I admit to being a tad confused about vampirism here--logically we know they don't exist except as foltales, Vlad Dracul was just a sadistic warrior and not the Lord of the Undead, though there have been others down the ages who thought drinking or bathing in blood rejuvenated them.  Read Bram Stoker, seen the Lugosi movies and even read Baring-Gould's book on lycanthropes, so not totally ignorant of the subject.

And yet, we have the ice-cold lawyer-banker, the vamp-Goths in Bucharest, and now the cheesy Lugosi wanna-be in Sigisoara...the Curse points to more than natural events going on, as does Daj and Silviu's powers, and the peculiar events of the unknown balcony climber and the ravens at the funeral...like any good Gothic tale, AC is going to keep us guessing, sitting on the edge of our seats, biting our nails and looking over our shoulders at the slightest draft or skittering of little claws on the floor.

A little break in the sexual tension wouldn't come amiss, AC. :)

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 3

Buddy came over and convinced me to go out to the bar with him tonight. Straight bar. It's like sending a kid into a candy store where you can't open the display cases.

Never mentioned in my reviews how much I like Michaels parents. He's lucky to have such supportive and perceptive people around him.

I like Michael's parents too, as I assume you are talking about Headstall's Cards on the Table! I was a bit surprised by Kendall's mom, but pleasantly so when she stood up to that tremendous bully, Carson. I think Gary is very brave to tackle that type of family dynamic, because considering how close it is to the one in which I grew up, I don't think I could do it.     

• Like 1

You know we actually only have the vampire couple's word of them being real wampires. They could just as easily be shamsters who drugged Em and did weird ritual-like stuff to him to scare him.

Yes, except for the fangs in their mouths... ;)

• Like 1

I feel worse for Silviu because Emeric seems to look down on him so much. He also seems more emotionally vulnerable in some way. Emeric seems sort of cut off from the world, somehow: it's like the curse distracts him from what's going on, keeps him from taking his emotions seriously.

As I mentioned in a reply to a review yesterday, Emeric is one of many many people who have always been empathic, but had no real concept that he was actually experiencing flashes of other people's emotions. I think that before such emotionally sensitive folks 'figure it out,' shutting down (or shutting out) becomes the number one key to survival. But I do agree with you, sometimes Emeric is a stuck up prick, and he does look down on Silviu - and Silviu is so wonderful and doesn't deserve that.   

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

As I mentioned in a reply to a review yesterday, Emeric is one of many many people who have always been empathic, but had no real concept that he was actually experiencing flashes of other people's emotions. I think that before such emotionally sensitive folks 'figure it out,' shutting down (or shutting out) becomes the number one key to survival. But I do agree with you, sometimes Emeric is a stuck up prick, and he does look down on Silviu.   

Still? One reason this chapter seemed warmer was that he was actually engaging with Silviu. The moment when he pressed his knee against Silviu's again was so sweet to me, for that reason. It was a beautiful, cleanly written interaction.

• Like 3

I have known Romanians who would object strongly to your casual characterization of their country as a place where you go out drinking and wake up tied to the floor with two would-be vampires boinking on top of you. :lol: I really think that's more of a Western phenomenon. We gave the world Anne Rice and Twilight, after all.

Oh Irri, this really made me laugh. Yes, Romanians I think have an embarrassed and excited view on how outsiders have seen their folklore and oral histories. I have tried to put such thoughts in Emeric's head from time to time, and in the latest chapter, seeing the actor in satin portraying Bram Stoker's Dracula, as opposed to the actual man who was born on that spot, is one of those oddly unnerving moments of overlap. It's so wrong, and yet, maybe due to market pressures, it's what the tourists want and expect. 

• Like 1

Oh Irri, this really made me laugh. Yes, Romanians I think have an embarrassed and excited view on how outsiders have seen their folklore and oral histories. I have tried to put such thoughts in Emeric's head from time to time, and in the latest chapter, seeing the actor in satin portraying Bram Stoker's Dracula, as opposed to the actual man who was born on that spot, is one of those oddly unnerving moments of overlap. It's so wrong, and yet, maybe due to market pressures, it's what the tourists want and expect. 

