• Site Administrator

This story is very special to me.  It has been around in some incarnation since I was in high school.  Joshua first appeared in a short story I wrote when I was in ninth grade!  He and Galen are my two all-time favorite characters of mine.  Their story isn't an easy one.  They encounter a lot of obstacles along the way and endure their share of tragedy.  You are probably going to hate me during parts of this story, so be warned! lol  I hope you come to love these guys as much as I do. I plan on posting a new chapter every Thursday.  I am currently working on Chapter 11, so I'm hoping there won't be any delays in posting. 

[sharedmedia=stories:stories:4667]

• Like 1

Thanks for this story.  I am enjoying so far.  It'll be interesting to see how Josh and Galen get over this first big obstacle.  Of course, at this point I have no idea what kind of relationship Josh has.

Good work.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Thanks for reading and commenting.  You'll learn more about Josh's boyfriend in upcoming chapters.  I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. :)

Well, since Josh doesn't really leave the farm, I think Roger might find Josh in a not so boyfriendly position. I think his indifference to that situation will set Josh off. Sometimes, when you are in a bad relationship you end up trying to sabotage it just to get a reaction.

In this case, however, I doubt Josh actually cares enough about Roger to do that. After 8 (!) years of this kind of relationship, neither party can be deemed to be all that interested. Seems more like convenience.

Maybe Roger just finds himself someone new...

Edited by Puppilull
  • Like 1

Well, since Josh doesn't really leave the farm, I think Roger might find Josh in a not so boyfriendly position. I think his indifference to that situation will set Josh off. Sometimes, when you are in a bad relationship you end up trying to sabotage it just to get a reaction.

Hmmm I hadn't thought of that.  Josh really doesn't leave the farm.  Maybe Roger catches Josh with Galen (even if its just a hug or something) and tries to make it a threesome?  That would set Josh off....and affirm that Roger really doesn't give a crap about Josh or the relationship.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

As I told Valkyrie in a PM, I've just finished Chapter 2, and I loved it. I've been having flashbacks of the way Galen raised his hands, latched onto Josh's face and pushed him against the barn. What a kiss! - Smoking hot and romantic at the same time.

• Like 1

Ok, I just read and reviewed chapter 4, and then read the other reviews. I suppose there are some hard feeling, and allegations of Galen being a 'home wrecker.'  ;)  In every way I can see where these comments are coming from, but I see it slightly more complex than that.

In chapter one you very skillfully paint a psychological portrait of Galen: injured, emotionally shut down, lonely, and wanting to hole-up and say f-you to the whole world. You also carefully give a ray of hope in the form of a caring family member, and Liam is an all-around nice guy.

Into that mix, you add attraction – STRONG, powerful, overwhelming attraction. It's so strong that it would be unfair to say it sweeps Galen off of his feet, but more like kicks him down to the ground. In his fragile state of seeing himself by turns as a failure, or victim to his ex's cheating, he is pretty defenseless to Josh's allure. Therefore, I don’t blame him for kissing Josh even after he is told there's a partner in Josh's background. Galen is perhaps best understood as an anti-hero in the classic literary sense, but unlike Don Juan who actively pursues and beds conquests, Galen is a reluctant anti-hero. He is passive, and although his behavior has just as much potential to effect other people's lives as an active anti-hero, Galen is damaged goods and just coasting along.  

At least he tries to stay away from Josh, and if not for meddlesome folks like Liam, he would; he could. But, if those two are actually together, sparks will roar into flames and I do not think Galen has any evil malice to show us in his heart.

Now, as to why Josh acts like this, I have no idea! You will need to give us more intel on our hunky mystery man with a short fuse (temper, that is – his other fuse I hope you will be describing very soon as well). :P

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Wow, AC.  I love your characterization of Galen as the anti-hero.  You also make a very good point about the fact that Galen did try to stay away, his cousin had other designs, though.  Josh's history and motivations will be slowly revealed.  Right now, he's a bit of a mystery and his actions reveal an individual with a lot of issues.  The origin of those issues have yet to be revealed, though.  Don't judge him too harshly.  ;) 

• Like 1

I think we all make our own choices, some good and some bad, regardless of other people's actions. We have to take responsibility for how we act towards other people. That said, I think it is important to remember that there are always reasons for people's actions and in my experience very few people set out to be hurtful or mean. Even when I worked criminal law, I only came across a handful of "bad" people. We are in short products of our past. So to call Galen a homewrecker is unfair, because that's not what he's doing. He tries to stay just friends, in spite of the very strong attraction. Josh won't let him. If anyone is to blame in this situation, it's Josh. Somehow though, I suspect there's a back story there too.

Galen should however take a good look at himself and realise he's not really interested in Ethan. A little honesty there would be welcome.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I think we all make our own choices, some good and some bad, regardless of other people's actions. We have to take responsibility for how we act towards other people. That said, I think it is important to remember that there are always reasons for people's actions and in my experience very few people set out to be hurtful or mean. Even when I worked criminal law, I only came across a handful of "bad" people. We are in short products of our past. So to call Galen a homewrecker is unfair, because that's not what he's doing. He tries to stay just friends, in spite of the very strong attraction. Josh won't let him. If anyone is to blame in this situation, it's Josh. Somehow though, I suspect there's a back story there too.

