Here's the link to the story of arrogant, difficult Neil and down-to-earth, easygoing Kevin... or are they? 

This is a very popular serial, but the modest author has posted Chapter 25 and as yet no discussion forum has been created to house some of the passionate response that the story's ignited. Still... better late than never! 

• Like 5

I'll kick off by saying that, without too many spoilers, Ch25 absolutely killed me and my review comes from a place of sheer fury :lol:.

Still, we've got an interesting situation now. Neil's used to relying on his athleticism, his looks, his brains, and his charm (well, such as it is...) He's now got to woo and win Kevin from a position in which he can't really use any of those. Heck, he's even relying on Kevin to wipe his butt, which is very unsexy. So I think that's a really brilliant approach from EB Wilson... and the thing is, these two really haven't spent much concentrated time together. Can Neil find out what really happened back when Kevin was 17? Maybe making him this vulnerable is the only way to calm Kevin's fears?

• Like 2

Hey Everybody,

As I told Irritable and Timothy, I am still amazed at how a story that I started writing just for fun, has morphed into a hotly debated topic in GA. I've tried to keep it real and I should say that my own feelings about Neil and Kevin have undergone significant changes as the story has progressed. These days I don't find Neil to be quite as annoying whereas Kevin is perhaps more annoying because he hasn't changed.

I have made solemn promises (joking!) to both Irri and Tim that I will contribute fully to the Forum. I will try and answer any questions as quickly as possible but I hope people understand if private life and work sometimes intervenes. :)

I guess there's nothing else to say except I hope you continue to enjoy the story as it unfolds.

Cheers

Edward

Edited by Former Member

I'll kick off by saying that, without too many spoilers, Ch25 absolutely killed me and my review comes from a place of sheer fury :lol:.

Still, we've got an interesting situation now. Neil's used to relying on his athleticism, his looks, his brains, and his charm (well, such as it is...) He's now got to woo and win Kevin from a position in which he can't really use any of those. Heck, he's even relying on Kevin to wipe his butt, which is very unsexy. So I think that's a really brilliant approach from EB Wilson... and the thing is, these two really haven't spent much concentrated time together. Can Neil find out what really happened back when Kevin was 17? Maybe making him this vulnerable is the only way to calm Kevin's fears?

First off, I am REALLY happy to have a place to vent about Kevin "Bloody" Ross (and Neil) :lol:  

Irri, I think I agree with you...maybe Kevin needs to see Neil be vulnerable in order to start seeing how much he has actually changed.

And Tim:  A Peter Fan Club is an excellent idea!

• Like 3

Irri, I think I agree with you...maybe Kevin needs to see Neil be vulnerable in order to start seeing how much he has actually changed.

Yeah... and I'm trying to approach this in the spirit that 1) don't have to deal with Kevin, Neil does, so if he finds him attractive and lovable, that'll just have to be good enough for me as a reader and 2) Kevin must really be terrified out of his mind to treat Neil in this way.  And maybe no man before Neil has really been gentle enough with him to calm him down? Even Neil has only given him a couple of weeks. I guess we'll have to see...

It's complicated because what Kevin proposes to do to Connie really is pretty terrible.

• Like 1

Yeah... and I'm trying to approach this in the spirit that 1) don't have to deal with Kevin, Neil does, so if he finds him attractive and lovable, that'll just have to be good enough for me as a reader and 2) Kevin must really be terrified out of his mind to treat Neil in this way.  And maybe no man before Neil has really been gentle enough with him to calm him down? Even Neil has only given him a couple of weeks. I guess we'll have to see...

It's complicated because what Kevin proposes to do to Connie really is pretty terrible.

I guess most of Kevin's behaviour can be blamed on fear and being "in the closet" .  I am ok with the fear.  I get it.  He has a daughter..what happens if he comes out, does he lose her?  etc etc..  I am also OK with him being in the closet, if that is where he feels comfortable right now, then that is his choice.  My objection is the yo-yo routine with Neil.  Neil TRIED to stay away from Kevin and Kevin sought him out.  If he doesn't want to come out of the closet than leave Neil alone, especially because he KNOWS how Neil feels about him.  

I agree about the Connie situation as well.  It is a terrible thing to do.  Why drag another person into this mess?  He doesn't love her.  he has to know this.  Why subject his little girl to growing up in a loveless marriage.  What does that teach the poor kid?

