Gay country music singer?

We are occasionally informed that another professional athlete has come out as gay...but a country music singer?  Is this a first?

Singer Herndon reveals he’s gay

Image_16.jpg

Ty Herndon had three No. 1 hits in the 1990s.

Ty Herndon, who topped the country charts in the mid-’90s with “What Mattered Most” and “Living in a Moment,” has come out as gay.

“I’m an out, proud and happy gay man,” the singer, 51, told People during an interview Tuesday.

Herndon says he began coming out to family members when he was 20, but he tried to keep it a secret during his music career.

“My mother probably knew I was gay before I did. I remember sitting down with her and having the conversation,” Herndon tells People, adding that his family “has seen me struggle with being gay my whole career.”

In 1995 Herndon was charged with possession of methamphetamine and exposing himself to a male police officer in a Dallas park shortly before he was to perform at a state police chiefs’ convention there. He entered a “plea in bar” of no contest to the indecent exposure charge, allowing it to be erased from his record upon completion of probation.

He topped the country charts two more times after the arrest, in 1996 with “Living in a Moment” and in 1998 with “It Must Be Love.” His last single to reach the country top 40 was “Heather’s Wall” in 2002, and his last album was 2013’s “Lies I Told Myself.”

— Brian Mansfield, USA Today

And then shortly after, another fellow country singer came out shortly as well! Billy Gilman, born 1988, was someone I listened to in my teen years ("One Voice" topping that country Billboard chart) mostly because he was just a few months younger than me and I thought he was adorable haha.

Edited by Allan
  • Like 1

Chely Wright came out as a Lesbian a couple of years ago. She had a number 1 album and a few top songs before that. I always thought Ty Herndon was sexy, so of course he's gay. :P

• Like 1

Yup, Herndon is the first gay man to come out--and, actually think there have been a couple of lesbians that were out before.  Gilmon came to the party the day news of Herdon's coming out occurred. 

Good on all of 'em!

The think I find so sad is the extent Herndon went to cover up who he was....he was married (to women) twice, and both married him knowing he was gay (according to his interview).  What a terrible way to live life being that trapped!  Glad he's out, glad his male partner is in his life.

• Like 1