I was unfair to poor Tim though, because I was carried away by the joke. Tim did you mean that the horror of the scene was worsened to Em because he was a foreigner in a new country? And that it wouldn't have had the same power over him at home?

• Like 1

I admit to being a tad confused about vampirism here--logically we know they don't exist except as foltales, Vlad Dracul was just a sadistic warrior and not the Lord of the Undead, though there have been others down the ages who thought drinking or bathing in blood rejuvenated them.  Read Bram Stoker, seen the Lugosi movies and even read Baring-Gould's book on lycanthropes, so not totally ignorant of the subject.

And yet, we have the ice-cold lawyer-banker, the vamp-Goths in Bucharest, and now the cheesy Lugosi wanna-be in Sigisoara...the Curse points to more than natural events going on, as does Daj and Silviu's powers, and the peculiar events of the unknown balcony climber and the ravens at the funeral...like any good Gothic tale, AC is going to keep us guessing, sitting on the edge of our seats, biting our nails and looking over our shoulders at the slightest draft or skittering of little claws on the floor.

A little break in the sexual tension wouldn't come amiss, AC. :)

Thank you, ColumbusGuy. So far, the sex shown in the book (with the exception of Louis and Maria) has been the 'bad' kind where advantage is taken or exploited. With Laszlo's reluctance to just toss his page to the bed and have his way with him, we glimpse the first taste of what might blossom in an equitable sexual exchange where no 'power' or control is sought. The 'good' sex is coming, and coming soon :)  

• Like 2

I was unfair to poor Tim though, because I was carried away by the joke. Tim did you mean that the horror of the scene was worsened to Em because he was a foreigner in a new country? And that it wouldn't have had the same power over him at home?

Yes I think the surroundings, both the country and the Club and his 'dream' and perhaps even his mission, put Em in a more receptive mood than he would have fallen into at home.

• Like 2

Still? One reason this chapter seemed warmer was that he was actually engaging with Silviu. The moment when he pressed his knee against Silviu's again was so sweet to me, for that reason. It was a beautiful, cleanly written interaction.

Yes, and thank you for saying it is beautiful...I always feel those tender moments of trying to reach out are the most challenging to write, but the most rewarding to read when they work. The ice was broken on the train ride, and then Emeric's romantically-skewed heart was set alight by the room that Silviu chose for him...so, things are thawing.

On the looking down aspect, I hope that Cole will chime in here, because in the current chapter when Emeric asks Silviu if all 'Romani men cheat as a matter of course,' my beta reader found that moment to be a perfect example of how crass and snobbish Emeric can be. But Silviu took it pretty well, as we can imagine such a stand-up guy would. 

• Like 2

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/they-may-take-our-lives-but-they-won-t-take-freedom-1-1397766

Just a bit of information about that statue. It's not from the movie, but inspired by it. A recovering sculptor made it to overcome his illness. I think he was depressed and watched the movie, got all excited (as you get from 90's Mel) and started carving.

I've seen it up close and it is hideous. There's no other way to put it. But I like the story behind it. If he got better, then it's not so bad.

• Like 1

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/they-may-take-our-lives-but-they-won-t-take-freedom-1-1397766

Just a bit of information about that statue. It's not from the movie, but inspired by it. A recovering sculptor made it to overcome his illness. I think he was depressed and watched the movie, got all excited (as you get from 90's Mel) and started carving.

I've seen it up close and it is hideous. There's no other way to put it. But I like the story behind it. If he got better, then it's not so bad.

That's a great article...I suppose it will wind up staying right where it is...

I love how the reporter says it's "the biggest piece of iconic art to come out of Scotland in the 20th century." Wow, cruel but funny too...no one like Gibson's face on the damn piece either.

• Like 1

AC, just to let you know, there are a lot of things I notice in stories and leave out of reviews because they'd turn into books if I tackled every paragraph. :)  I think you can guess from my own chapters that the little details are important to me as well, and I certainly spot them in yours--the knees in the latest chapter got me excited because it was just such a fantastic visual image, bold but subtle and hesitantly hopeful on both their parts. 