• Like 2

So much has changed in the story... When it started Neil was a bit of a self centered asshole (a loveable one though) and Kevin was, well, Kevin, but he was mostly ok.. Now chapter after chapter we have seen Neil grow up and change, becoming a sweet guy, putting his shit together but Kevin.. He deffinitely sticks to the scotish twat nametag these days. It's understandable being closeted and afraid, but he might as well stop mind fucking Neil, grow a pair and start being a man, it's about time.. This being said, I am not in a hurry to see this happening because this would probably mean the end of the story and that is something I'll be very sad to see happening so, Mr. EBWilson, please be kind to us readers and allows us to enjoy a wee bit longer or have some new and brilliant story ready to fight the withdrawal syndrome some of us are going to face when this is over and above all, thank you <3

• Like 3

I actually liked Neil, even in the beginning when he was a self-confident, immature brat who fucked his way through life. It was easy then for Ross to dismiss him as not worth his while, and indeed Neil wasn't the right choice for Kevin to lose his heart to in the beginning. Not for a man who was scared of leaving the closet and who wanted true love

The funny thing is Sharon (Neil's boss) saw Neil's potential to be come much more than the shallow playboy, and this is why she pushed him and hoped the leadership courses would mature him and bring out his qualities. Well, they did, but not in the way she expected. But Neil is a man now, someone who care about others and not only himself. Peter has a lot to do with this, I think.

The sad thing is the new Neil, who is capable and worthy of love, seems to scare Kevin even more. :(

• Like 2

I actually liked Neil, even in the beginning when he was a self-confident, immature brat who fucked his way through life. It was easy then for Ross to dismiss him as not worth his while, and indeed Neil wasn't the right choice for Kevin to lose his heart to in the beginning. Not for a man who was scared of leaving the closet and who wanted true love

The funny thing is Sharon (Neil's boss) saw Neil's potential to be come much more than the shallow playboy, and this is why she pushed him and hoped the leadership courses would mature him and bring out his qualities. Well, they did, but not in the way she expected. But Neil is a man now, someone who care about others and not only himself. Peter has a lot to do with this, I think.

The sad thing is the new Neil, who is capable and worthy of love, seems to scare Kevin even more. :(

I think the new Neil scares Kevin because he can't simply dismiss him as a player anymore. This new Neil doesn't want just a hook-up he wants love and commitment. Kevin isn't ready for commitment to a gay relationship.

• Like 1

I think the new Neil scares Kevin because he can't simply dismiss him as a player anymore. This new Neil doesn't want just a hook-up he wants love and commitment. Kevin isn't ready for commitment to a gay relationship.

I think you are absolutely right, the old Neil gave Kevin an easy way out and the option of putting his "feelings/atrraction" back in the closet but the new Neil challenges that and it seems like he is not ready to accept a lot of things..

• Like 1

Well what do you think will happen next?

My guess is Neil will be miserable but not quite as miserable as he was after New year. Kevin on the other hand will be in utter despair, with little Sophie on his case constantly about what an idiot her dad is. The ball is firmly in Kevin's corner and nothing short of him showing up on Neil's doorstep SINGLE will make Neil give him anything more than the time of day...

• Like 3

My guess is Neil will be miserable but not quite as miserable as he was after New year. Kevin on the other hand will be in utter despair, with little Sophie on his case constantly about what an idiot her dad is. The ball is firmly in Kevin's corner and nothing short of him showing up on Neil's doorstep SINGLE will make Neil give him anything more than the time of day...

Yea I think Neil has had enough of the back and forth. He now believes he is worth a commitment and is capable of giving commitment.

I think Sophie will take things into her own hands. Maybe make things very difficult for dad and his so called fiancé. 

• Like 1

I think Sophie will take things into her own hands. Maybe make things very difficult for dad and his so called fiancé.

Ha ha! Yes, she seems resourceful! She's a bit young to get to London herself, but I wouldn't be surprised...

Neil really seems to actually be grounded now and he won't put up with being the bit on the side.

