Walking for 10 Hours in New York City as a Woman

In a bid to end street sexual harassment, the non-profit Hollaback has released a video that shows a portion of the catcalls and sexually suggestive comments that a woman receives during 10 hours of silently walking through Manhattan while wearing a relatively modest outfit. The video has gone viral, having received over 20 million views. Check it out:

10 Hours of Walking In NYC As A Woman

As a man, I definitely find that pretty eye-opening. I just don't get why some men feel like they're entitled to treat some random woman they don't even know like she's obligated to flirt back with them.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Back when I was young, and skinny, :P and prone to wearing loose jeans that hung on my hips with midriff baring tops, which still only showed maybe 2-3 inches, I can recall walking home one evening, in a tiny town, along the highway. A car of older guys, 20s most likely (I was 16) drove by calling out to me and suggesting I let them take me for 'a ride'. When they looped a block and came back again to do the same, I took off running.

Knowing you're not as strong as most men your size, or bigger, even if you know how to fight, is something women just have to deal with. It's a disgusting fact of life that some men are crude jerks, too and take advantage of the fact that most women will try to ignore or avoid rather than confront them on their stupidity. That's why I carry pepper spray now, and sometimes even a gun (though that's usually for four legged predators on hikes, not the 2 legged variety).

I've been to NYC by myself and have walked those streets with no problem. Maybe I was lucky. I blend in with the homeless. Of course, I didn't dress up and I covered those assets of mine. I wear no makeup. Maybe I blended well. Maybe it's because I've grown up trying to make sure no one's looking at me. Maybe because I go looking for danger, so danger doesn't go looking for me.

Or maybe because these things happen all the time? My mom told me that she had to make herself look ugly so that the pirates of the sea won't take notice of her, so that stuck with me, and I acted accordingly ever since.

I've been to NYC by myself and have walked those streets with no problem. Maybe I was lucky. I blend in with the homeless. Of course, I didn't dress up and I covered those assets of mine. I wear no makeup. Maybe I blended well. Maybe it's because I've grown up trying to make sure no one's looking at me. Maybe because I go looking for danger, so danger doesn't go looking for me. Or maybe because these things happen all the time? My mom told me that she had to make herself look ugly so that the pirates of the sea won't take notice of her, so that stuck with me, and I acted accordingly ever since.

I've never gotten it, either, in New York or anywhere else. Maybe for some of the same reasons, the way I dress, that I'm not really anyone's idea of attractive. Not that that always makes a difference. Maybe its because the initial impression I give when walking down the street is...kind of intimidating. So I've been told, I seem really angry and possibly violent. Most people don't want to poke at you if they think you're just looking for an excuse to strike back. Of course, maybe I've also just been very lucky on this front.

• Like 1