Wanting to write a story

All I can say from my personal experience is that you can't force anything.

I started by keeping a journal/diary. I'd write down what happened to me, my feelings, ideas I had, basically anything.

When I had a story idea I would write the idea down in the centre of a piece of paper and then write everything that came to mind around it.

Now when I have an idea I just jot down notes till a story line takes shape and even then I can change it as I write.

I suppose what I'm trying to say and probably babbling too much in the process  :whistle:  is that everyone writes differently. you need to find what works for you, and that can change as you get more experience and confidence.

Just write from your heart. :heart:

Good luck :hug:

Edited by Cazpedroso
  • Site Administrator

The Writer's Corner has a lot of information on writing, as well as the Editor's Corner. Creating a plot with characters believable to readers is just as important as the technical skills such as knowing how to punctuate, use proper tenses and POV, avoid head hops, etc... I'd also recommend starting off small. We have weekly writing prompts featured in the blog and the Writing Prompts forum that could provide you with inspiration on something to write, and the expectation is that the prompts will generally lead a writer to create a flash fiction piece under 1000 words. These are usually some sort of 'Slice of Life' where you don't have to delve too deeply into the backstory and setting or create a complex cast of characters, which can be easier on new authors.

If you decide to post, make sure you check out our posting guidelines and how to information in the Help topic: New Author Help: How to Post a Story, which can be found through the Help tab in the red menu bar.

• Site Administrator

I'm going to go back further than what's been talked about. When I started, I had an idea (you're not going to get far as a writer unless you have an idea). My concern was whether I could transfer the emotions I felt in a particular scene into words on paper. So I wrote that scene. I looked at it, decided that enough of the emotions were there, and then went back and started the story. Whenever I got stuck, I would go back to that scene and tweak it, trying to bring out the emotions even more. That continued until the scene was ready to drop into the story.

So, before you go any further, imagine a scene and try to write it. If you're not sure you've succeeded, show it to someone and ask them not only if you think it's captured what you were trying, but if you haven't, what's missing. If you want a completely independent test, try doing one of the weekly prompts and posting it in Writing Prompts forum. It's good practise and an excellent way to help yourself develop. You can post the scene that's derived from the prompt in the forum thread if you like.

• Like 1

Writing is a different experience for everyone some days I can't stop ideas coming other day they dont show up at all, just go with the flow and when the words come make sure you either have a laptop, notepad and pen or any other form of writing material on standby.