Alas, if you aren't straight, you have to be circumspect in your public displays...maybe some day that will change, but I figure I'll be long gone by then, or unable to respond properly by then. :)

• Like 3

I was just reading an article on new trends in cooking here in Sweden and guess what? One of the chefs claimed Irish moss was one of her favourites at the moment. From never heard of it to reading about it two times in a short time. Weird...

• Like 1

In chapter 20, I have used one of the favorite spectral animals of British folklore. A Giant Black Dog…but what are they supposed to look like? Like this, and every report seems to agree that the eyes are red, glowing, and as large as saucers:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/1222161_f248.jpg

But don't worry, they are all legend anyway…or, are they? Look at this article to get a general orientation on the phenomenon:

http://stockton-heath.hubpages.com/hub/Lore-and-Legend-of-the-Black-Dog

But one dog in particular keeps coming back to the forefront. He was called Black Shuck, and here is the fiery damage he did to the door of the Church of the Most Holy Trinity on the night of August the 4th, 1577. During a fearsome thunderstorm, the giant black hellhound killed a man and boy, and used his flaming claws to rip open the locked church door so he could escape into the night. 

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://40.media.tumblr.com/d6a3514eb179b8e6d8904f759c1c0044/tumblr_nig29xE3US1u2roero2_500.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/the-black-shuck&h=640&w=480&tbnid=aLBEhDQWh5KesM:&zoom=1&docid=tom4gX2Ex7q1NM&ei=dFoHVZGgCcHLsATqpIKQCQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CDEQMygGMAY

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://williamhusseyauthor.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/engblythburghchurchblacfa8.jpg&imgrefurl=https://williamhusseyauthor.wordpress.com/tag/william-hussey-witchfinder-dawn-of-the-demontide-folklore-fens-lincolnshire-hellhound-devil-dogs-black-shuck/&h=700&w=469&tbnid=K4Yu1oTWPe-9aM:&zoom=1&docid=roRx7fe2tR-cwM&ei=dFoHVZGgCcHLsATqpIKQCQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CC0QMygCMAI

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/saintak/markcloseup1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.paranormalsoup.com/forums/index.php?showtopic%3D29632&h=650&w=488&tbnid=zp6sFveU2bFNrM:&zoom=1&docid=qsPfODajZGAmOM&ei=dFoHVZGgCcHLsATqpIKQCQ&tbm=isch&ved=0CGYQMygzMDM

Giant black dogs inhabit British folklore and date back to at least the 1100's, when the first encounter was chronicled. If these creatures are supposed to be phantom entities, then what explains the physical evidence that shows the havoc they've wrought? Well, here is the archeological findings of a 7-foot long dog who was buried at just the time Black Shuck went on his rampage. More physical evidence to show these fearsome creatures were actually seen by survivors and victims alike. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2629353/Is-skeleton-legendary-devil-dog-Black-Shuck-terrorised-16th-century-East-Anglia.html

And if you need more fuel for your nightmares, here are some modern encounters with giant black dogs; these are real, firsthand stories:

http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=10756

So, what are your thoughts? Do you have any experience yourself with these creatures?

• Like 1

I see a black lab quite often :lol: His tail makes an eerie thumping noise where it hits the walls and you can hear his claws go tck-a-tck, tck-a-tck on the floors like a death watch beetle... yeah, no :lol: If I saw a red-eyed dog I'd probably wonder if he had conjunctivitis. That's the kind of skeptical mindset that will lead me to a hair-whitening experience on a lonely drive somewhere.... specially since I sometimes catch sight of my own HAIR out of the corner of my eye at night and scream in terror... but even then... a huge black dog? :lmao: A Newfie? I'd LOVE a Newfie! I just can't get myself in the right mindset.

Edit: two thoughts: 1) I wonder if the skeleton is of a biggish wolf? Maybe in the plague years a hybrid got big?

2) I'd love to see a ghost story about a dog that can't stop guarding its house.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

Oh, you liked that one, Tim? What a shock!

Just kidding, it takes one to know one, right? I really enjoyed that chapter too. Aren't we a pair of wanton vikings..? I'm getting really curious about the connection between Em and Sil and Ahmed and Junayd. I won't even guess...

