X-Files: I Want to Believe...It's Coming Back!

One of my favorite childhood shows is coming back! Woo-hoo!

X-Files Set to Return As Limited Series

Pretty exciting. I remember watching the show pretty faithfully back in 1995-1998...then the show just started losing steam for me. I remember the reruns constantly being shown on FX.

Anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbBX6aEzEz8

What were some of your favorite episodes?

The one I remember the best were these cheerleaders, who because they were born on this particular date in 1979, become bat-shit evil for the day. Another really good one was a family that was...well...very, very close.

There was a lot of fanfic for this show, particular quite a few surrounding Krycek and Mulder. LOL. Anyone wanna admit being an X-files fanfic writer?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

I want to believe... that it's just a horrible rumor.

X-fylz was the biggest tease in television history. It dragged you through every pop culture conspiracy theory and urban myth, tantalized you with clues and never delivered or resolved a damned thing.

If it's back, it's only because there is a huge surge in machismo. Damn spelling checkers. the right word was masochism

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I was a huge X-phile when the series was running.  It's hard to bring something back to its former glory, though.  I'm glad it's only six episodes. I hope they do the original show justice. 

• Like 1

I was a huge X-phile when the series was running.  It's hard to bring something back to its former glory, though.  I'm glad it's only six episodes. I hope they do the original show justice. 

See: Nu90210, NuMelrose Place, NuDallas (although that show started off promising it lost steam when Larry Haman died), etc etc.

I do think this can work, though. The world is just as into the paranormal and sci-fi conspiracies as they were back in the 1990's.

Did you write any fanfiction? That was a fun fandom.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

It sounds good, but unfortunately revised series are seldom as good as the original.  I always looked forward to watch Scully and Mulder and only hope they can capture the same magic.  

• Site Administrator

Did you write any fanfiction? That was a fun fandom.

No, but I did have several recurring dreams involving Mulder...;)  :*)

X-fylz was the biggest tease in television history. It dragged you through every pop culture conspiracy theory and urban myth, tantalized you with clues and never delivered or resolved a damned thing.

every week I forgot the disappointment of the previous week's ending as I eagerly lapped up the opening of the next episode

must be a slow leaner... :/:P

• 2 weeks later...

If it's back, it's only because there is a huge surge in machismo. Damn spelling checkers. the right word was masochism

And you forgot to mention that more than 2/3rd of the show was about specific case-of-the-weeks (monster of the week in XF terminology) which does not need more resolutions than that were provided. Yes, the on-going story-arc (the whole govt. conspiracy thing) was muddled up from the very start, but XF is not considered a classic for that reason. The level of creativity, acting, making and innovations shown in the MOTWs (at least 30-40 great MOTWs) is still hard to catch on TV. I watched XF in 2012-2013, so it's not like I have some childhood bias or something. Plus, I have seen a hell lot of TV shows, from the popular ones like Lost, Game of Thrones, Dexter and Battlestar Galactica to even the cult, unrecognized ones, and I can almost bet that XF is still timely.

Also you need to put things into the context of its time. It was the 90s. At its time, shows weren't released on video cassettes afaik (DVDs haven't appeared) so the need to put a consistent mythology wasn't there as people rarely watched the same thing twice and most couldn't remember what things happened 5 years before. Things like its cinematography, storytelling, execution of ideas, acting, voice narration, overall making are still hard to catch.

And yes, I am a huge huge fan of Gillian Anderson. She's doing The Fall season 3, X Files and Hannibal. Woohoo!!!

Actually most (if not all) TV shows were released on to video cassette.  Not with the same speed they get released to DVD these days - it used to take a year or so from the end of a season until it was released on cassette, but they were extremely popular and sold in their tens of thousands.

Most people also owned a cassette recorder, and simply taped the episodes themselves as they were shown on TV.  Since you could buy a pack of 10 blank cassettes for £5, nearly everyone had large collections of TV series and films that they had simply recorded themselves - many of which still haven't been released on to DVD.

X-Files season one was such a rare thing on video cassette here in the UK (as it was limited to about 400), that by the late 1990s on line sellers were charging over £500 for it and fans of the show were paying it!