I have a question?

Hi all I am not someone who frequents here a lot but I am a member and an avid reader of some of the stories here. A friend of mine who used to be a member a long time ago before he passed got me interested in this site. A little about me. My name is Jonathan. I am a graphic designer and an avid reader. I truly am finding myself enjoying this site but alas this will be my first post. So I have a dilemma. A few years back I was given a notebook that belonged to my friend that I mentioned earlier. In the notebook there were details and story arcs written as notes for my friends stories. A family member asked me if I could revise and finish his stories. Which I began doing and began to really enjoy. The problem is that I want to share these stories but I don't know if its right. My friend passed away in 2006 and he was a very important person in a lot of our lives so I wanted to do this as a tribute but I don't want to take credit for his work. How would I go about that? His family wants me to do it and I want to do it I just don't know how to present it. 

That friend I believe used to have a popular blog here before he passed and may have been friends with a few of you. Please email me if you'd like to know who it is I want to keep this private until I can work this out. So I guess my question would be what do you think? Can anyone give me advice maybe? Would anyone read it? Any response is appreciated.

thanks 

JDM

• Like 1

I think that you want to honor your friend is commendable. You should be quite proud that his family trusts and encourages you in this endeavor.  

I hope you find a way to make it work.

Yeah go for it :) It's pretty common in publishing and TV etc to develop another person's ideas - "based on an original idea by xxx" "developed from a story idea of xxx". Printed books may even have a dedication and/or an explanatory note. I'm sure you'll come up with something appropriate. The important thing is to get the stories up on GA for all these hungry readers :P

• Like 1

The family has asked you to revise and finish? - great.

You wish to make a tribute to your friend? - great.

You'd like to share the enjoyment you've gained from your efforts so far? -great.

JDM, it sounds like a labor of love which has already rebounded to reward you.

Accompany each story with the explanation you gave in your post and it's completely appropriate to publish.

Edited by Iarwain
  • Like 1

Yeah go for it :) It's pretty common in publishing and TV etc to develop another person's ideas - "based on an original idea by xxx" "developed from a story idea of xxx". Printed books may even have a dedication and/or an explanatory note. I'm sure you'll come up with something appropriate. The important thing is to get the stories up on GA for all these hungry readers :P

I agree with Zombie -- It does seem common for writers to use ideas and themes originated by others to as a springboard to create new material. I would post the stories you finished as co-authored by both of you. It would be a great tribute to your friend. I have a thick folder of incomplete story ideas and I love the idea that someone I cared for might carry them to fruition if I couldn't.

Maxx

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys thank you for your comments. I have been talking with the Admin here in order to find a way to add the revised version of Green's story "A hero in the hallways" here. I am sorry for the silence but I wanted to make sure I would be allowed to do this before commenting. I can say now that I will be posting a revised version of the story to GA. I wanted to give you guys a little background as well. I met Green when I was five he lived across the hallway from me and we became friends over our love for books. We were best friends for a time until I moved away but we never loss touch and spent several summers together when I came back to visit family. Green loved his characters and he loved to write. Green was a big part of our lives when he was here and he always shared with us his work. Before his passing he was in the middle of revising his stories. He never finished and I wanted to honor him by finishing what he started. I hope to do the same with his second story "Mr. Black sings a Sad song."

I want to thank you guys for your kind words. 

-JDM

• Like 3

I've been following the thread since you made the first post, JDM. I didn't make the connection with your friend, the author Green. I very much enjoyed reading 'A Hero in the Hallways' and I'm glad to see the positive feedback you've received from the membership and the administration. I am very interested in reading more of his work. I wanted to let you know this.

• Like 1