• Like 1

I think Peter or maybe even Hamish might help, Sophie too, but yeah, the ball is now in Kevin's court. If I were Neil I'd just call that underwear model he banged in the first chapter and be done with the scotish twat  :devil:  :devil:

• Like 1

Well, I am not giving up on Kevin! I still believe there is hope as yet. Right now Sophie has the power to make the biggest impact on her dad and I believe she will play a key role in the upcoming chapters. As for Neil and Kevin, I think they will both be a real hot mess. However, now is the time for team "friends" to come forth and make some kind of team effort to get those two back together. And I am talking about all of them, Neil's London mates Nick, Michael, as well as Peter and Hamish and not to forget, Paula who is closer to Kevin in terms of location. And somehow maybe Bertrand's wife? But that is just one possibility.

However, another possibility I find is that Paula's words might echo in Neil's mind while he is alone and recovering in his apartment, which is to "fight for his love". Neil is an intelligent , smart trader from imperial! I refuse to believe that he would go down without a fight!

• Like 1

Thank you for this forum. I too hhave done my fair share at yelling abuse at the two main characters for their respective stupidities.

As far as the future i can see the prospective wife meeting Neil and realising what she was marrying into. Kevin is going to have to be pushed and if his daughter can't do it on her own the bride will do it.

As far as the future i can see the prospective wife meeting Neil and realising what she was marrying into. Kevin is going to have to be pushed and if his daughter can't do it on her own the bride will do it.

Connie already met Neil and hated him the moment she saw him. She is not marrying Ross for love but for selfish gain. :(

Connie already met Neil and hated him the moment she saw him. She is not marrying Ross for love but for selfish gain. :(

What does she have to gain, though? He's a hero, but does that go on forever? He doesn't seem to be as rich as she is. On the bright side, assuming you're right, with a bit of luck, now that Excelsior have taken a hit to their reputation, maybe Kevin will be less of a status symbol.

Maybe Neil turning away from him is the last kick Kevin needs? I must admit I simply can't understand what is going through his mind, but if a final loss is what it takes to make him decide he needs Neil, then maybe it'll be the marriage?

Okay! Wow!

I hadn't realised the strength of readers' feelings about both Neil and Kevin. In the story I have tried to show Neil's growing maturity as he confronts a situation he's not used to, namely wanting a relationship with Kevin. Because of Kevin's problems (failed marriage, single father, dependent daughter and fear of being outed) he's not ready for any sort of commitment to Neil and Neil is finding that hard to deal with. He's a very handsome guy who has always got what he wants but Kevin is different.

As someone who was very closeted (and married) until I was in my late thirties, I know the sort of emotions that Kevin is experiencing. While he is attracted to Neil, he gets frightened by the attraction and then withdraws emotionally. This is the up and down part of the relationship that Neil finds so frustrating. I don't think that Kevin realises how callous he appears when he leads Neil on and then shuts him down repeatedly. Being deeply closeted, he is not really thinking of the impact of his behaviour on anybody other than himself. As his feelings for Neil have strengthened, he has become more fearful of the consequences of any sort of relationship.

This is the dilemma that both Kevin and Neil have to confront.

Cheers,

Edward

Edited by Former Member

I think Timothy has a point, Kevin is the bachelor to catch in his hometown, good looking, from a good family too, hero, he even was the designated guy for that christmas thing at the laird's household (can't remember the name lol) and all of it makes him the perfect trophy husband to show off at events and such. I don't know if Connie loves him or not but he seems like the kind of guy to marry in a "shallow-make the perfect marriage postcard" way.

• Like 1

Okay! Wow!

I hadn't realised the strength of readers' feelings about both Neil and Kevin.

:*)  You've woken the slumbering demons, what can we say? :lol: I think it's that, gay or straight, everyone has a story of having been strung along and maybe ultimately rejected by someone they really wanted... So sympathies are with Neil right now because his distress is immediately visible to us. I do personally feel very sorry for Connie, because the women I've known of who wound up in relationships with gay men were not cruel or bad in any way. Although maybe this character is...

Well, you've taken us on Neil's amazing inner journey and let us see him grow into the man he is now. Of course we will get attached. Some are very hard on Kevin, but I think if I were to suddenly meet the woman of my dreams tomorrow, I too would be really hesitant to change my entire life and self image just like that. Neil might be heartbroken, but at least he knows who he is. Kevin is facing something completely different and new.

• Like 1