Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let y'all know, I've been trying for nearly a week to start Chapter 46...I had an idea, but it wasn't right in the context I meant to use it, so I was stymied for a while...well, I'm sneaking it in under a different guise, and the words started coming out an hour or so ago.

Not a lot of them yet, only 1300, but it's a start, and they feel right.  Gotta thank Tim M for one of his ideas, which has enabled me to work my little idea in...and in a better way than I'd planned.  :)

• Like 1

Moving right along, words are still coming out, 3,020 so far, and it's time for me to put the laundry in the dryer...then have a snack.  Been ungodly hot all day, and still not very comfortable.

Maybe Gary will have something to read in a couple days, barring heat stroke.  :)

• Like 2

Moving right along, words are still coming out, 3,020 so far, and it's time for me to put the laundry in the dryer...then have a snack.  Been ungodly hot all day, and still not very comfortable.

Maybe Gary will have something to read in a couple days, barring heat stroke.  :)

Cool... just don't send it to me on the weekend... I'm going to have a VERY full house... my daughters Jack and Jill overnight party... xo

Dare I assume boyfriends are attending?  :)  I certainly don't want to add to any potential headaches....

I'm not sure yet how long this one will be, so there's no estimate of completion to give you.  As usual, I'll be needing a title, so wrack the brain cells for that idea.

Had a short nap by accident, now that it's cooler maybe I can concentrate on the boys again.

xoxoxo

Dare I assume boyfriends are attending?  :)  I certainly don't want to add to any potential headaches....

I'm not sure yet how long this one will be, so there's no estimate of completion to give you.  As usual, I'll be needing a title, so wrack the brain cells for that idea.

Had a short nap by accident, now that it's cooler maybe I can concentrate on the boys again.

xoxoxo

Should be clear by Sunday night... at least I hope so... xoxo

I heard there's supposed to be rain sometime this weekend, but don't know how much.  It sprinkled for all of one minute earlier, and it's as hot as before...sigh.  Need a good storm to move this crap out of Ohio.  There's an occasional breeze, but not enough to alleviate the heat so far.  Maybe later tonight.

Only a couple lines so far, did some reading and caught up on sleep, maybe I'll be productive again.  :)

I need to check out the link, Tim.  I don't know how my narration software will handle it--it's good for text, but useless for pictures.  For normal images I don't get a lot of detail, maybe cartoons will be different?  SATW is certainly my favorite comic strip ever.

I feel guilty for not needing any Danish lately...I think I'll need some when Uncle Mikkel comes for graduation though. 

• Like 2

I need to check out the link, Tim.  I don't know how my narration software will handle it--it's good for text, but useless for pictures.  For normal images I don't get a lot of detail, maybe cartoons will be different?  SATW is certainly my favorite comic strip ever.

I feel guilty for not needing any Danish lately...I think I'll need some when Uncle Mikkel comes for graduation though. 

Luckily that specific comic is mostly text and apart from the tearful face of Denmark at the end, the drawings are less important.

You're still using the Danish words you have already learned, so I'm happy. Perhaps a few more 'Tak for mad' after meals at Jay's house would be nice, but not essential.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

My friend Derik, who bought me my new pc, and installed the narration software, told me a friend of his uses an app on a tablet which describes pictures very well, but he didn't think it was worth getting a tablet when I mostly wanted to surf and write again.  :)

It's odd you mention that phrase--I was planning on using it in this chapter.  Great minds think alike I guess, or else I'm predictable. 

• Like 3

How do you say 'the day from Hell' in Danish?  :)  I had one which started with a storm late Saturday.  I don't know if what happened was a result of a close lightning strike or what, but I noticed a couple hours later that I was having internet trouble, then with my cable tv.  About 2a.m. my cable went out, and then I couldn't connect to the 'net.  I gave up trying about 5a.m., and napped, waking up with no cable or internet about noon.  Finally got a customer service number for the ATT people, but no hours on Sunday...then at my very last try I got a number different from the one I'd been using, and got hold of a real person from tech support.

The weird bit was that my phone still worked, though it's part of the bundle.  I was telling him my problem, and he looked up a few things, and said he'd call me back...then my power went out for the second time today.  First time was only about 5 seconds, the second time, which interrupted my tech call was half an hour.  My roommate got the power company, who said it would be out for up to an hour due to lines which fell across the city power ones, and they had to wait for the other company to clear theirs first.  So, the tech guy calls back in two hours as planned, runs my roommate through a manual reboot of my cable equipment, and I had net and cable back--yay, I'm safe, right?

No, the power goes out twice more in the next two hours, so I can't even work on my current chapter...but once it was finally back on around 9p.m., I still had my connections.

I was so frustrated I just read some online here for new chapters I follow, and may try to be original again Monday.

Sorry, G-Man, you won't have my chapter yet--maybe Tuesday?  Unless a tornado carries my house off to Oz or something...and I'm not talking about the Land Down Under.

• Like 3

We would often say 'en Tycho Brahe day' meaning a Tycho Brahe day after the Danish astronomer who for some reason has been connected with bad luck. A direct translation of a day from Hell would probably be a day in Hell = en dag i helvede. Or you could say en helvedes dag.