• Like 3

Aren't we a pair of wanton vikings..?

It's always pleasing to see a stereotype substantiated :P

With the exchange of blood thing, I have a puerile comment and a (hopefully) metaphysical one to make  ;) First, opening up a fingertip and pressing it the bleeding one of your buddy is a boy thing, so I can see that moms would glance askance upon it. I think I remember even doing it with a kid when I was around eight – it's part of being boys and forming bonds (imo). Now, grown-up me says that this book is about myth and magic and the hidden things, so these blood oaths are taken very seriously in Romani culture, and a bond like it is a lifelong commitment. How it is supposed to work on the folklore level is that the partner's blood stays in the other's body, etc., and can do damage. On the level of a 'true understanding,' it works in a spiritual way: the betrayer knows that his partner's life force has had access to his body and can spiritually seek his revenge through this connected pathway. If you or anyone has more thoughts on this ritual, please, please, pretty please post them on the forum. I'd love to explore this further…

What I really liked about the blood bond was the feeling of the new blood finding a home in each partner, and their heartbeats aligning. There's an element of fairy tale about it. I just loved it.

Now, if we were getting into the earth-mother stuff again :gikkle: which I swear I'm not trying to force us into, we could discuss 1) the taboo power of menstrual blood (I've heard of present-day Wiccans putting a little on thresholds) 2) the blood connection between a fetus and its mother, and the small internal separate heartbeat. I think that's what I found so attractive about the image: the idea of life shared in the most elemental way.

• Like 1

Irritable1 sent a review for chapter 22 via email. She's kindly allowed me to post and reply to it here so everyone can enjoy it.

Oh ho ho, AC, now THIS is interesting! First off, Junayd's "love you like a brother" thing was right up there with Emeric's "I'm sure he's out there," for affectionate insensitivity.  Poor Ahmed! I felt terrible for him.

I liked the banquet scene a lot. I liked the word "nihility." Gretza's apparent arousal at the tale of impalements was appalling. And then I had assumed that it would have been one of the slaves who had put the curse on Emeric's bloodline, but I guess it wasn't, huh? Dracula himself... Now, THAT is ominous.  Will we see more of Vlad Tepes?

But I do very much like the implication that there is a long-distant protective force that the Turkish prisoners might bestow on the modern couple.

Oh ho ho, AC, now THIS is interesting! First off, Junayd's "love you like a brother" thing was right up there with Emeric's "I'm sure he's out there," for affectionate insensitivity.  Poor Ahmed! I felt terrible for him.

I liked the banquet scene a lot. I liked the word "nihility." Gretza's apparent arousal at the tale of impalements was appalling. And then I had assumed that it would have been one of the slaves who had put the curse on Emeric's bloodline, but I guess it wasn't, huh? Dracula himself... Now, THAT is ominous.  Will we see more of Vlad Tepes?

But I do very much like the implication that there is a long-distant protective force that the Turkish prisoners might bestow on the modern couple.

Thank you, Irri, for a great review! You caught, or should I say 'exposed,' the moment here that was meant to connect Ahmed and Junayd to where Silviu and Emeric were in their relationship. The modern boys took a step beyond their fears, and I hope that this little moment in the courtyard hints our historic boys are primed to do the same, and soon.

Haha on nihility, as that's a Melville word (one that sounds like Melville, doesn't it?!). As far as seeing more of Vlad Tepes, oh yes. We will see a lot more of him!

Thank you again for your review. I appreciate all of your continued support.  

Edited by AC Benus

Wow. Thank you, Tim. With something like this, over which I have worked for so long and had to work at so hard, it almost makes me feel giddy to see something totally new. You have given me that.

I've never ever considered that Ahmed being forced to have sex with Lady Gretza was his final 'fucking without love' moment; the fact that he HAD to think of Junayd was his breakthrough, his 'fucking with love' transformation, which he needed to be able to complete the act.

WOW back - I thought I pointed to something which was intentional by you. I'm quite amazed this idea came as a surprise and new insight. Makes me proud to have seen it, but it does seem logic, doesn't it?

Maybe it was a subconscious process for you? Writing something which simply seemed 'right' without spelling out why this was so.

• Like 1