Galen should however take a good look at himself and realise he's not really interested in Ethan. A little honesty there would be welcome.

Thank you for such a thoughtful post.  You are right...none of these guys are bad people.  Sure they have their flaws, but we all do.  There is a backstory to Josh that will be coming up in a few chapters.  I hope it will help everyone to understand him better.  He's really not a bad guy. 

I'm pretty sure I'm caught up on all the reviews now.  Thank you for being so patient while I was recovering! 

Edited by Valkyrie
  • Like 1

He, he... This week I've battled a UTI, a severe cold and a three day management training course. In short, I'm beat...I understand if you need to take a little time to catch up. I saw you updated and am looking forward to reading it when the kids are asleep.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

That last sentence was actually meant to be a separate post and a generic "you" as in "my readers". :gikkle:  For some reason, it got tacked onto the last post I made.  I'm recovering from a bout with the flu, UTI, and dehydration that landed me in the ER for a night.  It's taken over two weeks to recover and I'm still not quite 100%.  I hope you feel better soon! 

I have to admit I gave up on the story the moment I found out that Josh was unable to act rationally and break up with his abusive and indifferent boyfriend in order to honestly pursue / explore the mutual attraction between him and Galen.

But I may give it another chance once it's finished, since I liked Galen and his cousin and the story is well written.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I have to admit I gave up on the story the moment I found out that Josh was unable to act rationally and break up with his abusive and indifferent boyfriend in order to honestly pursue / explore the mutual attraction between him and Galen.

But I may give it another chance once it's finished, since I liked Galen and his cousin and the story is well written.

Thanks for your honesty, Tim.  I hope you'll revisit it once it's finished.  This isn't an easy story with a quick HEA.  The characters all have their flaws, but please have faith that I will resolve them.  Hopefully in a manner that the reader will find satisfying. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

My posting schedule for The Hollow Hills will be slowing down for a little bit.  Unfortunately, I'm all caught up on posting the chapters I have written.  Or I will be once I get chapter 11 back from my editor.  I am currently writing Chapter 12, but it may take a couple weeks for me to finish writing it and pass it through my writing team.  I apologize for this.  I had eight chapters written when I started posting and thought I'd be able to maintain a couple week cushion for posting, but not writing for a month has thrown that schedule off.  I am going to do my best not to leave you all hanging, but it might be a couple weeks in between chapters now.  Thanks so much for all the 'like's and reviews.  The feedback really means a lot to me.  :)

• Like 1

I'm so fascinated by this discussion. I made so many mistakes when I was younger in my life. I'm making mistakes now. I have yet to meet a person who didn't.  In fact, while most people don't act reasonably when in love, they act rationally in what they perceive is their best interest. Such an illuminating interaction about what constitutes an interesting story and gives us a taste of honest emotion, is refreshing.  What we think is right and see compared to how others feel is the enormous magic 8 ball of life.  Shake it up!  Val, keep going and don't look back. I'm not saying this with any extra insight except I think you want to say something important. Do it! 

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I'm so fascinated by this discussion. I made so many mistakes when I was younger in my life. I'm making mistakes now. I have yet to meet a person who didn't.  In fact, while most people don't act reasonably when in love, they act rationally in what they perceive is their best interest. Such an illuminating interaction about what constitutes an interesting story and gives us a taste of honest emotion, is refreshing.  What we think is right and see compared to how others feel is the enormous magic 8 ball of life.  Shake it up!  Val, keep going and don't look back. I'm not saying this with any extra insight except I think you want to say something important. Do it! 

Thanks so much, Cole.  Your input has been invaluable with this story.  Chapter 11 will be posted soon and I am diligently working on Chapter 12.  I should have it to you soon!  :hug: 

• Like 1

The ladt chapter really made me mad at Galen! Ethan is a sweet guy who's so in love with Galen and Galen is like "Whatever..."

I just want to grab Gaken, shake him and yell in his ear "You'll break his heart!" The worst part is he's aware of this all along. It's ok to make a few bad decisions, but to lead someone on for this amount of time knowing you only think it's for "fun"... Building self esteem can be done without using other people.

Maybe I come across totally inconsistent since I don't have any problems with Galen going after Josh. I guess it's because in that relationship, he's honest and in relation to Ethan he isn't.

Edited by Puppilull
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I don't think Galen is being nonchalant about his relationship with Ethan.  Yes, there is a disparity between the feelings of the two men, but Galen is not setting out to intentionally hurt Ethan.  He's trying and wants to make it work.  I understand your frustration with him, though.  It's easy for us to see the flaws in the relationship, but sometimes it's not so easy when you are the one in the relationship.  Thanks for your comments. :)