Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

Guess I've been thinking about Bortai since I got her ashes back yesterday...a nice dark copper urn, just need to fill out the form for the plaque. I haven't looked at the paw print or the sample of her fur--just looking at the urn made me cry.

I'd imagine so, must be hard. :no: What will you do with the urn?

• Like 1

A little progress on 32 yesterday...should be more today.

Guess I've been thinking about Bortai since I got her ashes back yesterday...a nice dark copper urn, just need to fill out the form for the plaque. I haven't looked at the paw print or the sample of her fur--just looking at the urn made me cry.

Sorry, Buddy.

• Like 1

A little progress on 32 yesterday...should be more today.

I'm really sorry you're dealing with all of that CG. Hopefully soon your memories will bring you less tears and more smiles as you think of her. :hug:

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Wrote a little more last night, maybe more progress today...breaking in a new character is hard.  Oops. :X

Bortai will take her place next to Chula on the mantel above my fireplace, along with my cat figurines and other old tinware containers. It'll be a warm spot in the winter, and she can finally be where her brother first set foot--he jumped up there as a kitten, but started to fall and grabbed onto the cloth runner I had there--pulling down half my cat figures to shatter on the tiles below...the other halp I saved by catching then, and him, in my arms.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Wrote a little more last night, maybe more progress today...breaking in a new character is hard.  Oops. :X

Bortai will take her place next to Chula on the mantel above my fireplace, along with my cat figurines and other old tinware containers. It'll be a warm spot in the winter, and she can finally be where her brother first set foot--he jumped up there as a kitten, but started to fall and grabbed onto the cloth runner I had there--pulling down half my cat figures to shatter on the tiles below...the other halp I saved by catching then, and him, in my arms.

That's a nice idea...a warm spot for her to be over the winter :)

Started Chapter 32, meant to do that in the evening, but it was really hot and the fan in the window seemed to be blowing in warm air, so I was debating putting in the window AC unit, when I dozed off...really gotta work on getting my cycles straightened out again. :)

Any way, I'm not a wiz like my beta Gary, so I'm only about 300 words in, but that's in the space of about ten minutes from a cold start. I'll let y'all know there is a surprise already. :X Multiple POVs, won't say who yet.

I looked at a current schedule for the school in my story, and they have a week break in the Spring, as well as Good Friday off. I don't recall being off for that day, so maybe it was a half-day...and I know that we didn't have any break in the Spring--that began the following year '77-78 as a way to add snow days which could be made up as needed. The '76-'77 year (Senior Year for JM) was the cause of that with it's huge blizzard which had us snowed in for three or four days--even the plows couldn't get out, and I remember the interstates being down to one lane each way with bulletins telling people to stay home unless it was an emergency.

Tentative titles: Trian and Error, and Out of The Woods. Open to suggestions. :)

Wow, so there WAS a major snow event in the winter of '76...? Haha, that's kismet 

• Like 1

Chapter 32 is up...hope you guys like it. Gary gave it the wonderful title of 'A Day of Delightful Delays'...I was completely blank.

His axe was very sharp, and very precise, causing me to excise about two or three sentences of tedium relating to roads. :)

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 1

Here's a link to the trailer for this movie from 1973, which starred Christopher Lee. A great suspenseful film about modern-day heathenry. Far, far superior to the more modern version, and much truer to the novel! You can get it at Amazon, or watch the movie on YouTube with a bit less picture quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZuEsT1zk8

Watch this clip first--for some reason it was deleted from the above, and it is vital to the movie as it sets out why the constable goes there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDY0D0fRSeI

Edited by ColumbusGuy

It's fairly recent that I "discovered" Jay & Miles and have finally read up to the last chapter. I really enjoy the story and you can add another fan to your list.

I was pleasantly surprised to find Calvin's grandmother to be of Dutch heritage and her late husband's name to be the same as my father. The reason she doesn't speak Dutch anymore is understandable. But the Danish in the story really makes up for that.

Happy to see the next chapter is cooking on the stove (or is that Dutch oven?).

• Like 3

Wow, Hunter, thanks for joining us! I've loved your reviews elsewhere, and I hope to see bunches here. :)  Well, insightful or whimsical posts in the Discussion would off-set that.

My own family background is German, and my prompt about WWI is based on family stories my father told me...for 75 years the family passed down their language and customs, but after that war, it was so unpopular that my father only picked up a few words, but he said all the aunts, uncles and grandparents spoke it when they wanted to keep secrets from his generation.

Jay's family name is technically German--it's one of my ancestors' surnames...but I put them near the Danish border so I could harrass Tim for Danish words. :P  (Just kidding, Tim!)  I altered Mikey's last name from being similar to mine in case someone would recognize it--so I picked one of English stock like my mom's ancestry.

I've always been fascinated by the early Dutch colonists here--the earliest book I bought from an elementary school book service was about a kid transported back to New Amsterdam and the time of Peter Stuyvesant--for the life of me, I can't remember it's name, but it was a brown paperback and had a drawing of Stuyvesant on the front with his wooden leg.

Chapter 33 is at about 4k, not done yet, maybe half-way.

OH--and Jay & Miles is #67 on the longest stories list!  Yay!

• Like 4

Sorry for all the notifications--I've been editing my chapters to remove all the indents, which will be mandatory once the new software is up. Seems from an old Help question of mine, the new software will give Readers the option to see the text with indents, so those put in by the authors have to go--you get a notice, then if you don't do it, your chapters are supposedly removed from GA.

No clue when this starts, but I had a little time and needed a distraction. Only five chapters of JM to go....

Chapter 33 is moving along.

Just sent Gary the first part of Chapter 33--it's just over 5,000 words, maybe two-thirds of the way done. More than two POVs, so bear with me.

You have it back now, buddy... It's very good ... readers will love it...

• Like 2

Something weird was wrong yesterday--I picked up where I left off after sending it to Gary, and got about another 400 words, and it just didn't feel right, so I deleted them...total progress yesterday--0 words. :(

For those of you who might think Jay & Miles is interminable, there are ideas floating around for it to end after Linda's Graduation. There WILL be a sequel, which takes up in their Senior Year...the question is what about the summer--right now, I'm thinking a chapter or two with some scenes spread over those three months rather than a daily or weekly journal like we're getting now. I'm not sure, but I think it would be too long for a Prologue...

Ideas, O Faithful Readers?

• Like 1

That could work SD, thanks! I forgot about an Epilogue.

The only idea I was coming up with was a sort of novella, maybe calling it 'Interlude' or something. I was seeing it as a collection of scenes rather than broken up into chapters, but that could get confusing since there are three couples to keep tabs on.

I hope more people speak up...I seem to be getting the cold shoulder. :)

• Like 1