. Remember Killer has an appliance on top of his head? And he (edit: weird guy) was well enough to function. 

I thought "just one" was a reference to the drinks he'd had. But of course I can't prove it till the Judge's letter is read. Wait... where am I. What's happening? Leslie...?

Edited by Irritable1

I'm not like Patricia Cornwell. Im more like Agatha Christie. Btw, And Then There Were None was one of my favorite books! *giggle*

Oh Oh....another wrinkle...glad you are enjoying this because I think we are too... :P

• Like 1

Headstall, I'm pretty sure (hee hee) that Killer was the orange haired guy standing around the bar afterwards. Remember Killer has an appliance on top of his head? And he (edit: weird guy) was well enough to function. 

I thought "just one" was a reference to the drinks he'd had. But of course I can't prove it till the Judge's letter is read. Wait... where am I. What's happening? Leslie...?

Now I am even more confused...I am going to have to reread everything...sigh...

• Like 2

Women go back to work at 6 weeks PP-- have to, if they want to keep their jobs--all the time. I did it myself. It's extremely common.

I haven't even read the story yet, so it's sort of fun to read the forum, in spite of spoiler danger. None so far, I think.

Anyway seeing the discussion about how soon US moms have to go back to work makes me shake my head. Over here (in Denmark) women used to have 6 months paid maternity leave after birth, and four weeks pregnancy leave before their due date (eight weeks if they are public employees). A few years ago the maternity leave was increased to one year, and of those twelve months half can be used by the father (though not many men do). The official recommendation for full breast feeding is four months, and most women keep going for 6-8 months to supplement baby food.

Now the down side of the long maternity leave is that women who are likely to reproduce sometimes have difficulty getting jobs, especially in the private sector. And the longer maternity leave is bad for their careers compared to men. But I think everyone agrees that the first six months are vital for the development of babies, and the idea of handing your 6 or 8 weeks old baby over to strangers in order to go to work would be met with horror.

Sometimes I'm happy to pay huge taxes, I just have to be reminded what the benefits are. And even though I'm not too keen on babies or kids in general, I guess using taxes to pay for maternity leave seems OK.

• Like 1

Now the down side of the long maternity leave is that women who are likely to reproduce sometimes have difficulty getting jobs, especially in the private sector. And the longer maternity leave is bad for their careers compared to men. But I think everyone agrees that the first six months are vital for the development of babies, and the idea of handing your 6 or 8 weeks old baby over to strangers in order to go to work would be met with horror.

Sometimes I'm happy to pay huge taxes, I just have to be reminded what the benefits are. And even though I'm not too keen on babies or kids in general, I guess using taxes to pay for maternity leave seems OK.

OMG I've started and deleted so many posts. I think on a site that says GAY AUTHORS we could at least acknowledge that extended MATERNAL leave that is only taken by WOMEN will leave dad pairings at a bit of a loss... and a difficulty in both moms finding jobs will affect female-headed households even worse...

Edit: and it's not just you, Timmy, but people always talk about the kind ladies at daycare as "strangers" and it's so unfair, because they were darling. The baby Glint was 5 months when she went, so it was different, but she would shriek and try to leap into their arms from across the room.  And when I came to pick her up they always wanted to brag to me about some awesome trick she could do. They loved her, and she loved them. I know not everyone is so lucky, though.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

When Wings was little ( seems like yesterday ) I had the advantage of grandma taking care of her until she was 3 years old and no longer able to keep up with her. At that point we felt like a daycare would be good socialization for her before she began school, and in fact always referred to it as school.  

There were many moms with children around Wings' age who chose to put careers on hold to be stay home moms, at least for a while. I found myself looked down upon constantly for "abandoning my child" to the ministrations of someone "you don't really know".  It infuriated me to the point where one neighbor and I ended up in the middle of the street with the strollers, me shouting at her that if I don't really know my own mother, how the hell can she trust the baby sitter she hired off the internet last night so they could go out to dinner.