Thunder storms are a good reason to have your power lines in the ground rather than hanging in the air. We're gradually making the changes in Denmark. The bad part is the trenching destroying tree roots.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

That's totally hilarious--I've read about Tycho Brahe, and the crater named after him is used in my sci-fi story as the main Neanderthal city on the Moon.  I have no idea why he could be a symbol of bad luck,  I wonder if it's explained somewhere?  I could see it happening to Percival Lowell and the downgrading of Pluto.  :)

Alas, the narration software didn't work on the comic, which is as I feared...I'm gonna miss reading them.  I received an email with the latest today, and it wouldn't read it at all, so I don't know if the site itself would be any better.

I always loved the way Denmark was in a semi-gay relationship with Norway, and Sweden was definitely in one with Aland...I still think the banana-eating contest was my favorite of all time!  And who could forget Iceland's penis museum?  Shudder....

Back to my chapter, 4k now, not done yet because I went out with my friend Mike to eat pizza and do some shopping, then he played with some stuff on my pc, downloading a new operating system for himself to copy and take home.  It's one I've not heard of, not Unix or Linux or MacOS, or any form of Windows.

Back to shoving around the pixels!

• Like 1

That's totally hilarious--I've read about Tycho Brahe, and the crater named after him is used in my sci-fi story as the main Neanderthal city on the Moon.  I have no idea why he could be a symbol of bad luck,  I wonder if it's explained somewhere? 

Yes it is. It's mentioned in the general piece on him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tycho_Brahe but explained in depth here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tycho_Brahe_days

• Like 1

Sent Gary Chapter 46 an hour ago, it's almost 6k words, and with his discussion on TW tomorrow, I doubt he'll have time to get on it right away...so it'll be ready when it's ready, as the saying goes.  :)

Good luck, G-Man--knock 'em dead!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, just to let you know, I started Chapter 47 earlier tonight--up to 500 words so far.  I was floundering for a start, and got an idea around 3A.M., so I can't say where it's headed yet, or who all the players will be, but so far, it's one we haven't heard from for a bit.  Maybe you'll be interested?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Tim...it's hard for me to do that now, so I'll just let it go as I added my comment to the one for chapter 12.  I haven't been ffeeling good this past week, so I guess I was a little clumsy.

I haven't missed any chapter of yours, have I?  I can't recall any, but it's too hard for me to follow discussion boards anymore with all the extra crap the narrator has to read besides the post texts--drives me nuts, and I'd wear out my carriage return or down arrow skipping items.  :)

I feel bad for lazing around rather than working more on my current chapter, butthe energy levels are still low.

I'm sure I'll need more Danish soon, so don't despair--maybe you can think of a line I need which could inspire me?

M

Nope, I haven't really been productive this summer. :( I'll let you know directly whenever there's a new chapter posted.

I'm happy to send a PM for you to Cia if you want, but as you say, you explained in the next reply. I think you're doing well in keeping up with reviews so don't worry about not following forums.

And take it easy with the writing, too. I'll go check out the last chapter again and see if I can inspire you with some Danish. Did you have store bought Danish in the 1970'ies? I'd love to know what Rosalind thought of that travesty, lol.

I'd appreciate a heads-up when you post something, if it's been up for one day and I haven't said anything, then that means I missed it in the queue...I've tagged CC and Prompts to notify me, so I should get the news.

I figured I'd read a few chapters ahead of Geron's reviews so I'd remember what went on...and, well...okay I just finished re-reading the last chapter.  Is it weird that I choked up over some of the scenes in my own story?  Is that like Carly Simon said 'So Vain'?

• Like 2

I'd appreciate a heads-up when you post something, if it's been up for one day and I haven't said anything, then that means I missed it in the queue...I've tagged CC and Prompts to notify me, so I should get the news.

I figured I'd read a few chapters ahead of Geron's reviews so I'd remember what went on...and, well...okay I just finished re-reading the last chapter.  Is it weird that I choked up over some of the scenes in my own story?  Is that like Carly Simon said 'So Vain'?

Nope. It means you're invested in these characters. You love them. I do the same thing, CG, and at first I thought it was weird, but I've come to realize they're part of my family xo

• Like 2

Thanks, G-Man...I've never been vain, more of the opposite actually, so I was afraid something was wrong with me.

It's a good thing I did listen to them again, because I caught a couple errors we both missed, usually hitting 0 instead of o, and I had to go in and fix them.  There are probably one or two others I missed, but one is I typed 'though' instead of 'thought', but I can't remember where it was--somewhere in the high 30s I think. 

The big glaring thing I'd love to fix is where at the end of one chapter Greg and Denny follow JM back home rather than go shopping with Cal and Benny, then in the next one they follow them to the mall to get Calvin new clothes.  I could fix it with a sentence or two, but that wouldn't fix it on Nifty...and it's hard for me to do more than a couple letter changes in the Editor.  :)  At the moment you have to put it down to Miles mistaking another car for Denny's, or something like that.

• Like 2