Every writer has a time where they need to create a scene around something uncomfortable. This can be someone being fired, a death in the family, or breakup. Your challenge is to create such a scene and include as much detail as you can. What is the setting? What can we see or hear? Is the person sweating or can we smell antiseptic? Involve as many of the senses as you can in your scene and bring it to life.

• Like 1

"Judge Kirkland, this is Marilyn Aultman from CPS. I'm here at the hospital and we've got a situation."

The clock on the Judge's night stand read eight-thirty. "What can I do for you Mrs. Aultman?"

"May I bring in Sheriff Dalton into conversation?"

Judge Kirkland sat up in bed and said, "Sure Marilyn."

There was a click and Roy Dalton's voice joined the conversation, "Sorry to bother you at home your honor but we've had a very disturbing incident and we need your help. As you are aware we've got the devil's own nor'easter blowing out there. Earlier this evening we got a 911 call about a woman and a boy being bit by a county truck carrying road salt from the warehouse out on route 320. My deputy and an ambulance got out there and it's Betty McCullough and her son Jimmy."

"Betty is dead and she was so drunk I don't see how she was upright. The kid is in bad shape and might not make it through the night. We need a court order so the docs can do emergency surgery."

The Judge said, "I'll have an order signed and faxed to the hospital two minutes after I put the phone down. Roy, what in the hell happened? Who would be out in a storm like this?"

Sheriff Dalton said, "It doesn't look good Andy... I mean your honor. The kid was shot in his left shoulder and the mother had a pistol in her hand. My investigator Sully says it looks like she shot the kid in the kitchen and the gun jammed. The kid hauled ass out the front door with his mother chasing him. The truck driver didn't see either one of them until he was almost on top of them. The kid just got clipped by the truck and thrown in a snowbank. The mother got hit dead on."

Judge Kirkwood asked, "Isn't this the family that had a big problem with domestic violence a few years ago? I thought CPS was monitoring them."

Marilyn Altman said, "That case was assigned to Sandra Boltwood."

"Jesus wept", Kirkwood exclaimed.

Altman just said, "Yeah. How she got away with filing false paperwork on her caseload for eighteen months, I don't know. She figured since there was a divorce and the husband was out of the picture so everything was fine."

Kirkwood growled, "Marilyn, this is the third case like this we've had because of Boltwood's incompetence and neglect. I think I might have the DA look into filing charges against that bitch. Her being fired isn't enough. This has cost lives. Is there anything else we can do for the McCullough kid?"

Sheriff Dalton said, "Call Pastor Miller. The kid deserves last rights."

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...