The differences in support and attitude, even among new mothers, is staggering. Every lady needs to make the decisions for themselves based on their circumstances. The fact that hormones can get royally screwed up after giving birth, severely affecting not only their health but also the decision making process, is what makes PPD so wicked a thing to deal with. For years it was passed off as "the baby blues" and mothers were told to just "snap out of it and deal".  Thankfully medicine has come a long way, but there is still the issue of mom recognizing something isn't right and telling doc about it.  In our circle, the mom who had a bad case of PPD was the LAST person to realize it. 

• Like 2

Hee. The Glint spoke up to reserve me for a few months of childcare sometime between 2036--2046. (edit: well actually she said, "when I have a baby," which in her estimation varies anywhere between menarche and grad school and I'm saying 2036 at the soonest. I guess her partner will have to cast the deciding vote)

Back on topic... OH MY GOD this is getting so complex. I'm starting to really like Scott and feel empathy for Kevin and his poor formerly-conceited mother... I don't even want to think about what a blow this would be to her inflated ego. Will we see her, Cole?

Killer though, is just getting creepier by the moment. And Trey is just a big old hypocrite. :angry: Didn't he run from Brody because Brody said he loved him? 

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2

The glimpse into the next chapter...Is Brent reading where Brody is working???

And I agree with you Irri. Kevin's desperation really got to me. Can such a horrible character be redeemed? Maybe it is that underdog thing but I find myself caring about him probably too much. Trey is an unknown to me right now. Is he just trying to prove a point to his friends because they called him on his shallowness or is he being genuine? Sometimes I really hate serial stories...the frustration of being patient is maddening especially if the author plays with us. Of course Cole wouldn't do that...Right?

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 2

Thanks Irri and Gary! Kevin is a very important character in this story. His 'redemption' is part of the ebb and flow of how we try and fail from time to time. If you think Killer is bad now, hold onto your garters! Wait until you meet Lloyd! Oh, and Irri is going to love Jaxson.

But no, i promise not to play with your heart strings or emotions.

Now where is that emoticon for the little devil guy? *giggle*

• Like 1

I'm kind of wondering if in a story with so many addicts we shouldn't expect to lose one. 

I would hope it was say...Killer...and not Ma or Kevin. Ma, because she has made it this far and Earl likely needs his mom. And Kevin, because I want to see if he can redeem himself. Killer...well, he just seems crazy...but after we learn his story...who knows..

• Like 2

Yeah but it doesn't work like that does it...  :( Oh well, Cole is as much of a sap as we are, so I'll hope for the best  :P

I think you are right about Cole..it's what I love about him. His writing is very real, but it is always textured with things that shows that he understands what love is (hence the sappy) and the commitment it takes and the value that has. When he tells a story it is never about titillation. It is about making us feel real feelings while he entertains us. he doesn't use short cuts or cheesy plot devices. He doesn't create drama for its own sake. He builds characters that we can get to know, count on and cherish and when he is done he always leaves me feeling good about being a gay man. With Cole, we are always allowed to hope for the best. He is an author I can count on, even when he drives me crazy :huh: This isn't what I was going to say but...I do tend to ramble...Cheers...Gary

• Like 3

His writing is very real, but it is always textured with things that shows that he understands what love is (hence the sappy) 

:hug:

That was very kind of you and now I'm weepy, in a good way. 

:rolleyes: ... ...  :glomp:

You guys. I will depart before I get any worse. Edit again... actually I'm sorry if I've made you feel awkward or embarrassed about expressing emotion. It's probably too late, but I apologize.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

Clearly Brody isn't over Trey. You don't try to hide yourself away from a guy if you're completely over him. :P The only question is what's still lingering that he can't let go of - true bitterness, or attraction that he hates is still there?

Also: When do the events of Loring Lane Chapter 9 take place in relation to the Button timeline?

• Like 1

The events of Voice of the Garden happened a year before this story. When Brody put up the sign saying Louis' Memorial Garden, it was the summer before Andy's birth.  This story starts about two months after the end of Button.

good question!

• Like 1