So if you can't afford it....?

Okay, so my daughter and I were just at LuvNBerry, which is a frozen yogurt shop where you choose your ice cream and pile on as many toppings as you want (of course my daughter is the queen of little bit of ice cream with LOTS of toppings!).

So anyway, we were sitting there and two teens come in, and they asked for sample cups.  The clerk handed them each one, which they proceeded to fill, eat and then ask for another sample cup.  The clerk, rightfully I think in this case, told them they could only have one.  One of the girls tried to argue with her that they should have more, to try more flavors.  So they proceeded to refill their little cups and then leave without buying, which was obvious from when they first started asking for cups that that was what they were going to do.

So, then..... we are sitting there finishing up our ice cream and a young adult man comes in and asks (no, joke): "So my bank account is dangerously low, if I don't have enough, can I write you an I.O.U.?"  

Of course, my first thought was, so if you don't know if you can afford $5-$6 of ice cream, should you even be buying it?

I have to hand it to the young clerk though, she handled both situations really well by talking to her manager about them.  

Just had to voice my OMG moment because I was floored.

hmm, seem to recall when I was a teen life was all about pushing the envelope. No-one got killed, they got some free ice-cream and they got a life-lesson on boundaries thrown in for free too. All sounds good to me :P

Edited by Zombie
  • Like 2

hmm, seem to recall when I was a teen life was all about pushing the envelope. No-one got killed, they got some free ice-cream and they got a life-lesson on boundaries thrown in for free too. All sounds good to me :P

True, and I've seen other kids do similar things. I think it was the adult asking if he could write an IOU for the ice cream that did me in.  I think it would have been one thing if he wanted to write and IOU for something necessary--like real food or pampers for his kid or something, but for ice cream?  It was just that both of those things happened in the same 30 min. 

• Like 2

You didn't mention if their appearance led you to believe they seemed to honestly be down and out or if they merely seemed to be taking advantage of the situation.  I would suspect the latter, since I don't see ice cream as being at the top of my list if I were really destitute.  However, as Zombie stated, it's a fairly harmless stunt. 

Well, the girls I think were definitely taking advantage of the fact that you can ask for a sample to taste the new flavors.  So yeah, harmless, just shockingly bold in my opinion, as I would never want my own kids to do something like that--but who knows, they might, just to test their limits.   

The man though didn't look destitute at all, in fact, he had a set of big earphones around his neck connected to an ipod, with a leather coat.   

the young adult male was how old-ish?

because i'd say he appears to have small understanding on how the world works...

However remember America's poor would probably considered Rich in other countries...

And He could just be bad with money and/or has bad impulse control...

Which could also mean he's bipolar... or it could be all of the above...

just because you can't afford something doesn't mean you won't try to buy it sometimes... and if you start going into the red because of it...

with some people it's i see, i want... therefore i buy...

shit i have no more money... i want that... i want...

so on.

I had a similar situation last month. A teenager walks in, asking if he could have a ten cent envelop. I said no. Normally, I have a tip jar I use in case a customer runs short of change, but really? There's only so much tolerance I have for those that do not feed me. Apparently, since I can't hunt or fish my own food (I'm a carnivore), I need money to purchase meat/seafood to fill my stomach.